EQ Never

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
Yep, so like i said, everyone ends up with bard speed....

(side note, anyone talking about SoW for a speed buff clearly never played a bard going full speed with drum kit...that shit was baller.)
Bard was my main actually. SoW is just usually what everyone else asked for. I sometimes got asked for a pulse of selos, but not often.

I don't even want to think about EQ:N's bard yet. I'd like to see how class changing evolves over the coming year or so. If some restrictions don't get put into place then the bard would be greatly diminished in my eyes.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
this is what scares me the most (and what i know will happen eventually). when everyone has been playing for a while (few months?), they will have several classes unlocked and tiered up. now, when you get together with your friends, instead of being identified as an awesome wizard, or warrior, or enchanter, or whatever it's just: player1: "hey, i played wizard last time, this time i want to be the warrior." player2: "nah, cause i played warrior last time and we did fine so i'll stay as the warrior and you can be the wizard again or the rogue or the cleric." player3: "he can't be the cleric, cause my friend that's coming with us wants to be the cleric, and i'm going to play the rogue tonight." player1: "fine, i'll play the wizard but if that sword drops i still get to roll on it because my warrior is still my main." player2: "no fucking way! i'm the warrior. you can't roll on tank loot." player3: "well, my friend that's coming also plays a warrior so he wants to roll on any tank loot too, and i've been working on my shadow knight so i need to be able to roll on that loot as well, as well as any rogue loot, or druid loot, since i have one of those too. oh, and any monk loot as well."
The low level solo/group stuff wont matter much of who is what class anyway. Remember its 'play your way', so as long as you do some damage and move around a bit your'e golden.

arallu

No. Bard speed will probably be a weapon skill. So you'll have to stay as a bard. SoW on the other hand should be a character ability.

On the third hand, if switching classes drops buffs then it's all good.
What about tracking, i guess it would be a class utility?

Grimey

I just get a bad feeling with that Rosie lady being the art director. I watched part of the world building panel, and she mentioned how she had to start googling for random images to know what to build next.

EverQuest is an existing franchise. It's okay to shake some things up, but there's a limit. Making races not resemble existing incarnations is one of those things that's over the line for a game having an existing title on it. The characters and people we interacted with were a large part of what we identified and connected with.

Instead of someone who had that connection to the franchise, it seems like they got someone who was just a (probably talented) art director, and said "make a fantasy RPG. Oh and one of the races is cats.". Before you go off making a sequel in an existing franchise, you should spend a lot of time IN that franchise (playing the existing games). And maybe she has - I just didn't get that "vibe" from her presentation.

Of course, if the gameplay is amazing, it'll still be a great game, and worth playing. But it won't feel like an EverQuest title.
You probably should have paid more attention. Her entire section of the panel was about experimenting with and building up the new voxel technology. She wasn't googling random images "to know what to build next," she wanted to see if their new tech could reliably recreate existing art.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
When did class and race penalties and benefits become radical ideas in the mmo community? Trolls had natural regeneration perks and it was awesome. Hybrid classes had experience penalties but they had a greater arsenal of abilities and looked cooler than your typical tank class. I just don't understand how features like that became condemned.
Everybody should be able to play anything they want , anytime they want , and however they want.

It makes for excellent games to give everyone everything all the time didn't you know ?

dgrabs_sl

shitlord
When did class and race penalties and benefits become radical ideas in the mmo community? Trolls had natural regeneration perks and it was awesome. Hybrid classes had experience penalties but they had a greater arsenal of abilities and looked cooler than your typical tank class. I just don't understand how features like that became condemned.
Because I think as the genre became increasingly pussified, developers were worried that having racial benefits/penalties were only going to create angst from the part of the player-base that was too stupid to figure them out. Instead of the moron playing a Dark Elf complaining about the Troll having regen and not realizing he had Ultravision as his benefit instead, it was easier to just make the differences cosmetic and leave it at that to avoid the ignorant butthurt.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I think lore based restriction to a certain extent are good.

More races for shamans then EQ1 though since some people of an advanced race are dumb enough to follow cooky ideas coughscientologistscough

tad10

Elisha Dushku
What about tracking, i guess it would be a class utility?
Got me.

Again, I think uniqueness is important. People want to feel like special and unique snowflakes. It'll be interesting to see how EQN can do this.

But, back to Cube World demo, it'll be fun for a while no matter what.

Bruman

Golden Squire
Rosie was the art director of EQ1 and EQ2 and you have no idea how talented her team is. If you could recognize who the people are in that video in the art 'assylum' your jaw would drop. The guy that does pencils? Look him up. Takes years to assemble such an art team.

The less realistic visuals are a result of the fact that every other MMO looks outdated after release and that cartoonish lasts longer. TESO already looks bad. NWN is unplayably bad. You can play armchair art director and disagree with her choice but at least understand that they were not pulled out of an ass but they are the result of market constraints.
For what it's worth, I never said her nor her team were or were not talented. I made the (incorrect) assumption that she was unfamiliar with the franchise, that was all.

I'm okay with less realistic visuals - I'd argue against the "MMOs look outdated if they go realistic and cartoonish last longer" that people love to say over and over, but that's really besides the point (and it does have merit, I just don't feel it has as much as people give it). Like most of us here, I've played lots of WoW, and loved the visual style - for Warcraft. Not that EQ has to be "hardcore realistic" by any means. Someone else on another board described it as "dream-like fantasy", and I think that fits EQ perfectly. Not realistic, brown and muddy and dark and gory, etc, but not something so far removed from reality as to be a goofy cartoon.

But still, that again, isn't my point. It's changing things that no longer fit what makes EverQuest to many of us (not saying all). Ogres and trolls are big and fat. Ogres shouldn't look like orcs and be green. Dwarf women should generally be squat and have beards. Halflings should have nice big hairy feet, regardless of sex (not that we've seen them - I just fully expect them at this point to be cute skinny little girls with regular feet with no hair on them). That's the world of EverQuest as I remember it, and a lot of what makes something (or makes it not) EverQuest to me.

EmiliaEQ_sl

shitlord
The whole LOL design element can work if you take it's important aspects and put them into a game. If you don't understand why LOL works, then you're going to fuck it up. I think LOL in an MMO would work because of a bunch of reasons that have nothing to do with LOL gameplay. Just some reasons where MOBAs can work in an MMORPG.
Honestly LOL would make a wonderful core for a MMO....
Mix Annie, Malhazar, Anivia for fuckton of great spells (AoE %dmg, Cone of Stun, AoE Stun, AoE Silence, AoE Slow) tweak Frostbite,Disintegrate,Fireball and you have your usual spell rotation.
Mix Rengar, Zed, Talon and you have your rogue/assassin
Mix Shen, Jax, Udyr for your bruiser/tank
I'd love to play a MMO with these champions, even if they had 12 skills, and you had to pick 9 of them (kinda like Diablo/EQ1).
Now add spellvamp / lifesteal and itemization problems like "Rod of the Ages" or "Deathcap ?" and it would make a great base for classes.

I'm really worried with their "everyone can be everything".

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Halflings should have nice big hairy feet, regardless of sex (not that we've seen them - I just fully expect them at this point to be cute skinny little girls with regular feet with no hair on them). That's the world of EverQuest as I remember it, and a lot of what makes something (or makes it not) EverQuest to me.
rrr_img_39520.png

I'd almost put money on Halfling and Gnome women looking like this to a degree.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Don't get retarded.
Retarded? You're telling me, with the exaggerated facial proportions of humans, that you don't think that the females of the little races will be made even more so, approaching an anime-like appearance due to it's broad appeal?