EQ Never

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
So apparently EQN is using the VoxelFarm engine to create their worlds:http://voxelfarm.com/vfweb/index.html

That website shows 5 games have licensed the tech so far, EQN being the largest to license it atm. After this debut I imagine many more games will be licensing it too. Basically means that not much money has been invested into creating this tech, even though the roundtable discussion basically makes it sound like THEY created it all. Everything they discussed in the world building segment is what this guy has created, though the creator of VoxelFarm has admitted that SOE has taken the tech to a much farther level.

Here's his blog:
http://procworld.blogspot.com/2013/0...uest-next.html

The engine is just a tool. The EQNext team deserves all the credit in realizing this vision. Their art direction and engineering skills are unlike anything I have seen. I am blown away by what they have achieved with the engine, especially in so little time. I am very proud of being involved in this project.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
When did class and race penalties and benefits become radical ideas in the mmo community?

regeneration is the best power in any game it is present in. green lyfe.
Nope. Troll regen in WoW is shitty shitness.

rrr_img_39522.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@Tad I know they mentioned being aware of class interdependence and doing things to make sure exist. I just don't know how they can pull it off with that system. That's a big thing for me. As we saw EQ class interdependence a big part of building a community and caving out a name for yourself..

In defense of Rosie. At least she's asking and willing to admit she doesnt know it all. Ill take someone like her over a know it all anyday. The ogre/troll thing was a head scratcher but I think she genuinely wants community feedback and to get it she might have to put herself out there like that. So lets not jump on her for it.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
@Tad I know they mentioned being aware of class interdependence and doing things to make sure exist. I just don't know how they can pull it off with that system. That's a big thing for me. As we saw EQ class interdependence a big part of building a community and caving out a name for yourself..
It all depends on the AI really, the monster need to attack us in a way that MAKES us depend on each other. I have an idea for how that will work and posted it earlier somewhere.

Rosie Rappaport ?@Rosierap 5m

Ok ok! Want fat Ogres? Tell @JButlerSOE that you love your fatties!

https://twitter.com/JButlerSOE

Get to it.
Everquest Next finally got me to sign up for Twitter.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Rosie was the art director of EQ1 and EQ2 and you have no idea how talented her team is. If you could recognize who the people are in that video in the art 'assylum' your jaw would drop. The guy that does pencils? Look him up. Takes years to assemble such an art team.
EQ2's Western release models were some of the ugliest lumps of shit ever made. Seriously looked like someone rolled Play-Doh through a cheese grater.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It all depends on the AI really, the monster need to attack us in a way that MAKES us depend on each other. I have an idea for how that will work and posted it earlier somewhere.
Combat is part of it but for me it's even just on a utility level as mentioned. Like SoW, other buffs, ports, tracking, etc.. Those things helped build relationships as silly as it sounds.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Retarded? You're telling me, with the exaggerated facial proportions of humans, that you don't think that the females of the little races will be made even more so, approaching an anime-like appearance due to it's broad appeal?
You're pulling a qwerty in this thread buddy. Every comment is negative, even about stuff that's actually interesting (e.g. the Cube World video).

The girl mage looks fine and will look better when she's in your face on your monitor. Way better than EQ2 or EQ1. I've got no problem with the elves or dwarves. The Ogres/Trolls - is another matter - I agree with the board you need some ugly races.

gogojira_sl

shitlord

Don't forget to mention the Trolls.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I dunno. I like refreshing spins on lore. I like a new storyteller twisting it up and changing it.

Yada yada what if they changed your favorite franchise - see midichlorians and Michael Bay.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
You're pulling a qwerty in this thread buddy. Every comment is negative, even about stuff that's actually interesting (e.g. the Cube World video).

The girl mage looks fine and will look better when she's in your face on your monitor. Way better than EQ2 or EQ1. I've got no problem with the elves or dwarves. The Ogres/Trolls - is another matter - I agree with the board you need some ugly races.
If gnome/halfling females look anime inspired, you have to take back that qwerty comparison. Deal?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
This is where the destructible environment makes it so not GW2. As for relying on each other: if you and I are duoing, one of us better have a tank spec and the other a heal spec. The main difference is there is no taunt, so tank specs are going to have make sure they have a high-damage move to redirect the mob's threat assessment AI. I gave the example of backstab, but that's a bad one as it's a weapon skill, but that's the idea. Some high-endurance, high-damage offensive ability for "snap agro" combined with some stun/cc abilities and you've got your EQN tank.

Hopefully this will finally convince people that this is Butler's game (with a little input from McPherson) and the only way to change anything in it is to change his mind about something.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Combat is part of it but for me it's even just on a utility level as mentioned. Like SoW, other buffs, ports, tracking, etc..
The only way I see that working is if the good stuff (SoW, Crack, ports, tracking) are really hard to get so people seek out higher level people for help. Which could create a sense of community on a broader scale.

I remember on the Erollisi Marr server there was an Enchanter that was always in the commons buffing people while she sold stuff. Super friendly everyone knew her. High elf enchanter her name is on the top of my tongue and I remember what she looked like. I think she actually passed away recently.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
The only way I see that working is if the good stuff (SoW, Crack, ports, tracking) are really hard to get so people seek out higher level people for help. Which could create a sense of community on a broader scale.

I remember on the Erollisi Marr server there was an Enchanter that was always in the commons buffing people while she sold stuff. Super friendly everyone knew her. High elf enchanter her name is on the top of my tongue and I remember what she looked like. I think she actually passed away recently.
I think buffs have to blow up if you switch classes. Too cheezy to have everyone switch to druid spec, sow themselves, then switch out to normal spec.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I dunno. I like refreshing spins on lore. I like a new storyteller twisting it up and changing it.

Yada yada what if they changed your favorite franchise - see midichlorians and Michael Bay.
Heh. I realized today that the lore was designed specifically so we'd help them build the continent ;-) Players: 0 Jeff Butler: 1.

So apparently EQN is using the VoxelFarm engine to create their worlds:http://voxelfarm.com/vfweb/index.html

That website shows 5 games have licensed the tech so far, EQN being the largest to license it atm. After this debut I imagine many more games will be licensing it too. Basically means that not much money has been invested into creating this tech, even though the roundtable discussion basically makes it sound like THEY created it all. Everything they discussed in the world building segment is what this guy has created, though the creator of VoxelFarm has admitted that SOE has taken the tech to a much farther level.

Here's his blog:
http://procworld.blogspot.com/2013/0...uest-next.html
Yup.

I'm not saying they won't make a good game.

But CONCRETELY, right now EQNext is a bunch of middle-ware thrown together into a tech demo.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
This is where the destructible environment makes it so not GW2. As for relying on each other: if you and I are duoing, one of us better have a tank spec and the other a heal spec. The main difference is there is no taunt, so tank specs are going to have make sure they have a high-damage move to redirect the mob's threat assessment AI. I gave the example of backstab, but that's a bad one as it's a weapon skill, but that's the idea. Some high-endurance, high-damage offensive ability for "snap agro" combined with some stun/cc abilities and you've got your EQN tank.
I think it needs to happen more like this.

Just have a system where like they said, mobs act the way they would actually act. Every action has a value and the boss responds to those values on the fly.

Big giant armored boss is being fought. He doesn't care to much about melee damage done to him because of his armor. Melee dps is valued at 1. Magic damage is more dangerous as it get through armor so its value is 3. So melee needs to be doing triple the damage of the magic to gain aggro.

Also defense ability's have a value of 1 and utility has a value of 1.

So you can either use a ton of defense ability's off tanks, but the damage they were taking would require more healing which would cause a tip towards healer aggro.

In a system like this you could run fights in many different ways.

Also if said big armored monster loses 50% of its health its armor falls off and the melee are suddenly able to hit vulnerable spots and so the melee value goes up to 5.

Etc etc

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Tad I know they mentioned being aware of class interdependence and doing things to make sure exist. I just don't know how they can pull it off with that system. That's a big thing for me. As we saw EQ class interdependence a big part of building a community and caving out a name for yourself.
The trinity will evolve naturally if the AI is any good (as Ukerric posted way, way back). My issue is the smaller things like the enchanter Grumpus mentions. We'll see, as I've said from the reveal, I'm going to invest a few months in EQN at release - there's a lot of moving parts and like original EQ the sum maybe greater than the whole.