EQ Never

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Have they discussed quests at all yet? I know they want to have big public quests, but are quest hubs in the game?

I honestly wouldn't mind doing super long quest chains for some amazing item or a statpoint or class at the end of the chain. It also gives that sense of progression in a way if you're into that.
There's a lot of quests, dungeons and raids in game or planned. But no quest hubs. You have to talk to people and do things to get quests.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
[Barbarians are human, one race, diff culture] ... Please say it isn't so.
If that does end up being the case I can't really get too upset about it. Barbarians are still humans in EQ1 no matter which way you cut it. Depends how they write the lore around the separations and growth of each culture. If they can make dark elves having different color skin and horns make sense from being the same race as other elves, they should also be able to explain taller and stronger humans that like the snow.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
What defines "Everquest"?

To me EQ is a massively multiplayer online role playing game that is set on the planet of Norrath. It features races such as Humans, Elves, Gnomes, Trolls, Ogres and Iksar. There is a history in which the Ring of Scale, Shissar, Combine Empire, Venril Sathir, etc. play major roles and where Gods and different Planes are a major influence.

Nothing in my worldview discredits a game with destructible environments, multiclassing, or Rally Calls from being "Everquest". Indeed when I played EQ I was very keen on the ways in which the world was effected by long term change. There were hints with things like Paineel emerging and the Hole being discovered or the opening up of Kunark and Velious...but these were all just expansions and the rest of the world stayed depressingly static and made it seem less real. To that extent I would think the promise of Real Change and constant evolution would make a game MORE like Everquest than not.

Now of course a great many things depend on the actual implementation of their ideas, but even I can see many ways in which the skeleton they have outlined can become a VERY revolutionary title and reinvigorate the whole MMORPG genre. Certainly what they have sketched sounds more like a place to go and want to be rather than a game I boot up just so I can sit in town waiting for the evening's raid.
My outlook is very much the same, but there is one difference I find important - factions and that your choice of who you wanted to be, race/class/religion, determined your initial place in the world, that you could shape however you wanted once you started adventuring. Storybricks is hopefully doing it's part of shaping your character on his journey through the world, so that part is covered. But I miss the part where your initial choices already set you apart from others. An ogre warrior and a barbarian warrior had entirely different safe havens and hostile areas and that affected their gameplay throughout classic EQ. It seems in EQN everyone starts out in the same town under the same conditions, I find that pretty lame. Hopefully they iterate on that idea somewhat during alpha.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont think people should waste their time trying to change things in this game like fat ogres and stuff. Because there would just be too much to change to make it anything like EQ.... Best to just let this game be what it is imo, and spend their efforts trying to convince some company to make a real EQ type game some time.

If a good team could take to kickstarter, they could make $20 million or more.
Pretty much as that game isn't lucrative enough for a big company to make.. I was half joking but give Brad a design team and acess to the EQN world and art assets and let them come up with EQ3 in addition to EQN. I know we theorycraft with no regard to cost but why not? They would cast a wider net.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
Twitter zerg against Rosie and Butler for fat Ogres/Trolls is pretty substantial atm
And it's because precisely of what I said, what I said on FOH, here, and elsewhere.

Answer me this Butler and Rosie, if you designed ogres and trolls as you wanted this time around, why did you design them differently last time? Why in the first incarnation of EverQuest, were they fat and grotesque? Why this time are they so different? Did you change your mind?

Or did marketing tell you / did you design for the widest appeal possible?

That was a rhetorical question and a point again, and again and again, why this industry is such complete garbage.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
Not to keep harping on the trinity and the like but I rewatched the Class Panel video again and Ponytail said that they're removing the dependence on traditional roles cause it sucks to be in a group and Terry the Tank doesn't show up. Wouldn't the whole "be any class" system help mitigate that? Maybe I still don't get it.

Also I really hope some of what Lithose and Erronious(sp) have said about their hopes for crafted vs dropped gear. I'd like to see player crafted jazz as the norm and dungeon gear be those special items you hang onto for a long time.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Answer me this Butler and Rosie, if you designed ogres and trolls as you wanted this time around, why did you design them differently last time? Why in the first incarnation of EverQuest, were they fat and grotesque? Why this time are they so different? Did you change your mind?
This time? They've bee different since Shadows of Luclin, dude.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
Think it would be funny if they put in illusion dropped items and spell that gave you the illusion of an EQ1 toon. Maybe a highrez version.

Any word on Tinkering yet?

xzi

Mouthbreather
There's a lot of quests, dungeons and raids in game or planned. But no quest hubs. You have to talk to people and do things to get quests.
That sounds perfect to me. Quest hubs are boring and outdated but random quests throughout the world is totally what I've been looking for. Actually playing the game and exploring instead of going to the next town. finally.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
And it's because precisely of what I said, what I said on FOH, here, and elsewhere.

Or did marketing tell you / did you design for the widest appeal possible?

That was a rhetorical question and a point again, and again and again, why this industry is such complete garbage.
I'd even say marketing is dead wrong on this.

What focus group told them , "fuck even though we have X number of other races to choose from , we want Ogres to be dead sexy."

This just seems completely and utterly clueless on their part to suggest "many EQN players" want this.

I don't think this is just "us old EQ farts" , I honestly think the vast majority of players would say make Ogres big and ugly and fat or say , I just don't care as I don't plan on playing one anyway.

This "many players" shit she put in her first tweet about it is pure bullshit. It's her or as said here some marketing twit who knows nothing.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not to keep harping on the trinity and the like but I rewatched the Class Panel video again and Ponytail said that they're removing the dependence on traditional roles cause it sucks to be in a group and Terry the Tank doesn't show up. Wouldn't the whole "be any class" system help mitigate that? Maybe I still don't get it.
They want you to playYour Way?.

If their system works out, I really don't get what there is to complain about. I'd rather play with 4 skilled friends who all play what they want, then have to force 2 of them be the healer or tank if they don't want to - or even worse, have to PUG a terrible Tank or Healer just because it's required.

And for those who do want to heal and defend, that will still be possible - the weight of responsibility just won't be as lopsided.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
I've yet to see them say you can still play a full healer and be the most effective healer playing this style. Everything I've seen says it's going to be one of those systems of "you gotta dps to heal" things. That's not the same.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am , and have missed it , but the pure healer hate was strong with them at the panels

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole

What focus group told them , "fuck even though we have X number of other races to choose from , we want Ogres to be dead sexy."

This just seems completely and utterly clueless on their part to suggest "many EQN players" want this.
What fucking Ogres are you guys looking at that are 'dead sexy'? Surely not these, right?

I'd agree that they're not as grotesque as the original EQ models, but it's not like they're Fabio.

rrr_img_39553.jpg

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is a stat controlled industry at this point. It's something we need to get used until someone breaks that mold and has success with it..:-(

Even just going back and forth with Rodolfo(hi) he made that point in regards to EQ3 being made. The statistics just don't support that it will have a lot of players.. It's not my money going into the game.. So I can't be mad at him for pointing that out. They make business descions with this stuff. I guess part of me is hoping someone throws caution to the wind at some point.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Not to keep harping on the trinity and the like but I rewatched the Class Panel video again and Ponytail said that they're removing the dependence on traditional roles cause it sucks to be in a group and Terry the Tank doesn't show up. Wouldn't the whole "be any class" system help mitigate that? Maybe I still don't get it..
That's the whole point that I wish SOE would clarify. Trinity exists, but because of multiclassing ultimately everyone should be able to take on multiple roles. So you're not tied down if your regular tank doesn't show up.

@Lyrical most sandboxy/eq1 part of the game. You need to talk to people to find things to do.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
I can't wait for Jeff Butler to proclaim, Having characters starting in different cities having to travel for hours to meet up with their friends is DENIAL OF SERVICE!!!

Dumar_sl

shitlord

I don't think this is just "us old EQ farts" , I honestly think the vast majority of players would say make Ogres big and ugly and fat or say , I just don't care as I don't plan on playing one anyway.

This "many players" shit she put in her first tweet about it is pure bullshit. It's her or as said here some marketing twit who knows nothing.
Absolutely, but this is almost guaranteed what happened. She said it herself in her tweet with 'many EQN players'.

The utter finanicialization of this industry means every part of the product is wholly dictated by this, and it's why we get garbage again and again.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've yet to see them say you can still play a full healer and be the most effective healer playing this style. Everything I've seen says it's going to be one of those systems of "you gotta dps to heal" things. That's not the same.

Maybe I'm wrong and I hope I am , and have missed it , but the pure healer hate was strong with them at the panels
I don't think there's going to be a pure anything, to be honest. I don't necessarily see anything wrong it that, either. Everyone should be contributing in more than one way.

I'd be surprised if Clerics had any Offensive Class abilities though. Probably stacked with Defensive and Utility.

xzi

Mouthbreather
That's concept art though, there's no reason that they can't have some more girth by the time the game launches. They're not as fucking fat and obnoxious as I would love them to be, but they're not bad either.