EQ Never

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Everquest came out in the infancy of the internet as a real consumer entity. There were a couple of news sites with forums (like Noows...) but it was no where near the sort of environment that you have now where dedicated fansites datamine every single detail about a new patch as soon as it hits the test server. At best there was Lucy which at least gave you hints of spells and spell-like abilities.

We collectively had no idea what to expect when we first encountered the Plane of Fear. We walked in expecting it to be like walking into the courtyard of Cazic-Thule and instead we got our collective asses handed to us by mobs that seemed to literally come out of the walls. It was chaotic, it was poorly rendered, it was stressful and it was all communicated via chat-window text.

In many ways the players created Everquest as much as the original developers did. The way in which the players adjusted to the content in order to beat it formed the basis of MMORPG strategy for years which was in turn used to create new content in a perpetual feedback loop. One or two changes in the content of those early days (no mez, or feign death, or complete heal, or if the original Fiery Avenger quest had worked) would have resulted in the game evolving in a very different way.

The echoes of those original design elements are with us still today. Mobs in modern MMOs are myopic and forgetful in order to prevent massive trains, both 'pulling' and 'mezzing' are castrated game concepts to the point of no longer even being relevant in current games.

Everyone went into EQ thinking they knew what a MMO game would be based on their experience with Neverwinter Nights, or Ultima Online, or Diku Muds of various flavors and we were all wrong. I suspect that if the end product of EQNext is anything like what was presented last week then we will all be surprised at how the paradigm shifts.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Did you never play a caster in EQ? I remember having like 50 pages of different spells.
# of spells in a spellbook is one thing, # of spells ready on screen and useable at any given thing was another. EQ2 has spellbooks and you'll have pages and pages of CAs/Spells similar to EQ1, the difference being that with their combat system people either end up with ton of hotbars (the ability/spell combat bloat people tend to refer to) or people jam tons of that bullshit into macros and justPRASS 1-2 BUTTANSall day long instead ofPRASS 60+ BUTTANSall day long. I mean, I don't care how many spells you had in your spellbook, casters weren't running around in EQ1 with potentially 100+ spells or abilities on their screen at once and combat wasn't reduced to furiously smashing fucktons of buttons nonstop (unless you gave in to futility and macroed everything which could have its own downsides).

I don't really have the time to dig up some of the worst offenders but this pic only scrapes the surface; I've seen pics of people with 8-10 hotbars up with 12 tiles per hotbar.

EQ2_000236.jpg

Not "needless", it's operant conditioning. There are "sweet spots" where irregularity can increase euphoria of rewards.
Yah, I've made the case for different kinds of reinforcement before, and I think I made the case for more negative reinforcement earlier in this thread actually. That said, I think that the topic illustrates that you really have to be careful with this kind of stuff as what might work with Tad10 let's say, might also make me say"You know what, fuck this shit I'ma go play WoW". Not everyone is going to react the same way to a 4 hour CR or having to camp for days and days for your Monk pipe, nor will people still react the same way after 5, 10 or 100 4-hour CRs (arbitrary numbers of course). I also realize that I've also answered a question that I've asked many times in the past:"why don't MMOs utilize negative reinforcement more in their games?"and I imagine the answer might be the debate between what ispunishmentas opposed to what isnegative reinforcementand how easily it can backfire with people as opposed to positive reinforcement (people are less likely to leave your game in droves if you shower them with purples than if you overuse negative reinforcement).

As an example, when I started EQ1 I wandered out by Field of Bone, and I ended up dying at the very bottom of a low level spider-infested dungeon (don't remember what it was) when I fell through a trapdoor and couldn't find my way out. Now this was pretty low-level and I could have reacted any number of ways. It was a real PITA to get someone to come out there to help me out, but my reaction after a lot of cursing and getting angry was to be far more careful. Great, that's a success story. But then you have all the people I knew RL who would try EQ1 and die somewhere they shouldn't have been, lose what they spent a few days to a few weeks acquiring, and decide to quit on the spot. Point being, WOW had a lot of success by minimizing harsh negative reinforcements and maximizing the positive reinforcements (such as frequent quest rewards and showering players with lootz).

You mention "sweet spots" but I think that's really the key here. Too little negative reinforcement and you end up with people wondering why it exists in the first place (WOW vanilla era item durability perhaps) and too much negative reinforcement and you end up with a handful of grognards sticking it out while they mock the rest of the people that couldn't hack it and left. And I really think that is the legacy left behind by EQ1: you have a small part of the overall MMO playerbase who can't seem to understand that the negative reinforcement they accepted and dealt with in EQ1 was too much for a much wider spectrum of gamers and they tend to dig in their heals and declare that the negative conditioning couldn't have possibly backfired because they themselves stayed the course. There is probably a "sweet spot" in the use of negative reinforcement but it's almost impossible to discuss with a lot of EQ1 players because they view it on their own terms without considering (or at times, mocking) the people who simply felt that it went too far in EQ1 and the negative reinforcement became punishments that those players simply didn't want to have to endure.

Anyways I better stop now because I think the fucking banner ads are trying to tell me something
mad.png

rrr_img_39620.jpg

EverQuest Next confirms cross-region play

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08...s-region-play/

EverQuest Next clears up EU misconceptions
Amid all of the revelry surrounding EverQuest Next's announcement are a few grumpy faces concerned that SOE was looking to region lock the upcoming title. President John Smedley took to Twitter to address the confusion.

"Clearing up a few misconceptions about EverQuest Next in Europe and UK," Smedley tweeted. "All players -- including ones from Prosieben -- can play on all servers. If you are from the EU or UK you will go through Prosieben, but [you] will be playing on SOE servers."

So there you have it: We will soon be one happy family with an infectious case of the voxels

supertouch_sl

shitlord
You can't be fucking serious, dude. Your argument is literally "death was aggravating, therefore it was bad design and not useful." If someone doesn't see the positive value in some of that "negative reinforcement" then he's probably not very smart. Hundreds of thousands of people played the game in the genre's infancy and many more would have played if SOE actually knew how to market their products. It's silly to suggest the game turned off countless people when no one even knew what an mmo was.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
You can't be fucking serious, dude. Your argument is literally "death was aggravating, therefore it was bad design and not useful." If someone doesn't see the positive value in some of that "negative reinforcement" then he's probably not very smart. Hundreds of thousands of people played the game in the genre's infancy and many more would have played if SOE actually knew how to market their products. It's silly to suggest the game turned off countless people when no one even knew what an mmo was.
The death penalty in EQ was not a good example of negative reinforcement, mainly because the majority of the time it was easily circumvented.

Go back to stroking tranny cock. Eq was not more difficult than any modern mmo.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Learn to read better. He did say there were positives, but if it's too harsh, too early, or too often then the negatives begin to outweigh them. Eq did not have a marketing problem. It was very successful in its day, Wow just came out and was much much better

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Learn to read better. He did say there were positives, but if it's too harsh, too early, or too often then the negatives begin to outweigh them. Eq did not have a marketing problem. It was very successful in its day, Wow just came out and was much much better
And who exactly thought it was too harsh?

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Go back to 4chan, dumbass. You're nauseating.
Supertrannystroker, EQ was good because not everything about the game was micromanaged and nerfed into oblivion, unlike MMOs today.

If you think EQ was that much greater because of the death penalty it had, well there will never be a mmo in the bear future that will punish players like that. Hell even EQ changed how death works and added NPC corpse summoners.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
EQ game play was not difficult.

EQ as a game was much harder to play because of the harsh death penalty, corpse runs and downtime.

Just because most of us were in some sort of decent guild and had pocket clerics ready to rez a corpse that everyone had that. I can vividly remember playing my cleric and having to go /anon because of the /tells from people looking to pay me plat to travel to their zone and rez their ass or their group. The game was fucking brutal if you had a bad stretch and couldn't get your 96% back.

The game itself wasn't hard to play. It was just hard when you fucked up if you didn't have a safety net of your friends / guild.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>

EQ as a game was much harder to play because of the harsh death penalty, corpse runs and downtime.

Just because most of us were in some sort of decent guild and had pocket clerics ready to rez a corpse that everyone had that. I can vividly remember playing my cleric and having to go /anon because of the /tells from people looking to pay me plat to travel to their zone and rez their ass or their group. The game was fucking brutal if you had a bad stretch and couldn't get your 96% back.

The game itself wasn't hard to play. It was just hard when you fucked up if you didn't have a safety net of your friends / guild.
So only freaks like Super touch and Qwerty really thought it was hard because they didn't have any social groups when they played.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So anyway.. Where is this release from SoE about the class/combat shit? I bet they are showing a focus group it first??

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Considering they will go with an evenly paced information release campaign for marketing purposes, and they released black box pt. 2 this week, I'd say Friday at the earliest if not next week.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

EQ was hard to bad players, but death penalty wasnt bad and i wish more games had it.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
God, I'd forgotten how many buttons there were in EQ2. It never bothered me that much, because if you've ever taken a combart art in real life, there are hundreds of moves on a lot of them. Think how many moves there might be in MMA, for instance. Thousands probably.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
God, I'd forgotten how many buttons there were in EQ2. It never bothered me that much, because if you've ever taken a combart art in real life, there are hundreds of moves on a lot of them. Think how many moves there might be in MMA, for instance. Thousands probably.
Yeah, but we aren't coming up with spells in real life...