EQ Never

Carl_sl

shitlord
Not for nothing but wow had the luxury of looking to EQ for examples and building on what EQ did. I feel like people ignore that aspect of it which is a bit unfair and short sighted.
It's ignored because it isn't really relevant. It gave them a starting point with the tier one raids and from there they expanded well beyond it. No one wants to down talk eq for its early stuff being easy to kill we just don't want to deal with the question if which has tougher mechanics.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Not for nothing but wow had the luxury of looking to EQ for examples and building on what EQ did. I feel like people ignore that aspect of it which is a bit unfair and short sighted.
Who thinks WoW 2 (aka Titan) will be EQ Next but with some additional on-the rail changes? Or maybe you can go 4 levels down, instead of 3.

Vasconcellos_sl

shitlord
I don't know when you all started playing EQ but the game was not easy in the beginning. No one had any kind of decent gear, warriors were scared shitless to travel more than 1 zone without a sow. I remember doing the Qeynos - Freeport travel for the first time around level 14, small group with druid for sow and invis. That run took 45 mins.
Remember orc hill in Gfay? You couldnt just walk over there without being jumped, especially at night. Once arrived, you needed a group to survive. And this is starting at level 3 and 4.
I played a vanilla ranger (omg) and I could start affording banded armor in my early teens, used to save up for combine longsword in order to hit those jackolanterns in west karana. Bandit camps over there were tough with only 3 people, especially with adds; not to forget Froon and Choon punting people all over the place. That zone seemed endless the first times you crossed it.
My guild used Castle Mistmoore as their main leveling grounds. With the proper knowledge, that zone was amazing. Without, you would be doing corpse runs non stop.
I remember venturing to lguk and being the only group down there discovering the zone, not much was known on the drops there and getting anywhere with a 35ish group with vanilla gear was tough.
People say that Plane of Fear was a joke, but when it was released and we found the entrance, getting the "raid" started was quite the battle, if not nearly impossible. Only by reading strategy from other guilds you could get some insight in how things happened in there and then figuring out your own strategy to get started.

The "new and unknown" EQ was definitely not easy. You'd get your ass handed to you on any possible occasion. I remember a level 49 druid in my group in Lguk who had a whopping 1200 hp, when he got aggro for a guk ghoul wizard in the lord room, that ICe Comet took him from full health to 200, getting aggro from everything else in the room and going splat instantly. Sure, when gear was becoming more common, you could 'twink' your character more, but when you were left with whatever you could find, shit was tough.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I'd say I agree with the journey being more difficult than the end bosses in EQ. WoW simply had better technology to do more with the actual encounters themselves.

In EQ there were other things that made raiding mindbogglingly difficult. Racing other guilds, keeping the insane amount of people you had under control. Hell, just getting them together was as hard as fuck.

Not to mention everyone's gear was all over the place. You had some people with good gear, some people with a mix, and the rest with just normal stuff.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Who thinks WoW 2 (aka Titan) will be EQ Next but with some additional on-the rail changes? Or maybe you can go 4 levels down, instead of 3.
It won't but Blizz is working on at least a couple of other unannounced games besides the Titan reboot so I would not be surprised if one is not World of Minecraft

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
EQ was only like that in the early days of Fear and stuff and when you did it with a pick up raid. Once guilds got organized you could do stuff like that pretty pain free. And then it changed a lot from Kunark and beyond.
You're alone on that one. Even the people standing up for Eq are in agreement that Wow raids are harder and Eq was more about getting people organized and to the actual boss fight, while the boss itself was a faceroll. I'm not even making a judgement on which one is better, just that calling wow raids easy mode is absolutely false.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
It won't but Blizz is working on at least a couple of other unannounced games besides the Titan reboot so I would not be surprised if one is not World of Minecraft
Nah. It wasn't WoM. But as you know once the Blizz exec saw EQN at E3 they immediately killed the Titan project. So the old project is gone and the new project is World of Minecraft. At least that's my guess.

I still want to know how the hell that exec saw EQN at E3 when the rest of us got nothing.

Mughal

Nah. It wasn't WoM. But as you know once the Blizz exec saw EQN at E3 they immediately killed the Titan project. So the old project is gone and the new project is World of Minecraft. At least that's my guess.

I still want to know how the hell that exec saw EQN at E3 when the rest of us got nothing.
Titan was killed before E3. Timing was just a coincidence. However what happened after that was not. Whoever leaked to you the E3 meeting could tell you more about the new team.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Speaking of rumours. EQN/Landmark beta next month. EQN beta ???? (I'm still going to guess a very closed beta by January given the current SOE time frame).

Bruman

Golden Squire
The whole "what was harder" argument has been done to death across multiple boards. It's apples and oranges.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Titan was killed before E3. Timing was just a coincidence. However what happened after that was not. Whoever leaked to you the E3 meeting could tell you more about the new team.
Ah, okay I'm going to accept your version of events and assume there are indeed at least two "MMOish" projects at Blizzard: Titan 2.0 and WoM. Thanks for the clarification.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
I said it earlier in the thread, but I would not be at all surprised that Titan got shitcanned because someone at Blizzard got given a sneak preview of EQN and realised that their game wasn't up to spec in comparison.

Of course, like you said, this probably means Titan : EQN :: WoW : EQ
biggrin.png

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I said it earlier in the thread, but I would not be at all surprised that Titan got shitcanned because someone at Blizzard got given a sneak preview of EQN and realised that their game wasn't up to spec in comparison.

Of course, like you said, this probably means Titan : EQN :: WoW : EQ
biggrin.png
We know one Blizz exec somehow saw EQN at E3, but I think Mughal has given us the correct timeline/project split and that Titan remains another IP. But Blizz is indeed now working on WoM.

Mughal

Ah, okay I'm going to accept your version of events and assume there are indeed at least two "MMOish" projects at Blizzard: Titan 2.0 and WoM. Thanks for the clarification.
Senior Blizzard management started leaving in April, long before Titan was canned. I did not say MMOish as not sure it's the case. I think they are smaller games like Hearthstone since that is shipping and Titan went up shit creek. Just to recap this is what Blizzard is working on (rumor etc etc)

- couple of small unannounced games as big as Hearthstone, one of which could be Minecraft-ish
- Titan reboot
- presumably a Diablo 3 expansion since no more patches and the RMAH has been canned
- the last Starcraft 2 expansion
- the next 2 Warcraft expansions (Storms, frogs, who knows?!)
- Blizz All Stars MOBA
- there have been discussions about "World of Warcraft 2" but so far AFAIK nobody is currently working on that

Have I missed anything? And sorry for posting on the EQN thread.

Mughal

What genre is Titan??
My understanding from second hand (at least) rumors was that Titan was originally a Planetside remake, meant to do to Planetside 2 what Warcraft did to EQ2. Remember in the investor calls Blizzard said it was going to be a new IP.

Then their message changed and they no longer said it was going to be a new IP. I assume it's because they changed the game to make it a Starcraft MMOFPS based on the demand for more Starcraft products and the relative failure of SC2 as *the* RTS.

I believe Project Blackstone was part of the launch campaign of Titan but it flopped terribly (i.e. no idea how many of you have even heard about it)