EQ Never

asocirev_sl

shitlord
Perhaps with the "trinity" now out the door they will also do away with the in combat/out of combat mechanic.
Do any other MMOs not use in/out of combat?

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Perhaps with the "trinity" now out the door they will also do away with the in combat/out of combat mechanic.
Do any other MMOs not use in/out of combat?
I'm not sure how they could possibly not have the in combat distinction if they are going to have the multi-classing and ability to switch while you are "in the field".

their slides/presentations seems to indicate that there will be no "learning" of new patterns in their ai algorithms (just dynamic modular modifiers). leading me to believe that while there might be emergent (swarm etc) like behaviors and perhaps self-refining behaviors in response to pc actions... orcs will still be orcs -- understandable (but not neccessarily altogether predictable).
which is perhaps what you want. but i'm expecting a more intelligent ai mob dynamic, focused on self/group working in cohesion ...but recognizing that it gets boring soon afterwards. (since pvp != ai)

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I like the idea of personal responsibility. That every so often a mob might reevaluate who the biggest threat to it's safety might be and just because some plate wearing sword and board keeps calling his mother a whore won't be enough to be the top of the list. I like the idea of great team work, using tactics and terrain in defeating an encounter.
Fair points. However, just because the sword and board is no longer relegated to mashing taunt every few seconds doesn't mean that he shouldn't be the guy trying his damnedest to get the mob's attention. It's one thing to say that you value the idea of using tactics and terrain to your advantage -- as do I -- but quite another to say that the traditional roles are a bad idea and should go. The traditional roles are there for a reason.

It would make very little tactical sense to throw your cloth-wearing spellcaster into melee range. It would make equally little sense to tell your warrior to stand back and throw rocks at the enemy, unless insulting its mother is no longer viable and rocks are the only way to get its attention.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I think they should do away with combat altogether. A game based entirely on diplomacy would be pretty bad ass.
Already been done.

rrr_img_39961.jpg

asocirev_sl

shitlord
I'm not sure how they could possibly not have the in combat distinction if they are going to have the multi-classing and ability to switch while you are "in the field".
Yeah if swithing is allowed in the field it would have to cost 100% energy/stamina whatever... Otherwise you'd be forced to change class in town. It's hard for me to imagine playing without an in-combat mechanic.

Hmerly

Golden Knight of the Realm
Roles are still going to be in EQN. The trinity is not completely out. Its just going to be different. The whole idea that combat will be like GW2 where everyone just pretty much solos even while grouped is not what the devs are trying to do in EQN. I think they have some solid ideas, its just the details and implementation that will eventually make or break the game.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yeah if swithing is allowed in the field it would have to cost 100% energy/stamina whatever... Otherwise you'd be forced to change class in town. It's hard for me to imagine playing without an in-combat mechanic.
They said you can't switch a class or change abilities in combat but that it would be "a snap/very easy" out of combat.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Roles are still going to be in EQN. The trinity is not completely out. Its just going to be different. The whole idea that combat will be like GW2 where everyone just pretty much solos even while grouped is not what the devs are trying to do in EQN. I think they have some solid ideas, its just the details and implementation that will eventually make or break the game.
Both Ukerric and I have tried to tell people this but no one is listening: SOE is making tanks, healers/support, dps and CC classes so people can fufill roles and they'll need to fill roles to be successful if the Combat AI is what they claim. OTOH, the Combat AI could suck and we could turn out to just be repeating SOE propaganda as opposed to the truth.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Both Ukerric and I have tried to tell people this but no one is listening: SOE is making tanks, healers/support, dps and CC classes so people can fufill roles and they'll need to fill roles to be successful if the Combat AI is what they claim. OTOH, the Combat AI could suck and we could turn out to just be repeating SOE propaganda as opposed to the truth.
I've been won over and agree. Tanks will exist, a warrior will be able to absorb more damage than a mage, and you'll shieldbash and hamstring instead of taunt, but will this archtype be necessary, moreso than a bruiser or range, or pet class? no. maybe some content will exist where having a melee distract a large target will be the preferred strategy, maybe not.

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I've been won over and agree. Tanks will exist, a warrior will be able to absorb more damage than a mage, and you'll shieldbash and hamstring instead of taunt, but will this archtype be necessary, moreso than a bruiser or range, or pet class? no.
My worry, why take the (I assume) dps hit of a traditional tank when everyone else can provide the dmg mitigation without the dps loss.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I've been won over and agree. Tanks will exist, a warrior will be able to absorb more damage than a mage, and you'll shieldbash and hamstring instead of taunt, but will this archtype be necessary, moreso than a bruiser or range, or pet class? no.
This is where we disagree. Facing tough mobs/raid situation/whatever you'll need Warrior/Paladin/SK/ToughSOB. Ranger won't be able to go toe-to-toe in the dungeon.

At the end of the day you're going to have multiple role loadouts based on whatever classes you've collected, if the Combat AI works as advertised.

Dahkoht_sl

shitlord
Big Flex ,

When do you plan on hitting them up on Twitter about ensuring some sort of more world-PVP server ? Relying on you to make sure they realize this is a must.