EQ Never

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
It makes me really miss WoW for the polish and upfront design. Nothing is hidden or behind some weird paywall.
Level 21+ is hidden behind a paywall in WoW - as are some features like ingame mail or whatever, not sure since I dont care about the F2P version. Funny enough I know people that treat WoW as actual F2P they just do BGs at the 20 and below breakpoints. Would bore me to tears but /shrug.

Lohk_sl

shitlord
Level 21+ is hidden behind a paywall in WoW - as are some features like ingame mail or whatever, not sure since I dont care about the F2P version. Funny enough I know people that treat WoW as actual F2P they just do BGs at the 20 and below breakpoints. Would bore me to tears but /shrug.
I had completely forgotten about that. I think it's because WoW is a paid, subscription based MMO that offers a "trial".

I really hope that new MMOs can combine Blizzard polish with an innovative design. If games like Vindictus didn't have such a shitty-everything-besides-combat people may actually play it.

rolx_sl

shitlord
They do but the reason why these money men even exist is because the current crop of developers think you need this massive movie sized budget to make a game. This attracted the money men and the rest is downhill.

As much as we rightfully shit over pantheon they might be the forerunners of an upcoming "indie" MMO golden age.
You do need a pretty massive budget to get a good MMO for the masses. A good team costs money, years of it before you see any return on your initial. I'm really surprised that kickstarters make as much as they do sometimes tbh.

iannis

Musty Nester
Don't we have enough of these already started up? The genre is saturated enough with mediocrity. So now we're going to have Brad, Ponytail, and Smed now going in their own directions.
Of the three the smartest money is on Smed.

He has proven that he can actually ship a game and maintain the staff that maintains servers. Brad has proven that he cannot, and ponytail has proven that he has a very high resistance to feeling like his hair is greasy.

iannis

Musty Nester
We've reached a point now where simple competence is the highest bar. It's pretty sad, but it is what it is.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Of the three the smartest money is on Smed.

He has proven that he can actually ship a game and maintain the staff that maintains servers. Brad has proven that he cannot, and ponytail has proven that he has a very high resistance to feeling like his hair is greasy.
I think they all have to go, We need to find a new group of designers and support them up. Then they can be the ones who developer drug habits and/or sell out to the suits.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
All they had to do was remake EQ1 with a few class changes.

Take spells away from rangers, make them about bouncing between melee and ranged, give them a few buttons to press for attacks, and gap closers/creaters--I would keep their small healing abilities and utilitarian shit like snare.
Beastlords- Ditch 'em, give rangers an animal pet.
Combine Warrior and Berzerker, give warriors some debuffy abilities (snare, etc), the beserkers buff shouts, and a their provoke line from the begining. (As an aside, to give them minor soloability I would give 'em the ability to proc a rune on themselves)
Paladins-Keep 'em with the current class design.
Shadowknights-Focus almost entirely on taps and aggro.
Monk- Same general design, incorporating some of the later AA abilities added for more buttons to press for the ADHD kids.
Shaman - They were obviously intended to be spell/melee hybrids. Make it happn capn
Cleric - Same basic design, maybe with a stronger offensive stance kinda thing that makes 'em able to do half-respectable DPS at a cost of major healing
Druid - Same basic design.
Mage - Same basic design, not OP pets
Necro - Fast dots and long dots from the beginning, just for more group viability; I'd personally just make this a toggle to avoid epic dot stacking, similar to the ST-AE toggle in the original incarnation of FFXIV
Wizard - Make shadowstep do something fun, otherwise keep 'em mostly the same.
Bard - Fuck 'em imho, but they're loved so keep 'em the same. Maybe tweak some numbers and shit so that they can solo
Enchanter - Obviously, make CC matter again. Make this their primary purpose. Perhaps some solo abilities like a mez bomb or something for fun. Nerf the balls out of charming.
Rogue - The goal in most of these changes is QOL or to give them some solo viability. Thusly, the rogue provided the most difficulty. IMHO the solution is to rip off the riftstalker's shadowstepping shit. Combine it with 2-3 hit invulnerability on the shadowsteps, give them some minor stuns (for level-1, and make those abilities interrupts above that) that let them get backstabs off. Maybe a force the enemy to turn ability..I would give them a smokescreen ability that is an AE debuff to accuracy. I would also give them group sneak/hide....I don't know of a good option that would make them viable duo partners on group named without making them OP on raid mobs. It'd be possible to make the "stun" abilities allow 1-2 backstabs from any angle, I suppose.

I may've missed a class.

For all classes, I'd provide a downtime reducer so that your downtime is a max of like 3 minutes--Maybe tied to a regentless bind wound? Makes you actively play. For caster I don't know what the answer would be for mana, or for endurance for melee. Maybe make ability resource be the big point in downtime? I don't know. Mana regen doesn't HAVE to be as slow as it was back in the day.

Basically, make EQ1 in a new engine, provide some fun abilities for all the classes that fit fairly well into the EQ system (I feel mine do, with some minor changes to some base mechanics that would allow the game to feel mostly the same but be more fluid), and remake the land we know and love with the same lore.

Shit, I'd of played a rogue over a monk in EQ if it were like that. Probably would've even paired well with a shaman...Making things more involved cuts down on the box armies too, cause you need crazy shit like complicated ISBoxer bullshit to pull it off.

I just want the glory days back though, so a simple reskin would hook me.

Dr Neir

Trakanon Raider
I would prefer Necros to leach the group to empower dots both for them and group members. More in the group the bigger the leach, greater the dot. Up to the Necro to use a fast/low dmg or long/high dmg, same with low hp leach/high hp leach.
With that, would like to see dead risen group function. Allow party to rise as undead till raised by healer. Player would retain full control but altered state/weakness. Each re-raising after undead death would further limit the player. Debuff timer on full healer raise, longer timer with each undead reraise continuously.

I would also like to see a raise undead aura that would rise all dead in X radius automatically, other players in or out of the group INCLUDING any dead mobs. But only the players would have full control. Any undead mobs would NOT be under the Necro control and could agro attack other LIVING players all but the Necro.
Would like to see a whole group drop dead, raise then fight thru a dungeon all as undead and picking up mobs for their cause on the way. If the Necro dies, all Aura undead would just drop and decay.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I would prefer Necros to leach the group to empower dots both for them and group members. More in the group the bigger the leach, greater the dot. Up to the Necro to use a fast/low dmg or long/high dmg, same with low hp leach/high hp leach.
With that, would like to see dead risen group function. Allow party to rise as undead till raised by healer. Player would retain full control but altered state/weakness. Each re-raising after undead death would further limit the player. Debuff timer on full healer raise, longer timer with each undead reraise continuously.

I would also like to see a raise undead aura that would rise all dead in X radius automatically, other players in or out of the group INCLUDING any dead mobs. But only the players would have full control. Any undead mobs would NOT be under the Necro control and could agro attack other LIVING players all but the Necro.
Would like to see a whole group drop dead, raise then fight thru a dungeon all as undead and picking up mobs for their cause on the way. If the Necro dies, all Aura undead would just drop and decay.
That seems like it is taking a little bit too much of a turn from the original necro, who was powerful and a well designed class already. The group taps could use a big boost, though, for support.

It does sound fun though.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Granted, I did take a huge leap away from the Ranger in my revamp. That was a bit of a bias on my point though, as my ideal class is super high mobility with bouncing in and out of melee range.

If I were to design a class it'd be a hybrid of rogue and necro. You would have devastating melee attacks augmented by spell damage. You would be a very glass glass cannon in melee range, and some of your stronger attacks would even use your health as a resource. You would have snares only as CC in melee range. You would have a number of ways to create distance. Knockbacks, Disengage that leaves a timebomb of evilness behind, Shadowsteps that move you a distance and provide a absorb shield, damaging dashes that move you through your opponent and well behind them. Then from a range you'd have a number of low damage high hp return taps. These taps would have a minimum range which is 1 unit outside of melee range, to avoid deadzoning. You would also have a number of other CCs which would share the same minimum range; These would be mostly for crowd control and would break on damage to prevent you from being a psycho stunlock king. The class would use cloth armor and dual wield daggery weapons or use 2h axes/swords in a similar vein to the AoC battlemage class. Abilities would transform from single big hits with 2h to multiple smaller hits per ability when DWing. The class would also have a number of gap closers to facilitate the in and out mindset. I feel the class is fairly well balanced because all it takes is bursting it hard in a CC or a caster saving the big hits for when it jumps back at low health. Maybe a little OP in PvE but would take quite a bit to play to the OP level, and even then ranged damage bosses, a badly timed AE, or a number of other factors would kill it fast.

The ranger I described is about the closest I would morph a class to that without making a whole new class in the EQ vein.