EQ Never

90Proof_sl

shitlord
Thanks for posting the link to the Gamasutra article ethanael, I am optimistic about seeing EQN this year. Backend and infrastructure are probably already covered. I bet the artwork, zone layouts, and animations are close too. The client-side might be where the pain is at, how do you interface with a sandbox?

1. Android/iPhone apps for account security and management? (SWTOR RSA Token)
and
2. Website account login to help manage quest journals, maps, and world news updates? (EVE Gate)
and
3. PC Client with custom scripting that runs on WinXP? Vista? 7? 8? (Traditional mmo client)
and
4. PS3 and/or PS4 console support?

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ran right over it? What else is there to say about it.
yea.. kind of how I feel. I mean, the timetable is pretty bold but who knows if they kept some stuff from the first 2 versions? Like the actual world? if so, that would make sense.

gugabuba

Golden Knight of the Realm
My take-aways would be:

1. That sounds incredibly fast, especially considering we don't know anything about the game.
2. This sounds like another big blow to the "I hope EQ Next is a true EQ1 successor" crowd.

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
yea.. kind of how I feel. I mean, the timetable is pretty bold but who knows if they kept some stuff from the first 2 versions? Like the actual world? if so, that would make sense.
I assume that most of the world and such stayed the same.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My take-aways would be:

1. That sounds incredibly fast, especially considering we don't know anything about the game.
2. This sounds like another big blow to the "I hope EQ Next is a true EQ1 successor" crowd.
I'm staying optimist b/c I think EVE/Minecraft/EQ hybrid. If it's full on PvP I have no hope lol but I'm really just wanting a solid PVE game

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I'm staying optimist b/c I think EVE/Minecraft/EQ hybrid. If it's full on PvP I have no hope lol but I'm really just wanting a solid PVE game
I'm not sure how you throw EVE into that equation without conceding that at least some elements of PvP will be present.

Again, if it's anything like a true sandbox (and Smedley sure is trumpeting that term quite a bit when it comes to EQN), it'll have to include some form of PvP. That's not the original EverQuest, but it's not necessarily a bad thing either - so long as the game itself isn't balanced around PvP.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not sure how you throw EVE into that equation without conceding that at least some elements of PvP will be present.

Again, if it's anything like a true sandbox (and Smedley sure is trumpeting that term quite a bit when it comes to EQN), it'll have to include some form of PvP. That's not the original EverQuest, but it's not necessarily a bad thing either - so long as the game itself isn't balanced around PvP.
I said full on PvP. Not to say they can't take other things from EvE they thought worked well. I understand that it might exist tho.. but if it's the main focus, I have my doubts on the game holding up.

I think SoE would be better served developing a whole new IP for a PvP Sandbox. That's just my opinion but I feel like they could use it.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Difficulty
I understand what you guys are trying to say.

But the fact of the matter is AoW was not a hard fight. It was the epitome of gear check. Warriors and Clerics were the only classes that had a job in that fight, everyone else just "did damage". And the clerics had the most trivial of jobs, click a macro'd spell that had both a timer to tell the next cleric in the rotation when to start casting and fizzle protection built in.

Of course, a lot of the same kind of shit happens with mods in today's MMOs as well. I just think most people misrepresent EQ as some shining pinnacle of MMO difficulty. The game really wasn't very hard, it was just new.

Anyway this argument was beaten to death at FoH, I just couldn't help myself from jumping into it because Dragoon sounded like an idiot the way he was phrasing his opinion.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I understand what you guys are trying to say.

But the fact of the matter is AoW was not a hard fight. It was the epitome of gear check. Warriors and Clerics were the only classes that had a job in that fight, everyone else just "did damage". And the clerics had the most trivial of jobs, click a macro'd spell that had both a timer to tell the next cleric in the rotation when to start casting and fizzle protection built in.

Of course, a lot of the same kind of shit happens with mods in today's MMOs as well. I just think most people misrepresent EQ as some shining pinnacle of MMO difficulty. The game really wasn't very hard, it was just new.

Anyway this argument was beaten to death at FoH, I just couldn't help myself from jumping into it because Dragoon sounded like an idiot the way he was phrasing his opinion.
As someone said before this is a circular argument that is going nowhere. You are arguing apples and oranges. EQ had a different type of challenge than modern mmos. Everyone recognises that. Jumping up and down crying "EQ was easy!" just means you don't get it. All mmos are easy.. they are made for children afterall... many of whom still argue about whether Hulk is stronger than Superman. Stupid argument is stupid.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
what's your point? wow wasn't hard either. the only thing that was remotely challenging was figuring out a strategy for some of the raid bosses. wow raids were also a lot more choreographed because you had only 40 people as opposed to 70.

eq was "hard" in the sense that you actually had to assess your environment

Gecko_sl

shitlord
That's actually an excellent point. I was Gladiator in the first and second seasons of the arena, and I considered myself very, very good - when I won, there was a short, minor feeling of achievement, but more than anything, I just got angry and frustrated when I was beaten (fucking warrior-pally combos in the early days, man). The excitement, the immersion of EQ was never matched by WoW, even at WoW's peak,because the sense of real danger, of actual excitement was never truly evident in WoW. Sure, we wiped to Nagafen. Let's all run back to our corpses and start the fight over again, exactly as it was the first time around - all it ever equated to was a 10g loss. Sure, we got beaten in the arena. Let's queue up 3 more times to make up the points we dropped.

Nothing was ever risked during WoW and that diminished the feeling of accomplishment - the ultimate end reward - almost entirely.
I agree completely with your point, Vonador, but, er Nagafan was in EQ.
wink.png

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Well, with the way Smedley is dropping "sandbox" and saying he loves EVE, my hopes have ticked up. If this game is essentially the modern UO, I'll be very happy.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I agree completely with your point, Vonador, but, er Nagafan was in EQ.
wink.png
Well, fuck me. Nagafen, Nefarian, Nelpharion, maybe next game they can actually think of a big bad male dragon that DOESN'T start with the letter N. Fucking hell.

Well, with the way Smedley is dropping "sandbox" and saying he loves EVE, my hopes have ticked up. If this game is essentially the modern UO, I'll be very happy.
Imagine a UO-EQ hybrid that takes place inside the familiar, wonderful world of Norrath? That's probably too much to hope for, but that would be my absolute dream MMORPG. Now I'm going to go to bed all tingly.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Well, fuck me. Nagafen, Nefarian, Nelpharion, maybe next game they can actually think of a big bad male dragon that DOESN'T start with the letter N. Fucking hell.

Imagine a UO-EQ hybrid that takes place inside the familiar, wonderful world of Norrath? That's probably too much to hope for, but that would be my absolute dream MMORPG. Now I'm going to go to bed all tingly.
maybe for you and others, but i fucking hate PvP so an EQ game based around ffa PvP is an automatic pass for me. sorry, but i don't have the time or energy to sit around and be griefed by 12 year old asians who play 20 hours a day.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd love to believe we're getting a well-executed sandbox when Smed says player-oriented content is the way of the future.

But then I remember it's Smed.

"I can spend less Dev hours on making content, and more on making stuff for the station store? Quick, PR, someone spin me a way to make that sound positive."

If EQN is a successful, profitable sandbox MMO, I'd think the Ultima Online guys would be annoyed, since EQ stole their sheep-base by killing off the sandbox, and is now in its doddering state declaring sandbox supremacy.

Laura

Lord Nagafen Raider
You'd be a fool if you're not cynical already when it comes to MMORPGs (or life in general but that's beside the point).

There's something I cannot grasp about SOE and that's how good they are in destroying their franchise/games. Remember the NGE and that press-release made by Smed trying to compete with World of Warcraft? He jumped the Quest-Driven themeparkish bandwagon and of course they failed.

What I find unacceptable is taking an IP famous for one thing and turning it into whatever is "hip" or "expected" this-time-around.

If this applied to every franchise then we'd be in one hell of a boring gaming industry. Imagine, Sid Meier jumping the RTS bandwagon and making Civilization 3 a Real Time Strategy game? That would piss off a lot of the core fans of the game-series. It would also kill the variety in the market (variety is GOOD). Did Sid Meier see the muli-million market of RTS an opportunity to make some money trying to fish for wider audience while fucking his core fans?

Same applies to The Elder Scrolls games. It's always open world, it's always First Person View and the freedom is always there.

I just don't understand why these asshats in SOE. If you want to try something similar to what the "market" indicated (which is stupid, see Rift, SWTOR, Age of Conan, ...etc) then try it with a new IP. Leave EQ alone, if you want to make a sequel then we, as fans of the IP, expect it to play the same as its predecessor (the original EQ 1 that is).

But we're talking SOE here.... their "release plenty of games and grab cash" policy is probably their only survival philosophy. Maybe they are INCAPABLE of surviving in any other form?

Look at what happened to EQ 1 post Shadows of Luclin. Look at what happened to SWG. Look at what happened to Vanguard. Look at what happened to PoxNora and the list goes on. They specialize in ruining their games to try and reach other audience or grab money from their current audience by destroying the gaming experience.

Edit: my point is, if PoxNora and Vanguard weren't purchased by SOE they would have been better games now. Also, if SOE didn't "milk" EQ by releasing expansions that destroys the very meaning of the game (PoP, GoD..etc) EQ would have been a better game. Same applies to SWG.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You'd be a fool if you're not cynical already when it comes to MMORPGs (or life in general but that's beside the point).

There's something I cannot grasp about SOE and that's how good they are in destroying their franchise/games. Remember the NGE and that press-release made by Smed trying to compete with World of Warcraft? He jumped the Quest-Driven themeparkish bandwagon and of course they failed.

What I find unacceptable is taking an IP famous for one thing and turning it into whatever is "hip" or "expected" this-time-around.

If this applied to every franchise then we'd be in one hell of a boring gaming industry. Imagine, Sid Meier jumping the RTS bandwagon and making Civilization 3 a Real Time Strategy game? That would piss off a lot of the core fans of the game-series. It would also kill the variety in the market (variety is GOOD). Did Sid Meier see the muli-million market of RTS an opportunity to make some money trying to fish for wider audience while fucking his core fans?

Same applies to The Elder Scrolls games. It's always open world, it's always First Person View and the freedom is always there.

I just don't understand why these asshats in SOE. If you want to try something similar to what the "market" indicated (which is stupid, see Rift, SWTOR, Age of Conan, ...etc) then try it with a new IP. Leave EQ alone, if you want to make a sequel then we, as fans of the IP, expect it to play the same as its predecessor (the original EQ 1 that is).

But we're talking SOE here.... their "release plenty of games and grab cash" policy is probably their only survival philosophy. Maybe they are INCAPABLE of surviving in any other form?

Look at what happened to EQ 1 post Shadows of Luclin. Look at what happened to SWG. Look at what happened to Vanguard. Look at what happened to PoxNora and the list goes on. They specialize in ruining their games to try and reach other audience or grab money from their current audience by destroying the gaming experience.

Edit: my point is, if PoxNora and Vanguard weren't purchased by SOE they would have been better games now. Also, if SOE didn't "milk" EQ by releasing expansions that destroys the very meaning of the game (PoP, GoD..etc) EQ would have been a better game. Same applies to SWG.
It's a good point and something a lot of us have been saying all along. EQ should stick to its roots. I know that's not popular with some because they don't think there is money in it, but there really is no way of knowing until it happens. That's why I always said we should talk about EQN in the context of EQ but for me, that was the logical approach. The way this project is being handled leads me to believe Smed thinks it will sell on it's IP. Which imo brings a certain expectation. I don't see how they could radically move away from those expectations in such a short period. I mean they are talking launch by the end of the year? Some games would be in beta at this point and we don't even know basic details of the game. Not even a screenshot? SO either we are about to get some serious snake oil or they are so confident the game actually will be good.