EQ Never

Vonador_sl

shitlord
Thread is going to go berserk whenever an update is released, can't wait.

I'm leaning towards definitely picking it up, even just to get to max level and not miss out on an EQ game launch.

Whether or not they hold my sub or I buy xpacs is another matter.
It'll probably be free to play from launch, but entice you to subscribe for a traditional $15/m model with perks (faster 'leveling' is probably the simplest, and that exact kind of system takes place in PS2 currently, so it's a safe bet altogether) or buy in-game shit from the Station Store wank-a-thon. As long as what's for sale doesn't infringe upon the immersion of the game, I'm happy - but I can't imagine SOE not oversteppng their bounds at some point and monumentally fucking this one up.

As for the game itself, at this point I'm not entirely sure there will evenbelevels. Everyone keeps bitching about using the EQ IP without focusing on what made EQ great, but the truth is we know little else than what Smedley has told us. Which essentially translates to, we know nothing.

The only thing I can say about that? The EQ IP ensures the game world is Norrath. And with that knowledge, I couldn't give two fucks how much different the focus is - as long as said focus is fun to play, has a genuine risk/reward element attached, and has legitimate consequences (immediate or cumulative, justconsequences) for player actions. Those were the four core elements of EQ to me (at least initially), so if the heart of the IP maintains and it does so without noticeable Station Store consequences, color me giddy.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
It's anything but confirmed that it'll be F2p with a microtrans system. Go look at how they do PS2. SOE will never go the sub route again as long as Smedley is in charge.
I wonder about that, he is obviously saying it right now. But how successful is PS2 really? I don't follow the game much, i just read bits and pieces about people saying there's a pretty noticeable drop in population. Which might be related to the game itself, but SOE was never really strong in terms of logic and common sense, so they might think "naaahh, f2p scares people off, lets go and do a 180?".

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I wonder about that, he is obviously saying it right now. But how successful is PS2 really? I don't follow the game much, i just read bits and pieces about people saying there's a pretty noticeable drop in population. Which might be related to the game itself, but SOE was never really strong in terms of logic and common sense, so they might think "naaahh, f2p scares people off, lets go and do a 180?".
[PlanetSide 2]'s already the highest microtransaction-grossing game in the history of Sony Online Entertainment, which offers a number of other free-to-play massively multiplayer online games.
Players can try the game for free and pay real money for virtual goods. During the past weekend, as many as half a million logged in.
Source:http://venturebeat.com/2012/12/12/so...ess-interview/

Also note that interview was done almost a month and a half ago. Now, things could have certainly taken a downward turn since then, but if we're to believe this information we've been given, then SOE is perfectly content with their current format.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Of course it will be, its pretty much the direction that SoE is going and PS2 was just the beginning. Also if they implement free to play like it was in Ps2, which was pretty much unobtrusive, its wont be that bad.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
People are doubting that EQ3 will be F2P from the start............?
It's probably just wishful thinking more than anything. I don't really blame them, but...yeah. Every possible indication points to F2P.

Of course it will be, its pretty much the direction that SoE is going and PS2 was just the beginning. Also if they implement free to play like it was in Ps2, which was pretty much unobtrusive, its wont be that bad.
My concern is the weapons on the PS2 marketplace. Like I said before, if I start seeing Jagged Bands and Lamentation Blades available on EQN's Station Cash system, I'm going to shit my pants and fling said shit at my computer screen in a blind rage.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
This quote merely means it's the most successfull f2p SOE game which was f2p right from the start. And half a million people logging in into a free game on a weekend when it was relativley new is nice, but most likely the biggest number they could drum up.

So SOE is either the first company among the bigger mmo publishers/developers who's contempt with smaller numbers, or it is not that great.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
F2P just siphons money at a greater pace than the monthly subs do. Especially if you are into the game. Fuck, last time when I played EQ I think I dropped a few hundred bucks, and that was for just 4 months play. And I even bought a sub too, lol. Not that this is the norm, but I would venture to say that F2P is just more profitable in the longterm.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
whenever i hear things like "give the players the tools to create the content in the game" i think of games like mortal online and darkfall, and then i want to vomit. PvP just for the sake of PvP'ing gets really old, really fast. even if there's a legit reason to PvP, like control of resources or dungeons or sieges on castles, it would still get very boring after only a few weeks. there's only so many times you can run out onto a field and just start hacking and casting at others before you're just so bored you want to pull your eyeballs out. if i want PvP, i'll play call of duty or halo and do it comfortably in short 2 or 3 hour bursts. i do not want to play a MMO when every time i log in my friends are messaging me saying "hey! so and so guild is attacking our keep for the 300th time. we need to defend it!"

maybe i'm alone, but i actually enjoy leveling. i enjoy xp grinding, hoping the rare mob with the rare loot will show up. i enjoy dungeon crawling with friends and getting totally lost and wondering if we're going to make it out or not, i like exploring new, dangerous areas, wondering what's waiting for me in the unknown darkness and yes, god dammit, i enjoy raiding. those are the things that i liked and the reason why i liked everquest so much. i don't want to play everquest next: dark fall edition, and i'm really afraid at this point that's exactly what we're going to get.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
People are doubting that EQ3 will be F2P from the start............?
You're still going to shell out 59.99, and 99.99 for collectors, and 6,999.99 for the super-duper eq1 leet edition from the start.

Yeah, then it's Free 2 Fail (f2f) or f2p whatever. Unless you pay.

This game will probably break my bank account.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
You're still going to shell out 59.99, and 99.99 for collectors, and 6,999.99 for the super-duper eq1 leet edition from the start.

Yeah, then it's Free 2 Fail (f2f) or f2p whatever. Unless you pay.

This game will probably break my bank account.
Honestly, I think there is a -very- viable and easily "exploitable" cash source that Sony could follow if they look at my concepts above in order to generate large sums of cash.

The default, basic, F2P version is -exactly- how I laid out. No quests (or extremely minimal), no linear hub breadcrumb trail, no defined raidgame aside from progressively bigger and meaner shit spawning if you continually kill big mean shit. Bundle in a gear/progression path (both of which I have covered to a small degree but I can elaborate if someone cares) and don't limit people in the slightest. BUT! Sell linear progression; sell quests. Sell more mainstream versions of content. Put -that- on the market, but don't sell basic access/viability to your game.

Example time!

F2P player kills whatever, spawns bosses, kills them for progressively more awesome crafting components/loot/notoriety/faction/all that shit. He doesn't require direction and generally receives none. Sandbox+5. The guy with the Sub? Gets access to an expanded quest UI (keep in mind, I -do- think that an interface for Epic and similar style quests should be integrated and used. But no collect 10 bear asses as default style shit) and NPCs that are flagged as being able to hand out quests with minimal rewards (no xp, purely monetary/gear type shit that is -always- eclipsed by player crafted or boss dropped) but they provide all the bells and whistles that modern questing does. Trackers, directions, instructions. You name it, it is there. If you complete a hub's worth of quests, that quest interface is available for that hub whether you are subbed or not. Let people unlock shit and keep it; add value to their dollar.

Sell zone/hub quest infoz on a smaller one time purchase basis that unlocks it for the account. Sell defined maps for a pittance. Downloading the latest mapdemon shit might be beyond the modern gamer in some ways to install it correctly, but put a "$0.99 for a detailed map of Eastern Commonlands!" button in the store and it will grab shitloads.

No pay to win; no stupid shit. Create the game, then offer ways to enjoy it for a premium. Don't create a truncated game with access for a premium. That is bad, mkay?

Iadien

Silver Knight of the Realm
When SoE began experimenting with F2P in EQ2 there were threads about what should and should not be available to F2P players. SoE thought locking races, classes, etc. was the way to go, which I thought was a terrible idea from the beginning. Most people that play a F2P game will never spend a dime, but it's important that an annoying barrier doesn't exist or most F2P players will leave, and that only hurts the game. Don't limit spell levels, experience gain, currency, gear quality, bug people about upgrading to a monthly after exiting the game, because all of those decisions discourage players and will cause people to quit very quickly. If certain limits must be placed, at the very least allow F2P players the option to unlock every single annoyance with a one time fee.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I actually really like the idea of selling maps in-game. Offer the immersion to people who don't want maps, but make them easily accessible for a nominal fee - like, say, $0.49 per map - and both sides win. So long as a GPS doesn't come with the map, that is.

I think, in order for the F2P model in EQ:N to work, SOE will have to focus their money-making to parts of the game that aren't integral for success or impede the enjoyment of the game. Those quest hubs you suggested, I think that kind of thing would have to be available at F2P because that's the only way you're going to have any hope of hooking the WoW babies. Sarah Soccermom will be an easy get with the virtual dollhouse nonsense, and Franky Footballhero will do whatever's the flavor of the month; it's Tiny Tim you need to grab before he says 'fuck this shit I ain't got no purples yet and I've already played for 45 minutes!'

Just keep the Station Cash shit out of sight, and I'll do my best to keep it out of mind.

Iadien_sl said:
When SoE began experimenting with F2P in EQ2 there were threads about what should and should not be available to F2P players. SoE thought locking races, classes, etc. was the way to go, which I thought was a terrible idea from the beginning. Most people that play a F2P game will never spend a dime, but it's important that an annoying barrier doesn't exist or most F2P players will leave, and that only hurts the game. Don't limit spell levels, experience gain, currency, gear quality, bug people about upgrading to a monthly after exiting the game, because all of those decisions discourage players and will cause people to quit very quickly. If certain limits must be placed, at the very least allow F2P players the option to unlock every single annoyance with a one time fee.
I'll gladly pay a subscription fee to unlock faster 'leveling' or whatever, and I think that's the best way to incentivize players rather than having the most powerful half of the game (and the customization) locked to anyone who doesn't want to commit. Make it slower for them, but don't make the eventual accomplishments be any less rewarding.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
I actually really like the idea of selling maps in-game. Offer the immersion to people who don't want maps, but make them easily accessible for a nominal fee - like, say, $0.49 per map - and both sides win. So long as a GPS doesn't come with the map, that is.

I think, in order for the F2P model in EQ:N to work, SOE will have to focus their money-making to parts of the game that aren't integral for success or impede the enjoyment of the game. Those quest hubs you suggested, I think that kind of thing would have to be available at F2P because that's the only way you're going to have any hope of hooking the WoW babies. Sarah Soccermom will be an easy get with the virtual dollhouse nonsense, and Franky Footballhero will do whatever's the flavor of the month; it's Tiny Tim you need to grab before he says 'fuck this shit I ain't got no purples yet and I've already played for 45 minutes!'

Just keep the Station Cash shit out of sight, and I'll do my best to keep it out of mind.

I'll gladly pay a subscription fee to unlock faster 'leveling' or whatever, and I think that's the best way to incentivize players rather than having the most powerful half of the game (and the customization) locked to anyone who doesn't want to commit. Make it slower for them, but don't make the eventual accomplishments be any less rewarding.
I think the idea of paying for faster leveling is counter-intuitive to creating an engrossing world. If you're leveling faster, you're spending less time in the leveling content. If by what you're suggesting is faster alternative leveling (like the pre-1k AA bonus in EQ1) then that's perfectly acceptable, although a tad bit imbalanced for the FTP players. I understand the desire to get people to spend money to play, but placing incentives that place the paying members ahead of the non-paying in any sort of way just creates a cliff that becomes hard to cross initially, and impossible after a certain point. Easy examples of that model are found all over any Aeria-distributed game. The map idea is pure brilliance, although what should be done is that the map you purchase is dynamic, showing current spawns and where the rare spawns can be. Imagine playing Everquest, back in 1999, and knowing that the three bloodthirsty ghouls were the placeholder for Frenzy without having to go to a website and look up the information. Imgaine, tracking via purchasing the map on a zone per zone basis, rather than relying on individual classes and players. Perfect hook to draw people in. You could even include players on the map for an additional .50c and it'll show you where the others in the zone are located so you can plan your camp accordingly. Won't work in a PVP-friendly game, but fuck PVP in any EQ game.

I completely agree that the current FTP model is trash. The only reason I pay for gold in EQ is so that I can use Prestige items and continue to grind AA's. I don't raid, but damn near anything post-80ish that's worth a damn is Prestige locked. Locking potential consumers out of your product via such a stupid gateway is retarded. At the very least, you could introduce epic questlines that only non-paying members can complete that unlock content one quest a time. Want to roll a Ranger? Be prepared to do a 30+ step questline, but at the end, you've unlocked the ability to roll a Ranger. Want more than 1k AA? Grind out that 1k, then embark on a questline to unlock the next 500, or 1000. Repeat. Completely locking content on a paying basis effectively means your FTP model is one that is built entirely on forcing a customer to pay to enjoy the entirety of the product, rather than incentivizing them to pay for it even though they can enjoy the whole thing for free. I know that if it wasn't for the AA/Prestige lock, that the entirety of my SC purchases would be for Potions of Adventure and the odd illusion here and there, until they released something that caught me, like titles and such.

Vonador_sl

shitlord
I think the idea of paying for faster leveling is counter-intuitive to creating an engrossing world. If you're leveling faster, you're spending less time in the leveling content. If by what you're suggesting is faster alternative leveling (like the pre-1k AA bonus in EQ1) then that's perfectly acceptable, although a tad bit imbalanced for the FTP players. I understand the desire to get people to spend money to play, but placing incentives that place the paying members ahead of the non-paying in any sort of way just creates a cliff that becomes hard to cross initially, and impossible after a certain point. Easy examples of that model are found all over any Aeria-distributed game. The map idea is pure brilliance, although what should be done is that the map you purchase is dynamic, showing current spawns and where the rare spawns can be. Imagine playing Everquest, back in 1999, and knowing that the three bloodthirsty ghouls were the placeholder for Frenzy without having to go to a website and look up the information. Imgaine, tracking via purchasing the map on a zone per zone basis, rather than relying on individual classes and players. Perfect hook to draw people in. You could even include players on the map for an additional .50c and it'll show you where the others in the zone are located so you can plan your camp accordingly. Won't work in a PVP-friendly game, but fuck PVP in any EQ game.

I completely agree that the current FTP model is trash. The only reason I pay for gold in EQ is so that I can use Prestige items and continue to grind AA's. I don't raid, but damn near anything post-80ish that's worth a damn is Prestige locked. Locking potential consumers out of your product via such a stupid gateway is retarded.At the very least, you could introduce epic questlines that only non-paying members can complete that unlock content one quest a time. Want to roll a Ranger? Be prepared to do a 30+ step questline, but at the end, you've unlocked the ability to roll a Ranger. Want more than 1k AA? Grind out that 1k, then embark on a questline to unlock the next 500, or 1000. Repeat. Completely locking content on a paying basis effectively means your FTP model is one that is built entirely on forcing a customer to pay to enjoy the entirety of the product, rather than incentivizing them to pay for it even though they can enjoy the whole thing for free. I know that if it wasn't for the AA/Prestige lock, that the entirety of my SC purchases would be for Potions of Adventure and the odd illusion here and there,until they released something that caught me, like titles and such.
I don't disagree with your first point; I was simply going by what we've already been introduced to via PlanetSide 2. I think 'leveling' or its replacement is something that should just inherently be part of the game experience - this idea of speeding it up seems stupid, because if I'm playing a game I really enjoy, it shouldn't make a fuck's difference whether it's going slow, or fast, or whatever. As long as the pacing is well done, I'm sure I'll enjoy it - just as I'm sure many others will, too.

I like the idea of giving people opportunities to unlock parts of the game through time spent within the game. If people are going through all that nonsense just to unlock something a paying customer has already, then shit, they deserve it. Again, things that people would conceivably pay for should, at the absolute extreme, be a convenience. Any sort of 'edge' does work counter-intuitively to enjoying the immersion part of the game - but then, I'm also fairly certain SOE views an edge to paying customers as the best way to entice people into subscribing. Using EQ1/EQ2/PS2 as previous examples, that's been their tried-and-true model. One canhopethey'd change, but one certainly should notexpectit.

As for titles, I feel like that's the epitome of something that should only be earned in-game, unless it's something trivially retarded like 'The Noble' or 'The Driven'. No one should be walking around with a name that implies they slay dragons with their bare hands because they were willing to dish out $9.99.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly, I imagine that Sony's marketing guys as well as the developers attached to them are really interested in what will make -me- drop money on a f2p game. I have high playtime and a ridiculous tolerance for bullshit as long as it has something resembling a payoff. My thoughts on EQ might anger some, but I can guarantee that I have put up with substantially more retarded mechanics nonsense than 95-99% of the hardcore MMO crowd. This guy here has definitely put in 100s of hours into shitty Korean/asian mmo games with slot machine upgrades and grindfests galore. When a F2P game comes out with the -hard- way as the default with all the easy shit purchasable? I'm still gonna do things the hard way.

How do you go about attracting the dollar of someone similar to this? (I don't represent the hardcore MMO crowd, but I am definitely a member.) My first thought is options. It isn't "how do you unlock this?" or "what do I have to pay to gain xp faster?" It is primarily "Ok, everyone has access to this particular skin. I want to look different. What does -that- cost?" Or in a similar vein: "Can I earn shit that has a different look/feel than people that don't pay for the game?"

Create that carrot (yeah it is fucking cosmetic. I hate P2W.) and people like me will most likely drop dollars on it. But don't make it retarded. Brolaf and Spaceman Faggot Invis Guy from LOL are not the model you want to engage. If I play a Shadowknight, I'm expecting some elusive platemail evil looking shit. Put in graphics that make me want to spend money if that is how I spend it. And make sure that the armor/weapon graphics you can buy are NOT cooler/more interesting than shit you can earn in game. Give me options but don't give me superiority.

All that said, I will still pay a Sub fee and happily for a game that engrosses me entirely. The game hasn't been invented to this date, however, that has done thus. Fix that, eh?

Vonador_sl

shitlord
what rezz will buy
I like it. I mentioned in a previous post - keep that shit entirely cosmetic/convenience-based (like the maps, or downtime pots if SOE really feels like dicking around with the fine line, etc.), and I'm down all the way. You also described the exact way in which the cosmetic approach should be taken with in-game items - make that shit look good, but don't make it look close to as good as what can be earned in-game. Basically, keep the 'HOLY FUCK THAT WEAPON LOOKS AWESOME' horizontal progression carrot alive with the motivation of looking moderately stylish in the interim.

Make the ability to add custom faces at start-up for $0.99 per creation past the original eight pre-made faces. Give the ability to buy tattoos and accessories and shit as well. Make a lot of the initial Station Cash sink be customization, make the mid-tier sinks be maps of varying detail and the like, and make high-tier sinks be for shit like Sarah Soccermom's curtains in her virtual dollhouse.

There's a way to do this right. This is what the current MMO landscape has brought me to; I continue to hold out hope (convince myself?) that *this* is that time when it's finally done right. Fuck me.

Anwyn_sl

shitlord
I don't disagree with your first point; I was simply going by what we've already been introduced to via PlanetSide 2. I think 'leveling' or its replacement is something that should just inherently be part of the game experience - this idea of speeding it up seems stupid, because if I'm playing a game I really enjoy, it shouldn't make a fuck's difference whether it's going slow, or fast, or whatever. As long as the pacing is well done, I'm sure I'll enjoy it - just as I'm sure many others will, too.

I like the idea of giving people opportunities to unlock parts of the game through time spent within the game. If people are going through all that nonsense just to unlock something a paying customer has already, then shit, they deserve it. Again, things that people would conceivably pay for should, at the absolute extreme, be a convenience. Any sort of 'edge' does work counter-intuitively to enjoying the immersion part of the game - but then, I'm also fairly certain SOE views an edge to paying customers as the best way to entice people into subscribing. Using EQ1/EQ2/PS2 as previous examples, that's been their tried-and-true model. One canhopethey'd change, but one certainly should notexpectit.

As for titles, I feel like that's the epitome of something that should only be earned in-game, unless it's something trivially retarded like 'The Noble' or 'The Driven'. No one should be walking around with a name that implies they slay dragons with their bare hands because they were willing to dish out $9.99.
Couldn't agree more about titles. The silly ones they have in the SC store for EQ1 currently are along the vein of what I was suggesting. The earned titles should certainly trump the purchased ones, but there should be unique purchased ones that stand out to be a carrot for consumers. 'Vonador the Dragon Slayer' should be achieved through playing the game, but 'Vonador the Dragon Lover' would work as an alternative, no? You could even allow cash purchases to increase the rate at which you gain a title rather than out-right giving it to you. Slay 3000 dragons for Dragon Slayer? Pay $2 and only kill 1000 and boom, title. Does that take away from the uniqueness of the title? Slightly, but in reality, the guy who killed 3000 gained more from the title acquisition than the one who speed it up, be it experience or treasure. Time investments matter for actual progression, they mean very little to cosmetics.

Rezz_sl said:
Honestly, I imagine that Sony's marketing guys as well as the developers attached to them are really interested in what will make -me- drop money on a f2p game. I have high playtime and a ridiculous tolerance for bullshit as long as it has something resembling a payoff. My thoughts on EQ might anger some, but I can guarantee that I have put up with substantially more retarded mechanics nonsense than 95-99% of the hardcore MMO crowd. This guy here has definitely put in 100s of hours into shitty Korean/asian mmo games with slot machine upgrades and grindfests galore. When a F2P game comes out with the -hard- way as the default with all the easy shit purchasable? I'm still gonna do things the hard way.

How do you go about attracting the dollar of someone similar to this? (I don't represent the hardcore MMO crowd, but I am definitely a member.) My first thought is options. It isn't "how do you unlock this?" or "what do I have to pay to gain xp faster?" It is primarily "Ok, everyone has access to this particular skin. I want to look different. What does -that- cost?" Or in a similar vein: "Can I earn shit that has a different look/feel than people that don't pay for the game?"

Create that carrot (yeah it is fucking cosmetic. I hate P2W.) and people like me will most likely drop dollars on it. But don't make it retarded. Brolaf and Spaceman Faggot Invis Guy from LOL are not the model you want to engage. If I play a Shadowknight, I'm expecting some elusive platemail evil looking shit. Put in graphics that make me want to spend money if that is how I spend it. And make sure that the armor/weapon graphics you can buy are NOT cooler/more interesting than shit you can earn in game. Give me options but don't give me superiority.
Brolaf (and the other skins like it) aren't a bad thing for cosmetics. The Brolaf thing is pretty silly, but then you look at Demonblade Tryndamere and know that it IS a vast change both visually and in sound effects. The idea of paying for spiffy armor graphics takes away from earning them in-game. I know you aren't suggesting equal or better looking equipment, but directly allowing different armor and such as a cash purchase does take away from the uniqueness of each 'level' or 'tier' of armor released. The majority of dev time, to my understanding, is in the graphical department in most titles now; so adding in superficial textures is a rather risky endeavor. Having previous 'tier' graphics being purchasable for current gear would be a good thing, considering you're not increasing the dev load and are adding variety to the game. Adding a 'Prestige' tag and allowing only paying customers to re-affix the skin to another item based on that tag could work, I think, along the vein you're suggesting.

Spell effects are another. You could buy different spell effects, which aren't nearly as dev intensive, or add different glows to your shoulders, helm, weapon, what-have-you. I like that idea.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Couldn't agree more about titles. The silly ones they have in the SC store for EQ1 currently are along the vein of what I was suggesting. The earned titles should certainly trump the purchased ones, but there should be unique purchased ones that stand out to be a carrot for consumers. 'Vonador the Dragon Slayer' should be achieved through playing the game, but 'Vonador the Dragon Lover' would work as an alternative, no? You could even allow cash purchases to increase the rate at which you gain a title rather than out-right giving it to you. Slay 3000 dragons for Dragon Slayer? Pay $2 and only kill 1000 and boom, title. Does that take away from the uniqueness of the title? Slightly, but in reality, the guy who killed 3000 gained more from the title acquisition than the one who speed it up, be it experience or treasure. Time investments matter for actual progression, they mean very little to cosmetics.

Brolaf (and the other skins like it) aren't a bad thing for cosmetics. The Brolaf thing is pretty silly, but then you look at Demonblade Tryndamere and know that it IS a vast change both visually and in sound effects. The idea of paying for spiffy armor graphics takes away from earning them in-game. I know you aren't suggesting equal or better looking equipment, but directly allowing different armor and such as a cash purchase does take away from the uniqueness of each 'level' or 'tier' of armor released. The majority of dev time, to my understanding, is in the graphical department in most titles now; so adding in superficial textures is a rather risky endeavor. Having previous 'tier' graphics being purchasable for current gear would be a good thing, considering you're not increasing the dev load and are adding variety to the game. Adding a 'Prestige' tag and allowing only paying customers to re-affix the skin to another item based on that tag could work, I think, along the vein you're suggesting.

Spell effects are another. You could buy different spell effects, which aren't nearly as dev intensive, or add different glows to your shoulders, helm, weapon, what-have-you. I like that idea.
I agree almost 100%. Purchasable bonuses should be cosmetic, not gameplay power oriented. To step that up, I am 100% for content that doesn't detract from the game being added via one time purchase nonsense. BUT. Holy fuck, don't ever put class specific/content specific spells/abilities/items into purchasable territory. Don't make shamans purchase the "Lol Retard-Focus" expac in order to cast a class-defining ability. Do Not Do That. It is insulting and will alienate players. Instead, add in different graphics for spell casting. Instead of a rainbow of silliness, add in super defined hearts and shit for a buff spell. Female players who are interested in clerics would purchase that effect. Super homo man players of clerics might do the same. Ironically, other people would purchase that shit. Do. Not. Fuck. With. Gameplay. Mechanics. with DLC or other purchasable content. Make it cosmetic and customizable and you'll get a ton of sales.