EQ Never

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just got this email

Hello world,

We just wanted to share another update this month. (Nothing for a while and then two updates in a month, this feels like Lithe and Whacking Day rolled into one!) But we really did not want to wait another week for this exciting news.

After several months of working together with Sony Online, we can finally reveal that we are collaborating on EverQuest Next. EQN is "the biggest sandbox ever designed" and we are extremely happy to be working on the most innovative MMORPG under development.

This is just a tiny announcement as we can't give any specifics about what we are doing on EQN yet. But we want to thank all our supporters for your patience and let you know that we are doing remarkable things.

On a related note, we are still hiring software engineers in San Diego, CA. Come and help us build something truly amazing. Apply here or respond to this newsletter for more information.

We look forward to entertaining you.

- The Storybricks Team

http://www.storybricks.com/

This news has me really interested now. Especially if anyone remembers what Storybricks was trying to do.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just saw that. There was an FoH Storybricks poster, what was his name? Did he ever make it over here? SPILL THE GOODS.
Dunno if he made it over here but Rodolfo is the name on the email. Something tells me he did though
smile.png

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This thread will be so entertaining when they release the info that it will be F2P. Can't wait!

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Is that even up for debate? I figured anyone looking forward to it would have accepted that already. It's going to be a F2P game with sub options, you can basically lock that one in.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
This thread will be so entertaining when they release the info that it will be F2P. Can't wait!
I am sure the model will be similar to Planetside 2. A monthly sub for no queues and a xp booster. While the cash shop will be there for cosmetic items, boosters and maybe even a shortcut to obtain certain abilities.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Yep. If Smed hasn't flat-out said that the game is f2p (I'm blanking on whether or not he has), he has, at minimum, very strongly intimated that that will be the case.

On to the Storybricks thing, a quick look at their site shows they're trying to make an improved ai; does anyone happen to have some bullet points on what exactly they're trying to improve? Is it things like combat tactics, or what?

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Yep. If Smed hasn't flat-out said that the game is f2p (I'm blanking on whether or not he has), he has, at minimum, very strongly intimated that that will be the case.

On to the Storybricks thing, a quick look at their site shows they're trying to make an improved ai; does anyone happen to have some bullet points on what exactly they're trying to improve? Is it things like combat tactics, or what?
Check out theirKickstarterpage (that ultimately did not fund).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I thought it had been said long ago that EQN is F2P. Thought he said it during one of his keynote speeches on SoELive.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Well, iirc he said something to the extent of "I think SWTOR will be the last MMO to be released with a monthly subscription." The insinuation of course is that EQN will not have a monthly fee, but he did not explicitly say that it would not... for what that's worth. Pretty much all SOE games now have a hybrid system, no? Youcanplay for free, but the F2P is very restrictive (to the point of making the monthly fee the most practical option for anyone who actually wants to see/experience the end game). I don't know what PS2's F2P model looks like, but one could probably safely assume that EQN's model will be very similar.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I could see it a copy of EQ2's. Basic "Silver" sub with certain limitations then a pay sub that grants you the full access to their ultimate shafting.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
I haven't heard much in the way of ps2's f2p model being terribly restrictive; and while eq 1 and 2's, and vanguard's, were, iirc they've taken steps in all those games to loosen the restrictions they place on free players.

So EQN's f2p likely won't be nearly as onerous as one might expect by looking at the f2p models the EQ games first started with.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Smed *loves* the PS2 model so I would look closer at that and less at EQ1/2. EQ1/2 models are tacked onto a sub game and all about keeping the people that are subbed on that subscription, imo. PS2 is build from the ground up for their F2P with optional subscription model, and they'll do the same with EQN.

So expect priority log-in, xp boost and in-game shop advantages to be meat of a subscription, and the rest of the revenue gathered through cosmetics and shortcuts to in-game assets. Not sure if they will do an item treadmill game again and if so, if the shop will have items. I kinda doubt it because while in PS2 you buy guns for certs or dollars, the guns equal to spells moreso then actual items in the usual mmorpg sense.

pond_scumm_sl

shitlord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...IZ6ETtY#t=285s

It will be free to play, but they are focused on making it as fluid and unobtrusive as possible.

I think this Storybricks news is really encouraging. We've gotten a lot of talk about how EQN will be the 'largest, greatest, sandbox game ever created blah blah woof woof', but this is the first concrete example of what they are planning. It's a good indication of how they're trying to advance the genre and I think I'm shifting from 'skeptical' to 'cautiously optimistic'.

Has anyone played with it before? Any opinions? The kickstarter video looked interesting but very rough. The logistics of how this will work in a large-scale MMO seem a bit daunting.

Edit: Oh, Iadien beat me to it