EQ Never

Erechtheus_sl

shitlord
What evidence does anyone have to suggest EQ Next will even be any good?
None, this is all speculation and hype. No one here has actually played it yet.

Let alone released?
I'm no clairvoyant, but I would assume SOE has the motivation and the funds to release EQN regardless if we think it's any good or not.

I'm genuinely curious. Is there some kind of amazingly talented team behind it or just the same old recycled devs that have worked on previous fail MMO's?
It's a mix of new and old. Team is fairly large.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Why do people feel the need to quote individual sentence to respond too? Just write a response, we can figure out what you're talking about.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Personal List of things that shouldNOTbe in EQN:

-Exclamation points/Anoying UI elements above NPCs
-In game maps
-Instances
-Gear restrictions (within reason)
-Centralized Auction Houses
-Spell Buff Restrictions (within reason)
-Race/Class requirements
-Non-Unique Spell names (i.e. Fireball rank 1-623)

This is the short list of items.

Feel free to debate me, you will lose.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Personal List of things that shouldNOTbe in EQN:

-Exclamation points/Anoying UI elements above NPCs
-In game maps
-Instances
-Gear restrictions (within reason)
-Centralized Auction Houses
-Spell Buff Restrictions (within reason)
-Race/Class requirements
-Non-Unique Spell names (i.e. Fireball rank 1-623)

This is the short list of items.

Feel free to debate me, you will lose.
In game maps aren't the issue, I would bet you have issue with in game GPS.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
I think a coordinate system would be fine.

Why take away from the immersion by handing someone a map of the entire universe? Make the players discover and memorize.

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have no problem with a loc system and cartography system that goes hand in hand with it like that rpg eschalon. Mini maps with everything marked on them kills immersion for me almost immediately and is the first thing I turn off if its possible, and would prefer they not be in game at all.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I would like to see maping like minecraft.
Starts completely blank and only shows where you have been.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I think a coordinate system would be fine.

Why take away from the immersion by handing someone a map of the entire universe? Make the players discover and memorize.
I'll tell you what kills immersion. Being in a completely established part of the world that apparently has a population so dumb that no one thought to draw a fucking map over the centuries.
rolleyes.png

I like the idea of limited maps, but no maps whatsoever is just silly. Unless we just crash landed on a new planet then it doesn't make any sense for a pretty developed world to not have been mapped out. I think this is where limited maps can add immersion for those that want it, but act like a guide to those who don't really care. Cities should be completely mapped and available to players. Same with areas surrounding the cities. As you get farther from the cities the maps get more vague, and in the most remote places of the world maybe have no maps, or VERY limited maps such as in dungeons, or extremely dangerous continents. Places like Kunark and Velious being good examples. Antonica should not be some great mystery.

All of that is probably moot though because the game will be fully mapped out in 100% detail and available on the internet before beta is even over heh.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
I'll tell you what kills immersion. Being in a completely established part of the world that apparently has a population so dumb that no one thought to draw a fucking map over the centuries.
rolleyes.png

I like the idea of limited maps, but no maps whatsoever is just silly. Unless we just crash landed on a new planet then it doesn't make any sense for a pretty developed world to not have been mapped out. I think this is where limited maps can add immersion for those that want it, but act like a guide to those who don't really care. Cities should be completely mapped and available to players. Same with areas surrounding the cities. As you get farther from the cities the maps get more vague, and in the most remote places of the world maybe have no maps, or VERY limited maps such as in dungeons, or extremely dangerous continents. Places like Kunark and Velious being good examples. Antonica should not be some great mystery.

All of that is probably moot though because the game will be fully mapped out in 100% detail and available on the internet before beta is even over heh.
Yea, most intelligent civilizations will have maps you can purchase. I also like your idea of unexplored and exotic areas not being completely mapped out.

Why not have in game maps you can purchase from players. Perhaps a cartography sub skill/class. It would be easy to implement and would increase community interaction and stimulate the early economy.

Roxby

Lord Nagafen Raider
Roughly drawn maps would be cool. Make it so that the character doesn't appear on it. If they take maps out completely then people will use other means. Internet, a pen and paper, cheat programs..

I agree with the ! points above quest NPCs. Take those out.

Sounds like you want an EQ1 remake, I doubt it will be that

Byr

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
if you include shitty maps now people will use outside means to make a better one. Hell, if you make a good ingame map people still use outside means to make ones that include what they want on it. It takes so little effort these days to do, it will happen if it needs to.

iannis

Musty Nester
Really

Yes, really. God damn. What did I just say?

It's like you forget
No, it's like YOU forget. What I just said. Pay the fuck attention.

the internet exists
Or does it? What the hell are you even trying to say?

the function of screenshots.
Ah... trotting out the old "appeal to tits" dog? Way to lose the argument, Hitler.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
In game maps aren't the issue, I would bet you have issue with in game GPS.
i see what you're saying

two of the trickier parts of using a map IRL are figuring out where you are on the map and figuring out what direction you're facing

maps make more sense than a coordinate system

Yea, most intelligent civilizations will have maps you can purchase. I also like your idea of unexplored and exotic areas not being completely mapped out.

Why not have in game maps you can purchase from players. Perhaps a cartography sub skill/class. It would be easy to implement and would increase community interaction and stimulate the early economy.
cartography as a tradeskill is a badass idea

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
I dont mind maps.. but fucking radar can go.

Also, I think its important to help build a solid community by allowing players to need other players. How do you find a certain place, how to get to a good spot in a dungeon. ect. These are things which are simple, which CAN be learned by anybody, but create and promote a community where players learn from and teach other players. Make actual experience matter. Its makes groups matter, it makes guilds matter, it makes not being an asshole matter.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
But I can already do only the stories that I want to do in the current iteration of the paradigm.
No. You're forced to do every quest whether you want to or not.

Current Paradign - Listening to Radio Station
Do all the quests in order, whether you like the quests or not (listen to all the music selected by someone else, no choice - but presumably you like some of the music since you picked the station)

SB Paradigm - Internet Radio with Genuis computer DJ
Do only the stories that are the kind of stories you like to do (listen to random music selected by the computer DJ that selects based on the type of music you like)

But as noted above, we can always wait for the reveal to see how the feature is implemented.