EQ Never

I didn't like that shit when I was 19 and voice chat started becoming A Thing People Did. Who wants to go home after a long day of dealing with dickheads and assholes all day and play some games while listening to dickheads and assholes all night?
This times 100 after long day of work, if wanna Game , Raid whatever just wanna do it and chill, listen to music. stream Netflix on TV whatever in background cant do that with a fucking headset on.

Voice chat works fine, when two or three people are talking.

Beyond that, its three people blabbing and 20+ people who gave up on ever getting a word in. I don't even bother wearing my headset anymore. Plus, its 10 degrees warmer in my computer room than the rest of the house so I have a fan on all the time and fuck you I'm not turning it off.

Voice chat is easily misheard, or missed entirely because you took a piss or saw something shiny. Text chat is always there for you to read. I'd say I comprehend maybe 2/3rds of what is said in voice chat. The rest may as well be the sound of two cows fucking.

Volume varies, mic quality varies, background noise etc. You've got mumblers, and mouth breathers - like that fucking guy that ends every phrase by BLOWING INTO THE MIC - and so much useless chatter that before long I completely tune out the sound of it.

Voice chat also makes it impossible to listen to something else, because a lot of MMOs are just dull enough that you need other entertainment to keep you entertained while you entertain.

And for fucks sake, you have the people who tell these long ass stories and the only way to say anything is to yell HEY SHUT UP A SECOND.
All this is fucking spot on.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
He left out lisps. Otherwise, I accept that vc beat down for the average guild.

Tol_sl

shitlord
He left out lisps. Otherwise, I accept that vc beat down for the average guild.
That's really the problem. I have a group of guys that I've been playing with since '99, and we all know each other well enough that we get along great in VC, but these days we're basically all doing different things, and only use VC for the occasional co-op or shooter game. Even then though, a lot of the time myself or others would just stick to text anyway. Basically every MMO vent I've been forced to join has been awful. It's like people are afraid of silence and constantly feel the need to be "entertaining" and loud whenever there's a lull. Only exception to this was naturally a FoH & friends vent channel I joined.

Zacx_sl

shitlord
Why does it need to? The world doesn't evolve around Carl. Maybe you should play Rift or something instead, you can do a 5 minute Warfront, or blaze through an instanced dungeon and not even bother wasting precious seconds talking to the other people.

I'm sure there could be something that is enjoyable in small chunks, but really, not everything has to be for everyone. Maybe it's time some of you sat one out for a change, and let the people who don't need instant gratification have a game for once. The problem is, the two types of game are not really compatible. And the problem with the I NEED FUN NAOWW! people is that you log in for 17 minutes, realize that your XP has hardly moved, and complain that it's too slow. And so does the other 800,000 WoW refugees. So the developer speeds the XP rate up and removes the corpse runs and all the stuff that takes time. And the result is that you people blast through the levels and then quit anyway because you are bored. And the people who liked the game all along, they still want to play, but now they have to play the turd of a game that is left after you locusts have fed off it and all moved on to the next flash in the pan 15 minutes of glory instant gratification game.
well said, agree totally

Crazily

N00b
I agree as well....I posted it long ago on those "other" forums....a MMO should be about the journey and not the destination.

Case in point....Asherons Call....there was no "end game" and the level cap was so ridiculously high it wasn't really a goal. People logged in to explore the world...and monthly story arcs/patches kept the world/lore moving forward. You played to enjoy that world and your character...not to show your epeen or rush to end game and bitch about nothing to do.

Here is a great quote from wikipedia how some of the mechanics of that MMO were different from the standard of the time:

"Many elements of Asheron's Call are radically different from most other MMORPGs. For example, Asheron's Call does not divide its world into different level zones. While some areas are much more dangerous to players than others, there is nonetheless a mix of different creatures types that creates much more unpredictability than is present in other games. Another key difference is that Asheron's Call does not use character level as the major determinant in the outcome of a combat. Level simply determines what skills are available, and it is the skills and equipment of players and creatures that determine the outcome. Whereas in many games a player will be able to move a cursor over an opponent and instantly know from their level whether they will be successful in combat, in Asheron's Call a character might be able to defeat much higher level foes or lose to much lower level ones, again depending upon one's skill choices and equipment. As with the absence of specific level zones, this creates a higher degree of unpredictability than in most games of this type."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asheron%27s_Call

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Probably old news - but new to me since I don't play EQ2. Here's the lore for the different EQs

David Georgeson?@DaveGeorgeson
@TuxedoMat each Norrath is different plane. CT dead in EQ, not EQII. Reverse true for rallos zek. But all Norraths touch in Ethernere.
They mentioned doing something that connected all EQs. So presumably at some point when EQN is released (or maybe when it is released) there will be some mobs coming out of the Ethernere in EQ and EQ2 or whatever.

I'm curious if EQNext will be set in same time frame of EQ or if they'll go back in time a bit.

Destante

Lord Nagafen Raider
The only time I gave in and installed voice chat was in EQ2 and I ended up quitting the game a day later. Immediately from the time I heard the voices of the guys I had been playing with for six months or more it quit being a fun fantasy game to kill some time and enjoy myself to a conference call. Completely ruined the immersion and was just jarring. Haven't used it since and wont ever again. That's just me though and I have no problem with other folks using it but I hate being in a group and trying to chat and the log is pretty much blank with virtual crickets chirping because the rest of them are in voice and aren't paying attention to it. There is no real solution to this problem except surrounding yourself with other like minded people.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
I'm going to reiterate how absolutely terrible most of the designers in this industry are - they don't know their own genre. At all.

Someone said it best on the old boards, maybe Szila or Lithose: we're all playing characters in a play called EverQuest. The reason voicechat is objectively bad, and it's been said already here, is that it brings to reality John from Denver or Pete from Ohio. I don't want to play with John from Denver or Pete from Ohio. I want to playwith their characters. Notice that doesn't mean roleplaying; it means wholly interacting and knowing the character through that character's actions in the gameworld. If John from Denver plays a badass murderer in UO who's feared and infamous, it will literally break any of that fear and infamy if I login to vent and hear he's some 15 year old kid with a country accent.

The massively multiplayer is not about playing with other people. It's about playing with the expressions of those other people in the gameworld.

Designers can't design worth a fucking shit anymore, and it's such a shame for this industry and all of us.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
If they implement a voice changer, people will be falling for mangina's like it was day 1

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I'm going to reiterate how absolutely terrible most of the designers in this industry are - they don't know their own genre. At all.

Someone said it best on the old boards, maybe Szila or Lithose: we're all playing characters in a play called EverQuest. The reason voicechat is objectively bad, and it's been said already here, is that it brings to reality John from Denver or Pete from Ohio. I don't want to play with John from Denver or Pete from Ohio. I want to playwith their characters. Notice that doesn't mean roleplaying; it means wholly interacting and knowing the character through that character's actions in the gameworld. If John from Denver plays a badass murderer in UO who's feared and infamous, it will literally break any of that fear and infamy if I login to vent and hear he's some 15 year old kid with a country accent.

The massively multiplayer is not about playing with other people. It's about playing with the expressions of those other people in the gameworld.

Designers can't design worth a fucking shit anymore, and it's such a shame for this industry and all of us.
yep. one of the worst MMO experiences i had is the first time our guild did VC and i discovered our guild leader sounded just like michael jackson. after that, it was impossible to take him seriously.

kudos

<Banned>
Probably old news - but new to me since I don't play EQ2. Here's the lore for the different EQs

They mentioned doing something that connected all EQs. So presumably at some point when EQN is released (or maybe when it is released) there will be some mobs coming out of the Ethernere in EQ and EQ2 or whatever.

I'm curious if EQNext will be set in same time frame of EQ or if they'll go back in time a bit.
I'm curious of when the first time "The Ethernere" showed up in EQ lore. I've never fucking heard of this shit before and I was a huge EQ lore nerd back in the day.