EQ Never

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For the people comparing WoW to EQ: what time frame for each? Years 1-5 of everquest are nothing like the most recent 5. Just like my WoW experience above was nothing like it would be if I jumped on a server today (I quit after Burning Crusade).
Vanilla WoW 4 or 5 years ago was my point of reference (just before WotLK). It felt more like EQ than any other mmo I've ever played, and I've played a ton of them. Even Vanguard didn't give me that same sense of deja vu. WoW's expansions took it in another direction, and I have no idea what WoW is like now.

Yes, WoW was more solo friendly, but EQ for many classes was fairly easy to solo in too. Even though grouping was rewarded much more in EQ. But those are minor details compared to everything else that was the same in those two games.

belfast_sl

shitlord
I guess I don't see it. I'm playing eqmac, getting punched in the dick repeatedly, and even that is a pretty tame representation of how things were in the early years. No death penalty (up to level 7 so far), no meditating while staring at the book.. Even without all that, it's still way more extreme than WoW was out of the gate. I mean, having to re-mem spells in EQ is a harsher penalty than anything vanilla WoW had. That shit takes forever. Dying in WoW was literally just inconvenient.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You are focused too much on minor details. I'm talking about the over feel of the games and the basic design elements. Of course there are differences, otherwise WoW wouldn't have become the hit it is. But if you look at WoW from a design perspective you can see everything the devs ripped straight out of EQ.

Then compare those two against all the other mmos and it becomes even more apparent.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I guess I don't see it. I'm playing eqmac, getting punched in the dick repeatedly, and even that is a pretty tame representation of how things were in the early years. No death penalty (up to level 7 so far), meditating while staring at the book, your character being god-awful at everything at first. Even without all that, it's still way more extreme than WoW was out of the gate. I mean, having to re-mem spells in EQ is a harsher penalty than anything vanilla WoW had. That shit takes forever.
For whatever reason they keep ignoring that stuff. Basically minus this, that and the other thing they are identical! It's doesnt work that way lol. You can't take a shit load of stuff tht made EQ what it was and say yea, it's identical to WoW minus all this other stuff...

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well if you don't see it, it's not that big a deal. It's not gonna change the taste of my Cheerios.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The difference between EQ and vanilla WoW is smaller than the difference between vanilla WoW and BC WoW. Leveling, dungeons, whatever.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You are focused too much on minor details. I'm talking about the over feel of the games and the basic design elements. Of course there are differences, otherwise WoW wouldn't have become the hit it is. But if you look at WoW from a design perspective you can see everything the devs ripped straight out of EQ.

Then compare those two against all the other mmos and it becomes even more apparent.
That's just an evolution in game design Grim. Starting with DnD/Muds and progressing. If you drop someone who started in WoW into orignal EQ I don't think they leave it feeling like WoW was a clone or felt there was little difference.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's just an evolution in game design Grim. Starting with DnD/Muds and progressing. If you drop someone who started in WoW into orignal EQ I don't think they leave it feeling like WoW was a clone..
Have them play a bunch of other mmos, then drop them into EQ (up to PoP). Most players will see the similarities in a very short time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Have them play a bunch of other mmos, then drop them into EQ (up to PoP). Most players will see the similarities in a very short time.
There will always be similarities. We are playing fantasy games hah. It's just how similar. I disagree WoW was so close to EQ in Design. Basically the main features were different.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nobody thinks EQ is like UO. So the evolution has nothing to do with it. The Blizzard devs blatantly copied much of EQ's basic design. Hats off to them, it worked.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nobody thinks EQ is like UO. So the evolution has nothing to do with it. The Blizzard devs blatantly copied much of EQ's basic design. Hats off to them, it worked.
So UO doesn't have any DnD similarities? I dunno.. I never played it.

What basic design was that? I mean how similar was vanilla WoW to EQ? Class balance wasn't the same, world didnt have the same feel or danger, you didn't need people on the same level. It didnt replicate the same feel at all for me. Again, I'm not knocking WoW bc it was fun but when I played I never thought I was playing EQ. Just a new fantasy game with some features that needed to be there not just rip offs. Stuff that you need to make a fantasy game lol

belfast_sl

shitlord
My point is, go play eqmac and see if you still feel they are very similar. They both are fantasy, have swords and shields...tons of similarities, but the similarities are minor details. The "basic design" is not the same.

I want to be clear that I am not saying one is better than the other. To me, Vanguard was a continuation/advancement on the design of Everquest; it was less restrictive than WoW, but more restrictive than EQ. Probably why a lot of proponents of EQN like a lot of what Vanguard had going on. Doesn't matter how awesome your classes and (some) dungeons are if the overall package is a buggy trainwreck without a sustainable population.

Everquest and (to a lesser degree) Vanguard had a level of freedom that WoW did not, and that alone makes them not all that similar.

Reasons why it was restricted: Almost any item worth having = bind on pickup (few crafted items out of the gate the exception, and they were all nerfed into the ground eventually), linked mobs on every pull in every dungeon, artificial limitations on ability effectiveness based on level of mob vs. player, mob tethering. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but it's been a while.

Edit: forgot one..they even nerfed the way instances respawn to stop high level players from farming low level instances for mats/money/bg alt gear. I mean, what the fuck, really? Isn't instancing supposed to keep newbies safe from high levels wiping their low level content? These are all things that make the game worse.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So UO doesn't have any DnD similarities? I dunno.. I never played it.

What basic design was that? I mean how similar was vanilla WoW to EQ? Class balance wasn't the same, world didnt have the same feel or danger, you didn't need people on the same level. It didnt replicate the same feel at all for me. Again, I'm knocking WoW bc it was fun but when I played I never th
I'm not going to get into it, it's not that important. If you understand what I'm talking about then great.

My original point was that quality matters in games as much as basic design. I just used WoW to illustrate that point. I was also refuting the notion that todays kids are somehow different than kids have always been. And it is wrong to think that they wouldn't like EQ Classic redone with modern graphics etc, as long as the quality is done well.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
If I never hear the words "Camp Check" in an MMON again I will be happy. Fuck Lower Guk SSOY/HBSS camps.
I am more of the opposite, I like that the world is filled and not instanced. I spent hours just chatting with other people waiting for camp spots, usually the solo camps as groups tended to move on when camps were full. It was where I learned to solo, by looking at what others did. What worked and what did not. Pet chaining and the likes. This because often some classes could solo where others could not. I played a mage, I usually found mages camping the places I wanted to camp.

And I do not agree that Vanilla WoW was EQ. EQ had danger from the start that proceeded through the entire game. WoW had, as others have stated, difficulty when you started doing group content and heroics/raids. Before I ever got to heroic/raid content in EQ, it scared me with orc pawns, spectres, sand giants, hill giants, dvinn, Grimfeather, werewolves.... So many mobs that roamed zones that outright oneshot me. And when Grim started chasing you, it usually ment death. He was crazy fast. Or that named necro gnoll that roamed NK that just dotted you and moved on because you were dead the moment he did.

It did not take long playing WoW before it was apparent that dying was meaningless, and odds were, you would not die at all until you hit the dungeons. And early on in WoW (I started playing on release day), even pug groups were filled with EQ players that knew what they were doing. Groups that played like experienced EQ players made the early dungeons I played redicilously easy. I am sure it became harder, but I never got to that point. Never felt right for me.

The two things I remember most about WoW when I started it. It had no weather and there was no darkness. Two things that struck me as natural and "wow a game can have this?" when I first started EQ. It was downright strange to not have it when I started WoW. WoW had tons of upgraded features, but some things just felt like they were missing. A combined effort to add/remove features to make a better game that ended up making it feel more like a game and less like a world. But that is all personal preference, and I am sure the WoW way caters to more. I just prefer Kitchitor over Duskwood. One scary, the other one is safe to bring your kids to, like a haunted house in a Disney park. Sure, you might get a jump scare, but nothing that will scar you for life.

In WoW, it was fun exploring a new world, but it never felt dangerous to do so, so the thrill wore off. I played as a Paladin, and the shield usually lasted long enough to run out of any mobs aggro range. I usually filled out the map of every zone as I entered it. Was rare to find areas outside of dungeons I could not fully explore, and death never once was a consern because I never decked out in purples to where it would cost enough gold for repairs to be noticed (and by the time you got to that point, you would have more gold anyways). Dying solo only ment running back and progressing afterwards. Even zerging if I found some named I wanted to try kill, which as a pally I usually could as long as they were only +4/5 levels above me. In EQ it was the polar opposite. Zones felt scary, I got lost all the time, and I remember being chased sooooo many times, from so many different mobs. Even meditating in EQ, staring at a spellbook was scarier than anything I experienced in WoW. Camping the gnolls in North Karana hearing "thump, thump", not knowing if it was an elephant or a roaming cyclops that would destroy me.

WoW made it so that you only had to group for dungeon content, and at no point soloing would dying ever require help from others. In EQ you grouped because soloing was scary. If you died it ment you HAD to get help if you did not have the ability to ressurect yourself. You had to contact someone else. Exp loss was too great to not ask for help, and even pay for it, not to mention if you could not get back to the corpse alone. No, to me EQ and WoW vanilla were very, very different games. Both good, and as games go, WoW probably better than EQ, but they certainly did not feel the same to me. The first thing I ever did in EQ was accidentally hit A and get killed by my trainer. By the time WoW came around, people could not even make that mistake anymore.

The PvE MMOs I have tried since EQ (nearly all of them) have all felt like they have added the children padding along the sides of the bowling lane to make sure the ball will eventually bounce at the pins. Fun, but overall less rewarding.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All good Grim. We probably just have different perceptions is all. I agree. Updated EQ would intriguing as shit to any MMO player IMO.

Fedor

<Banned>
Where the fuck is our video?
Fedor_sl said:
https://twitter.com/omeeddariani/sta...06866235113472

@everquest_next @omeeddariani @SonyOnline Does anyone realize the Everquest Next website stretch goal is at 100%? We want reveals
wink.png
@Khayotix @everquest_next @SonyOnline Yep. We're working on it. You guys came in a little earlier than we were expecting.
smile.png
god damn unfinished content
EverQuest_-_Gates_of_Discord_Coverart.png

You have 14 Days. If after that time the video is not properly released, I am no longer following you on any of my accounts. The rest of my guild will follow suit, as will several other guilds and people that follow EQNext.