EQ Never

Carl_sl

shitlord
This is actually what I'm waiting to see...even the term MMO is suspect, really. We don't know what that means. People refer to LoL as an MMO, even. So for all we know, all that destructible stuff happens within a shard of the world, and you rejoin the main world when heading back to town or some crap. I hope it's not the case, but until they actually get deeper into the mechanics of things, it's hard to even understand what we are looking at.
They DID say that the world heals after you beat it up, they said that with people destroying things all the time it would have to heal so that suggests its open world destruction.

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
It will separate the men from the boys now. And I don't mean in the figurative way but literally, anyone over like 25 or something, will not be interested in this lame little kids game, Fantasy Minecraft Online with Spellz n Swordz Dude Bro ORsum! And anyone under that age will think it is the second coming.
I thinkmostof us started playing EQ when we were all like between 13-20.

If the tech existed for super flashy shit back in the 90s it would have been implemented. Hell, I knew very few people who could actually run EQ with particle density set to max because of all the shit flying around on the screen while in groups. Also, original EQ was not some old ass "adult" run elf simulator, the most powerful guilds in the game were mostly staffed by people in their teens or early 20s. Hell the first guild I ever joined back in like April of 99 was named <Bladez of Fyre>, you don't get much more "dude bro" than that.

Anomander Rake

Golden Knight of the Realm
My favorite part is qwerty telling people that "when they get to be 20, they will understand what the generation before them feels about change". Bitch, i'm turning 40 on Sunday and I'm into what I saw.

Nhilist_sl

shitlord
On the last part, where the devs were playing "live"...where was the UI overlay...target, hps, spell/ability bar? Were the abilities just hot-bar'd and they knew what to hit? I had to watch it at work, so I missed some of the commentary, did I miss something?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I remember turning particles off in EQ because it made it too hard to see what was going on. In EQ. Where nothing is going on.

Caliane

They DID say that the world heals after you beat it up, they said that with people destroying things all the time it would have to heal so that suggests its open world destruction.
Small things like bridges, trees, etc. we have seen that before.
what about his example of grabbing a pikeaxe and digging down? will that hole close up behind you?

How exactly do you have a persistent, procedurally generated world? I was under the impression those two words were mutually exclusive.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My favorite part is qwerty telling people that "when they get to be 20, they will understand what the generation before them feels about change". Bitch, i'm turning 40 on Sunday and I'm into what I saw.
Lol that's qwerty. The style of graphics didn't bother me(I like wildstar) but the kerran made me laugh at him. I swear I heard the lion king theme song in my head when he popped on screen. I think its the head, it just looks so hilarious.

Other then that, I think the only other thing I didn't like was the ogre. I was hoping for a fat dumb peanut brain race, but it looks more like a asian mongrel horde.

Noahx

N00b
Basically....
"We just can't make EQ over again... can you guys do it for us?"

Countdown to a band of people that will recreate the old world of EQ using their landmarks (ie: Old Seb, Guk, etc)... and then: Buy my content for $9.99.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
On the last part, where the devs were playing "live"...where was the UI overlay...target, hps, spell/ability bar? Were the abilities just hot-bar'd and they knew what to hit? I had to watch it at work, so I missed some of the commentary, did I miss something?
There was none of that, it was a staged gimmicky thing. It's obvious the shit is not even in alpha yet. They only had 2 NPC models, lol.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Basically....

Countdown to a band of people that will recreate the old world of EQ using their landmarks (ie: Old Seb, Guk, etc)... and then: Buy my content for $9.99.
Which is exactly what soe wants. Give the creator a dollar for ever $10 and laugh all the way to the bank.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Kerrans and Humans, 3 mobs and like 2 functioning zones, no AI.

The Wizard Spires and shit gives me hope, though.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Basically....

People would make a killing doing this.

I thinkmostof us started playing EQ when we were all like between 13-20.
If the tech existed for super flashy shit back in the 90s it would have been implemented.
Fyre - doesn't get more dude bro than that
You are right.

Back then there was Tribes and Quake and Team Fortress and stuff like that. It was cool. But EQ was a completely different experience, because it was like a grown up nerds game, taking the pen n paper thing and making a game version of it where you get to live it, rather than sit around a table with a DM. You didn't have to be a grown up to enjoy it, I was only a teenager at the time, but it was a real change from all the usual shooter and action games. But that entire type of player is forgotten now, for whatever reason. I suspect it's just too small and it's better to cater to the 14 million WoW players.

I always thought SOE might be the one to break the trend because so many others have tried to cash in on the WoW thing and never really succeeded. It is inevitable that some company could try going back to the original style of game and have a new success with that style of game. What SOE have done is basically outdo WoW. I didn't think they could afford that kind of thing, but that's what they've done.

Well age is just a rough guide. You can still be 40 and have the mind of a 12 year old kid. Your post proves that.

Carl_sl

shitlord
So They didn't say it in the video but websites are already reporting that there are no levels in eq next and that a seasoned vet can play with a new player by simply leveling skills they havent maxed yet. Doesn't that at the same time suggest there is no gear progression though? Isn't gear progression, (whether it be fast like wow or slow and rare like EQ) the ENTIRE point of most of these games? The whole point of raiding and dungeoning?

kudos

<Banned>
What the fuck does this have in common with EVE? I don't see it. Granted there is a lot more still to go but nothing in that reveal showed me anything like EVE. I really really fucking hope this world is big. I'm assuming it's not because he said "servers" multiple times.

spronk

FPS noob
To me, what they showed hasn't moved the MMO genre forwards its just moved it a little sideways, genericMMO + Minecraft. Its all cool ideas but no real execution right now too, a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if..." and "imagine if..." which we have heard hundreds and hundreds of times from Warhammer Online, Age of Conan, GW2, TERA, etc long before launch. I hope they can execute their ideas and do it well, and I think those of you who think this is launching in fall 2014 are terribly optimistic. It looks at least two years out from launch.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
It's probably like TSW, where you have no "level" except all of your weapon and armor skills have levels and those determine what quality of gear you can wear. So you have levels without having levels and it amounts to the same shit.

it really doesn't sound like eve. instead you play against a dlc/rallycall/script. it's not an ecosystem -- though it's easy to imagine that it could be. instead of auto-self-healing-tress, why not make the druid class be in charge of it? or point to a building and tag it as autohealing but have contracts to supply building materials.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seems like the world has to be absolutely huge with some slow travel for the AI to work right. I mean if everyone can instantly port to save a town the raiding mobs will probably lose every time?