EQ Never

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
.*All items will be bind on equip (or pickup, not sure). He said that he loved the idea of non-bind weapons but they ruin the economy.
the game will be heavily based on gear, he loves gear and loves the hunt for gear. One example he gave us is say you were a Rogue that wanted to get the wizard's teleport spell - well once you obtain the teleport spell and use it, you most likely would not have enough stamina/mana/whatever to do your backstab, so you would want to gear that class specifically for this task by obtaining a weapon that returned stamina/mana/whatever on teleport.
Well, this is a big disappointment, because one of the things that makes horizontal systems work is a gear restraint. If gear is all BoE, then it changes how you can "lose" it, which pretty much means you will very rarely lose it or have it destroyed. In that case, you can probably just bring entire gear kits with you and pop them on whenever--without risk that the ten classes in your pocket will ever be a problem (Because you might die and lose all the gear for them.)

I understand the fears of how farmers will affect the game, but BoE in a horizontal (Sandbox) system usually spells bad, bad things. I guess we will see. (Just wish they would have tried to be as innovative with farmed economies as they are trying to be with the rest of the game, and not default to BoE.)

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like the idea of SWGs crafting. That game you would literally try to find the good crafters because they made the best quality stuff. You ran around or ask around trying to find the guys shop.
I have yet to see a game implement crafting as well as SWG did. Too bad the rest of the game was ass. Crafting was so good that when I was doing the holo grind to Jedi, I kept Chef. I'd run around hunting Imps wearing a Chef hat and wielding a flamethrower.

Cthalupa_sl

shitlord
This was my least favorite part of Rift. Being able to switch my class at will was a turn-off and led to me not playing past a couple of weeks (well it was one of the contributing factors). I like playing support classes because there is a need for them in groups, and after a year of playing EQN if everyone can be tank/healer/dps your don't *need* a certain class... you just need 5-6 people and you can form the group composition after that.

I don't play EVE but I agree with your point about touching a "base" to change class. I would think they would have to do this to prevent the WIZ porting issue and other problems with fast class switching.

Their vision for class design really sounds similar to Path of Exile to me, so they aren't really breaking new ground with their first Holy Grail. COmbine that with the 4 + 4 action bar and I get visions of a PS4 controller. I hope they tread lightly and don't make a TERA/BaldursGate
biggrin.png
A for the twitchy console-rs... although ball lightning was the shit so they should add that
smile.png
I played FF11 heavily, where changing classes was done just by returning to your 'home' and using a menu. It might have been because leveling to cap was such a pain in the ass and drawn out experience, but it was hardly ever a case of "Grab a bunch of random people, figure out comp from there."

In the top tier guilds (linkshells), of course a lot of people had multiple classes leveled to cap, and had gear for them, and could switch around, but in games where you can't have multiple classes on a single character, these top tier guilds have people with alts instead.

In my experience with max level content in MMOs with a similar system, you just don't see random people swapping between the classes all the time and just joining up with the first handful of people they can find and sorting it out from there.

This does not sound similar to the POE system to me, either.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
There are 3 important points that will make or break this game for people like Ut, qwerty, and myself. That is, 3 issues that will tell us whether the game is worth a shot:

1: thespecificmechanics of class switching and how these mechanics will relate to class interdependence. Right now, I'm thinking of WoW talent swapping here, which is a complete and total failure. (And ps, to the someone who said WoW dungeons aren't steamroll enough to where skills do matter - is it too late to laugh in your virtual face?)

2: Mob difficulty. They have to be at least as hard as EverQuest mobs were.

3: Death penalty. It has to matter, otherwise the best combat, class, skill design in the world won't make a difference.
As you arestillapparently too stupid to figure this out for yourself, let me assist you:PEOPLE LIKE YOU ARE NOT THE TARGET MARKET AND SOE COULDN'T GIVE A FLYING FUCK WHAT YOU THINK, WANT, OR DESIRE OUT OF EQ NEXT.

HTH

HAND

asocirev_sl

shitlord
I think lore is Sunday but I wanted to see if I followed the sand art..

Apparently dragons wipe out everything and now Norrath is rebuilding. I'm assuming that you have the choice to rebuild Norrath (i.e. take part in progressive portions of the rally quests) or side with those currently in power, I believe the Ring of Scale, or maybe those that worship it. Thus giving you the option to take part on the other side of the rally quests. That's just looking at it from the surface and with single examples. If this is it (in its simplest form) than that easily lends to the PvP sides of things and would allow them to also bring PvP into rally quests or even other quests.
This also could explain the thousands of years of lore (28 expansion packs) buried underfoot.

Cthalupa_sl

shitlord
There are 3 important points that will make or break this game for people like Ut, qwerty, and myself. That is, 3 issues that will tell us whether the game is worth a shot:

1: thespecificmechanics of class switching and how these mechanics will relate to class interdependence. Right now, I'm thinking of WoW talent swapping here, which is a complete and total failure. (And ps, to the someone who said WoW dungeons aren't steamroll enough to where skills do matter - is it too late to laugh in your virtual face?)

2: Mob difficulty. They have to be at least as hard as EverQuest mobs were.

3: Death penalty. It has to matter, otherwise the best combat, class, skill design in the world won't make a difference.
You're trying to blast content that is supposed to be easy for being easy. Blizzard's conscious design choice is that the only difficult content is supposed to be heroic raiding. And heroic raiding is not a faceroll - especially during progression, before you've been farming it for 6 months. I think WoW is a shitty game for a myriad of reasons, from making the normal vs heroic split, to the bullshit daily quest grind you have to do, to half a dozen different other things, but I imagine keeping complaints into the realm of reality is a better way to make a case than propping up straw men.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Someone corner a dev about all this mention of rifle barrels and guns please.

With destructable terrain, a hardcore, pvp server with guns is going to look like fucking Syria.

rrr_img_38810.jpg

Fucking Whirlwind again.

Dumar_sl

shitlord
You're trying to blast content that is supposed to be easy for being easy. Blizzard's conscious design choice is that the only difficult content is supposed to be heroic raiding. And heroic raiding is not a faceroll - especially during progression, before you've been farming it for 6 months. I think WoW is a shitty game for a myriad of reasons, from making the normal vs heroic split, to the bullshit daily quest grind you have to do, to half a dozen different other things, but I imagine keeping complaints into the realm of reality is a better way to make a case than propping up straw men.
I'm blasting the obvious decision to make and design everything to be eyes-closed easy except for heroic raiding, which is absolutely fucking stupid and was done just for the hyper casual player in mind. The Blizzard designers never put their money where their mouth is, except for a brief period in TBC.

Almost every mob in WoW dies to a bunch of push button sparkles in 15-20 seconds. Fuck, they even removed the blood from alpha if you recall.

That precise mentality is what SOE must avoid here, much to the disdain of apologists like Itzena.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
ALL we need from this game is that it delivers/works as a proof of concept for:

-It's voxel based engine
-Storybricks

Even if EVERYTHING ELSE ends up sucking, as long as THOSE two systems work as well as we can imagine they could, we're OK. Because someone else will take them and wrap them up in a better combat/leveling/crafting/movement/animations/whathaveyou enveloppe and realize their full potential. And it won't just be MMOs.
I'm glad this game will be twitchy like DCUO. I know from talking with the devs that getting that to work in DCUO took an incredible amount of time and resources. Since DCUO, I've not been able to play another MMO, because the combat seemed so sluggish.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
What is storybricks besides users selecting quests from templates and turning a few knobs?

Blackwulf

N00b
I'm waiting for something to get pissed off about, and so far, it isn't happening.

This looks like a game I want to play.
I'm excited to see how it shapes up over the next year or two. I'm hoping with enough feedback they'll tone down the cartoony/explody bits and even old bastards like me will enjoy it.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
If anything, even if it doesn't live up to the hype. At least it's different.

Fucking tired of WoW clones.

Underjoyed_sl

shitlord
any of you that are of the age must remember that feeling. Growing up around Star Wars, as a kid, geeking out as a teenager, getting the games, reading the books and totally went mental when Lucas announced the prequels. Reading non stop leaks and info building up to the release date. Watching people line up weeks in advance outside theatres, going with some friends to the midnight showing or one of the other 24 hour/day showings at the time. Then while you're watching the most excruciating piece of shit every put to film, wrapping your head around Jar Jar and all the other crap going on, your brain can't quite grasp what you're witnessing. It was total denial. Even after the movie ended we were still trying to convince ourselves "gee, that wasn't that bad, that wasn't the biggest letdown in the history of humanity"... That was exactly the feeling watching the EQ Next reveal and watching that stupid cartoon lion which (i'm not fucking kidding here) I thought was supposed to be a joke a first then realized they were dead serious about it. What small percentage of hope I ever had left in regards to the MMORPG genre just slipped away like a fart in the wind.