EQ Never

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Dude, stop with the full retard. There's a bunch of authored content in the game everybody will play it for a while until those of us, like myself, get a little tired of the combat. As for EQ3, we'll see. Why make 2 games using the same art assets, when you can make three. Announce it at SOELive in 2015 after EQN releases put in Easter Eggs for E3 in EQN to keep those like me playing after they would normally quit and release in 2017 after the players have made all your buildings in Landmark.
tad, i lova ya bro, but you are in full denial right now. there ain't gonna be an EQ3, at least not in the next 10 years or so. and i know for a fact that you'll be one of the first people hating on this game after a few days of realizing that it's just a glorified gw2.
smile.png

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah but that doesn't really tell me what it is.

I understand from their website they are focusing basically on AI? But that won't stop datamining. I hope it does. I don't mind a wowhead like site if everything on it is user-submitted like thottbot back in the day. That's fine, but there would still leave tons of shit that nobody has bothered finding yet.

I'm excited for finding rarer classes and maybe armors or attributes. With any luck, super rare quests.

booksy_sl

shitlord
have u played this? Is it like DOTA but in a MMO form? I would play the shit outta that. Only thing I dont like with moba's is that its repetitive as hell, people play the same few maps over and over and there is no long term goal besides stats which is for nerds. Give it a story and world though!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider

Somehow seems fitting even though it is for a different game.

I think I was part of the -110% Tad because I feel like Ut now. Can agree that there are great ideas, but no faith at all that the devs will be able to implement the things they are suggesting. There are too many NDAs part of the game mechanics that are supposed to pull the features they wish to accomplish together. Too similar to other games where they give big talks about overlying mechanics, but have strict NDAs on the smaller parts, or just not knowing. Have no faith they will be able to do it. In my previous posts I have stated several times that marketing is what decides gameplay now, not developers themselves. To have key devs now directly state that marketing decides the major parts of the game is just.... The game is literally being made by surveys. Majority rules. And the majority of todays MMO audience have never tried EQ. So EQs underlying game mechanics, that have been removed in later games, will not show up in EQ:N. Especially considering it seemed from the class panels and such that they had not played EQ, but rather had their mmo experience from other games.

The dev nearly screaming "I refuse to let my guild fall apart if my healer left". What kind of guild was that anyways? Was it at the very, very late stages of the games lifecycle with empty servers? Then that is something that is bound to happen. But If not, open up reqruitment. We need a healer, apply with us. If your guild has good enough reputation, people will.

Each guild decides how to invite players, which again affects how much they can do. To take the example of my EQ guild, which was not top end, but we had a reputation of being good players and often would get invited to raids by the top guilds on the server just by the guild tag alone. To maintain that reputation, the application process was a minimum of 1 month app period, and if even 2 people did not want you in by that time, you were out. If 1 person disliked you, you could get another month extension, but that was it. You needed over 60 or 70% of the active players to vouch for you along with two sponsors who could only sponsor one at a time, and preferably wait a bit after they had done it before doing it again. So generally people applied and said hello on the forums, started joining up for groups and perhaps invited to raids (no loot) and then got sponsors if someone in the guild liked the applicant enough. Personal character was far more important than the gear or abilities. The guild did fall apart with EQ2 and WoW coming out, but it was not due to lack of any one class, but rather to sustain the numbers required to raid (72 was it not?). The policies required to join were never laxed, which was the guilds personal choice. Do not think I ever once heard the discussion of "RAGE! Wish I could switch my class so we can get heals!". While we still raided, at worst we sent out an invite to someone from other guilds we knew and joined forces for a bit if we required one special class for something. Or people logged on alts.

I dunno. EQ:N has many things going for it, it just seems to be desgined for everyone but old EQ players. From my experience since EQ (tried nearly every MMO since then), features have been added to make everything "faster". Faster combat, grouping, guild searches, buying, travel, recovery from death, everyhing. Only thing that has slowed down in MMOs past EQ is the chat and the communities that formed with it, which is what I associated with the mmo part.

Hope Tad is right and they release EQ3 a few years later. Or at least a special ruleset server. Guess the good part is that I have no problem waiting another year for this. Not pressing F5 on any mmo site to look for news.

Also, the post that said that they were making EQ3, but scrapped it in favor for what they showed now made me sad.

rrr_img_39373.jpg

Sigh.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
storybricks: a great idea, if there weren't a bunch of dick holes on this planet. yes, orcs gather up, build numbers, increase strength, build up camps, build up fortresses, attack local towns, and eventually cities...unless every single orc is killed instantly upon spawning by the 200+ people in the zone who think it's funny to do it and watch everyone else complain about it.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Most likely.

I mean cmon, EQ without levels? Leveling was THE best part about EQ. Finding the best spots to gain them, getting into one of those spots and running so smoothly you never want to log off, the people you meet while trying to find those spots, being terrified of traveling through the world because of the chance that you might lose them, the prestige and ability that came with them, etc. etc. Taking levels out of EQ is like taking the icing off a cake. You can try to sell it, but we all know it just won't be as sweet.

It's hard to imagine an alternative progress based approach being more fun. There's something so satisfying about seeing the level bar tick up bit by bitin a world where it can also tick down.
I'm not against horizontal progression, I like the idea actually. But it doesn't mean much when all the content is easy. And EQNext does have levels of a sort. They call them Tiers though. You wont be able to do Tier 5 content when you first start out. You'll need good gear and abilities.

Getting rid rid of taunt is a good idea too, at least on paper. Cheesy mechanic anyways. But getting rid of support classes and turning everyone into DPS sucks. Especially if you make all of your content face roll drivel, ala GW2.

Getting rid of the trinity is fine, as long as you come up with something better. GW2 couldn't do it, what makes anyone think SoE can?

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like this quote from one of the panels:

EverQuest is probably the best example I can think of for promoting social interaction and social bonds, more so than any game I've seen in the last decade. I think that's accurate.

I mean our goal is the same, it's just our mechanisms might be different.

But certainly our understanding of interdependence and the need for your fellow community members couldn't be stronger.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
I like this quote from one of the panels:
EverQuest is probably the best example I can think of for promoting social interaction and social bonds, more so than any game I've seen in the last decade. I think that's accurate.

I mean our goal is the same, it's just our mechanisms might be different.

But certainly our understanding of interdependence and the need for your fellow community members couldn't be stronger.
Good luck convincing some of the folks here of that.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yet everyone can be everything. Isn't that the opposite of interdependence.

The example they gave about world size and paying a wizard for a port. Why? Just level your wizard "set" on the side and port yourself. Need buffs, level that class to get what you need and buff yourself.

It's going to be hilarious when it comes loot time, when people want things for their 3rd, 4th , 5th class on the same character. If you thought for alts was bad :p THough on the flipside it almost means loot should never go to waste, because every fucking person has the possibility of using it.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good luck convincing some of the folks here of that.
Anyone can say that crap. Do you actually believe they will deliver it?

Social interaction in EQ happened because you had to group up to do the content. Soloing wasn't a real option for most players. EQNext will be a solo friendly game and you know it.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
My guess would be SOE is hedging their bets on class+skill layout+emergent AI to accomplish that interdependence.

We won't know until we hear more.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Social interaction in EQ happened because you had to group up to do the content. Soloing wasn't a real option for most players. EQNext will be a solo friendly game and you know it.

Because it's horizontal progression, you'll always need other people:

If you want to go out and fight a dragon, or attack, say, Crushbone, where there are hundreds and hundreds of Orcs, you're probably not going to do that by yourself. You are never going to become a 100th level Warrior that can take on the whole world by himself.

There's group content out there that requires a group. It doesn't matter how many classes you collect, you're still only one dude.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
My guess would be SOE is hedging their bets on class+skill layout+emergent AI to accomplish that interdependence.

We won't know until we hear more.
lol. emergent AI. i love how you guys are falling for this. do you really expect something like the matrix to actually exist? you think there are going to be agent smiths running around the world? it's a fucking gimmick. if storybricks can even do 1/100 of what they're claiming it can do i'll be shocked.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
Anyone can say that crap. Do you actually believe they will deliver it?

Do I believe they will deliver? I have no clue. Jumping to conclusions when we have such little information is pretty damn pointless. Constructive discussions tend to fall by the way side when the subjective comes into play and people become convinced that their "prophecy" is the real deal.

I liked the idea of the folks here drawing up some ideas to try and prepare for when we get the opportunity to make the game better but some of the full retard bullshit needs to go by the way side in order to achieve that.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
lol. emergent AI. i love how you guys are falling for this. do you really expect something like the matrix to actually exist? you think there are going to be agent smiths running around the world? it's a fucking gimmick. if storybricks can even do 1/100 of what they're claiming it can do i'll be shocked.
Me stating what I believe SOE is trying to do does not mean I believe they will do it. Hence why I said "my guess".

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because it's horizontal progression, you'll always need other people:
?... Horizontal progression doesn't make it instantly a social game. You are putting a lot of faith into their hype, when they haven't shown us anything but a couple of cartoons.

I like the voxel tech and Landmark could be cool. They had something to show there. But EQNext isn't anything more than a whole lot of empty promises. Nothing has been built yet. Believing anything they say this early is foolish. Everyone knows how much games change this far from release.

Do I believe they will deliver? I have no clue. Jumping to conclusions when we have such little information is pretty damn pointless. Constructive discussions tend to fall by the way side when the subjective comes into play and people become convinced that their "prophecy" is the real deal.

I liked the idea of the folks here drawing up some ideas to try and prepare for when we get the opportunity to make the game better but some of the full retard bullshit needs to go by the way side in order to achieve that.
Heh, good point. But you should also take your own medicine. EQNext is nothing more than a glorified kickstarter, everything is subject to change.

But given their history and their statements, they seemed more inclined towards a faceroll solo game, than anything with meaningful challenge that requires social interaction to achieve.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
I agree, they are making these promises but have showed us jack shit of it in action. Personally I feel they would have showed it if it was mind blowing to solidify that their game owns the mmo genre and that people need to start packing their (characters) bags in other mmo's cause this game is legit.