EQ Never

iannis

Musty Nester
Hence the question mark. I'm not sure the %age, but their retention was something horrific. Guild Rosters changed 50% month to month... that's some serious attrition.

And for the other part, I was talking about EqHD... so no, it's not at all a poor judge. lol. It's really the best indicator of performance besides for actually doing it -- which wouldn't be an indicator at all. It would be the actual thing.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Everything I've read so far seems to indicate there is no autoattack. Judging from my admittedly short stint in TOR, that is probably going to suck. Not even being able to finish something off with autoattacks in order to write something in group or guild because you have to keep pushing attacks to actually deal those last few hits was annoying.

As far as post-combat downtime is concerned I'd want WoW vanilla level downtime ideally, so a minute or so to drink/eat up (important - not a minute to run up to the next conveniently placed pack of mobs). They might have that, or they might not, havent seen any info either way.
There is no auto attack. Mobs don't sit around letting you wail on them. Snare and slow for the win. Also I am the king of auto attack so I feel for you.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Theres phat lewt in dem voxels.

http://images.wikia.com/everquestnex...5/51/Tiers.jpg

EQ1 Troll Plate Armor, SSOY, Stein of Moggok model, Exe Axe model, a ring, a glowing black stone, and a ghoulbane hidden in between the layers.

rrr_img_39668.jpg

Dead Troll Warrior in Rubicite, badass.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
I hope they can pull off the same degree of variety that they'll have above ground in their subterranean areas,, though. If it's all just "cool blue caves" and then "red with lava" I can see it getting a little old (thinking of the oblivion gates in TES, must be a better example though). Procedural generation isn't interesting when it's just geometric variations on the same theme to infinity.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
so why is it just the MMO industry that ignores this fact?
Because it has been proven that you need all types of players (the 4 Bartle types) in order to build a sustainable community of players in a persistent world.

Cerzi

Golden Knight of the Realm
And Eve Online has proven that it's possible to do... There's definitely hardcore players that fit into each Bartle type.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I don't think there was a genuinely hard raid in EQ until Overlord Mata MUram and that was long after most of the EQ Rose-colored-glasses-wearing-motherfuckers had long since left the game. Everquest was never hard. It was slow. There's a difference. That time it took to do things and the time you lost when you failed made it have a bigger impact, I agree. It wasn't hard, though.
Well at that time raid caps and min-maxing them was there in full force - early EQ difficulty could largely be reduced with more players, so everyone experienced that era very differently. My guild was usually low on players due to the time zone situation and I felt stuff genuinely challenging/fun because of that. At some point we rose to being top guild on the server which brought more players in and that plus the way raids developed into bigger raid sizes took alot of the fun away.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
I don't understand why the general consensus is that an EQ3 title wouldn't draw a large player base? I used to feel that way too, but the more i think about it, we played it for a long ass time, and 13 years later we still sit here cock in hand following everything about it. I'm sure there's an equivalent fan base for EQ3 in the newer generation of gamers as well.
The problem is that one of the factors that made EQ work was the state of the market at release. The only real competition was UO. A lot of the more "hardcore" elements worked because there wasn't many other MMOs for players to switch to. Today many would just switch to some other MMO that required less effort.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So, EQN... does anyone care about immersion in the world, and do you think this new version of Norrath will be satisfying in this regard? For me its a big factor and I'm dubious for now because they are fucking up my nostalgia with too many radical diversions from the old lore. Less would've been more in this regard. I'm VERY curious about storybricks though, if the guys that made that are keeping their promises it's probably going to be awesome. Also I'm looking forward to alot of tears about people burning bridges through their actions. Gonna be interesting to find out of they stay true to their "life of consequences" motto.
Depends on how you define immersion. You all do realize sony is going full Avatar on this game? They don't want type chat. They want you using soemote and voice chat and oculus rift/fpv.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
So are they suggesting you can just digdug up loot? Seems lame if so.
lol dig up dual yaks, a GBS, ghoulbane, a stein and some rubicite right away

also

Rosie Rappaport ?@Rosierap 8m

You all have some amazing EQ screenshots, please send em my way. I've been seeing awesome shots from players. #EQscreenshots

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
You cite "bleeding edge raiding" in WoW to illustrate that WoW presents more risks then EQ did?
As has been pretty well established, if you were in a half decent guild, there was little risk at all. But we weren't talking about risk, we were talking about difficulty. He was calling WoW 'pussy casual bullshit', even though it has content that was 100x more difficult (atleast mechanically) than EverQuest ever was.

So, EQN... does anyone care about immersion in the world, and do you think this new version of Norrath will be satisfying in this regard? For me its a big factor and I'm dubious for now because they are fucking up my nostalgia with too many radical diversions from the old lore.
It's going to be a different world, with some throwbacks to old locations and lore. I think they have a good chance at make a pretty immersive world, however. Their whole design is based around going out and exploring, without anyone holding your hand or telling you where to go. I don't see how any old EQ players could diminish that.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Warrior
Cleric
Wizard
Rogue
Shaman
Ranger
Paladin
Mage

My guess.
Warrior (duh)
Cleric (support/heal with a bit of melee, but no paladin because those require strict faction and behaviour)
Rogue (obvous)
Ranger ("ranged rogue")
Priest ("ranged cleric")
Druid (treehugger)
Wizard or magician (nukes)
Necromancer (evil wizard)