EQ Never

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I logged into P99 today to power level a friend for about an hour and was curious how they are going to handle regaining mana/health. As much as it sucks to sit there and regain your mana for several minutes, I like that about EQ. I can do other shit while I'm just sitting there afk. Whereas in WoW I can drink some milk or melon juice or whatever it is nowadays and be nearly FM within 30 seconds. I would think they are going the new school route. The old school gamer in me just wants that, "fuck you, you gotta sit here and think about why you used your mana the way you did" mentality.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
No, I get it. I'm just not as invested as you seem to be, and that's cool too. I mean, you were there, right? You brought us a lot of leet infos, so thanks! I just hope you can start to see the forest from the trees. It's a new EQ, and a totally new MMO experience. Don't get so wrapped up in minutia.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
No, I get it. I'm just not as invested as you seem to be, and that's cool too. I mean, you were there, right? You brought us a lot of leet infos, so thanks! I just hope you can start to see the forest from the trees. It's a new EQ, and a totally new MMO experience. Don't get so wrapped up in minutia.
This made me laugh for some reason. We will see if anything new shows up at Gamescon, I think PAX will be limited to press interviews.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
I always thought EQ's lore was real amateur hour garbage honestly. From start to finish it was just boring, generic fantasy. Like a Salvatore book in game form. It is kinda strange to see that people actually got emotionally invested in that crap. Especially when it comes to the characters. The gods of EQ have damn near no depth to them whatsoever. They were just names attached to poorly written fanfic for years, and then loot pinatas during PoP. Sony could of just scrapped them all and had a name generator spit out a dozen new ones and nothing of value would of been lost.

You guys like what you like I guess, but jesus boys you are setting the bar a bit low on things to get upset about.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
I would think a lot of people don't really care about the lore. The only things I really tied together from the original EQ classes and a God was druids and Tunare. Later on I was like ok...Tallon or Vallon Zek must've been rangers. Outside of that I just wanted to beat the content because it was actually difficult to do unless you were in a high end guild. Even then I'd imagine there was a lot of time spent in figuring it out. In short, I doubt a lot of people even care about the lore aspects of games. I never cared about it in WoW or EQ and I still had some fun. I think people just want some challenging content at this moment in time. Makes sense for dwarves to worship something like Brell and not dark elves doing the same but I think some people try to look into stuff too much. In short, nitpicking a video game's lore will get you a pessimistic blog about things 10% of the community will read (not even care about) if you ain't careful.

Lost Ranger_sl

shitlord
MMO lore in general is pretty bad. Games like WAR don't count because they took a very rich IP like Warhammer andruinedmade a game out of it. Any MMO that tried to make their own though has pretty much failed in my eyes. It just seems like 99% of it is written with "how can we turn this into a raid zone?" in mind.

Jarnin_sl

shitlord
With the tiny amount of info from EQN that's been released, of course folks are going to nitpick the shit out of it. Some of us have been big fans of the franchise for nearly 15 years. I played a DE wizzie on Rallos Zek for 4 years and was a member of a guild called The Disciples of Hate, whose members consisted of about 40% roleplayers, so the removal of Innoruuk kinda pissed me off at first, but I'm rolling with the changes.

I just want to experience a new game, not another rehash of EQ/WoW again. I can deal with the changes if it can even come close to the original feeling I had playing EQ.

calhoonjugganaut

Trakanon Raider
Same here. I would love for it to meet in the middle somewhere difficulty wise. Probably my favorite part of WoW was Alterac Valley. There was much more to the game than that but winning some of those battles seemed like the most difficult part of the game so that's why I always went back to it. Like Fugees and Funyuns.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I miss AV until I realize AV games lasted like 7 hours-5 days. But I would take that over baseraces any day. I don't know how it is now but last time I played there was more PvP to be had in Darnassus at 4am than there was in AV.

rolx_sl

shitlord
With the tiny amount of info from EQN that's been released, of course folks are going to nitpick the shit out of it. Some of us have been big fans of the franchise for nearly 15 years. I played a DE wizzie on Rallos Zek for 4 years and was a member of a guild called The Disciples of Hate, whose members consisted of about 40% roleplayers, so the removal of Innoruuk kinda pissed me off at first, but I'm rolling with the changes.

I just want to experience a new game, not another rehash of EQ/WoW again. I can deal with the changes if it can even come close to the original feeling I had playing EQ.
Honestly I think that is the conclusion i'm coming too as well. Long as its fun as fuck, the class changing just makes me freak out on the inside.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I am still pissed at no Rallos Zek, Marr is a pussy. I will find a way to worship zek in game and destroy all the pink pallies who worship the lame war god Marr.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I guess I'm not totally up to speed with EQN lore. Is Tunare out right now?
I think they are just announcing what is 'known' to avatars, it might be that there is a lot of stuff in the world not yet revealed and using the coming back to Qeynos as a plot device to unveil more and more. They said this is like a Star Trek reboot so I'd imagine all the characters will be reused over time. No idea why some of you are raging so hard because a particular deity was not mentioned at launch.

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
they should have the game totally neutral as far as who worships what and then have rally calls (3-4 at a time) that are at the request of gods and the rally call you provide the most resources/help to becomes who you worship etc.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
The thing about EQ lore that made it memorable and engaging is that it was fairly mysterious, and yet completely integrated into the world. Things like Froon & Choon, the chessboard in BB, the huge wizard spires in DL, the wedding in ToFS...they all had lore associated with them if you cared enough to ferret out the mystery. Even if you didn't want to spend the time to, a lot of those things left you wondering about them.

To me, the biggest inhibitor to legit worldbuilding is the lore dump. Be it through cutscene, in-game books, or whatever other device, telling a player why something is the way it is rather than providing the tools for the players to figure it out on their own ruins immersion (though it is much easier and cheaper).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I miss AV until I realize AV games lasted like 7 hours-5 days. But I would take that over baseraces any day. I don't know how it is now but last time I played there was more PvP to be had in Darnassus at 4am than there was in AV.
GD I used to love defending Iceblood Graveyard back in the day, I wish those kinds of battles still went on.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I gotta say that I loved the oldschool AVs as well. Also my whirlwind Shaman at at the time with the Unstoppable Force? Yeah.