EQ Never

fruktan_sl

shitlord
I take it you never played Everquest, the game being brutal was the biggest draw.
EQ1's biggest draw was that it had no competition at the time.

No one plays hardcore games anymore. At least not MMOs because those games need a large playerbase to stay alive.

It would be fun to see a round table poll for death penalty. I got a feeling that spending hours doing a corpse run won't get that many votes.

We played it back then because there was no alternative and everyone we knew thought so too. Period.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist

No one plays hardcore games anymore. At least not MMOs because those games need a large playerbase to stay alive.

It would be fun to see a round table poll for death penalty. I got a feeling that spending hours doing a corpse run won't get that many votes.

We played it back then because there was no alternative and everyone we knew thought so too. Period.
I recall they polled people for a progression server years ago, if they wanted the return of corpse runs etc. Classic death penalties were voted down, but the poll was very, very, close.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Haven't read anything on EQnext in a couple a weeks. Anything new released and has the EPA been called to clean up all the oil in Ponytail's hair?

slicedmass_sl

shitlord
At this point for me the combat needs to be extremely "player skill" based or im not interested at all. How they can make such shit decisions is beyond me. I hope this has the opposite effect that Diablo 3 had (at least on me) On paper for the most part D3 was sounding like a really good game, then it came out and after hitting 60/inferno I discovered just how fucken terrible the game was.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I'm not as negative as some people in here but the Round Table videos aren't doing the game any favors. Most of the polls are pretty useless but to put up a poll that's at least a little interesting and then make a video explaining why it is being openly ignored it is kind of shit. A lot, probably even most, decisions need to be made within the studio. It's nice to push the message that this is "our game" but that's mostly going to be player creations in Landmark. Don't put the poll up if you're going to ignore the results or shit, at least give it a few months before saying "nah, you're wrong."

I think I expected every race to be able to be every class so I don't find that offensive in EQN, it's the attitudes I find worrying. They are so concerned for any single player to ever feel the slightest bit disadvantaged that they risk sucking any thrill or risk out of the game and nobody is going to want that. So, at least from a character creation stand point it's going to be more about a character palette swap with a couple of unique racial abilities. I assumed as much already, but if this attitude is pushed on the rest of the game world the whole project is in trouble.

Some people have completely written it off already, which is fine and SOE has certainly helped push a couple of iffy people over the edge into complete "fuck this game" mode. It's still too early for me. We've heard a bunch about the potential, seen very little of the game, and clicked on a few polls. One of my biggest problems is that outside of EQN, there isn't anything else out there that has my interest. Well, outside of Brad McQuaid's new project but we know nothing of it yet and there's certainly reason to be hesitant on that one (but fuck it, I'm still hype).

supertouch_sl

shitlord

Talk about an unfalsifiable claim.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

troll..

I think they are just buying time with EQN at this point.. I expect/hope the polls to get better once EQL drops.. I don't expect EQN to be overly challenging to begin with tho. I still think it will be fun and has some neat ideas. I just wish the direction was a little different. I think that's why Brad was giving Smed's blessing to make a more niche game. SoE can't make us a niche PvE game until the powers to be think there is money in it..

fruktan_sl

shitlord
Talk about an unfalsifiable claim.
I wish some big company would make a hardcore mmo to prove me right.

Or wait, there are already ceveral games with 10 devs and 10 000 players and no money to make it more popular.

If people would put their money where their mouth is and subscribe to these games. Then big investors will be able to invest in hardcore games. And then maybe, maybe we will see something that people in here think* they want to play.

* I actually dont think you miss the hardcore part in everquest. What you miss is being 16 years old and being able to play computer games all night.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Those "hardcore" elements are what make MMOs worth playing. They're what makes a person ignore his surroundings and become totally engrossed. The problem is that "hardcore" games these days are usually amateur hackjobs and not worth playing.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wish some big company would make a hardcore mmo to prove me right.

Or wait, there are already ceveral games with 10 devs and 10 000 players and no money to make it more popular.

If people would put their money where their mouth is and subscribe to these games. Then big investors will be able to invest in hardcore games. And then maybe, maybe we will see something that people in here think* they want to play.

* I actually dont think you miss the hardcore part in everquest. What you miss is being 16 years old and being able to play computer games all night.
everyone's opinion of hardcore varies.. Personally I don't want anything more harsh than EQ in regards to time sink, CRs, travel, etc..

Now what games are you referring to?

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
They are so concerned for any single player to ever feel the slightest bit disadvantaged that they risk sucking any thrill or risk out of the game and nobody is going to want that.
Yep, the pendulum has swung very far in that direction it seems.

Dalnoth_sl

shitlord
They are so concerned for any single player to ever feel the slightest bit disadvantaged that they risk sucking any thrill or risk out of the game and nobody is going to want that.
This is the most accurate description i've seen in a long time. All of Sony's games have definitely turned into equal opportunity gaming where the crowd that doesn't want to put forth the effort is being appealed to with entitlements. There's quite a few things Sony doesn't seem to realize a lot of what made Everquest special or in general what games thrive on. One of those is the pipeline dream to be that guy at the entrance of the EC Tunnel holding their epic. When they turn it into CommunistQuest where everyone is entitled to everything without hardly breaking a sweat then nobody has anything to strive for anymore. There's no allure of the shiny sword, or the ToV colored armor. Aside from that there's no Taboo about anything big or bad. Who here remembers hearing about the plane of fear for the first time and the horror stories of corpse runs and people actually losing corpses for days in there? It's those stories that make legends. You need to create infamy which SoE can not do with this casual appeasement spree they are on. Im not saying you need to lose corpses for days, what I am saying is you need something that not everyone is entitled to do and it has to have a special appeal to it and a big bad boss at the end that everyone talks about. It's a pretty simple formula yet it hasn't been done in any of SoE's games for years now.

At heart the problem is that most of SoE's development team are those people who couldn't get their epics done and that wouldn't get up at 3am to go chase world bosses and that wanted their purple ToV armor without raiding, so now there can't be any of that in their new games because they don't like it. They've already all but said there won't be high end raiding in EQNext, There's no levels and anyone can do anything. They claim they want to make a game thats new and innovative but what they are making is a type of Guildwars 2 with a minecraft attatched to it. If you're looking to play the game for what most of us first fell in love with everquest for you're heading for disappointment.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
What made EQ special was being first. That's it. WoW is special because it's better. Better than what? EverQuest and every other dikumud then and since. Action RPGs are probably the future, but being first doesn't count when the market is awash in average dikumud successors. For action RPGs to dominate they have to actually be better, and they're not.

I haven't read that there won't be raiding in EQNext. That sounds unlikely and suicidal. In most MMOs endgame IS the game, and whatever precedes it is a tutorial. Without an endgame they have to make the environment a consistent draw ala Farmvilla/dailies/pokemon/pvp/etc.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
What made EQ special was being first. That's it. WoW is special because it's better. Better than what? EverQuest and every other dikumud then and since. Action RPGs are probably the future, but being first doesn't count when the market is awash in average dikumud successors. For action RPGs to dominate they have to actually be better, and they're not.

I haven't read that there won't be raiding in EQNext. That sounds unlikely and suicidal. In most MMOs endgame IS the game, and whatever precedes it is a tutorial. Without an endgame they have to make the environment a consistent draw ala Farmvilla/dailies/pokemon/pvp/etc.
How the fuck is WoW better? Because it's colorful and has NPCs with exclamation points hovering over their heads?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Well clearly! If EQ used more colors and added exclamation points it would jump to 12 million users for a few years. Those guys at SOE are even more stupid than they seem.

tad10

Elisha Dushku

Vanilla WoW was better until it wasn't. And yes, they said no EQ style raiding, but there will be multi-group content (example of Crushbone with 100's or 1,000's of Orcs depending on who was asked). Instanced raiding sounds like it'll be DCUO style - maybe 12 peeps if we're lucky.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
You need to work on your ability to reason. WoW's population doesn't mean it was better. You're completely ignoring the circumstances surrounding both games.