EQ Never

Silence_sl

shitlord
Looking at the EQ2 thread reminds me how much of a disaster it has been under Polesmokejumper's reign. EQN/L are going to be dismal failures. Speaking of dismal failures, did someone say Moorguard is back at SOE?

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Looking at the EQ2 thread reminds me how much of a disaster it has been under Polesmokejumper's reign. EQN/L are going to be dismal failures. Speaking of dismal failures, did someone say Moorguard is back at SOE?
Yep; he's the lead lore guy for EQN.

Here's the odd thing about Smokejumper: going by the individual dev responses to the roundtable stuff, he's the one who seems to be on our side; he's the one who wants consequences, and for it all to feel like a cohesive world. Butler's the one whose influence is worrying, who's always going on about "denial of service", and who wants nothing of substance if it'll at all inconvenience anyone.

It's an odd reversal from everyone's opinions regarding the dev team prior to SOE Live.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
Butler's the one whose influence is worrying, who's always going on about "denial of service", and who wants nothing of substance if it'll at all inconvenience anyone.
I love how people keep using this quote out of context. It's hilarious.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The quote was bothersome but to be fair it's just way too early to tell how EQN will turn out. If it's fun and "new" they can get way with a lot more on the accessibility side.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
How is it out of context? Did you actually watch the panel?
It's used out of context because the contextit was inwas regarding the literal ability of new players to not be able to see the game world during EQ1 nights.

You touch upon a really interesting subject, and that's the pitch darkness of the original EverQuest game. I can tell you straight away that that sort of thing - the pitch darkness - is a bit of denial of service. People who absolutely couldn't see and couldn't play, couldn't continue. You will not see it in our game. Starting, entering the game, not being able to move around, not being able to see anything , no.

However, the use of darkness to exploit mood, situations, to bring out emotionality and fear... effectively a changing day/night cycle that is absolutely real where you can adventure in the darkness, you can go underground and it is extremely dark, maybe pitch dark in places you go... but not in places that you start. Hugely important to us, the need to carry a torch and a light source, hugely important to us, but not to the level where you are not going to be able to play the game in the areas where you expect to be able to.

We want that big difference. We want that emotionality. Several people have mentioned that darkness contributes to a feeling of adventure. Going underground without a light source - that should be scary. But walking through the forest where you spawn should not necessarily be something that you can't do.

We have a living, breathing world that is going to be created with these games. Things can happen with changes of day and night. NPC's that are out, like merchants, they may only be out during the day just like you'd expect a shop owner to be out during the day. So things can change from day to night based on what's going on in the world.

That's that emergent AI thing again. Shopkeepers don't like night.

Shady merchants might, though?.
See? They don't want new players to log in, not be able to see nearly anything, say "What the fuck" and leave.

It's not about making late game content available for everyone. It's not about taking away difficulty or making every achievement meaningless. It's about not creating some arbitrary wall that noobies literally can't jump over.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Yeah, except no one was actually blind the moment he logged in so it was a stupid claim. Darkness in EQ was a minor obstacle and his quote suggests that anything that inconveniences the player is inherently bad.

Ganthorn

N00b
Yeah, except no one was actually blind the moment he logged in so it was a stupid claim. Darkness in EQ was a minor obstacle and his quote suggests that anything that inconveniences the player is inherently bad.
Apparently you were not a human lol. My mag couldn't see shit before they added in the summoned vision stuff. I literally had my gamma cranked to hell and gone to get through neriak forest.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
Uh, you needed a light source to traverse the land but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the notion that as soon as you logged on you were greeted by a pitch black screen.

Mellent_sl

shitlord
Uh, you needed a light source to traverse the land but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the notion that as soon as you logged on you were greeted by a pitch black screen.
Alright, sure, that was incorrect. I see that.

However, Butler himself did mention "walking through the forest where you spawn," so he's not the one making the claim (I was blowing that up quite a bit).

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The substance of what he was talking about with regards to darkness was fine, but it was a stupid way of phrasing it.

He then used it again on the fast travel roundtable poll, which is frankly where I found it more worrying.

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some of you seem to have forgot how bad tunnel to Q Hills from Surefall Glade was back in the day.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Iirc and thats from my 99 memory when you started out as humans in Freeport you would not spawn in the middle of nowhere but in Freeport near some guards and light sources (torches). So you could see where to go or not. Could even kill some lvl 1 fire beetles there and use fire beetle eyes as natural light source. Or sell rat tails and actually buy a torch at vendors yourself. No clue about Qeynos start though.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Iirc and thats from my 99 memory when you started out as humans in Freeport you would not spawn in the middle of nowhere but in Freeport near some guards and light sources (torches). So you could see where to go or not. Could even kill some lvl 1 fire beetles there and use fire beetle eyes as natural light source. Or sell rat tails and actually buy a torch at vendors yourself. No clue about Qeynos start though.
Never in EQ was an character dumped in the middle of nowhere in the fucking dark. You spawned at your class master right the hell in front of him. Butler's representation of his MMORPG philosophies over the course of the past few months have been... Disturbing to say the least... And don't leave me much hope for EQN.

The mere fact that he used that 'denial of service' term twice in two days, for two different scenarios, makes me think that is a buzz phrase he uses a lot around the office...

surefall glade was plenty lit, and only dark toward the end of the tunnel which zoned you into qeynos hills.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
No clue about Qeynos start though.
You actually never started in complete "Is this thing broken?" pitch darkness. You always started in somewhere lighted. The thing is, until you had a light source, there were starts where you literally couldn't do anything else, except waiting there and maybe having a look around until the sun rose. Barbarians had a tunnel to get out of Halas that was harder to negotiate during night, but doable, then Everfrost was ok during night.

The worst offender, as someone said, was human ranger/druids starting in Surefall Glades. You had nothing in there, and you NEEDED to cross a completely dark tunnel, even during the day, to step into the Qeynos Hills. You literally had to hug the tunnel wall and hope you zoned somewhere at one point.

It is completely different to subject a player to a very bad experience he can't do anything about when he's starting naked with a rusty dagger and requiring him to be prepared before going somewhere.

iannis

Musty Nester
That pitch fucking black night was one of the wonderful things about EQ1. Few games since have had the balls to do something even that simple.

You know what? The playerbase adjusts. It's not a "denial" of service, it's a game/world mechanic. Denial of service were those continuous crashes EQ servers had at the beginning. Entire servers would be 75% offline for more than a week at a time. It's easy to forget about that shit maybe, but you played login-chatroomQuest as often as the game itself.

How many people rolled an erudite and played it for more than 10 minutes before rerolling high elf? Not very fucking many until into Kunark, that's how many. Level 50 erudites were rare... that shit said something about you personally as a player.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
You know what? The playerbase adjusts.
Yes. In those days, you endured, because it was - litterally - the only game in town.

These days? They adjust. They click "uninstall", post some scathing comments on their friends' social network, and go to the next game which doesn't try to punish them for choosing the wrong race 5mn after they began playing.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
I could be wrong but I remember starting an Erudite necro in vanilla EQ and if I wasn't thrust immediately into darkness I was thrust into it pretty quick. In early EQ Erudite Necros had a trainer in the middle of Tox forest. If it was night when you generated your character, it was pretty brutal.

For the record, I don't oppose this type of thing- I have no problem with racial advantages like dark vision actual meaning something by contrast.