EQ Never

Sony doesnt need 10 million or even 2 million subs to make money off EQN. Say what you want about SOE but they do not throw massive amount of cash at games like EA did with TOR. They seem to do a pretty good job at money management during development so they do not start out in such a large hole. Its kinda impressive the amount of old games they still have running and even the few they have shut down ran for a long time with shit sub numbers.

Frankly EQL will probably be the bread and butter if they can lock in to the millions(I think they hit 100 mil registered users this year)minecraft crowd that just wants to build shit. Thats the game that could very well have WoW surpassing numbers and more than pay for the development costs of both games.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Me too I can't wait to grief people with hooks and ground slams knocking them into the crust of the earth.

If I can't blow a hole in the ground, I'll leash an earth elemental to the level 1 area and get him to trigger it.

No worries on dudes double jumping, I'll put up an icewall on the other side that they can't jump over.

Remember that ogre sitting in the bank door?
I can't even imagine PVP with full voxel destruction. Imagine a dedicated "wall" class like an Earth magic User. This Earthromancer's only job is to make pitfalls and walls for his team to block off people. And since its voxels the walls don't disappear they just have to be broken through.

Infact, Sony just released a screenshot of an Erudite Earthromancer.

rrr_img_73411.jpg

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Even though it's really early in development, I got a pretty distinct EQ feel from their Chest-spawning system. 1-2 chests randomly spawn in contested cave areas, every 12 hours or so. Going from cave to cave felt almost like checking spawn camps for monsters. And the chests themselves have random loot tables with a few very unique items that can come from them; sometimes you get crap, sometimes you get the really rare item you were looking for. And, there's only so many items, so you know exactly the name/effect of what you are looking for.

It's not entirely clear how chests spawn, either, which adds an element of mystery that EQ had with spawning. Are plants placeholders for chests? Are there always 2 chests per cave system? One thing you know for sure, is that right after a patch, the caves are gonna be populated with chests.

Just a random observation, but I think it's worth noting that I haven't felt the "rare-spawn" feel in a while, and Landmark did it for me; replace the chests with rare mobs, and you get the same effect.

Furthermore, placement seems mostly random, so you are encouraged to explore and not sit in one spot.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I have no idea how chests work, but stumbling upon them in caves is pretty fun. I just assumed you randomly find them and they'd respawn after looting (based on your description I'm wrong).

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Said it a thousand pages back in this thread, but my wishes towards EQN would still be going back to risk vs reward.

With no risk, comes no attachment to items, which leads to little attachment to the actual characters of achievements of getting them. Risk also leads to community building.

Also need to add interdependency between classes back like EQ had in other things than just crafting or being a DPS. Mages had item summons and later on CoH, enchanters had long term buffs, druids had buffs and ports, wizzies had ports, clerics could rez, necros could find your corpse, and so on....

Bring back a world where the community needs to cooperate to survive it. Where you can solo, at a risk, and where you might need to ask for help if you fail. Where you can fill a role in the game other than in grouping situations being a DPS, Tank or Heal. Where class interdependencies isn't just a crafting related thing anymore of needing multiple crafting classes to create items.

Train to EC tunnel, Slate inc!That statement caused more community interaction than I have seen ... well since. Nowdays you don't even have to interact with people to get groups. Just press a button, get tossed in a group, and that's it. Add some cross server grouping too so that being an ass won't have any consequence for your reputation either.

Quite honestly given up hope any game will ever go away from the whole single player main part game with optional grouping content. Or as I've said before. EQ was a MMOrpg, games today are mmoRPGs. Bring back the MMO part.

Meh...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Said it a thousand pages back in this thread, but my wishes towards EQN would still be going back to risk vs reward.

With no risk, comes no attachment to items, which leads to little attachment to the actual characters of achievements of getting them. Risk also leads to community building.

Also need to add interdependency between classes back like EQ had in other things than just crafting or being a DPS. Mages had item summons and later on CoH, enchanters had long term buffs, druids had buffs and ports, wizzies had ports, clerics could rez, necros could find your corpse, and so on....

Bring back a world where the community needs to cooperate to survive it. Where you can solo, at a risk, and where you might need to ask for help if you fail. Where you can fill a role in the game other than in grouping situations being a DPS, Tank or Heal. Where class interdependencies isn't just a crafting related thing anymore of needing multiple crafting classes to create items.

Train to EC tunnel, Slate inc!That statement caused more community interaction than I have seen ... well since. Nowdays you don't even have to interact with people to get groups. Just press a button, get tossed in a group, and that's it. Add some cross server grouping too so that being an ass won't have any consequence for your reputation either.

Quite honestly given up hope any game will ever go away from the whole single player main part game with optional grouping content. Or as I've said before. EQ was a MMOrpg, games today are mmoRPGs. Bring back the MMO part.

Meh...
Items that last a long time create attachment too, changing your entire gear set multiple times per raid tier is one of the most damaging things to attachment to items.

I don't think you will see the kind of community building stuff like CRs make a come back but I hope you get some more working towards a common goal activities like AQ gate with their PoI story system. The games with good PQ systems had a fairly decent community I think, Rift where you would go out and find the guys doing some raid rifts and join up and play with them for a bit on your own server was fun. The modern mega server thing is pretty damaging to building ties with random people, its tough when you never see someone more than once because there are 100000 other people getting pulled into the queues constantly.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah, I did a bunch of chest-hunting when they first came out, looking for a Belt of the Zephyr, but never found one; since character wipes are happening anyways, it's not really worth spending the time.. but eventually, maybe
I just recently jumped back in the game for the first time since caves were introduced... made the tools, found some chests, zephyr was the first real loot I found. It's pretty fun.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
I just hope they don't over-itemize. One thing I liked about EQ is the unique items exclusive to certain areas. I would say every person who played classic EQ remember each item they were gunning for in addition to where it dropped, the placeholder for that mob, spawn timer, and common vs rare drops. I just don't want any currency based items that are essentially the same just retooled for each specific class. Before getting to class set (plane armor) in EQ, I had to fight for a mithril bracer or Golden Efreeti boots. I'm sure people don't want to waste their day or nights at camps but I had a lot of fun talking to people and seeing people run by or check camps. To me we need some level of simplicity brought back to MMO's.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Recap of classes for people watching who don't want to browse a thousand pages before SOE live.
http://www.tentonhammer.com/everquest-next/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-classes

#1 - There are eight starting classes.
The Warrior and Wizard were shown in the EQN reveal. It?s possible there are two classes from each familiar archetype: warrior, healer, rogue, and mage. (That is, of course, only speculation at this point.) More starting classes will be revealed over time. Other classes SOE has mentioned include the Rogue, Blademaster, and Tempest, but we?re not certain which are starting classes, or among the additional classes available through multi-classing. Which leads us to...

#2 - Think of classes as ?collectible.?
There are about 40 classes out in Norrath for you to find, and the game features unlimited multi-classing. In an interview with Ten Ton Hammer?s Sardu, Creative Director Jeff Butler said that players should look at EQNext?s class advancement system ?more from a collectible standpoint? than the EQ franchise?s previous class advancement system, where you played a static class and customized it with Alternate Advancement. You can save multiple build loadouts and name them whatever you?d like. There?s no limit to the number of classes you can collect, but Lead Game Designer Darrin McPherson has revealed that some of your choices as a character may affect your access to classes. (For instance, you have to be a good person to be a paladin.)

#3 - Classes are advanced individually.
According to Darrin McPherson during the class panel at SOE Live, ?Every class is advanced individually, so you might have a tier 4 warrior, a tier 2 wizard, and a tier 1 rogue. You can choose who you play at any time, swapping between them out of combat.? While there are no levels in EQ Next, there do appear to be tiers of some sort. We?re still waiting for more information on this system.

#4 - EQN isn?t a skill-based game.
In the same class panel, McPherson said: ?Any progression you earn while playing, let?s say, your warrior, can be applied to any class you possess. You don?t have to just be your warrior to advance your warrior--this isn?t a skill-based game.? This means that if one of the classes in your repertoire fits better into your group?s dynamic at any given time, but you want to advance a different class, you can do that while still playing the class best suited for your group situation.

#5 - Each class has two weapons.
Each class can wield two weapons, and their play style changes up depending on the weapon they?re wielding. This has put some fans in mind of Guild Wars 2, but SOE has consistently said that their system is different, and we?ll just have to see it in action to understand how different. Weapons can also be modified with items, but SOE hasn?t spilled many details on this yet. [UPDATE: Darrin McPherson has clarified for us that each class has two weapon sets, and only two sets. "This allows personalized animation and effects and focus on gameplay," he said.]

#6 - As always, your character class determines the type of armor you wear.
Even so, Jeff Butler mentioned during the class panel that the look of your armor can be changed. Want your female warrior to be wearing heavy plate with full coverage? That?s doable. Would you prefer a more sexy appearance? You can do that, too. Again, we don?t have many details on how this works just yet.

#7 - There?s no holy trinity.
The holy trinity of Tank/Healer/DPS has been done away with in EQN. ?Our combat mechanics don?t support the use of dedicated healers and focused tanks,? said Darrin McPherson. ?It just doesn?t work.? SOE doesn?t want groups to feel stuck and unable to play because the group happens to be missing a necessary ingredient such as a tank or healer.

#8 - Experienced players should recognize classes by their ?flavor.?
Each class will have a certain identity that other players can recognize. The warrior should come across as a bull-in-a-China-shop wrecking ball. His animations and poses will differ from other plate-wearing classes wielding the same weapons, giving him a unique ?visual silhouette.? These identifying characteristics will help players recognize NPC classes, as well.

#9 - There?s an ?economy of class customization.?
Your class will have 4 weapon abilities (per weapon, for a total of 8) and 4 character abilities. Weapon abilities are iconic, class-defining abilities. Character abilities come in four types: movement, offensive, defensive and utility. Multi-classing comes into play with the character abilities--they?re the ones you can switch out to change up your build for the specific class. You might, for instance, make a warrior who can also do magical damage and has great defense against casters.

#10 - Items modify abilities.
Your items plus your abilities equals your class build. We?ve learned that itemization plays a big role in EverQuest Next, but further details on the mechanics of this system have yet to be revealed.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
http://www.tentonhammer.com/everquest-next/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-eq-next

#1 - This is not EverQuest 3.
There's a reason that EverQuest Next is not named EverQuest 3 -- it was specifically designed to use EverQuest's rich lore, classes and history in an entirely new way. SOE didn't just put a different spin on the tired mechanics we've seen in MMORPGs for the past 15 years, it got rid of some entirely, tossed the rest in a blender with some completely fresh ingredients, and whipped up a radically different and delicious MMO margarita. We're going to be drinking this stuff for years to come. Drink responsibly, people; this is the EverCrack for the new paradigm.

For some classic EQ and EQ2 players, the response to EQ Next might be less, "Shut up and take my money" and more "Shove it where it ain't sunny," but you can't please everyone. And I'm betting on the likelihood of all but the most curmudgeonly of the curmudgeons being won over eventually.

#2 - Two games are better than one!
One new game is awesome, but two new games? That's mind blowing. And that's what you'll be getting next from the EverQuest franchise. A few months back, SOE president John Smedley teased EQ fans by saying that they'd get to see what the team was working on "later this year, and I don't mean beta." What he was referring to was EverQuest Next Landmark. Although we don't have a definite launch date yet, we know that SOE plans to launch Landmark this winter.

What is Landmark? EQHammer has a detailed article. Basically, think Minecraft on meth. (Have I made too many drug analogies? I swear to the gods that I barely even drink.) SOE decided to take the suite of tools that they're using in-house to terraform EQNext and put them in the hands of players. What's cool is that the tools are incredibly powerful without the mind-bending complexity that normally comes with 3D modeling. Players will be able to create a character, go out into the world, explore the landscape, discover materials and crafting recipes, stake a claim and then start building. SOE plans to have certain areas where they will strictly enforce the art direction and invite players to actually participate in the building of Norrath by creating and submitting their designs. Take a look at the power of Landmark's toolset in action.

On top of all this, through SOE's Player Studio feature, builders can create assets to sell to other players on the marketplace for real cash. You might create an awesome tower, for instance, that you package up for the Player Studio marketplace. Imagine that someone else purchases your tower (you get some cash for that), and then uses it to create an awesome castle that he, in turn, puts up on the marketplace. Every time someone purchases his castle, you'll get some royalties. Cha-ching!

#3 - Say goodbye to static classes and hello to multi-classing.
EverQuest Next will launch with 8 starting classes, and each class will have a couple of weapons from which players can choose, along with a handful of character abilities. Through exploration and adventuring, you'll come across opportunities to pick up new classes. There are more than 40 classes out in Norrath for you to find. In an interview with Ten Ton Hammer's Sardu, Creative Director Jeff Butler said that players should look at EQNext's class advancement system "more from a collectible standpoint" than the EQ franchise's previous class advancement system, where you played a static class and customized it with Alternate Advancement. He pointed out that if a player wanted to play a pure class, and not get involved in multi-classing at all, they could do that and fully enjoy the experience. He described multi-classing as optional, but never required. We have lots more questions about classes, so keep an eye peeled on EQHammer for more interviews from SOE Live coming soon.

#4 - There are no levels.
EQNext is a great big sandbox with multi-classing and abilities and weapons galore, but no little blue (or gold) bubbles serving as dangling carrots. Presumably, there are other more tasty carrots to be discovered. We'll let you know when we know more about progression.

#5 - Your weapons matter.
Similar to Guild Wars 2, your character's abilities will change depending on what weapon you're holding. "They're one of the class-defining things in the game," said EQ franchise Director of Development, Dave Georgeson, during the EverQuest Next world debut. So, not only are there 40-plus classes to mix and match from, but each class will have a couple of weapons that allow players to change up their character's play style.

#6 - You can blow shit up.
"We wanted you to be able to blow up anything, anytime, anywhere," said Georgeson. The world is made out of tiny bits called voxels (the same bits you'll be manipulating when you're building with Landmark.) And what can be built... can also be destroyed. This plays out in some cool ways in game. Not only can players dig for building and crafting materials or knock down walls, they can destroy objects strategically in combat. Are there dozens of kobolds charging toward you across a bridge? No problem; destroy that sucker and watch them plummet to their doom. But don't worry, the world eventually heals after you've torn it apart, and only some changes (namely the ones SOE wants to happen) are permanent. Here's a glimpse of the destructibility in action.

#7 - Norrath is like an onion -- it has layers.
What you see on the surface of Norrath is just the beginning. There are layers of depth for players to uncover and explore, thanks to the destructible world. "You don't have to wait for us to reveal [the world] to you," says Georgeson, "You can just grab a pick and start making a tunnel." As you explore through these layers, you'll trigger events or quest opportunities and even, occasionally, earthquakes. What is destroyed can be recreated in new ways, so that the world is constantly changing and players are constantly finding new content, not waiting on some expansion pack to open up a new area. Underground caverns, magma chambers... it's all there waiting to be discovered.

#8 - The AI is watching you.
EverQuest Next has what SOE is calling "emergent AI." Thanks to their collaboration with Storybricks, NPCs in EQNext will react to your behavior in game, as well as the behaviors of other players.

"As you play this game, you're going to be making decisions," says Georgeson. "And those decisions will have consequences. What that means is the game is remembering everything you did, and it's reacting. The different NPCs, what quest opportunities are available, all those things are reacting to you based on what you have done."

Imagine the Crushbone orcs. They're mean, greedy, and they dislike cities where they're likely to get their asses handed to them by guards and groups of adventurers. They do like lonely stretches of road where they can jump a lone traveler, beat him up, and steal his stuff. Instead of setting up a static spawn camp that will burp out a new group of orcs a few minutes after the last group was killed, EverQuest Next will drop orcs into the world at large and let them do their thing based on their wants and needs. Perhaps the orcs will search out that lonely stretch of road and set up camp. But should that road become less hospitable -- should players alert the guards or begin harassing the orcs -- they might pull up stakes and move on. This means that the world is constantly changing, even in relatively small ways, as a result of player activity.

#9 - You can change the world. Permanently.
Through a mechanism called Rallying Calls, EQNext players can actually affect much larger, permanent change on the world of Norrath. Here's an example:

Let's say adventurers have been given a directive from the Combine Accord asking them to go out into the world and rebuild the city of Halas. (Yep, certain beloved cities won't exist in EQNext until you band with other adventurers to raise them up.) The Rallying Call invites everyone in the game to join in the process (although you can ignore it at your whim if that's how you roll), and it can take up to a couple of months of real time for the task to be accomplished. But players won't know what events will trigger the story to move forward; they'll need to discover them on their own. This means that progress on any Rallying Call will look different on every server.

During a Rallying Call, players might find themselves doing things like gathering resource materials, or venturing out to explore the nearby areas and pacify any threats. Let's say that, during your attempts to tamp down the local goblin threat, you piss off the goblins and they begin burning down your outlying villages. (Whoops!) The next stage of the event might have you building stone walls to keep those pyromaniac bastards from incinerating your town. And you may also have raised the ire of the goblin king, who might go out and make some allies and raise an army to siege your keep, the final stage in the Rallying Call. This will open up even more new quest opportunities such as defending the walls, destroying catapults, or thwarting saboteurs. Eventually, the player community will defeat the threat, and a new Rallying Call will roll out somewhere else in the world. Halas will have become a permanent structure... unless SOE should see fit to destroy it again sometime in the future.

The world will be changing so much as you play that it will be virtually impossible to recreate your gameplay experiences should you roll a new alt. When friends join you on your server months after launch, you'll be able to say things like, "Back in my day, Halas didn't even exist!"

#10 - SOE is serious about an "open development process."
Through a program they're calling Round Table, SOE intends to engage the community and involve them in the process of building EverQuest Next. They absolutely want to hear what players want from the game, and they're listening to ideas and criticisms. Rather than keeping their development process top secret, they'll be asking for your input, so go participate.

According to the official EverQuest Next site, "Landmark is scheduled to launch this winter and EverQuest Next is still in the early stages of development with no announcement date set." Although you'll be applying for beta in both games, we're going to go ahead and assume that folks will be getting into Landmark first. And, since it's scheduled to release this winter, that beta should be happening soonish. So, go ahead and apply for the EverQuest Next beta, then cross your fingers and wait for that invite.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
Now, with all that said, what has SOE seriously released in the last ten years that has amounted to anything?

I really hope I'm way off the mark here but I can't help but feel this game is going to be such an over-hyped pile of shite.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Now, with all that said, what has SOE seriously released in the last ten years that has amounted to anything?

I really hope I'm way off the mark here but I can't help but feel this game is going to be such an over-hyped pile of shite.
You may not like any of it but Planetside 2 is a huge success for them as well as Landmark. Games like EQ and EQ2 are still profitable till this day so i'm not sure what you mean by "amounted to anything"

I guess if you think a game needs to have 10 million active subs to be "something" then you're right.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Planetside 2 is pretty fantastic. It's like space battlefield x100. It has a fairly decent community as well, and plenty of dev support.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I wonder how successful Planetside 2 is from how large its budget was (and is) versus how much it had made and brings in today.

I like PS2 a lot, but the crowd seems small. Maybe the budget wasn't that big to begin with though.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I wonder how successful Planetside 2 is from how large its budget was (and is) versus how much it had made and brings in today.

I like PS2 a lot, but the crowd seems small. Maybe the budget wasn't that big to begin with though.
I have no doubt that the game is pulling in serious cash, I think since they are using the Planetside engine to make like 5 games PS2,EQN,Landmark,H1Z1,Unannounced game that they are focusing more on the big picture of having an easy to adapt in house engine that they can make a portfolio of games for everyone.

Vitality

HUSTLE

The PS2 crowd was a lot bigger at launch, but a running trend of performance issues and balance changes drove most of the larger outfits out of the game. Shotguns, Scat-MAXes, Air dominance, lack of any cont locks, multi entrance base design were all major issues. Unfortunately once a game soils the trust of their player base it's hard to get it back.

Hopefully EQN doesn't go this route, or they'll be selling out the IP.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
SoE knows how to rake in money from people through its cash shop without a doubt. Fuck im sure i gave them more than any other mmo in since i started gaming.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't think EQN will be at all like most people have mentioned for the last few pages(and earlier). It will be very similar to a MOBA and there won't be a lot of unique loot that just drops off one mob. I don't think they want to encourage camping, twinking or any of those other archaic systems we haven't seen for a long time. Honestly, a short sword should be a short sword until later. They should all allow the same abilities until you get one that can help YOU evolve your class mix or playing style. I want variance which EQ never had.

People have equated their character to a few pieces of loot for far too long. I want to see what kind of characters are made, not who got lucky with the die roll. It's what you make of yourself not camping one spot for longer than anyone else. Twinking had far more negatives than positives as well. Sure, some high levels sometimes helped out others...or didn't. Every game now has a form of mentoring and this game doesn't have levels anyways.
If you want to help someone, then go help someone. If you have random chest drops in random areas, it helps exploration just as much or more than unique loot. If you don't have levels, you don't need a lot of what the original system was built for. 'Trash' mobs may still be tough and content might stay harder.

Just like Quaid, I look forward to MOBA elements. I want to see how others evolve their character as they get more classes. I want to see how this changes what can be done. I want that kind of combat.