EQ Never

Rescorla_sl

shitlord
Anyone saying they could train orcs to a guard over and over really doesn't understand how StoryBricks is meant to work. Once you wipe out an orc camp, that camp is gone forever. It's not going to respawn in the same spot. Orcs are going to respawn elsewhere and look for a new, low traffic area to establish another camp. That guard also probably isn't going to take scalps forever, eventually his motivations should change. Once orcs are no longer a threat to the village, he should update to have you go after whatever the current threat is. Things being dynamic like that is the entire reason anyone ever got excited for SB in the first place.
Using your example, you wipe out an orc camp and then move on to go do something else in another part of the zone. I login 15 minutes later and go to the spot where the Orc camp that you wiped out used to be. What can I expect to find there?

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
I'm curious how all of this is conveyed to the user, though; does loving peasant and loving guard have some sort of indicator to separate them from the orderly guard?

Aside from them maybe being in close proximity to one another, how does it not just look like a ton of NPCs walking around and starting fights? I guess if you attack the guard, maybe the peasant woman would join in too?

Would be funny if we had people around the village /saying "I love you Soandso.", "I love you, too, Soandsa". This specific example also brings up an interesting topic.. can NPCs "love" (greatly like/desire) non-humanoid things. Like a troll who loves chickens, or a halfling that loves pies.

Vitality

HUSTLE
I can't wait to see an orc Berserker say that he loves another orc Berserker, I'd call the zone Gaybone for the rest of the time I play this game.

No Disrespect intended, the randomization of personalities has to have this happen!

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
I'm curious how all of this is conveyed to the user, though; does loving peasant and loving guard have some sort of indicator to separate them from the orderly guard?

Aside from them maybe being in close proximity to one another, how does it not just look like a ton of NPCs walking around and starting fights? I guess if you attack the guard, maybe the peasant woman would join in too?

Would be funny if we had people around the village /saying "I love you Soandso.", "I love you, too, Soandsa". This specific example also brings up an interesting topic.. can NPCs "love" (greatly like/desire) non-humanoid things. Like a troll who loves chickens, or a halfling that loves pies.
I would assume it would be verbal queues like canned dialogue.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
Don't underestimate my sploits, If npcs located near an "Orc Region" will likely have "Hates Orcs" I don't need to re-train the same guard lol.. I'll move onto the next set of npcs who haven't triggered their hates orc dialogue yet specifically located at the next spawn of orcs down the chain.

Density matters, I get it, I also know how to manipulate density.

Triggered quests are exploit 101 rofl.

The only thing that really stops this is flagging a character as having already completed a particular interaction. And at that point, this entire system becomes some kind of non-descript "Daily quest" game.
I don't see a problem as long as your actions are weighted correctly by the AI - endanger the watchtower by training it and go KoS and become disliked by other NPCs as the reputation spreads. The challenge in this regard is weighting pro and con for you so its an actual player choice and not a no-brainer. If factions and story bricks matter and big choices are hard or I possible to reverse you won't slaughter innocents for the lulz because there are consequences you don't want to happen.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Here's an example in how it will go down using the information I was given.

Your group rolls up into Crushbone and in front of you is a group of 4 orcs.

In addition to normal NPC AI scripting like assisting and Agro and such they will also include storybricks.

Every Orc in Crushbone has set traits thatALWAYSinclude these (made up) bricks

*Crushbone Faction (Attacks anyone with low Crushbone Faction)
*Enmity towards: High Elves (Elvish characters generate 25% more hate)
*Loves Money (The character on the mobs hate list with the most money him generates 25% more hate)

They also have a few random traits as well, These traits are unknown to the player and can change every time the Orc re-spawns.

Orc 1
He is an Orc warrior and this time he spawned with a 2-handed sword this will give him 4 abilities unique to a -2handed wielding warrior.
Hidden Traits:
  1. Hates Clerics (Hate is strong than Enmity and Clerics generate 50% more agro.
  2. Kinship: Dark Elves (Dark Elves Generate 25% less agro)

Orc 2
He is also an Orc Warrior but he spawns with a sword and a shield giving him a completely different move-set than his companion.
Hidden Traits:
  1. Cowardly (Runs when agro'd to attempt to flee the group and look for help)
  2. Devout (Players who follow the same god as him are non-KOS, Players who follow an opposing god generate 25% more agro)

Orc 3
Orc 3 is a Shaman he wields a cudgel and since you are smart EQ players you know that shamans that wield cudgels have more healing magic than spear weilding shamans.
Hidden Trains
  1. Afraid of: Fire (Fire spells have a built in fear component)
  2. Care Giver (Will have an increased desire to heal friendly NPCS)

Orc 4
Orc 4 is a Berzerker and he wields a pair of axes, You know that axes move sets usually cause a lot of bleed damage in the form of DOTS you prepare accordingly.
Hidden Traits
  1. Prideful: The first player to attack the NPC will be the only player the Orc will attack until one of them is dead)
  2. Frenzied: Likes to use AE attacks like whirlwind and swipe as opposed to single target attacks)

So here's how it plays out.

You have a Dark Elf Warrior, a High Elf Cleric, A Gnome Rogue, Human Wizard and a Wood Elf Ranger.

Warrior pulls Orc 1 with a arrow 3 of the 4 rush and and Orc 2 runs in the opposite direction saying"I didn't sign up for this HELP", Panicking the ranger casts an AE snare on the group slowing down the runner but triggering Orc 3's Prideful trait The orc shouts"You dare challenge ME?!". The cleric seeing his warrior take damage casts greater heal on the warrior triggering both Elvish Enmity and Hates Cleric so Orc 1 is GLUED to the cleric now, Orc 1 says"Clerics like you will pay!"

The Dark Elf Wizard and Rogue focus down the runner while the ranger kites around the berzerker and warrior knowing Orc hates the cleric pop's a huge agro cool-down to try pull the mob off. The rogue seeing the shaman casting a heal blinds him but watches out not to over agro because he has been pick pocketing all day and is filled with platinum.

Our Poor cleric can't shake the agro and since he didn't socket Divine shield dies before the warrior can pull agro off since he is a Dark Elf and can't generate enough threat. Once the cleric is dead he turns his attention to the warrior and is destroyed by the ranger and warrior.

The wizard looking to make short work of the Orc Shaman launches a giant fireball at him triggering his fear of fire causing him to scream"FIRE!"and running down the hall into the second orc pack causing a wipe. The only one left is the ranger who ended up kiting the orc berzerker for an hour wondering where his group went.

arallu

Golden Knight of the Realm
*Loves Money (The character on the mobs hate list with the most money him generates 25% more hate)

Quick, give all the loot to the Tank to hold!

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
They better bring something cool this year or I'm gonna be all kinds of bumpained.
Agree...they tend to suck when it comes to new game info. (Sometimes it seems they act like they don't even want to have a convention..but feel like they have to.)

Randin

Trakanon Raider
The twitch stream for the opening presentation should be starting now-ish. We'll see if they show anything tonight.