EQ Never

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Each base class having it's own health amount could still be a thing; I don't see why they would have to make everyone have the same health.

Health definitely moves up/down a lot faster than before, but I could easily see if you're in warrior mode you have 200% base health, and if you're a wizard you have 75% base health. It wasn't really clear how fast or often you can change between classes, but I hope they at least prevent class changing mid-combat.
Being able to change class mid combat would be absurd given what they've said about their class/combat system. There's no way they'll allow that.

If they are smart they will require you do it at a player HUB. Then sell a 'class change anywhere' consumable for sonybucks.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Each base class having it's own health amount could still be a thing; I don't see why they would have to make everyone have the same health.

Health definitely moves up/down a lot faster than before, but I could easily see if you're in warrior mode you have 200% base health, and if you're a wizard you have 75% base health. It wasn't really clear how fast or often you can change between classes, but I hope they at least prevent class changing mid-combat.
What is this fascination with giving spellcasters less health on top of less armor with less defensive abilities to boot. The universe didn't decree "glass cannons in every game for all time!"

Daidraco

I feel like out of 40 classes, you will get your wish of a Warmage-esque type of class. Or a Caster that has an ability that increases Armor by a percentage. I just hope that if the second one comes around, you dont have to recast that shit every 40 seconds, ala Skyrim.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
Being able to change class mid combat would be absurd given what they've said about their class/combat system. There's no way they'll allow that.

If they are smart they will require you do it at a player HUB. Then sell a 'class change anywhere' consumable for sonybucks.
In last years class panel they said they haven't locked down the specifics yet but you won't be able to change abilities/classes in combat.

Personally, I would like change abilties anytime not in combat (oh I see a group of casters let me mem silence) but you need to go to a hub to change from a warrior into a wizard.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
The universe didn't decree "glass cannons in every game for all time!"
Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have those, and perma-stealth complete with sick opening damage, ludicrous amounts of CC and 3 versions of vanish just in case they start to lose =D.

Ok I'm kidding, maybe I'm too jaded from like 10 different MMO releases, where PvP always had that one annoying OP class.

Daidraco

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll have those, and perma-stealth complete with sick opening damage, ludicrous amounts of CC and 3 versions of vanish just in case they start to lose =D.

Ok I'm kidding, maybe I'm too jaded from like 10 different MMO releases, where PvP always had that one annoying OP class.
raw

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

No offense but I think changing your life total every time you change classes in a game with 40 classes is kind of stupid. Armor can do the job of balancing just fine. I've never been a fan of the fragile caster preconception anyways. At least one series I've read has very robust casters because of the stress these energies put on the body. I would love for the body adjustments options to be extremely varied. Can there not be fatter elves or more sculpted Ogres? I don't think they will have that but it would be a step forward. I love the options I've seen from Archeage's character selection so far.

velk

Trakanon Raider
What is this fascination with giving spellcasters less health on top of less armor with less defensive abilities to boot. The universe didn't decree "glass cannons in every game for all time!"
Casters usually get vastly improved defensive abilities - for instance being able to attack from range with no danger of retaliation ;p Along with various forms of crowd control. Giving them that AND equal armor and health would probably be controversial.

Still, I could see a game where spellcasters have equal health/armor, have to be in melee range at all times and have no more disabling abilities than their melee counterparts.

Or you could go with 'fuck the melee, everyone is a spellcaster' approach.

rolx_sl

shitlord
Without this balance paper rock scissors will not exist. Big guy go boom when pew pew hit him.

Malakriss

Without this balance paper rock scissors will not exist. Big guy go boom when pew pew hit him.
I would love to see your list of when spellcasters actually had the "burst" damage to justify this deficiency, in contrast to say RobXIII's callback of what classes really did the pew pew.

Daidraco

I would love to see your list of when spellcasters actually had the "burst" damage to justify this deficiency, in contrast to say RobXIII's callback of what classes really did the pew pew.
Its kind of hard to do a Wizard/mage/whatever that can nuke down an imposing mob quickly in an MMO. Especially when said mob is meant to be "group" content. Not to beat a dead horse, but the last time I saw that was in the Classic Planes in EQ. Three Ice Comets and a Hate mob was usually dead. Turning a 2-3 minute fight into 40 seconds with just one wizard. That is, if you dont have your face plastered across the floor by said mob first.

At least.. this is what I "think" you're talking about.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The short-lived Manaburn squads were a perfect example. (Group of a few wizards with Manaburn all time the nuke at once and instagib raid mobs. Didn't last long before the nerf bat)

The ice comet example with multiple wizards is good too though.

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
The short-lived Manaburn squads were a perfect example. (Group of a few wizards with Manaburn all time the nuke at once and instagib raid mobs. Didn't last long before the nerf bat)

The ice comet example with multiple wizards is good too though.
Also important to remember they were not mana burning anything relevant to the era. And sks could do similar things with HT AAs. Just ring of scale dragons and wuoshi slash lodizal.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Those examples really don't justify that since it is primarily a PVP based fix. As Heallun mentions, the mobs were not era relevant and there were multiple ways a mob could kill a wizard without low HP being needed. There is truly no need to have low health glass cannons outside of a PVP fix. Is it even a need in PVP? Not sure but it's such a common fix that I'm pretty other options haven't been seriously pursued. Even when used, it rarely is successful early in any game.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also important to remember they were not mana burning anything relevant to the era. And sks could do similar things with HT AAs. Just ring of scale dragons and wuoshi slash lodizal.
Not relevant to the era (Luclin), but ST keys and extremely valuable market items were gained, which were still being widely used at the time.

It was an issue enough to warrant endless bitching like this too:
Manaburn

Elidroth_sl

shitlord

You change classes by changing weapons. I doubt the team would make you go to a fixed location to change weapons, but I'm pretty sure it won't be allowed while in-combat.

velk

Trakanon Raider
There is truly no need to have low health glass cannons outside of a PVP fix. Is it even a need in PVP? Not sure but it's such a common fix that I'm pretty other options haven't been seriously pursued. Even when used, it rarely is successful early in any game.
What other options are you thinking of?

Two chars equal damage, one long range, one close range are inherently unbalanced.

Lower health, lower mobility, helpless at close range, lower sustainability are all things that have been used in various places.