EQ Never

Vitality

HUSTLE
I'm desperately hoping EQNext turns out decent. The MMO genre fucking needs it. Its the first western game from a major company to truly diverge from the WoW model. It NEEDS to succeed. If it doesn't, we're doomed to continue the mediocrity we've dealt with for the past god knows how many years. No, it doesn't need to dethrone WoW, but it needs to be a healthy, profitable game that shows the bean counters you can be different and still be successful. I can't stress this point enough, we NEED this going out on a limb to provide dividends. Otherwise, companies are going to be like "If SoE can't do it by leveraging their awesome genre creating IP then we can't do it with our unknown one."
I hope you realize that your cries of desperation are aimed at a game with developers avidly pushing active design choices targeted at a very wide audience.

They're trying to push this IP to a broader more casual target. Purely for business reasons.

For fucks sake butler straight up said "No one plays ugly races, so we're not going to waste our time on that for business reasons"

They don't realize that "Ugly" is what made this IP great.

This game is just general chat copy paste league of legends terarria moon shoes inflatable castle at this point.

I'll join you in cries of desperation when they announce FFA PVP and Player housing destructability and player looting. (topics of which haven't even been farted out of butlers ass-face)

Until then, please for the love of god, don't place a messiah expectation on ponytail and butler. The best those guys have done for the genre are salvaging Planetside 1 and Gaia Online...

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
They changed the Dark Elves because people complained they also changed the Kerrans because people complained, If no one is complaining about Ogres not being goofy is it really a problem?

If the same amount of people that complained about Tony the Tiger Kerrans started expressing a desire for ugly ogres you'd see Jeff Butler back peddle so far on the issue.

You say they give you strict boundaries on what information they take into account and that's only as true as it matches public opinion. If people really want something to change no amount of "design doc" or "vision" is going to stop Papa Smedly from kicking down the door and demanding ugly ogres.

The truth is no game other than EQ has had truly "ugly" races and they never released an "ugly" race past 1999. People are making a big deal out of something very small in my opinion.
Great post. The proof will indeed be in the pudding. Smed backpedals quite well and having an option but never using said option doesn't make SOE any money. They know exactly which races were popular and therefore profitable.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I hope you realize that your cries of desperation are aimed at a game with developers avidly pushing active design choices targeted at a very wide audience.

They're trying to push this IP to a broader more casual target. Purely for business reasons.

For fucks sake butler straight up said "No one plays ugly races, so we're not going to waste our time on that for business reasons"

They don't realize that "Ugly" is what made this IP great.

This game is just general chat copy paste league of legends terarria moon shoes inflatable castle at this point.

I'll join you in cries of desperation when they announce FFA PVP and Player housing destructability and player looting. (topics of which haven't even been farted out of butlers ass-face)

Until then, please for the love of god, don't place a messiah expectation on ponytail and butler. The best those guys have done for the genre are salvaging Planetside 1 and Gaia Online...
I don't think its fair to say I'm placing "messiah expectations" on EQNext. But my point stands that this is likely the last game we'll see for quite some time to break the WoW mold if it is a giant fucking flop. I am desperate for this game to not blow chunks, nothing beyond that. It just needs to see at least mediocre success. I say this because I want more development houses, including Blizzard, to try for something outside of the current mold we're stuck in. I want to see the MMO genre evolve and become a place where there's more than a handful of WoW clones and WoW to choose from as games with decent population. I think EQNext has a decent chance at that, as well, for many of the reasons you stated. Hell, if PvP feels like dota or LoL then thats likely a wonderful thing (I don't personally play them, but the popularity is there for a reason). If PvE can capture that magic point between twitchy and strategic I'll fucking take a load of ponytail cum in my mouth. I doubt seriously if it'll be the game for me from some of the decisions they've made but it sounds like its got a decent chance at success.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
With Titan (and WoD /lol ) getting canned, are there even any non-asian MMOs in the making except for this?

Wage

Molten Core Raider
Nothing that I am aware of from a major studio, but I am waiting cautiously to see how both Camelot Unchained and Eternal Crusade develop.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I wanted to hate but I actually kinda like the look and theme of EQN Ogre. Mixed feels. Definitely looks better than the early EQN concept.

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Its kind of an improvement, they plumped em up a bit. But still...

rrr_img_79942.jpg

Quaid

Trump's Staff
They are making it real hard on me as far as race selection goes. Their Ogre and Iksar concept art looks fucking amazing.

Fuck me, I can't wait to run around Norrath again.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Jesus fucking Christ Merlin
Sorry bro. A garbage game with garbage graphics. I have no idea what your so excited about. EQN is a cross between GW2 and WOW. Sony is trying to do this "shotgun" style and make every 14 year old in the world happy. What exactly is so fucking terrific about what you have seen and heard so far?

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I feel like the builds people are putting out are getting better with each workshop, but I think it has a lot to do with available textures. I don't think the dark elf builds worked very well with what's available, but I'm already seeing some really nice ogre structures.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Sorry bro. A garbage game with garbage graphics. I have no idea what your so excited about. EQN is a cross between GW2 and WOW. Sony is trying to do this "shotgun" style and make every 14 year old in the world happy. What exactly is so fucking terrific about what you have seen and heard so far?
Honestly man, I have zero desire to convince you otherwise.

I don't know if EQN will live up to the hype or not. One thing I do know though, is it will be better without you playing it.