EQ Never

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Wait you are fine with instant travel, but didn't like PoK, which was nothing more then portals to the major cities and a few odd places, but still left you running a lot.
Don't get me wrong; I would prefer real-world movement (horse, boat, carriage, whatever) any day, but if they're insisting that there must be fast travel then it needs restrictions. Those being that a) you've visited those places previously (didn't apply to PoK, IIRC), b) there is a cost and cooldown associated with travel, and c) it's not centralized like PoK was. Why? Because you're forcing players to be there, whether they like it or not. They made one of the most boring places in the game (that had no feel for the original world) the place that had everything. The most efficient path is where your playerbase is going to be; I don't care if PoK was "optional" or not.

Wage

Molten Core Raider
They say digging will provide procedurally generated content (random encounters) I'm actually looking forward to seeing this in an MMO setting as it's one of my more favorite online game models (from Path of Exile)
Maybe I am missing something, but what does the hole digging aspect add vs just finding procedurally generated caves/crypts/dungeons/whatever in the world? Well, outside of everyone's dream of roleplaying as Shia LaBeouf in HolesQuest Next.

Spoonz_sl

shitlord
I would assume that you miss out in content.It sounds kinda like refusing to leave a continent... Duh, you wont see everything the game has to offer then.
That's my point though. I just want to explore the overworld. It seems like it would be much more varied in appearance than an underground area, which I imagine would be nothing but rocks and gems and lava.

And I'm sure a lot of people won't see everything the game has to offer anyway.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
That's my point though. I just want to explore the overworld. It seems like it would be much more varied in appearance than an underground area, which I imagine would be nothing but rocks and gems and lava.

What is your point, exactly? That drawing an arbitrary line between content you deem interesting and content you skip leaves you with less content? I am not sure what you expect short of them throwing away their entire concept because you just want to explore the overworld but also not miss out.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I don't understand. So just explore the overworld? You have the knowledge now, well before release, that they are doing a fair bit of focus on underground content and that you can decide if its still worth it to buy before release. It's no different then someone not wanting to do raiding, pvp or any number of different types of contents MMOs have these days. Sure you are going to miss stuff, welcome to having a consequence to your choice.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
Please keep in mind how vast a world they are planning. Walking the entire continent would be like walking across the state of Rhode Island (a 45 minute car ride). And that is just surface area.

Laerazi_sl

shitlord
Also, I could see their underground dungeon tech evolving enough to see them making randomly generated keeps, towers, ruins, etc.

Random pic of new FV (and most likely Elf model for EQN)
1500x500

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So you travel there once and you never again need a port. Sigh............
How is that different from the "you need to get to the fly path and enable the gryphon master"? Except for the boring flight over a landscape you've already seen dozen times.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Also, I could see their underground dungeon tech evolving enough to see them making randomly generated keeps, towers, ruins, etc.

Random pic of new FV (and most likely Elf model for EQN)
1500x500
That looks awesome as shit. I hope they can actually make the game run decently looking like that.

Wuyley_sl

shitlord
I agree. Aesthetics are always different for each person but I love the "Disney MMO" look they are going for. The same could have been said for the Curt Schilling MMO before it crashed and burned.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
The art and animation style fit really well with the more fluid movement based game they seem to be making.

Vitality

HUSTLE
The art and animation style fit really well with the more fluid movement based game they seem to be making.
I'm not in the same boat as you on this one, animation locking and environmental movement queueing sketches me the hell out. Wonky graphics or not it's about freedom of choice in regards to positioning and ability reaction for me.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Fast travel RUINS immersion.

Any sort of fast travel must be associated with a community aspect.

-Travel on a boat together that is slow as hell.
-Port in a group with a Druid/Wizard
-Spirit of wolf/ Bard Speed buffs

These game designers rustle my jimmies with their idiocy and Care-bear cuddle-fest style.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Fast travel RUINS immersion.

Any sort of fast travel must be associated with a community aspect.

-Travel on a boat together that is slow as hell.
-Port in a group with a Druid/Wizard
-Spirit of wolf/ Bard Speed buffs

These game designers rustle my jimmies with their idiocy and Care-bear cuddle-fest style.
I am so glad that game devs and most players do not agree with this trivial time sink meant to do nothing other than create content by wasting time moving across the same terrain repeatedly.

First time you go from point A to point B interesting. the 30th? yeah not so much. IF you want to get on your high horse and walk from point A to point B 100 times go for it. Asking me to do it because that's your prefered play style is ridiculous.

Siliconemelons

Fast travel debate comes down, really...to if someone is wanting to be in an emulated virtual world or they just want to exp a game content... I drove from home to work once! why should I have to do it again?! Sometimes the travel is the destination.. in EQ before maps where readily available or even accurate, forming your group in FP and traveling to Guk WAS an adventure- let alone the actual dudgeon part... you would think with the amount of "real life" content the EQN claims to have, a journey from City to Cave would rarely be the same...

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Most sandbox games limit fast travel because it impacts territory control so much. People coming from diku games never like it because the nature of travel os so different in the two game types due to the structure of the game worlds.

Wow is one of the examples of travel compromise especially in the early era. Gryphon instead of instant port so the world doesn't feel small, social travel with mages, gadget travel, and a hearth.

Darkfall uw also has a good travel system for a sandbox game. Kinda like what eqn might end up with where you visit spires to travel to other spires but they are spread out like eq1s ports so it cuts down on travel but its not like ESO where you can warp directly to final destination at will. They also had runestones you could mark for one use and bank to travel to a specific location and portal shards you could use to summon a friend directly to you. Overall one of the most well thought out travel systems I have seen.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
The journey through dangerous lands to your destination is fun. End of discussion.

Explain to me why you want to instantly be transported across the continent. It is just sheer laziness that ruins immersion.

Dragoon_sl

shitlord
Fast travel debate comes down, really...to if someone is wanting to be in an emulated virtual world or they just want to exp a game content... I drove from home to work once! why should I have to do it again?! Sometimes the travel is the destination.. in EQ before maps where readily available or even accurate, forming your group in FP and traveling to Guk WAS an adventure- let alone the actual dudgeon part... you would think with the amount of "real life" content the EQN claims to have, a journey from City to Cave would rarely be the same...
Well said.

Greyform

Bronze Knight of the Realm
just maybe one of the dumbest things posted in this forum. Yes driving from home to work is an option, the rest of us just jump in our teleporters and beam there.
The journey through dangerous lands to your destination is fun. End of discussion.

Explain to me why you want to instantly be transported across the continent. It is just sheer laziness that ruins immersion.
Explain to me how I move across a games terrain matters to you so much? It doesn't ruin my immersion, maybe because I never lose sight of the fact I am playing a fucking game...

Vitality

HUSTLE

Name one game real quick for me that didn't have some sort of travel shortcut like bind gating, porting or waypoints/gryphons.