EQ Never

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
but I'm sure we all remembered times when hunting one down felt like more work than just running.
And sometimes stupid. I remember someone in EC asking for a port to South Ro. For like 20mn, by which people were saying him "you know, if you just ran there, you'd have arrived a long time ago".

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
In a sandbox game I'm all for slow travel. Despite what SOE keeps saying I'm not sure this game is supposed to be one, though. If they follow through with a huge world and sandbox gameplay a good solution would be giving players the ability to create wizard spires that you can port to with the spire stone crafting thingie. Give the playermade spire a high initial cost and some upkeep so you dont have one every ten steps a year later. That way the mainstream spots will have their fast travel but you still have remote regions, and whenever someone bitches about slow travel you can tell them to build a spire in that area while they're there.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
In the new simcity they have regions where people can place cities, and regions can have one or two great works sites which you can't place cities at, but can work toward collectively to develop a project which benefits the entire region. So they could do something like that, so that not only could you decide to build the spires, but you couldn't build something else of similar power. It could just be a radius around "wonders" or something around which no other wonders can be developed, rather than having a bunch of regions established.

Alternatively you could have it so that you get one spire per continent (e.g. North Ro, Greater Faydark, Dreadlands, Toxxulia Forest, Velious doesn't have one b/c dragons said fuck you). First one built works, the rest absolutely won't.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
In a sandbox game I'm all for slow travel. Despite what SOE keeps saying I'm not sure this game is supposed to be one, though. If they follow through with a huge world and sandbox gameplay a good solution would be giving players the ability to create wizard spires that you can port to with the spire stone crafting thingie. Give the playermade spire a high initial cost and some upkeep so you dont have one every ten steps a year later. That way the mainstream spots will have their fast travel but you still have remote regions, and whenever someone bitches about slow travel you can tell them to build a spire in that area while they're there.
All the people in this thread who seem to hate slower travel hate it because in eq style games you were constantly traveling across the world to get to the different static dungeons that had their unique things. We have no indications eqn will be like that so making the travel in the game fit that sort of world design doesn't make any sense.

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
In the new simcity they have regions where people can place cities, and regions can have one or two great works sites which you can't place cities at, but can work toward collectively to develop a project which benefits the entire region. So they could do something like that, so that not only could you decide to build the spires, but you couldn't build something else of similar power. It could just be a radius around "wonders" or something around which no other wonders can be developed, rather than having a bunch of regions established.

Alternatively you could have it so that you get one spire per continent (e.g. North Ro, Greater Faydark, Dreadlands, Toxxulia Forest, Velious doesn't have one b/c dragons said fuck you). First one built works, the rest absolutely won't.
Would be hilarious to build the spire in the worst spot possible, think of the Antontica spire being on Cyclops island in OOT.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Obviously you couldn't build it in a dungeon area or w/e they're going to call scripted locales if they exist.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I do think it'd be cool if you could travel around purely in the water, using submerged tunnels to stay aquatic to visit places like Kedge and Siren's Grotto. Maybe have some underwater current superhighway like in Finding Nemo. Build your plot underwater, etc. I'm thinking of that city on Naboo in Phantom Menace and the cool water vehicle they used to cross the planet underwater.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Sirens was a cool dungeon because it was water themed but not actually underwater for the most part. Truly underwater dungeons are never popular it seems because of the movement restrictions, whether thats kedge keep or pow.

I highly doubt oceans will be a big aspect of the initial release but I do hope they eventually add them with tons of small islands, objectives, and deep sea fishing ala darkfall/archeage. That kinda stuff is one reason I hate the unrestricted GW2 style fast travel in some games, it makes those huge worlds feel small.

Merlin_sl

shitlord
Nope. In the very back of kedge keep. I hope you brought your EB item :3
Skyfire was terrible. Everytime someone wanted a port there I would dread it. They always paid well, but porting there was like prepping for a raid. Get buffed up, everyone on your guard because the minute you zoned in, there was a 70% chance you were going to get aggro before you could even see anything.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The biggest problem with the travel woes is xpac inflation. A well designed original release continent or two may be well balanced and with a good community, ok to deal with slow travel with one or two port classes. However, 3 or 4 years down the line when you have endless unpopulated zones, it's just tedious. This was absolutely the case for EQ pre-PoP. I have no clue if the world design of EQN will suffer the same issues. Character levels and appropriate zones with mobs within level range often dictated its population. EQN ditches player levels, but we still have this whole "tier" system to figure out.

Who knows...

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
The biggest problem with the travel woes is xpac inflation. A well designed original release continent or two may be well balanced and with a good community, ok to deal with slow travel with one or two port classes. However, 3 or 4 years down the line when you have endless unpopulated zones, it's just tedious. This was absolutely the case for EQ pre-PoP. I have no clue if the world design of EQN will suffer the same issues. Character levels and appropriate zones with mobs within level range often dictated its population. EQN ditches player levels, but we still have this whole "tier" system to figure out.

Who knows...
Well the whole mob migration AI thing would really help with that.

North Ro is a low level zone that you grinded a bit while leveling up some classes and then you stumbled back there a year later and it's a high level zone because months of orc slaughter chased them out and some dragons moved in. Same zone, different loot, Mobs and levels.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider

Who knows...
Ya this is the best approach to take. If world design falls on the side of EQ/WoW static worlds with very specific PoIs with specific highly unique loot from them and they are releasing new continent xpacs that constantly shit where the high lvl gameplay is happening then fast travel becomes more required. If the world structure and xpac structure looks more like EVE where the world size stays relatively constant or where the expansion a new layer is like into the sky or Brells which is kinda similar to EVE wormholes in a way and there is generally not much reason to hop around the world constantly because while there is some unique loot it is trade-able and not highly unique.

If I had to guess what we get is going to fall somewhere between the two game types. The big question will be when the new continents come, will kunark be tier 5, and then velious tier 6 meaning high lvl players all leave antonica forever to go there or will it be the same tiers but with some new materials and things so maybe you go there for awhile on release and then go back to where you built your guildhall and base on antonica eventually while some new guild that really liked kunark stakes its claim in the open land there.

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I do think it'd be cool if you could travel around purely in the water, using submerged tunnels to stay aquatic to visit places like Kedge and Siren's Grotto. Maybe have some underwater current superhighway like in Finding Nemo. Build your plot underwater, etc. I'm thinking of that city on Naboo in Phantom Menace and the cool water vehicle they used to cross the planet underwater.
You just want to make your character a mermaid dont you?

Heallun

Lord Nagafen Raider
Skyfire was terrible. Everytime someone wanted a port there I would dread it. They always paid well, but porting there was like prepping for a raid. Get buffed up, everyone on your guard because the minute you zoned in, there was a 70% chance you were going to get aggro before you could even see anything.
Druid port in is fine. Holy shit that wizard port in. CHROMODRAKE DISPEL SPAM GOOOOO.

Spoonz_sl

shitlord
I don't understand. So just explore the overworld? You have the knowledge now, well before release, that they are doing a fair bit of focus on underground content and that you can decide if its still worth it to buy before release. It's no different then someone not wanting to do raiding, pvp or any number of different types of contents MMOs have these days. Sure you are going to miss stuff, welcome to having a consequence to your choice.
What is your point, exactly? That drawing an arbitrary line between content you deem interesting and content you skip leaves you with less content? I am not sure what you expect short of them throwing away their entire concept because you just want to explore the overworld but also not miss out.
I never said I wanted them to change their concepts....... There is still a lot about the game that hasn't had much clarification or hasn't been talked about much. I was just wondering out loud.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
SolB -> Lavastorm -> Nektulos -> Ecommons -> Nro -> Oasis -> Sro -> Innothule Swamp -> Guk wasnt tedious and would be a 20min run.