EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I honestly wonder how much they would sell the "classic - POP" IP of EQ1 for? Like if legit another studio came by and was like "We wanna remake EQ1 form classic to POP, how much to license the IP" names, lore, world, visual similarities are all that's needed to "buy" the rest would be newly created for the game.
Mmm this makes me hard.

I hope From buys it and converts EQ to a Dark Souls/Bloodbourne MMO.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I dont know about you guys, but since original, P99 and a few more emu servers over the last 17 yrs im done with classic -PoP. I want the same just in a new game.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users
There are a bunch of emulator servers that already do classic EQ and up to PoP. If you want it you can play it now. And no dev is going to pay for EQ when they could just make their own game. It isn't hard to come up with tolkeinesque lore and game world. Dwarves live in a cave, elves start in a forest, dark elves start in a dark forest, humans start in a city, etc. Wizards nuke, warriors slash stuff. EQ doesn't have anything of value to anyone anymore. SOE had their chance and they blew it. Multiple times. They ran that shit into the ground.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
Can you go into a bit more detail about how the Storybricks AI system functioned? It sounds like a great concept in theory, maybe a bit ahead of its time.

The thing with Storybricks is not so much that we were trying completely new ideas or inventing new technology, but that we were mixing some tried-and-tested ideas together in a new way.
  • A visual interface for declaratively defining NPCs, NPC roles, and factions (this was the 'bricks' part), giving them traits that affect the sort of things they want to do
  • A mood and memory system for modifying their behavioral choices based on recent events
  • Utility-systems for choosing behaviors based on the situation, mood, and character traits (we used something like Dave Mark's 'Infinite Axis Utility System' for that; he was contracting for us)
  • Planning systems to make more complex behaviors available, especially regarding faction-wide objectives
  • Running AI on a separate server so that it could scale independently of player load
Some of these things were lost in the attempt to port things over to EQN (e.g. the visual interface; NPCs had to be defined via the database tool which was painful), some got watered down (e.g. choosing behavior isn't that interesting when your only choices are Move, Use Combat Ability 1, and Use Combat Ability 2), and some we were still prototyping when the contract was ended (e.g. the high level planning stuff).

One day I hope to get all this stuff into a small game, because I know it works. But, it takes time, and time is money.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for posting Kylotan. So I wonder, back in autum 2015 there was a big internal playtest, how far along was the game then? Did anything really work or was it just bare bones and all the people playing that version realized EQN was never going to release?

The playtest was nothing more than taking a character, equipping a weapon, and playing whack-a-mole on a target. It was awful. Like really awful.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
The playtest was obviously CN saying "prove this game ain't a shitfest" and then DBG revealing there was no game at all. What a colossal waste.

Tauro

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah, firing the top EQN people + Smed and killing the whole project (including Landmark) was 100% the right thing to do. 10 years lost for the EQ franchise... EQ3/N the biggest fuckup in MMO history.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
The thing with Storybricks is not so much that we were trying completely new ideas or inventing new technology, but that we were mixing some tried-and-tested ideas together in a new way.
  • A visual interface for declaratively defining NPCs, NPC roles, and factions (this was the 'bricks' part), giving them traits that affect the sort of things they want to do
  • A mood and memory system for modifying their behavioral choices based on recent events
  • Utility-systems for choosing behaviors based on the situation, mood, and character traits (we used something like Dave Mark's 'Infinite Axis Utility System' for that; he was contracting for us)
  • Planning systems to make more complex behaviors available, especially regarding faction-wide objectives
  • Running AI on a separate server so that it could scale independently of player load
Some of these things were lost in the attempt to port things over to EQN (e.g. the visual interface; NPCs had to be defined via the database tool which was painful), some got watered down (e.g. choosing behavior isn't that interesting when your only choices are Move, Use Combat Ability 1, and Use Combat Ability 2), and some we were still prototyping when the contract was ended (e.g. the high level planning stuff).

One day I hope to get all this stuff into a small game, because I know it works. But, it takes time, and time is money.

were you trying to create a woman?

Furious

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any truth to the rumor that they are secretly working on this game again Elidroth?

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
There is an open position for a creative director at Daybreak and you would be correct in thinking it's EQ related.

EDIT: and you will also be correct in thinking it's not going to be an MMO

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users