EQ Next: #1 Next gen MMO

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wonder how much someone could buy the Everquest IP and franchise for today? If I ever win the lottery, I will send them a low-ball offer.

Its for sale. I don't have a lot of details right now. I'll do a little prying in another community's discord next time the subject comes up. I thought nothing of it when I heard about it because I have no ties to EQ, and well, its sort of irrelevant-- outside of novelty questions like this.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You're saying DBG has the IP for sale? Or this was the previous SoE to DBG deal made?

I hold little hope it transfers into competent hands.. this is the legacy of EQ.

Eonan

Doer of Things
Well this was quite the read. Any update jayrebb jayrebb ?

Reinstalled EQ yesterday to dick around and noticed that there were two "collectors edition" versions of the new expansion...one being $89 and the other being $139...yes...$139. Now...it's been a little over two years since I played around in EQ and maybe the last expansion also had this model but hot damn this feels like a super heavy handed cash grab for some cosmetic items.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Well this was quite the read. Any update jayrebb jayrebb ?

Reinstalled EQ yesterday to dick around and noticed that there were two "collectors edition" versions of the new expansion...one being $89 and the other being $139...yes...$139. Now...it's been a little over two years since I played around in EQ and maybe the last expansion also had this model but hot damn this feels like a super heavy handed cash grab for some cosmetic items.
A lot of the buyers of that are just so invested in EQ and want the game to survive that they don't mind shelling out the money for it because they know the game is dying a slow, slow death. I bought the cheapest versions, but I can see why some dude has logged into it every night for the last 4 years could spend $140 for an expansion and not give a shit about any of the extras in it.

Eonan

Doer of Things
A lot of the buyers of that are just so invested in EQ and want the game to survive that they don't mind shelling out the money for it because they know the game is dying a slow, slow death. I bought the cheapest versions, but I can see why some dude has logged into it every night for the last 4 years could spend $140 for an expansion and not give a shit about any of the extras in it.
Heh yea...I went with the cheap version for my box-group.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'd be interested in an EQ/Minecraft hybrid that unlocks game engine stuff as the game develops into a full sequel under the schtick that we're playing basically the intro video to EQ1. There it talks about how Norrath was formed and developed to it's current state. Well this game would be that, but on a different world, countless worlds, randomly generated per server. Content would be patched in as the Gods created more features and mobs and content.
The game wouldn't have to be completed coming out, because the story doesn't it doesn't need to be

zero_name

Golden Knight of the Realm
Congrats, you just spitballed another EQN that would fail so hard an entire team would be ran out of their office as the game is abruptly canceled. Also do you have a ponytail?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 3 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Take current eq1. Make it about 35% harder. Add enhanced ai and graphics. Add voxels so you can make alternative pull routes and block pathing routes. Fix pathing.

Launch eq1 remastered one expac at a time with some updated mechanics, quests, new raid mobs and alternative expansions along a tlp pathline.

• 2Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Obviously what we really need is a TERA-clone with EQ-era Graphics.

• 1Worf

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Take current eq1. Make it about 35% harder. Add enhanced ai and graphics. Add voxels so you can make alternative pull routes and block pathing routes. Fix pathing.

Launch eq1 remastered one expac at a time with some updated mechanics, quests, new raid mobs and alternative expansions along a tlp pathline.

Or just make a completely new game, which is what you're asking, and would probably take less time.

• 2Like

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Brad's development process is making headway, but when I say making a new game would take less time, I'm talking about a full-time dev team with full funding to make a game. Full art, design, and code team.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Brad's development process is making headway, but when I say making a new game would take less time, I'm talking about a full-time dev team with full funding to make a game. Full art, design, and code team.

Are they really making headway? Legit question. I have major doubts, but it would be nice to hear that they are actually nearing "big steps".

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are they really making headway? Legit question. I have major doubts, but it would be nice to hear that they are actually nearing "big steps".

Depends on who you ask. Most people that follow Pantheon's development can tell you that they are making progress and have proof via screen caps and streamer video's. They dont post in that thread because the thread is full of people that have a distrust of Brad, the knowledge of the games mismanagement from the very beginning and the constant star citizen-esque cash grab for donation requests. For myself, Im kind of in the middle. I want to play the game if it comes out, but I'd never put a dime into it before it actually came out. I'll be disappointed if it doesnt come out, but I wont be one of the people that donated money to the game and "fallen" for that trick.

As for purchasing the EQ franchise? I would consider purchasing all of Kingdoms of Amalur's assetts before I purchased EQ. But to be quite honest, an MMO is a mega-rich persons game all day long. EQ in its current form just shows its age too much. Everything is a mess and only gets worse with each expansion added. Taliesin or w/e had a good plan for WoW and each expansion going forward. You start the game and level up in the classic world, which should be a 1-20 experience. From there, you can pick which expansion you want to go to and level up to 50, and then after completing that expansion, you unlock the newest expansion and complete your last 10 levels there. This is after the level squish coming this next expansion. EverQuest needed something similar a long time ago, but its so hamfisted together and intertwined in some parts that it would be near impossible without completely reorganizing some areas.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Like