EQ Reborn (Classic EQ)

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
No, seriously, is Kegz running EQ Reborn? Just rolled a char there and I need to know before spending time leveling.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mistafista

Trakanon Raider
Can someone in a nutshell explain the toop thing? I'm not reading that whole thread.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Can someone in a nutshell explain the toop thing? I'm not reading that whole thread.

It was so long ago that I really don't remember many individual incidents, but just in general the guy is a giant pile of insane asshat. Defensive to the point that merely reporting bugs was considered flaming and could get you banned. Would try to improve things from stock PEQ and end up fucking it up horribly and then defending his shitty work.

I think at one point (was after I quit his last server so the details are fuzzy) he pretended to step down and hand the server off to a new dev, but later it turned out it was still him the whole time.

Just a general batshit crazy jerk.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Scrolled through the old thread and here's a good post from BEFORE the shit hit the fan:

axeman said:
This is a candidate for worst serious attempt at making an EQEmu server ever. There have been worse servers, but they were the ones randomly set up by one guy. Of all servers with an actual development team, beta phase etc., this is by far the most pitiful effort.

Nothing works. There's something wrong with everything. OVERWHELMING amounts of bugs, wrong spawns, wrong loot tables, wrong pathing, broken mechanics, broken quests... it's an absolute farce. It's hilariously bad. Fundamental class mechanics are broken, such as invis not breaking charm, feign death not breaking when a mob casts on the monk, taunt just generating huge amounts of threat so tanking is utterly trivial and so on. Some zones are randomly hit by hours of crushing lag, other zones crash and go offline every thirty minutes. Everything is just a mess of shockingly bad design, gamebreaking bugs, zero fixing during the two years of supposed development, and posts by developers who sound like they haven't got a clue what they're talking about.

I tried beta testing for a while but gave up because there were no changelogs, no communication, no forum search function or anything else to help with testing. You were just playing blind and reporting whatever bugs you found. I did that for a week and found that NOT A SINGLE ONE of the bugs I reported had been fixed in the release version of the server. This includes bugs I posted and had a dev reply with "this is fixed now." I don't know whether they're just utterly incompetent or actually lied to their testers in order to make it look like they were doing something, but whatever the case, this server is so bad it isn't worth anybody's time, people are leaving it in droves, and I certainly see no bright future for it considering the development team's repeatedly proven incompetence.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Got bored and kept reading. Forgot about this one:

Motec said:
And the best anecdote of today alone? From a GM. "Velks floor is excellent because those haste gauntlets drop from random spiders there"...there we have it, a GM who sat in velks groups for hours on end while someone pulled the top floor named frenzy to ground level has a definitive view on a loot table and itemization of a zone.

The dev would regularly change the DB based purely on his memory from when he was a teenager, without any regard to proof or evidence presented to him about being wrong.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Still been casually skimming through the old Kegz thread, here's a great post that sums a lot up:

Friday said:
1. Kegz hovers over his abortion of a forum and ninja edits users posts and re-writes them so they sound more respectful. I just checked a bug I reported a few weeks ago about named mobs dropping zero loot. He re-wrote it to make it appear as if I was just reminding people that BECAUSE named spawn more often they wont drop loot as much (lol they dont drop anything ever and its intentional).

2. He micro-manages loot. He feels some loot is so overpowered that the reported true classic drop rates should be lower (read: all items basically). Stuff drops but its so rare its beyond belief. The last time a t-staff dropped in KC he brought the server down for a restart and zero loot has been seen in KC since. Same in velks, lguk, etc.

3. You cant even raise your velious faction. Namely with dwarves. Got Kael armor to turn in? Some people started out kos to thurgadin.

4. Resist rates. Casters are basically worthless. Root last half a second on green mobs or is out right resisted. Half your spells are resisted.

5. 46+ mobs have almost TRIPLE the hp that their lvl 45 counterparts. We parsed slimes in CoM about 3k hp and the next pull had almost 12k.

6. All mobs in KC are on VS faction. Even the undead. Have good VS faction? Have fun exploring the zone sniping named lol.

7. All mobs in Kaesora are on VS faction.

8. All mobs in skyfire are indifferent.

9. Nortlav the Scalekeeper was just killed by a group of 55s.

Sleepers started as a great idea. I guess. Im not surprised by it though.

This server is built from the view of the super casual gamer back in classic eq. Mobs were hard. Loot never dropped. Nobody knew how the game worked. That is whats going on here. Server created from the memory of one bad player.

Anyways. He'll ban my account Im sure because thats the kind of person he is. Mad ban followed by boner. This was not a serious attempt at classic eq. Dont play here.

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
I cannot stress it hard enough. Do not play on a server managed by Kegs/Toop/Apoc.

There was a moment where Kegz ddos'd Rogean but it went down like this instead:

1. Kegz server goes down. No one can log in.
2. Kegz rants all over P99 forums posting logs of Rogean DDOS'ing him
3. Rogean steps in and wiresharks his packets and proves Kegz DDoS'd himself with packets pretending to look like they came from P99
4. Using the logs Kegz posted -- it is determined that he is hosting his server on his company work computers at his day job and maliciously DDoSing it.
5. Gets called out for it and reported to his ISP which takes action and he goes dark and pretends to hand the project over to another admin while he goes to interview with Sony.

Some of the BEST stories come from this dude I am not making any of this up.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

MazeEq

Lord Nagafen Raider
El oh el.

I cannot stress it hard enough. Do not play on a server managed by Kegs/Toop/Apoc.

There was a moment where Kegz ddos'd Rogean but it went down like this instead:

1. Kegz server goes down. No one can log in.
2. Kegz rants all over P99 forums posting logs of Rogean DDOS'ing him
3. Rogean steps in and wiresharks his packets and proves Kegz DDoS'd himself with packets pretending to look like they came from P99
4. Using the logs Kegz posted -- it is determined that he is hosting his server on his company work computers at his day job and maliciously DDoSing it.
5. Gets called out for it and reported to his ISP which takes action and he goes dark and pretends to hand the project over to another admin while he goes to interview with Sony.

Some of the BEST stories come from this dude I am not making any of this up.

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
How accurate is it with respect to classic through Velious?

Not very, but good enough. People who played it early on would know better.

you basically have to eliminate all the shit added from classic-POP. No simple task, you gotta have autism for about a week if you put in 6-10hrs a day.

itd be faster to make the database editor publically available and have a moderation que for edits. Crowdsourcing development like what I just described is something ive been flapping gums about for like 5years.

Also classic servers that dont contribute their shit to the greater good, like Rogaine who runs the entire project but cant contribute the p99 classic DB because he is a jew or has to make sure nilbog isnt mad for contributing something thatd make other servers more popular than his

Last edited:

orionTZ1998

Golden Squire
Not very, but good enough. People who played it early on would know better.

you basically have to eliminate all the shit added from classic-POP. No simple task, you gotta have autism for about a week if you put in 6-10hrs a day.

itd be faster to make the database editor publically available and have a moderation que for edits. Crowdsourcing development like what I just described is something ive been flapping gums about for like 5years.

Also classic servers that dont contribute their shit to the greater good, like Rogaine who runs the entire project but cant contribute the p99 classic DB because he is a jew or has to make sure nilbog isnt mad for contributing something thatd make other servers more popular than his
Interesting. Hasn't the EQEmulator project been going on since the early 2000s? The whole thing sounds pretty worthless if they haven't managed to put together a community database for the simplest (and most popular) period of EverQuest. Having that data available would make putting a server together almost effortless and would open the door to all sorts of interesting rule sets. Instead we get poor attempts at nostalgia ad naseum.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
How accurate is it with respect to classic through Velious?

TAKP's database is lightyears ahead of anything else available. Torven's put in some serious work to make sure of that.

Won't be open source until 2019 at the earliest. Probably when PoP launches.

• 1Like

tyen

EQ in a browser wait time: ____
<Banned>
Interesting. Hasn't the EQEmulator project been going on since the early 2000s? The whole thing sounds pretty worthless if they haven't managed to put together a community database for the simplest (and most popular) period of EverQuest. Having that data available would make putting a server together almost effortless and would open the door to all sorts of interesting rule sets. Instead we get poor attempts at nostalgia ad naseum.

Its because people do things for THEIR servers, never contribute, then their project eventually dies.

Rinse and repeat for 16 years and we still have to do the same exact work to get the database unfucked.

This is why Ive trolled nilbog/rogaine with disrespect anytime I run into them on the internet, which is somewhat often.