EQ - The Sleeper

Status
Not open for further replies.

axeman_sl

shitlord
From Kegz' OP:

Sometimes the wayback machine just doesn't cut it, in order to get classic content you need classic data. Our development team has been dedicated to keeping track of EverQuest information since it's beginning. Be prepared to play an emulated EverQuest as close to its original content as possible thanks to our developers hard work from years ago.
LMFAO

Joke of the year. This server is the polar opposite of what he advertised. Let's go through it, in fact:

Dynamic Raid Spawning
In the event of overcrowded raid encounters, guilds will be allowed certain tokens per week to spawn raid boss encounters on demand, no need to wait around for random spawn timers while sacrificing valuable real life time. Enjoy the fact that your raid can have a set time and place, without dispute, incident, or provocation from other players.
This system literally doesn't exist. They haven't worked on anything of the sort. When asked in late beta, Kegz revealed that nothing had been prepared or even particularly planned for this. It's just some words on a page.

Randomized Hotzones
Experience boosting hotzones will be randomly chosen and rotated through on a weekly - bi-weekly basis, providing you and other players the ability to group more often in higher risk / reward zones. Sometimes these hotzones may be announced without specifying the zone, making it a fun hunt for you and your friends.
It has hotzones, but the xp rate itself is way off and has caused countless people to abandon ship already. We're talking like six hours of solid grinding per level, in your teens.

Classic Items/Zone to Start
Remember the 'fire-pot' room? Manastones? Rubicite Armor? Dark Elf Masks? These items are now available, and will be for a limited time after launch.
Technically available, but most named mobs are bugged to shit and drop nothing 90% of the time. Others reside in zones with fucked-up pathing or possess ridiculous abilities (one mob in Runnyeye was spamming Earthquake and AoE blind.)

Epics
The longest, sometimes most annoying and tedious quests are available for you to grind away at and you can get started on your epic quests as soon as you are able to!
Almost no quests work. I tried three different quests and none worked. My guildies had similar experiences, with one reporting that two out of six attempted quests worked while another lost all his money to a broken quest and stopped trying to complete any more. Nothing suggests epic quests would function, they haven't got most of the other ones right.

Dedicated Development Team
You will have developers who are working hard to bring you content set as close as possible to the accurate era. Community feedback is appreciated, the developers will listen to your idea's to assist in reproducing the ideal Norrath.
There's pretty much just Kegz. The one other developer who was still around near launch hasn't been heard from in like three weeks. The rest are just guides, one of whom shared in Mumble the fact that fixing this broken server is more or less all up to Kegz himself.

Continuation of Beta Characters
Your beta characters wont be deleted when the server goes live, they will be moved to the new test server which will be locked for a few months after the live launch of The Sleeper. The new test server will serve as a platform for you to continue testing content into the Luclin era of EverQuest when the developers are ready.
Considering how much of a farce their beta was, having characters on a test server seems fairly pointless. People's bug reports were never resolved, people disagreed with fixes that wouldn't benefit their favorite classes, and the number of responses to post-launch bug reports are.... ZERO. Kegz has yet to respond to any bug report since the server opened. When people suggested that he communicate better, he got extremely defensive and hostile, verbally attacking random posters and claiming that they didn't even play on the server.

Unique Resources
Sometimes the wayback machine just doesn't cut it, in order to get classic content you need classic data. Our development team has been dedicated to keeping track of EverQuest information since it's beginning. Be prepared to play an emulated EverQuest as close to its original content as possible thanks to our developers hard work from years ago.
Their closely guarded "Holy Grail" consists of a binder with old Allakhazam printouts. That's it. That's the secret weapon they thought would let them create an amazing and succesful server. I'm actively guffawing at the line "be prepared to play an emulated Everquest as close to its original content as possible" since nothing could be further from the truth, this server is so staggeringly broken and unclassic that it beggars belief. It's an irony overdose, a parody, and simultaneously depressing to realize that someone spent so much time producing something so heartcrushingly awful. Mostly I just mourn the fact that there won't be a neat Velious server after all, because it is of such atrociously low quality that there is no chance it'll survive and thrive.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Really enjoying the game/server. The exp rate is fine as long as you know what you're doing. Going by how many level 20's, and 30's I'm seeing 10 days after launch I don't know how you can say it's too slow.

I'm very worried for all the bugs I'm about to experience in the level 40-60 game though. And the global ooc community pretty much blows most of the time.

totania_sl

shitlord
Almost no quests work. I tried three different quests and none worked. My guildies had similar experiences, with one reporting that two out of six attempted quests worked while another lost all his money to a broken quest and stopped trying to complete any more. Nothing suggests epic quests would function, they haven't got most of the other ones right.
This just amazes me. How could he screw up this badly? Pick any of the other EMU servers and the quests work. It's like he went out of his way to break things. Hell, even the setup instructions for a server are pretty well established on the eqemulator site. It takes two hours tops to get a server running (not counting installing the OS)

Their closely guarded "Holy Grail" consists of a binder with old Allakhazam printouts. That's it. That's the secret weapon they thought would let them create an amazing and succesful server. I'm actively guffawing at the line "be prepared to play an emulated Everquest as close to its original content as possible" since nothing could be further from the truth, this server is so staggeringly broken and unclassic that it beggars belief. It's an irony overdose, a parody, and simultaneously depressing to realize that someone spent so much time producing something so heartcrushingly awful. Mostly I just mourn the fact that there won't be a neat Velious server after all, because it is of such atrociously low quality that there is no chance it'll survive and thrive.
All he had to do was take the latest EMU bits and then remove the post-Velious content. Then, add back any item that was removed post-Velious. It isn't difficult and certainly doesn't need a beta period. Even with a half-assed understanding of SQL it's doable.

You do understand just the stupid EQEMU npc database has 50k + entries of same things all with shitty items and is from PoP era right? Its not as easy as just removing Post velious content

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
You do understand just the stupid EQEMU npc database has 50k + entries of same things all with shitty items and is from PoP era right? Its not as easy as just removing Post velious content
This. It's not just content, it's data as well. Stats on items are wrong. Names are wrong. Spawns are wrong and even when they are half-right, loot tables are wrong, and spawn variations are wrong. Even when all of that is right, dependencies and spawn conditions are wrong. Even when that's right, factions are probably wrong. When all of that is right, and you think you're good to go... whoops, you forgot. Pathing is probably very, very wrong. And I'm not even getting into quests and how they've all half-changed since various time periods. And even when the quests are right, sometimes, the behaviour of the game in general has changed since the time period you've chosen to emulate. Working weapon knockback, anyone? How about line of sight changes? How about resists? What about the thousand other things that have changed in the code since Velious that have to be changed in C, not the database? How about the many things that eqemu never even captured because it's not designed to emulate early-period EQ at all?

Making a PROPER Velious-era (or Classic, or Kunark) eqemu is a massive, massive undertaking. So, people who think it's easy shit, like this guy:

All he had to do was take the latest EMU bits and then remove the post-Velious content. Then, add back any item that was removed post-Velious. It isn't difficult and certainly doesn't need a beta period. Even with a half-assed understanding of SQL it's doable.
Do it yourselves or stop your complaining (I'm not being a hypocrite here, I worked on an eqemu for months with some folks from my old guild on P99, until Shit Happened and it was unfortunately never finished).

lindz

#DDs
Editing a database is time consuming, but easy. That stuff I expect to be done after more than a year in beta. The information is available, you just need to dig to find it. The scripting takes a ton of work though. The default EQEmu files are messy as shit. When I set up my own server I made changes every single day and found more problems every day and that was just two people finding errors. The server clearly doesn't have enough staff or just doesn't have enough dedicated staff. Go take a look at the technical forum right now, at just how many reported problems they have. Then look at the fixes that have been done... they haven't even begun to scratch them and this is after a year and a half of testing. It is worrisome to say the least.

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Is there ever hope that they can recreate NPC-spawn timing,linking and pathing correctly? I feel that this was even a mystery to the early devs themselves sometimes. Sure, after much asking they offered up a few scripts of high-profile NPC's like the Ancient cyclops and Quillmane, but how about an obscure bloke like Faldor Hendrys? Rare spawn in North Qeynos that was part of the Eye of Stormhammer quest that required you to do shit all over Norrath? I understand that EQclassic is building everything from the ground up, but how do they know about shit like that? Surely you can not find clues in the (Trilogy) client about NPC pathing and spawning, or can they? Isn't that all server based?

There are literally hundreds of NPC's like Faldor Hendrys, some purely for flavor (like the NPC's pathing through Qeynos Hills), others high profile like Quillmane. When Talym Shoontar walked down the path in Qeynos Hills, did that mean you could not encounter him in the Seafury Roost in East Freeport for a certain amount of time, being at the other end of the world? I feel that information about such scripts is mostly lost. Some people will find this very uninteresting, but I liked that part of EQ a lot and if anything, EQclassic should recreate that part especially. Luckily most of that stuff still works in modern EQ, exept in revamped zones off course.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Is there ever hope that they can recreate NPC-spawn timing,linking and pathing correctly? I feel that this was even a mystery to the early devs themselves sometimes. Sure, after much asking they offered up a few scripts of high-profile NPC's like the Ancient cyclops and Quillmane, but how about an obsure bloke like Faldor Hendrys? Rare spawn in North Qeynos that was part of the Eye of Stormhammer quest that required you to do shit all over Norrath? I understand that EQclassic ius building everything from the ground up, but how do they know about shit like that? Surely you can not find clues in the (Trilogy) client about NPC pathing and spawning, or can they? Isn't that all server based?
Pathing and spawn information is entirely server-side. It would require written knowledge of the pathing/spawns to recreate everything to the letter, and you're right, a lot of that is potentially lost for the lesser mobs of Norrath. There's also an awful lot of information out there that isn't on Allakhazam and the like, and it takes a long time to sift through it all.

If Kegz really is doing almost everything by himself, he can't hope to finish it in any kind of reasonable time frame. I tried to pick up my eqemu project after it had been abandoned for a while, and I couldn't wrap my head around everything that needed to be done. It's just too much work to do alone.

axeman_sl

shitlord
Getting PMs from Kegz calling me a troll. That's his reaction to everything. On the server's forum, he responds to criticism with random accusations such as "you don't even play." No server was ever going to succeed under this guy.

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Does anyone besides axe feel that this server is completely hopeless? What are the main issues that you are experiencing? I'd like to know before I give playing on Sleeper any effort.

Thanks

Nightmare

Golden Knight of the Realm
I really think Kegz needs to get more people working on this. 3 people just isn't going to cut it. There needs to be some lower level people that can take care of stuff like mob pathing, zone population, and loot tables. That would free up time for other devs to work on broken quests and mechanics.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I really think Kegz needs to get more people working on this. 3 people just isn't going to cut it. There needs to be some lower level people that can take care of stuff like mob pathing, zone population, and loot tables. That would free up time for other devs to work on broken quests and mechanics.
The devil is in the security. You don't want developers to be able to do too much to the database unless you trust them implicitly, and some of the in-game #commands aren't all that great for doing things like loot tables. It's easier to do that stuff directly in the database with certain tools. All of this is work for Kegz to set up -- if that's even how he wants to do business. Who knows.

Rhuobhe

N00b
Does anyone besides axe feel that this server is completely hopeless? What are the main issues that you are experiencing? I'd like to know before I give playing on Sleeper any effort.

Thanks
I'm 12 and ive had a fun so far in qeynos. I havent experienced the 20s yet but its possible these people are overreacting to minor things.

Uzi_sl

shitlord
gave in and fired it up out of curiosity.

That giant list of problems is mostly minor shit unless you are a classic eq neckbeard nazi, but as a whole they add up to an annoying experience.

I think the main problem is kegz cannot possibly take on all the work needed to make it what he envisions. Most of the bugs I can deal with but at the very least the insane lag in zones with more then a few people at once shows its not ready. There is a ton of professional (seeming) hype in and around this thing but I have this feeling its really just one dude fixing things that become most vocal in ooc. No disrespect to Kegz as his intentions were pure but I think the workload required was far beyond what he expected (or is even capable of).

There are enough small things to make it just too painful to play. Mob HP regen is way jack upped, resists and fizzle rates feel weird (not confirmed) along with the clearly fucked up xp rate just makes this not what someone does for fun. Will check back in a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.