EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Thanks for reminding me of the absolute abomination that is new Freeport. I swear I hope the people who designed and approved that atrocity grow tastebuds in their anus.

People claim the freeport revamp is the worst, but I contend the first revamp of Nek Forest was far worse, they changed it in DoDH and it was so bad they had to revamp it a second time to what it is now. I suspect most people have purged it from their memories or just missed it because it didn't last very long.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
NuPort has everything in it but it's a fuck and a half to navigate.

Yeah if they just opened up all the dead ends that exist for no reason and you could just run through it in a mostly straight line it was be 100x better

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
So I'm guessing from the way the EQ Show teased the JChan interview, JChan is going to reveal details about the ruleset in her interview in the next EQShow, which will be tied to the anniversary event.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
NuPort has everything in it but it's a fuck and a half to navigate.
New Freeport would be fine if it just had less invis walls and was open to being fun like old Freeport was.

The collision issues in that are the #1 issue I have with it. The #2 would be the gated nature of the archways.

The only other issue is that the zone is Vanguard Brown. It's awful on the eyes, as are most of the zones and assets they made in Omens and later.
There's something 'not EQ' about the level of fidelity in Omens vs the fidelity in even Gates of Discord.

Natimbi (Gates of Discord)
1678820143774.png

Walls of Slaughter (Omens)

1678820170235.png

Biggest thing I can think of for this EQ 'uncanny valley' feeling is the buildings not being as blocky nor the terrain. The flat terrain or angled terrain in older s3d zones just looks and feels much better, even in cases like Shadeweaver's Thicket where there's an illusion of depth leading up to Paludal Caverns.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
New Freeport would be fine if it just had less invis walls and was open to being fun like old Freeport was.

The collision issues in that are the #1 issue I have with it. The #2 would be the gated nature of the archways.

The only other issue is that the zone is Vanguard Brown. It's awful on the eyes, as are most of the zones and assets they made in Omens and later.

giphy.gif

Easy fix!

• 2Worf

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Old Freeport looks like something artists lovingly did while high on adderall and having to model a hundred other new zones while being highly constrained by a busted 90s PC gaming engine.

New Freeport looks like some high school modeling shit.

• 1Like

Zish

Trakanon Raider
I just wish they would've at least tried to keep the layout similar to the original. The new one is a straight up maze with dead ends and paths that don't lead where they should.

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
No it was Yace, who played a Paladin, also Ultara it appears.

Healup was the Cleric you refer to, unsure of his current status.
Ultara died? Anyone know what happened? Seemed like a good dude that I used to rip on because you could hear the fans on his 20 laptops spinning up in the background constantly every time he keyed his mic.

Xevy

Log Wizard
That's a map. Of what zone? I don't know. Sol A/B or some DoN bullshit probably.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Ultara died? Anyone know what happened? Seemed like a good dude that I used to rip on because you could hear the fans on his 20 laptops spinning up in the background constantly every time he keyed his mic.
Ultras would surprise me. I remembered him being in his mid 20’s on Mangler.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The notable thing was the official EQ twitter did an @planeofmischief in response.

To me the image looks like a the bottom left of a picture of a player riding a Shiknar mount.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I forgot to post this the other day too. This is the server population over the last 6 months.
879D2206-BC2E-4A81-98F6-783F0DF4D320.png

In column P:
100 = High server population
63 = Medium
32 = Low
P = Average population

Note that this is with Yelinak and Mischief still having the afk auto kick.

• 2Like

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I forgot to post this the other day too. This is the server population over the last 6 months.View attachment 463487
In column P:
100 = High server population
63 = Medium
32 = Low
P = Average population

Note that this is with Yelinak and Mischief still having the afk auto kick.

People love classic to pop....

Poor vaniki, and to think they want to implement Vaniki ideas into normal TLPS. Its like the person who made new coke trying to convince themsevles it wasnt a total failure.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I still think it's possible Vaniki moved enough merch in the store to warrant tinkering with something like it again but the real story is Mischief holding on to the big numbers for this long.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Way I see it with that data is they have 2 base options for the new tlp.

- Mischief copy with a small twist (maybe all loot attunable?)
- Yelinak copy with a small twist (maybe no flagging?)