EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
There's different ranks of Kronolord right, just like in the nobility. You have your Krono Barons who just farm casual group shit for krono. You have your Krono Earls who farm raid targets with a small KronoKrew. And then you have your Krono Dukes who have their own MQ2 compiles, automate plat farming groups in multiple picks in like 10 different places on every server and generate thousands of krono a month from plat farming and krono arbitrage. Some of the final type also get bored sometimes and warp around Swamp of No Hope looting anything people drop on the ground because they didn't fine tune their auto pickup shit.

You also have your Krono Vagabonds and Bandits, these are the officers who steal 300-400kr guild banks and then peace out of a server.

• 4Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
That's a pretty solid list, but I do think you need to add one more rank, and that's the krono merchant. Not quite a peasant, but also not quite nobility. This is the person who copes and seethes in the chat channels when you openly mock the krono lords. They project their sadness and despair outward because they know they will never amass as much krono as the krono lords.

I'll add that there seems to be a positive correlation between what type of krono lord someone is and where they fall on the spectrum.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Well, if you have kronolords, then you must have kronoserfs. Those are all the people attending raids for a pittance to allow those with a bunch of krono to make more krono :p

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
On the subject of "unused" zones, I'm shocked that Lguk is still used so heavily in lieu of a place like SolB on a server like this. I mean, I guess it doesn't support quite as many groups maybe (if you include live side), but SolB is infinitely more accessible. It has a port almost directly to it, it doesn't require you to go through a lower-level "upper" zone, etc. I mean, I guess it's a case of just always doing what you're "used" to, but I don't understand its popularity for that 30+ range compared to SolB. LDCs, bats, and efreeti also give way better exp 40+ too, in comparison to LGuk. LGuk really starts to get shitty exp wise around 40, even in Hamlord.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
On the subject of "unused" zones, I'm shocked that Lguk is still used so heavily in lieu of a place like SolB on a server like this. I mean, I guess it doesn't support quite as many groups maybe (if you include live side), but SolB is infinitely more accessible. It has a port almost directly to it, it doesn't require you to go through a lower-level "upper" zone, etc. I mean, I guess it's a case of just always doing what you're "used" to, but I don't understand its popularity for that 30+ range compared to SolB. LDCs, bats, and efreeti also give way better exp 40+ too, in comparison to LGuk. LGuk really starts to get shitty exp wise around 40, even in Hamlord.
It's a pita to pull in solb. Weird pathing and easy to get turned around/lost - especially with bats.

Everything else you said is dead on tho. It is a great place to solo because no one is there. I did 35 to 48 there with shaman solo just to farm herbs.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
It just baffles me that there are actually people who play this game to RMT/amass krono. How could it possibly be more fucking profitable than working at your local McDonald's making $15/hour? I can't imagine that even the fucking ultra MQ2, Sam Da Man boxers are pulling down more than 30-40k/year.
On aradune when super bored me and a friend would PL people. 4 Slots in the group for 1-2kr an hour a pop depending on the time of day just using our 4 total characters. I mean if i melted that krono down thats an easy $25+ an hour. For poor people thats a decent living and we just did it while bored and had nothing better to do. Now take the krono sellers who do that all by themselves with their own box armies and such thats like 50 bucks an hour easy. Over 100k a year doing that for 8 hours a day.
Selling krono can be quite profitable.

DickTrickle

The very top tier kronolords can make an okay living. Not much of a career, though.

Sol B is great but people hate bat stun and spider dots. Personally I always go Sol B over LGuk.

• 2Like
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Right, so 20-30kr each on expansion launches. So, $200-300 - wooptie shit. Like, does it help buy groceries for the month? Sure, but at the end of the day, the act of sitting in ECtunnel to flip the items for krono, then finding some way to RMT it without getting scammed, etc.? It's a ton of fucking hassle for free groceries for the month. Sure, if I'm a degenerate loser I guess it's worth it? But if you're even moderately middle-class? No fucking thanks.

You're making 10-20kr/day by checking a once an hour spawn? Really? On a random loot server? Doubt.

Oh I never sold any. I have been a krono buyer since around 2015. I probably drop $400-500 on each server I play on just buying shit for the fuck of it tbh.

So to your point, the dudes like me still end up on the disposable income dont give a fuck team. That being said, my point was, we might appear to some on these launches like one of the meth lords, even though we are just very aggressive players.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
The Kronolords who may or may not be affiliated with DPG probably make something like 10-20k during peak monks during peak expansions on TLPs. That said, that's probably 1-2 people per server. And they've basically got DPG's blessing and protection so when you're the only legal drug dealer in town, you're gonna make a lot more money.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
On aradune when super bored me and a friend would PL people. 4 Slots in the group for 1-2kr an hour a pop depending on the time of day just using our 4 total characters. I mean if i melted that krono down thats an easy $25+ an hour. For poor people thats a decent living and we just did it while bored and had nothing better to do. Now take the krono sellers who do that all by themselves with their own box armies and such thats like 50 bucks an hour easy. Over 100k a year doing that for 8 hours a day.
Selling krono can be quite profitable.
But you are assuming an unlimited krono market. That krono will always be able to be sold at $10+/ea for eternity. Not to mention, that you'll somehow be able to sell it instantly, not have to deal with RMT sites getting "their cut", and not spend hours shilling in ECtunnel to flip items into krono/cash.

The reality is that it's a very limited market. Both in the fact that TLPs have a fairly brief "super popular' window, but also in who's able/willing to buy it, and the influx of krono coming into the market before saturation starts occurring. I understand it's theoretically possible, but I just don't see how you have all these "krono omega champions" selling literally 1000+ krono/year, when you have random dudes just fucking around also having around 50-100 or so themselves in just over a month since launch. There's no way you aren't reaching major market saturation, especially going by the avg. user stats that have been linked here repeatedly.

I'm calling bullshit unless you have actual evidence besides what's theoretically possible.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

But you are assuming an unlimited krono market. That krono will always be able to be sold at $10+/ea for eternity. Not to mention, that you'll somehow be able to sell it instantly, not have to deal with RMT sites getting "their cut", and not spend hours shilling in ECtunnel to flip items into krono/cash.

The reality is that it's a very limited market. Both in the fact that TLPs have a fairly brief "super popular' window, but also in who's able/willing to buy it, and the influx of krono coming into the market before saturation starts occurring. I understand it's theoretically possible, but I just don't see how you have all these "krono omega champions" selling literally 1000+ krono/year, when you have random dudes just fucking around also having around 50-100 or so themselves in just over a month since launch. There's no way you aren't reaching major market saturation, especially going by the avg. user stats that have been linked here repeatedly.

I'm calling bullshit unless you have actual evidence besides what's theoretically possible.
I think you don't play TLP/EQ/RMT enough to know.

Tubbins on mangler was easily clearing 100-200 Krono per time clear for a while. The first dark blade went for 50+ krono as did the first songblade. The dude automated a raid army from velious to dragons of norrath and then moved on to other servers. He absolutely made over a thousand Kronos a year and quite a bit over that. There are bots that were in sirens grotto for the entire life of the server farming plat 24/7. That's multiple krono a day without having to worry about selling stuff except to a vendor.

Also, the price of krono on third party sites has only increased... That's not what would happen if you had a saturation of krono in the market. The main third party RMT site does not even take the cut of the profit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Fair enough.
Tubbins on mangler was easily clearing 100-200 Krono per time clear for a while. The first dark blade went for 50+ krono as did the first songblade. The dude automated a raid army from velious to dragons of norrath and then moved on to other servers. He absolutely made over a thousand Kronos a year and quite a bit over that. There are bots that were in sirens grotto for the entire life of the server farming plat 24/7. That's multiple krono a day without having to worry about selling stuff except to a vendor.

Also, the price of krono on third party sites has only increased... That's not what would happen if you had a saturation of krono in the market. The main third party RMT site does not even take the cut of the profit.
But did he always actually move 1000+/year is the question. If I amass 20 billion Krono but can only actually sell 200, it doesn't really matter. How many times did he clear Time? And how do you know he was clearing 100-200 per?

The main RMT doesn't take a single cent of the profits? So, they just run the site for free out of the goodness of their hearts? 0 chance. Also, the price of Krono could also be rising if the demand is low. You might still have saturation in terms of willing buyers, especially if most of the krono is concentrated on relatively few accounts. Krono isn't a thing where you have to move it "or else" (it doesn't decay, disappear, etc.), so people could sit on it as long as needed to drive up pricing, even if the supply is saturated to shit.

DickTrickle

Fair enough.

But did he always actually move 1000+/year is the question. If I amass 20 billion Krono but can only actually sell 200, it doesn't really matter. How many times did he clear Time? And how do you know he was clearing 100-200 per?

The main RMT doesn't take a single cent of the profits? So, they just run the site for free out of the goodness of their hearts? 0 chance. Also, the price of Krono could also be rising if the demand is low. You might still have saturation in terms of willing buyers, especially if most of the krono is concentrated on relatively few accounts. Krono isn't a thing where you have to move it "or else" (it doesn't decay, disappear, etc.), so people could sit on it as long as needed to drive up pricing, even if the supply is saturated to shit.

They sell verified status for like 10 bucks a year. 100 chance anything I've ever sold there they did not take a cut. I'm guessing they don't want the potential legal complications?

True enough about demand, but I find that hard to believe seeing all these people dropping 10-30 Krono on shitty classic loot. Some dude sold like 20 fiery defenders at 10-30 Krono a pop. Soul leech, only a single part for the shitty SK epic, was doing 5-10 Krono no problem. It's insane. I don't have any proof but I just can't believe it's all krono lords buying and selling from each other only.

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
The secondary market for EQ, even the EMUs, is rather massive for such an old niche game. To even consider denying this is hilarious and very naive.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Fair enough.

You are talking about stuff you obviously do not know shit about. Every theory you have is pretty much complete opposite from reality.

If a seller wants top dollar($13) per krono you may sit on it for longer, but if you price it down 1 or 2 dollars per they move instantly.

Ectunnel takes nothing per transaction. Their business model is to push traffic there for their level 2 access, which has nothing to do with selling.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They sell verified status for like 10 bucks a year. 100 chance anything I've ever sold there they did not take a cut. I'm guessing they don't want the potential legal complications?

True enough about demand, but I find that hard to believe seeing all these people dropping 10-30 Krono on shitty classic loot. Some dude sold like 20 fiery defenders at 10-30 Krono a pop. Soul leech, only a single part for the shitty SK epic, was doing 5-10 Krono no problem. It's insane. I don't have any proof but I just can't believe it's all krono lords buying and selling from each other only.
Oh, without a doubt there's a bunch of degenerate deadbeats willing to drop $100-$300 on the Paladin epic or a bunch of nerds with enough disposable income that don't want the hassle (I'd honestly consider doing it for my Pally when he hits 60, if I could get it for $100 or so).

I'm just calling into question how prevalent the true "kronolords" are that are making north of 100k/year off a 22 year old game. That's the only thing I'm casting serious doubt on. I think at "best", most of your "serious" RMTers are lucky to be pulling around a McDonald's wage each TLP (we know they aren't making this kind of cash on live). The rest are degens who need to float some cash for groceries that month because they spent their unemployment on weed and then you have some dudes that are like, "Eh, I've got 30 krono here that I ain't doing shit with and haven't touched in over a month, I guess I'll get some free groceries this month". I mean, the guys you described making 1000+ krono a year seem extremely, extremely limited. So much so that pretty much all of them are "famous".

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
imo people shouldnt be able to bid who arent in the raid, even raid2 cant bid on raid1 stuff. that would cut a littttle of the bs down - just straight up do the bids in /rs right there.

when you have the loot not being bid on for a few days you have people who can find a buyer outside of the guild. at least if items are auctioned off asap you cut a litttle bit of that out

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It sounds like the problems are all about leeches being carried. So you have raid leaders cut a lot of fat and bench people who show up without gear and/or not paying attention. Now your loot per person goes up and the resentment hopefully goes down.

That's a lot of work for the officers though. The current tlp model is to not really do that shit until ldon at the earliest, maybe late gates.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Oh, without a doubt there's a bunch of degenerate deadbeats willing to drop $100-$300 on the Paladin epic or a bunch of nerds with enough disposable income that don't want the hassle (I'd honestly consider doing it for my Pally when he hits 60, if I could get it for $100 or so).

I'm just calling into question how prevalent the true "kronolords" are that are making north of 100k/year off a 22 year old game. That's the only thing I'm casting serious doubt on. I think at "best", most of your "serious" RMTers are lucky to be pulling around a McDonald's wage each TLP (we know they aren't making this kind of cash on live). The rest are degens who need to float some cash for groceries that month because they spent their unemployment on weed and then you have some dudes that are like, "Eh, I've got 30 krono here that I ain't doing shit with and haven't touched in over a month, I guess I'll get some free groceries this month". I mean, the guys you described making 1000+ krono a year seem extremely, extremely limited. So much so that pretty much all of them are "famous".

Im not even remotely close to an eq whale and I probably buy 50kr or so per server I play for fucks and giggles. Multiply that by 20 (pretty feasible) and you get 1000. Most of these guys have long time relationships with guys like me, I have about 3 guys I buy shit from when I feel like it.

I would be willing to bet there are at least 100 like me in every server- and then a long tail of shortened purchasers and a few (maybe 10-20) that do 300-500kr of purchasing per server.

I’ve literally gone and bought 10kr before just to have some pocket change for buying invis pots and misc. resist gear etc back in the older tlps before they started bugging out the dragons.

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider

Tubbins on mangler was easily clearing 100-200 Krono per time clear for a while. The first dark blade went for 50+ krono as did the first songblade. The dude automated a raid army from velious to dragons of norrath and then moved on to other servers. He absolutely made over a thousand Kronos a year and quite a bit over that.

Not that i disagree with people being able to pull in 2-5k a month from RMT in EQ. But, I highly doubt anything this guy was saying is true. You can get entire well geared toons for the prices he was asking on singular items. Sometimes people will pay absurd prices for an item, but that's more of an aberration.

• 1Like