EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Needless

Toe Sucker
I feel like back in the actual era of velious not as many enchanters were carrying dps via charming in my experience on Veeshan, and the mobs in velks had pretty high health - specially around the castle so it kind of warded people away from the zone until pop+

I could be smoking crack though

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Outdoor spots were so popular because dying didn't mean much other than running back. Back in the day, dying when you were deep in a dungeon was a massive pain in the ass and even worse if you couldn't find a necro to summon your body. Now that you respawn with all your gear, people are more apt to grind dungeons because a death doesn't matter much.
Good point--that reminds me, at least on Xegony Chardok was almost never an XP site in era that I remember. I think Chardok got revamped at some point as well and before that it wasn't a great zone. People used to go in there for specific reasons, and usually if they wiped getting back in was a nightmare. I remember several times being paid a good amount of plat as a Necro to hoof it out to Chardok and corpse summon groups that died deep in and couldn't get their corpses back, and they were usually the only group in zone when this would occur.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I feel like back in the actual era of velious not as many enchanters were carrying dps via charming in my experience on Veeshan, and the mobs in velks had pretty high health - specially around the castle so it kind of warded people away from the zone until pop+

Charming was less common for sure, some game changes since then have made charming safer, but the bigger issue I think ties into the thing Kirun was saying as to why people used to do XP groups in Dreadlands. Toleerance for risk was much lower in old EQ, the player base in general was much worse due to lack of tribal knowledge and etc, and old corpse runs with a group of bads was a nightmare scenario so a lot of groups avoided situations that could lead to that. At least in the Necro community when I started being active on the Necro forums and later the in game Necro channel when they introduced the universal chat system, most of the good gamer types were charming heavily, but a lot of the masses were not.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Morrow

Trakanon Raider

It was absolutely rare, and not just on Veeshan. That said, there were a few Enchanters that would charm. In fact, the kobolds in Velks is what started my original main group of friends to start charming, because they just worked so well as pets with the ridiculous hp pool and would CH themselves. And by PoP, we were charming all the time. I remember I realized Askr the Lost in BoT had an insane hp pool and we'd charm him and do the tower lords. I think that was actually with Ravvenn when she was not yet in FoH lol. I also charmed on my Bard if I was in a strong seb group, until my mana pool was empty.

There were certainly no charm soloing lower guk in classic tho. Not like there is now. But there were smart enchanters that did use it in really good groups.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
What's happening, for those of us not playing? Zaide split off and is going back to regular dkp?

Yes, Zaide and like 100 folks or so left FXIV and made a DKP guild - The Faceless.

Last night The Faceless batphoned VS and got there first and was getting ready in the pit when Krims and Kegadin pulled VS to wipe them and wiped part of FXIV, but had more people coming FXIV got it.

• 1Weird Boner

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, training shit is so faggy. I wish competition was more than who can train the best (pretty much anytime you'd do OW on mangler you had to account for vicious' warp trains).

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>

I don't think I ever saw a group at castle experiencing in original at any expansion. Closest to it was occasionally a I'd be in a really strong drolg's group that'd pull a couple extra from there. Having enchanters that charmed was also not that common, but was definitely a thing that happened enough that it wasn't rare.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Charming was less common for sure, some game changes since then have made charming safer, but the bigger issue I think ties into the thing Kirun was saying as to why people used to do XP groups in Dreadlands. Toleerance for risk was much lower in old EQ, the player base in general was much worse due to lack of tribal knowledge and etc, and old corpse runs with a group of bads was a nightmare scenario so a lot of groups avoided situations that could lead to that. At least in the Necro community when I started being active on the Necro forums and later the in game Necro channel when they introduced the universal chat system, most of the good gamer types were charming heavily, but a lot of the masses were not.

Dreadlands and OT are super popular on Mischief ATM, to the point there is always a pick open of both. Nobody plays chanters anymore so zones with easy single pulls and open space to root park is becoming somewhat meta again.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I don't think I ever saw a group at castle experiencing in original at any expansion. Closest to it was occasionally a I'd be in a really strong drolg's group that'd pull a couple extra from there. Having enchanters that charmed was also not that common, but was definitely a thing that happened enough that it wasn't rare.
Yeah, other than statics, people never fucking did castle in a PUG in Velk's. At least, not in era. Once PoP hit and people overgeared it maybe, but not during SoV.

Enchanter charming was rare as shit on EMarr, in my experience. It started to become more common amongst PUGs around PoP, but prior to that, I almost never remember seeing an enchanter charm in a PUG. Once a camp was split and the puller could reliably get single or duo pulls, the enchanter was practically useless. You could literally afk for 30 mins, come back to pass out clarity/haste, then afk again. Chanters are such dogshit without charm.
Good point--that reminds me, at least on Xegony Chardok was almost never an XP site in era that I remember. I think Chardok got revamped at some point as well and before that it wasn't a great zone. People used to go in there for specific reasons, and usually if they wiped getting back in was a nightmare. I remember several times being paid a good amount of plat as a Necro to hoof it out to Chardok and corpse summon groups that died deep in and couldn't get their corpses back, and they were usually the only group in zone when this would occur.
Yup, exp groups almost never went to Chardok on Emarr. Occasionally your group would do the entrance if Seb was camped to absolute shit, but that's about as deep as most groups were willing to delve. Pathing, pulling, etc. was a nightmare for PUGs back in era and the ZEM wasn't all that hot then.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Yup, exp groups almost never went to Chardok on Emarr. Occasionally your group would do the entrance if Seb was camped to absolute shit, but that's about as deep as most groups were willing to delve. Pathing, pulling, etc. was a nightmare for PUGs back in era and the ZEM wasn't all that hot then.
There was a 6-boxer that practically lived in the chardok pit camp on emarr, forget his name, but he was there for years, probably up to pop. And yea, most of the charm enchanters I grouped with were guildies. For the most part, the chanter was that guy you just had to put up with in your group, because the net gain of clarity, haste and the need to break a camp outweighed the negative of otherwise being a useless lump in the group. Every now and then I'd meet a wild enchanter that wasn't useless, though.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
There was a 6-boxer that practically lived in the chardok pit camp on emarr, forget his name, but he was there for years, probably up to pop. And yea, most of the charm enchanters I grouped with were guildies. For the most part, the chanter was that guy you just had to put up with in your group, because the net gain of clarity, haste and the need to break a camp outweighed the negative of otherwise being a useless lump in the group. Every now and then I'd meet a wild enchanter that wasn't useless, though.
The chanter was somebody we put up with until they implemented /melody and Bards started providing 100x better ADPS/regen, etc. Prior to melody, basically nobody played bards. Pretty much every bard that made it past level 35 was in a raiding guild, that's how rare they were. I'll take an afk bard 1000x over an afk enchanter.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Yeah i dont think ive seen anybody up there either tbh, i dont think anything beyond people at the entrance, or frenzy was a thing back then lol

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yes, Zaide and like 100 folks or so left FXIV and made a DKP guild - The Faceless.

Last night The Faceless batphoned VS and got there first and was getting ready in the pit when Krims and Kegadin pulled VS to wipe them and wiped part of FXIV, but had more people coming FXIV got it.

Well rule #1 for VS if you're going to kill it in the pit is to not jump in until you are ready to kill it. Rule #2 for VS is why are you killing it in the pit? Whoever is batphoning should send the batphone then immediately start pulling it to the zone in. It takes about 2 minutes to pull VS to the zone in and your raid should be there by then. If they are being super slow you can always just strafe kite at the bridge while you build aggro and wait for a tank and a few clerics.

Either way, how does a raid wipe to VS even if someone else pulls it early anyway? It's not an AE boss. There's typically only 3 scenarios that can happen if you are prepping for VS in the pit and someone trains it on you.
A: Have an SK tag it and just kite it around the pit until you are ready to engage.
B: You did scenario A but then training guild notices this so tries to put it in to summon range, in which case you just have your raid leave through the door and let it kill them.
C: Your raid leaders panic and your raid jumps on it and by some miracle you manage to wipe to it.

I can't really think of a single raid mob Cassic-GoD that if trained on you would result in a wipe as long as you had good raid leaders and a raid that listens.

Last edited:
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 1 users

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
We had AOE groups in Chardok in Kunark, while in Kunark, but it was rare/elite and it was only for 2 Wizards, 1 Cleric, 2 Enchanters and 1 puller.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I can't really think of a single raid mob Cassic-GoD that if trained on you would result in a wipe as long as you had good raid leaders and a raid that listens.
Oh, come on dude. Your zaide hate leads to silly hyperbole. VS seems like one you shouldn't wipe on and plenty can be mitigated but raids can be wiped, especially if the trainer is warping. You really think no one could wipe a raid in txevu if you were leading?

Vindicator

Bronze Squire
On Xegony, Chardok was an XP site for AOE groups early on.

Atabishi

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, come on dude. Your zaide hate leads to silly hyperbole. VS seems like one you shouldn't wipe on and plenty can be mitigated but raids can be wiped, especially if the trainer is warping. You really think no one could wipe a raid in txevu if you were leading?

I mean I've said this exact response nearly word for word on every server when VS training gets brought up lol. It's almost a tradition at this point. I said it on mangler. I said it on Aradune, and I'm saying it now for the mischief people lol. VS training seems to happen on every TLP and it's definitely one that specifically just blows my mind that a raid would be effected by it.

I also said training a raid boss, as in singular...one mob. Training a bunch of high lvl trash along with the raid mob especially in a tight space is something completely different.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Galaxy Brain
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Faceless had a split, huh.

So now the top two guilds on Mischief are Faceless competing against itself, basically?

• 3Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1NPC
Reactions: 5 users