EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Can't say we ever had significant problems with the tacvi trash. Occasionally the flurry ones would delete a tank but there were never problems on incoming.
I really can't ever remember it being a wipe or truly a problem in that sense. I just remember as a tank that I'd be face to face with a npc that could delete me far more often than I had the cool downs to deal with it. Especially when it was someone elses job to take lead and they forgot to disc . Pretty sure the majority of DPS were busy masturbating and barely noticed.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The elite mastrug bezerker that you have to clear in the beginning hits like a truck.

I think EQ'S devs put that thing there to shock people who aren't expecting it. So you roll in there ready to clear some trash and then you have the first thing you pull plowing through everybody. Then everyone sits around recovering and you're like "if the first mob was THAT bad, how bad is the rest of the zone?"

At least, I think that was the intent. Course, once you're wise to Tacvi's tricks there's a method to it.

Edit: If anyone thinks I'm saying I've wiped to these things, I haven't. It's just speculation on what happens to a lot of guilds the very first time they roll in there if they aren't expecting boss-level trash. I bet a lot of the early guilds had this kind of shock. Or maybe not because circa 2004 they were probably used to GoD throwing ludicrous-DPS mobs at them out of nowhere.

Last edited:

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think EQ'S devs put that thing there to shock people who aren't expecting it. So you roll in there ready to clear some trash and then you have the first thing you pull plowing through everybody. Then everyone sits around recovering and you're like "if the first mob was THAT bad, how bad is the rest of the zone?"

At least, I think that was the intent. Course, once you're wise to Tacvi's tricks there's a method to it.

Edit: If anyone thinks I'm saying I've wiped to these things, I haven't. It's just speculation on what happens to a lot of guilds the very first time they roll in there if they aren't expecting boss-level trash. I bet a lot of the early guilds had this kind of shock. Or maybe not because circa 2004 they were probably used to GoD throwing ludicrous-DPS mobs at them out of nowhere.
You give them far more credit than they deserve.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
18 person Timeb and later content just put EQ players in their place and it's hilarious to watch players that thought they'd win on numbers alone die repeatedly. They were having such a great time zerging till they couldn't because content design direction had taken a 180 turn on zerging feasibility.

18 years later, that same content is having the same effect repeatedly and it's even easier this time. Too funny.

If there's one thing Daybreak is good at maintaining, it's the act of melting the brains of the people who play their games, due to keeping large parts of the human brain unused during 95% of gameplay in early EQ until GoD.

I love the mindless zerg action, but, fuck man, it's easy to see why the game died after GoD. It was a huge change for players then, and continues to be.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Next server (Call it the anti zerg server or something)

• Mangler experience
  • Starts in Kunark
  • 3 month release schedule
  • Truebox
  • FV loot (not random, no bonus)
  • All open world bosses are removed
  • All 72 man DZs are now 48 man max

• 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 user

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Next server (Call it the anti zerg server or something)

• Mangler experience
  • Starts in Kunark
  • 3 month release schedule
  • Truebox
  • FV loot (not random, no bonus)
  • All open world bosses are removed
  • All 72 man DZs are now 48 man max

Instead of open world removed, I'd like the opposite approach. All raid mobs respawn at the exact same time(s). So you get that "expac launch" experience of trying to rush mobs and sneak ones depending on your guild's position. It can be as simple as every tuesday at 6pst and every saturday at 1pst all raid mobs respawn; no other times.

3 month release is boring. Servers always get dull near the end and pick back up. People roll into the next ones so fully decked that theres usually zero buildup to beating it until like HoT or something; you just plow with your overgeared (for how it was originally designed) characters. Drop unlocks to 1 month until SoF and tell people who don't get everything they want that it's still there and they can go back for it, they should NOT be "done" an expansion BEFORE the next one.

Last but not least, and nothing personal, but ban everyone who "plays" like you.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you wipe when two warriors get insta-deleted you're doing it wrong. Or they don't deserve to be main tanks.

On Mangler in that era, pretty sure we were 3-splitting all content because we consistently had 8 warriors, 9 SK's and 4 paladins, so tanks were NOT an issue. Nothing was an issue actually. We filled up 3 split raids with 10-20 mains and the rest alts.

But then again, we had quality people ;)

Looking back to live when GoD launched originally, we didn't have those kind of problems in Tide on Venril Sathir either.

Xevy

Log Wizard
If you wipe when two warriors get insta-deleted you're doing it wrong. Or they don't deserve to be main tanks.

On Mangler in that era, pretty sure we were 3-splitting all content because we consistently had 8 warriors, 9 SK's and 4 paladins, so tanks were NOT an issue. Nothing was an issue actually. We filled up 3 split raids with 10-20 mains and the rest alts.

But then again, we had quality people ;)

Looking back to live when GoD launched originally, we didn't have those kind of problems in Tide on Venril Sathir either.
Your guild was bad. :(

Louis

Trakanon Raider
3 month release is boring. Servers always get dull near the end and pick back up. People roll into the next ones so fully decked that theres usually zero buildup to beating it until like HoT or something; you just plow with your overgeared (for how it was originally designed) characters. Drop unlocks to 1 month until SoF and tell people who don't get everything they want that it's still there and they can go back for it, they should NOT be "done" an expansion BEFORE the next one.
I dont understand their love for 3 month lockouts from a business perspective either. You would think they would want to "rush" through them in order to maximize cash shop purchases while you have a subscriber's interest.

Completely anecdotal, but month 2 to month 3 usually causes the most turnover as people are bis'd with nothing to do. Sure some come back, but theres definitely a bunch that never do as their attention gets pulled by other games in the meantime.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
In my experience any time someone is gone for two weeks or more they don’t come back to regular play for a long time or until the next server.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
In my experience any time someone is gone for two weeks or more they don’t come back to regular play for a long time or until the next server.

Only way I've found to avoid this is to find a team that only raids twice a week. The loot rules here has been an amazing experience for our playstyle.