EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's maybe slightly possibly more interesting with the loot changes. One LDoN raid is going to yield what, 8-12 augments and you can run a shit ton of those dreadful things? The group content might even be alright. Might.
I'm actually somewhat excited for LDoN, purely because of random loot. I still am curious as hell to see how they're going to handle the "revamped" zones in terms of random loot. A lot of them wouldn't really share a loot pool except with themselves, no? Except for maybe the Kunark revamps, since a lot of stuff is in that 40-60 range. It'll be interesting doing a super easy dungeon like OS and getting revamped nurga/droga loot, where mobs are a much larger PITA.

I really think random loot has opened up the flood gates on fun factor. It's likely it taps into the same dopamine as gambling, thus making it addictive. Not too unlike all the GATCHA games for mobile and shit. I really considered switching to Rizlona because I think True Box is the most retarded shit ever that just keeps Kronolords fat, but the random loot always reminds me that I'd hate it now.

TL;DR - Random loot is the Redpill of EQ. I can't ever go back now that I've seen what I've seen.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I'm actually somewhat excited for LDoN, purely because of random loot. I still am curious as hell to see how they're going to handle the "revamped" zones in terms of random loot. A lot of them wouldn't really share a loot pool except with themselves, no? Except for maybe the Kunark revamps, since a lot of stuff is in that 40-60 range. It'll be interesting doing a super easy dungeon like OS and getting revamped nurga/droga loot, where mobs are a much larger PITA.

I really think random loot has opened up the flood gates on fun factor. It's likely it taps into the same dopamine as gambling, thus making it addictive. Not too unlike all the GATCHA games for mobile and shit. I really considered switching to Rizlona because I think True Box is the most retarded shit ever that just keeps Kronolords fat, but the random loot always reminds me that I'd hate it now.

TL;DR - Random loot is the Redpill of EQ. I can't ever go back now that I've seen what I've seen.
If they go back to a normie rule set for the next batch of tlps like most think they will I will enjoy watching it fail bigly. That failure will hopefully lead to a swing of the pendulum in the opposite direction of custom rule sets going forward.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If they go back to a normie rule set for the next batch of tlps like most think they will I will enjoy watching it fail bigly. That failure will hopefully lead to a swing of the pendulum in the opposite direction of custom rule sets going forward.

If they want dollars one of the two servers they typically launch should be Mischief plus full boxing. I think a lot of people would jump all over that.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now, was mischief a success because it had never been done before, or because they got more people? What I consider success may not be a success to DBG. They also released thorninmyside which is kinda dead ATM. And, if they release the same kinda server next May 26th, with one like mischief already dead, will that new server do well, or will everyone continue to stay on Mischief. So releasing a new server is kinda silly at this point, and they will probably merge the two servers next June. They kinda fucked themselves with Mischief, they should have done tradeable loot OR Random loot, then they could of done the other next year. Now they have to come up with a gimmick to hook the players, and I have no clue what they would do with the limited tool box they have to work with other than getting rid of truebox on a mischief type server.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now, was mischief a success because it had never been done before, or because they got more people? What I consider success may not be a success to DBG. They also released thorninmyside which is kinda dead ATM. And, if they release the same kinda server next May 26th, with one like mischief already dead, will that new server do well, or will everyone continue to stay on Mischief. So releasing a new server is kinda silly at this point, and they will probably merge the two servers next June. They kinda fucked themselves with Mischief, they should have done tradeable loot OR Random loot, then they could of done the other next year. Now they have to come up with a gimmick to hook the players, and I have no clue what they would do with the limited tool box they have to work with other than getting rid of truebox on a mischief type server.

I love the mischief ruleset, i hope the next servers has FV as the core ruleset with some other changes would make it successful. Even FV with no random loot or bonus loot would be far more successful than just a normal ruleset.

However, lets not go crazy. Mangler had a high average population (not by much) 6 months in compared to Mischief and Thornblade combined.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'd love to see them do a TSS start, or even a Selo's rapid unlocks, starting in Luclin. They'd have to do random loot or free trade loot and drop True Box for me to even consider dropping Mischief though.

No chance I start again on a non-bazaar server though. Fuck EC Tunnel in its ass.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think there is a significant subset of EQ players who will not try something new. Any rules that change core EQ mean an automatic pass from these players. For that reason appropriately timed Phinny clones will always be a moderate success at least while custom or unique servers even when well executed will fight an uphill battle.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I think there is a significant subset of EQ players who will not try something new. Any rules that change core EQ mean an automatic pass from these players. For that reason appropriately timed Phinny clones will always be a moderate success at least while custom or unique servers even when well executed will fight an uphill battle.
Yeah, I just wish those people would stay on P99 or the other "classic" emus and fuck off. Go relive the glory days over and over to your heart's content and allow EQ to get out from under the yoke of classic+kunark+velious.

These are the same people who got stupid bullshit like true box enabled in the first place.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Something like Beastlords/Berserkers from day one is a popular idea that would make a classic start more bearable.

Still can't imagine going away from the Mischief loot rules, though. Would imagine that would be a staple from here on out.

Foaming

Lord Nagafen Raider
I keep saying random loot rules wouldn't be nearly as "fun" without the increased drops. It is never mentioned but folks LOVE loot showers.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I keep saying random loot rules wouldn't be nearly as "fun" without the increased drops. It is never mentioned but folks LOVE loot showers.

One of the things that kept me from ever getting hooked by WoW Classic was the era appropriate amount of raid loot.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I'm not denying that the "bonus" loot isn't a slight part of the fun, but I'd honestly easily give that up just for the dopamine rush that random brings.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I love the rush of seeing what drops but without the extra loot, I know I would get really frustrated camping certain things, especially items I wasn't able to get in era.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I'd personally rank it free trade, random tables, and finally bonus loot on importance of what makes this server fun.

With 1 and 2 month expansion unlocks the bonus is somewhat needed although you do end up with more loot than a normal drop rate/unlock schedule. With Rng involved on how many tables get rolled per mob it's really impossible for them to balance it correctly although they seem to have it more dialed in at this point. During server launch it was out of control.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I'd personally rank it free trade, random tables, and finally bonus loot on importance of what makes this server fun.

With 1 and 2 month expansion unlocks the bonus is somewhat needed although you do end up with more loot than a normal drop rate/unlock schedule. With Rng involved on how many tables get rolled per mob it's really impossible for them to balance it correctly although they seem to have it more dialed in at this point. During server launch it was out of control.

Free trade 3 month unlocks mangler rules for everything else would be a somewhat popular next server.