EQ TLP - Mischief (Free Trade / Random Loot)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Zaide Zaide Listening to the Miragul Dramaquest (maybe DQ should have it's own thread?)

I think it would have kicked ass if we got a necromancy-themed expansion with Miragul, Mayong, and Venril teaming up as some kind of unholy trio. This hypothetical expansion could expand on the Miragul's Highway idea and involve a lot of teleports and underworld caverns around the world.

IIRC they kind of teased something vaguely similar to this in DoN and DoDH with evil necromantic forces afoot, cursing the dragon nest and turning Darkhollow upside down. I vaguely remember player rumors that Venril was involved.

Later on they brought back Miragul in House of Thule and Venril in Empires of Kunark but I don't know how canon I consider either of those to the early eras. They both kinda just came back to be fodder raids IMO.
As a kid, during the early expansions up to POP (as thats when I stopped, and even stop TLP's if I do play), I always wanted them to do more with secret teleports like the pots, and broken druid rings, and buried wizard towers and all that stuff. I vaguely remember walking up to the Wizard tower, I think it was.. Greater Faydark? Where I had no clue what it was at that point, it was just that "hum" ... that set the stage for me as a kid. I would have much rather have seen something more along the lines of that, then what eventually came out as Plane of Knowledge. Luclin started the difference in lighting, architecture, and higher polygon counts, but it was POK in particular that not only looked vastly different than the rest of the game, but also changed the way the rest of the game played as well. Was not a fan then, and still not a fan now.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Zaide Zaide Listening to the Miragul Dramaquest (maybe DQ should have it's own thread?)

I think it would have kicked ass if we got a necromancy-themed expansion with Miragul, Mayong, and Venril teaming up as some kind of unholy trio. This hypothetical expansion could expand on the Miragul's Highway idea and involve a lot of teleports and underworld caverns around the world.

IIRC they kind of teased something vaguely similar to this in DoN and DoDH with evil necromantic forces afoot, cursing the dragon nest and turning Darkhollow upside down. I vaguely remember player rumors that Venril was involved.

Later on they brought back Miragul in House of Thule and Venril in Empires of Kunark but I don't know how canon I consider either of those to the early eras. They both kinda just came back to be fodder raids IMO.
Venril was the person who put the curse on the nest that caused Vishimtar to become “fallen”. Finally got his revenge against the dragons.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Venril was the person who put the curse on the nest that caused Vishimtar to become “fallen”. Finally got his revenge against the dragons.

Nice, so it wasn't just a rumor. Too bad it didn't lead to anything with Venril in DoDH.

As a kid, during the early expansions up to POP (as thats when I stopped, and even stop TLP's if I do play), I always wanted them to do more with secret teleports like the pots, and broken druid rings, and buried wizard towers and all that stuff. I vaguely remember walking up to the Wizard tower, I think it was.. Greater Faydark? Where I had no clue what it was at that point, it was just that "hum" ... that set the stage for me as a kid. I would have much rather have seen something more along the lines of that, then what eventually came out as Plane of Knowledge. Luclin started the difference in lighting, architecture, and higher polygon counts, but it was POK in particular that not only looked vastly different than the rest of the game, but also changed the way the rest of the game played as well. Was not a fan then, and still not a fan now.

PoK is the very definition of adding something that actually shrinks the world. At least it's convenient, because by then I was pretty tired of running everywhere. It doesn't have any of the mystique of the teleports the game had previously though.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Everyone was fucking sick and tired of running across the world by the time POP came out. Shrinking all the n00b zones was definitely a blessing, not a curse. The xpacs after that were smart and mostly self contained with ties to/from POK or POK adjacent zones, then at most 4-5 zones out.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I do have some weird nostalgia for my very first trek through High Pass and into the Karanas and exploring those vast zones. But overall it does end up being a lot of empty and mostly useless space.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I've never EXP'd in Highpass or Highkeep. Part of why I want to do a "scenic route static" in the next TLP. Get to 50 a day later than all the other power groups, but see some cool stuff along the way instead of just doing optimal routes.

• 1Like

Daidraco

I think a lot of the problems people had with walking back in the day is that they just didnt have the clickies that would help them traverse the world. Much less do a lot of people, even to this day, know how each zone connects. Nothing like being an officer, calling a raid target and watching specific integral people take the fucking longest path to that raid boss. Like, why did you go that way? Instead of going through all 5 zones, you could have went through 2? But nope - its not worth it to say anything cause people get their fucking panties in a wad too easily.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I think a lot of the problems people had with walking back in the day is that they just didnt have the clickies that would help them traverse the world. Much less do a lot of people, even to this day, know how each zone connects. Nothing like being an officer, calling a raid target and watching specific integral people take the fucking longest path to that raid boss. Like, why did you go that way? Instead of going through all 5 zones, you could have went through 2? But nope - its not worth it to say anything cause people get their fucking panties in a wad too easily.

My only issue with travel back in the day was being one of the 8 or so classes without any runspeed enhancement. Had to creep across the Karanas or Commonlands with your head on a swivel, and if anything ever aggro'd you it'd just slowly beat you to death.

To this day I have a soft spot for Shaman and Druid just because they could actually outrun things and solo. Never played Cleric. Don't they have a Snare necklace? That plus JBoots and I wonder how their soloing would compare to Druid/Shaman. Probably not very well but definitely doable.

Was a game-changer when I discovered that diagonal strafe-running, with the occasional jump, actually gained you distance on a normal-runspeed enemy. They'd still be right behind you, but you could get out of their hit range and actually escape. Game got exponentially more enjoyable after that.

Madmartigan

Trakanon Raider
RIP Mischief economy, from over a dozen vendors in the bazaar selling 10+ krono a piece in the 1.7M range to this in 3 days. 50+ krono bazaar buyout within a couple hours last night.

1708812225818.png

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Prices were 1.7-1.8ish during most of UF, spiked to 2mil just as HOT came out, then went back down to 1.7 after a week. Spiked back to 2mil a day or two ago. Hopefully it'll come back down with some time, daddy has a lot of plat I need to offload.

Xevy

Log Wizard
There's probably going to be a spike as new TLP rulesets are announced. People love to stock up Krono for their 4kr GEBS and shit.

• 1Like

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
The plat economy is so messed up on every eq server buy multiple dupes and exploits somewhat recently they should really considering a one time wipe of all plat on all servers... I know they will never do this but it would go a long ways in solving the issues of the exploits.

Since I know they will never do the above they should really focus on fixing the 2 million plat limit in the bazaar.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Never played Cleric. Don't they have a Snare necklace? That plus JBoots and I wonder how their soloing would compare to Druid/Shaman. Probably not very well but definitely doable.
I didn't main a CLR until the TLP era, but CLR soloing "was a thing" in old era EQ, it typically took a few different forms:

• Stun / Nuke - Particularly effective against undead since CLR magic nukes were relatively poor dpm, but cycling stuns and nukes they could mostly stun lock a mob and nuke it to death. Then AFK 5 minutes to meditate.
  • Root / Nuke - Similar to above but using root instead of stun, for this strategy the snare necklace was nice for kiting root breaks--note that only Innoruuk CLR get the snare necklace AFAIK
  • Ghetto Paladin - Mostly just against undead, if you had decent gear you could keep up the CLR self buffs like Yaulp (minor str buff in old eras), use the summoned undead bane hammer and melee weaker con undeads, occasionally nuking them or healing yourself as necessary. This evolved in later eras because they boosted Yaulp to have a haste and added some self buffs that gave you the ability to proc whilst meleeing. Obviously at no point in time has CLR soloing been good, but in like the House of Thule era they had a unique combination of self bufffs and proc abilities that they could swarm pull and kill lots of lower con mobs at once for decent XP, this got nerfed at some point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
note that only Innoruuk CLR get the snare necklace AFAIK

Good to know, that's a huge detail.

When I played other people's level 40+ clerics on 50-capped TLPs a couple times, I remember going full Ghetto Paladin route and could stand and bang with pretty much anything in Lower Guk if the fights were one-on-one. Two-on-one I'd need to back one off with root. Also I'd wager that a 45 cleric with full mana would easily out-DPS a 45 paladin with full mana against undead foes, so maybe the paladin is actually a Ghetto Cleric.

Was dead-set on SK or paladin for the next TLP but maybe I go Battle Cleric.

House of Thule era they had a unique combination of self bufffs and proc abilities that they could swarm pull and kill lots of lower con mobs at once for decent XP, this got nerfed at some point.

Kind of a bummer how every good swarming strat gets nerfed. Few things have the rush that swarming does. I got to do some Bard swarming during Veil of Alaris era before it got nerfed, kiting like 40 mobs at once (whatever the max I could get to before the framerate started to drop and affect my spacial reasoning). Nothing was a rush like that. Would have other characters just sitting there in group getting like 20 AAs every pull while I played chicken with the mob swarm and threw Vainglorious Shout at them. If they even slightly caught up I was insta-dead.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
People are now buying krono at 2.5M-3M in /auc in Mischief... think something might be broke?
That big of a spike? Suinegger pissing in the pool again or someone else with a lot of duped plat seems plausible. Or we are just on track to catch up to FV economy. Kr were well past 2m plat in SoD there.

yerm

I didn't main a CLR until the TLP era, but CLR soloing "was a thing" in old era EQ, it typically took a few different forms:

• Stun / Nuke - Particularly effective against undead since CLR magic nukes were relatively poor dpm, but cycling stuns and nukes they could mostly stun lock a mob and nuke it to death. Then AFK 5 minutes to meditate.
  • Root / Nuke - Similar to above but using root instead of stun, for this strategy the snare necklace was nice for kiting root breaks--note that only Innoruuk CLR get the snare necklace AFAIK
  • Ghetto Paladin - Mostly just against undead, if you had decent gear you could keep up the CLR self buffs like Yaulp (minor str buff in old eras), use the summoned undead bane hammer and melee weaker con undeads, occasionally nuking them or healing yourself as necessary. This evolved in later eras because they boosted Yaulp to have a haste and added some self buffs that gave you the ability to proc whilst meleeing. Obviously at no point in time has CLR soloing been good, but in like the House of Thule era they had a unique combination of self bufffs and proc abilities that they could swarm pull and kill lots of lower con mobs at once for decent XP, this got nerfed at some point.

The only efficient way to solo as a cleric was to basically tank tons of shitty mobs and have your self buff that procs damage when hit smashing them. This was introduced in don first I think? Before then, theres really never a good way to solo. They nerfed it at some point to have a proc limit, which didnt hurt xp soloing too much but really shit on mass ae farming with it.

With I wanna say tss you get the vow line that lets you proc a fat damage nuke and a big heal over time via melee, at the cost of healing way less. With this you can sorta do heavier mobs, and with a da hammer and cheesy tactics you can actually solo big trophy fights like velious bosses and shit. For xp you're still gonna lean on the porcupine tactic but you now do it a bit better with added melee and the hot proc.

Madmartigan

Trakanon Raider
Prices were 1.7-1.8ish during most of UF, spiked to 2mil just as HOT came out, then went back down to 1.7 after a week. Spiked back to 2mil a day or two ago. Hopefully it'll come back down with some time, daddy has a lot of plat I need to offload.

The irony is the people who decided to buyout all krono in the bazaar causing the new price of krono to be 2.5M, completely screwed themselves over in the future. They no longer have the luxury of buying krono in the bazaar as it is now priced well out of what the bazaar allows. They now either have to sit in chat channels with "/auc WTB Krono 2.5M" or pray someone selling decides to barter to their 2M buyer, which is one of a dozen buying 200+ krono. Funny where greed gets ya!

• 1Truth!