EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
GDKP without guardrails was a disaster, but I'm sure they've refined it a bit so it's less about a handful of people just scooping up everything to immediately resell for modest margins. Early on in the server the whole idea behind GDKP just became worthless to me because why would I pay like 10% under market for and upgrade that I know I'll lose money on when I upgrade that piece later? That just seems dumb to me because a better use of my time would be just small manning shit with friends after DKP raids.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
What's the metagame for making kroners in a GiG / Mischief type GDKP scenario?

Attend raids to collect the paycheck without bidding on anything you don't have to?

Bid on things and sell them in EC instead of equipping them, like a prick?

Bid normally and get your gear upgraded, going for BIS if possible, and sell your old gear on the open market for more than you paid for it, since most of the server won't have the same access to that level of gear?

Offload no-longer-needed gear as quick as possible while it still retains value?

I feel like there are likely a number of viable strategies for getting ahead in this scenario and it's probably a lot of fun to game out. GDKP is much more tangible than sitting on a pile of DKP.
All of this was done. Guild rules and restrictions changed over time though to prevent such a massive outflow of gear, such as a requirement to be at the raid to bid on the drop.

Once those restrictions came in, buying in guild became a lot more financially viable compared to the open market (overall). It seems like most of the biggest resellers weren't really interested in attending a lot of raids, especially DZ ones (presumably because they wanted to do the DZ themselves and there's only so much time in the day).

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I think a big issue it faced was the sort of players who play in those early eras. I would imagine even a FFA GDKP system now would be fine in Treasures because the people still there in TBS care about the guild and aren't there just to pocket some quick krono.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
What's the metagame for making kroners in a GiG / Mischief type GDKP scenario?

Attend raids to collect the paycheck without bidding on anything you don't have to?

Bid on things and sell them in EC instead of equipping them, like a prick?

Bid normally and get your gear upgraded, going for BIS if possible, and sell your old gear on the open market for more than you paid for it, since most of the server won't have the same access to that level of gear?

Offload no-longer-needed gear as quick as possible while it still retains value?

I feel like there are likely a number of viable strategies for getting ahead in this scenario and it's probably a lot of fun to game out. GDKP is much more tangible than sitting on a pile of DKP.

I spent a bit of time thinking about this stuff prior to Mischief launch and came to the decision that playing a Druid was the way to go.

Underplayed main on raids so low competition on gear.

Low expectations, nobody expects you to top a heal parse or a dps parse, no pulling or tanking, just need to do the buffs and debuffs (rarely hear anyone complain that the Druids debuffs aren't on) that people expect and port when needed and not be a complete sperg. You could easily coast on previous expac raid gear and maybe a few class specific current era upgrades.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
The only EQ player I remember named Kamur was some shitter Cleric that got booted from the most casual guild on Coirnav because he couldn't do basic shit like send a tell to the raid leader for an invite, or say the correct words to an AoC when he did finally get invited.

He then spent 2 or 3 days bitching in PoK /ooc and /general sparking the mock hashtag #JusticeforKamur

If it was that guy, I'd be pressing the x for doubt so hard on him correctly recalling details on alleged seal encounters.

*Anecdote the guy that kicked him went on to be the guy named Brotato on Mangler but that's a different story.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I spent a bit of time thinking about this stuff prior to Mischief launch and came to the decision that playing a Druid was the way to go.

Low expectations, nobody expects you to top a heal parse or a dps parse, no pulling or tanking, just need to do the buffs and debuffs (rarely hear anyone complain that the Druids debuffs aren't on) that people expect and port when needed and not be a complete sperg. You could easily coast on previous expac raid gear and maybe a few class specific current era upgrades.
That just seems so much worse than getting an actual job though...

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
That just seems so much worse than getting an actual job though...

Nobody's talking about doing this as a replacement for a job. Not sure why somebody always makes that assumption whenever "best way to make lots of kronos" comes up in discussion on here.

It's more about how can one most effectively get their kroner number up in a scenario like GiG/Mischief while not being a total shitter. Presumably they also still have their day job and get laid and drive a sports car and all that stuff cool people do, as well as being able to function in EQ on the evenings that they play it.

While this post reads a lot like "how to be lazy and not have anyone notice", I think you've got the right idea with Druid being able to get by on less gear or min/maxing (and thus have more room for making the phat staxx (tm) from whatever you're getting on raids.

Personally I've always kinda had a bone to pick with Druids though, never really played one except getting one to 60 for the fun of it and never playing it again on some TLP somewhere. I think I just have residual resentment against them from when I was a rogue in original classic and had to watch druids quadding things while I had to run away from green-cons. There were also like a zillion of them, everywhere. And to add insult to injury, the droods were constantly dropping their foragings on the ground so it looked like these wolves were leaving drood turds all over the place.

Fuckin' druid turds

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Druids are a great class. Their buffs are tragically underrated. Come PoP they have so much versatility.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If TLPs started velious or later, druids would be S tier for leveling. Alas. I think they're easily the most underrated class out there.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Druids are a great class. Their buffs are tragically underrated. Come PoP they have so much versatility.

Not everyone goes to Sky at 60 but the griffons they can charm combined with the pet haste spell that they get is pretty fucking crazy. They can also make good use of their charm in Chardok.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Spend the 3 minutes it takes to start your own group and its not a problem. Lots of people leveling atm, raising a few characters for the xp bonus since you can share gear.

What would have made this server a lot more appealing is if the exp bonus didn't reset soon as Kunark etc are out. Just a flat 10% more exp for every character you get to 50, up to 10 characters which is permanent double exp on the server.

Could even do it incrementally, like each character you max in classic is +2.5% exp (maximum of +25% for ten), then the same thing happens at 60 (+50%), 65 (+75%), and 70. So at 70 you get the full double exp from then on for the lifetime of the server, to encourage people to keep playing. Something like that would feel a lot less annoying than the level reset method, which means you never really get to "keep" your bonuses if you don't actually upkeep all of the characters.

Juvarisx

Florida
What would have made this server a lot more appealing is if the exp bonus didn't reset soon as Kunark etc are out. Just a flat 10% more exp for every character you get to 50, up to 10 characters which is permanent double exp on the server.

Could even do it incrementally, like each character you max in classic is +2.5% exp (maximum of +25% for ten), then the same thing happens at 60 (+50%), 65 (+75%), and 70. So at 70 you get the full double exp from then on for the lifetime of the server, to encourage people to keep playing. Something like that would feel a lot less annoying than the level reset method, which means you never really get to "keep" your bonuses if you don't actually upkeep all of the characters.

Agreed its not ideal, but really lvling to 60 isnt too bad and once you do it its solid till January 4th. The FAQ says it works on AA's so i'll just lvl my bard and chanter with their statics then the dru/shaman/cleric in pugs and decide if I want to go past that. Having a 50-100% bonus as Luclin hits would be ideal since they are also a 125% AA bonus on top of that and capping AA's out on mains would be nice. Plus can always use an xp pot on top of it.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Yeah they really should consider having the legacy bonus apply to the previous level cap, shit just give it to us for the first 2 weeks. But they probably won't. The 50-60 will be the roughest to catch your alts up but you get all of Kunark and Luclin to do that, then it's just 5 levels every 3rd expac or so.

This server is definitely not Mischief or Aradune (thanks to the scamdemic) levels of popularity though. Probably more like Coirnav.

Did anyone even bother to make a progression tracking site for this server? Even the Tlp-auctions guys considered not bothering.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't mind that the bonus doesn't apply to the previous cap. I mind that your first char only gets you 10%.

• 1Like