EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Yes, and they came here with a novel on how awesome they were for pulling it off and got roasted just like these tards
"roasted like just like these tards" - the ratman says behind the computer screen

ratman.png

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
To "win" Luclin you have to kill at least 2 Emperors just to get a large enough keyed force to kill AHR.
Huh? AHR is super easy and you can drop her with like 18 people first run. You aren’t some plebiscite that actually kills the trash in vex that? Lol. Like all the trash can be skipped, though sometimes it’s not bad to kill because there are some good drops.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
EG7’s Capital Market Brief today saw them discuss a return to the true spirit of EQ, with them being inspired by the success of FROM Software to start moving away from the push toward accessibility and moving back to the “original hardcore experience”.

Also discussion (brief) on new EQ in 2026 that would be “like the original” but is “not a remaster”.

• 5Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 6 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
EG7’s Capital Market Brief today saw them discuss a return to the true spirit of EQ, with them being inspired by the success of FROM Software to start moving away from the push toward accessibility and moving back to the “original hardcore experience”.

Also discussion (brief) on new EQ in 2026 that would be “like the original” but is “not a remaster”.
Don't give me hope.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xevy

Log Wizard
Feel like EQ was a product of it's era and if you made a game for teens and 20 somethings to poop sock now it'd involve a lot more busy work/daily chores and a lot less sitting and waiting for 22 minute spawns.

Don't think they're ever catching that lightning in a bottle, but if they had a more brutal sandbox style EQ I'd definitely give it a whirl.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Not sure how much of an audience that would have in this day and age of weak game design, but I'm down. Maybe thanks to From they actually would have an audience.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
Telling you right now that an eq like mmo that goes back to the semi old ways with some quality of life standards designed to work really well on shit like steamdeck does well.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Sounds like they're already further along than Pantheon

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Long spawns, super rare items, forced grouping to the point damn near no one can solo. Put out obviously over powered items at the beginning of the expansion and then stop them from dropping but leave the ones that dropped in the game untouched.

Unfortunately a lot of the things I loved about EQ they didn’t do intentionally, they Forrest Gump’d into the things I loved most about EQ. Staff of Temperate fluxing someone who has invis vs undead and it canceling it but not getting rid of the buff icon and causing trains. Having members of the group drop and leaving me with the afk FD SK Ranadin and porting him to hate with the /q bug in the last bubble of the spell cast sending the party member to hate leaving me behind and the player playing where’s my corpse for over a day. Saving all my mana on a boss that charms so I can Mana Burn Elidroth on the off chance he gets charmed. Suiciding with a mana stone when shit hit the fan because it had zero death penalty. Spoofing rolls, carrying the common item and speed looting the corpse and claiming the moonstone ring dropped again meanwhile I looted a FBSS. Having two accounts, one good guy and one guy that ran around being a complete heel kill stealing and trash talking people as I did it, hell I even argued with myself once almost felt like the WWE. One of my favorite things was I was super bored for a stretch in Veilous that I decided to do the Eyepatch of Plunder quest as my wizard and would just go up to melee and spam the spell haste clicky from it to piss them off.

Oh shit I also forgot about pulling the cord on your router and plugging it back in immediately running to a camp you ordinarily couldn’t get to while it rebooted I forget how many seconds you had before it booted you but it worked pretty well to get to plane of mischief and to set up COTH chains in Kael etc.

Sorry I went off on a tangent, fun times. I doubt any game is going to pull that shit off again.

• 1Slow

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Long spawns, super rare items, forced grouping to the point damn near no one can solo. Put out obviously over powered items at the beginning of the expansion and then stop them from dropping but leave the ones that dropped in the game untouched.

Unfortunately a lot of the things I loved about EQ they didn’t do intentionally, they Forrest Gump’d into the things I loved most about EQ. Staff of Temperate fluxing someone who has invis vs undead and it canceling it but not getting rid of the buff icon and causing trains. Having members of the group drop and leaving me with the afk FD SK Ranadin and porting him to hate with the /q bug in the last bubble of the spell cast sending the party member to hate leaving me behind and the player playing where’s my corpse for over a day. Saving all my mana on a boss that charms so I can Mana Burn Elidroth on the off chance he gets charmed. Suiciding with a mana stone when shit hit the fan because it had zero death penalty. Spoofing rolls, carrying the common item and speed looting the corpse and claiming the moonstone ring dropped again meanwhile I looted a FBSS. Having two accounts, one good guy and one guy that ran around being a complete heel kill stealing and trash talking people as I did it, hell I even argued with myself once almost felt like the WWE. One of my favorite things was I was super bored for a stretch in Veilous that I decided to do the Eyepatch of Plunder quest as my wizard and would just go up to melee and spam the spell haste clicky from it to piss them off.

Oh shit I also forgot about pulling the cord on your router and plugging it back in immediately running to a camp you ordinarily couldn’t get to while it rebooted I forget how many seconds you had before it booted you but it worked pretty well to get to plane of mischief and to set up COTH chains in Kael etc.

Sorry I went off on a tangent, fun times. I doubt any game is going to pull that shit off again.
I think there's a market for a high-trust, high group synergy, low APM, high risk vs reward game like EverQuest can sometimes be.

And when I say high-trust, I mean that in order to collectively work together you must have a high degree of trust in your group and guild because the game doesn't protect you from them nor does it make it easy to achieve productivity as a group. If you form a group, go into a dungeon and your puller is shit, your healer ninja logs, your tank isn't sufficient or your DPS steals the item you want, tough shit, build a community of people you trust and play with them. If you only have 35 minutes to play, tough shit, you need a group to do anything, play a different game.

I don't think that game is really feasible to make though. Most EQ players only play because nostalgia manages to give them that endorphin kick.

• 1Solidarity

kinadin

<Gold Donor>
For an EQ type game to be successful now they'd need to make some major QOL overhauls that I think would turn off a lot of "classic" and nostalgia based EQ enthusiasts.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
For me, it's not the game client that pushes me away from EQ. While a new game client would certainly be nice, It's the content direction over the years that ruins EQ for me.

For instance, I just started my pally on the Mischief server, and while I am excited to play it, I know that what I love about EQ isn't going to be there even at the current expansion that is open on that server, and it only gets worse as it goes on.

The thing that makes EQ (original) special to me is the fact that it didn't truly matter what class you played as long as you knew how to play the game and was able to adapt to the situations. The 1 to 50 game can literally have any class tanking if they know what they are doing and not being a dipshit.

It was Kunark and then Velious that changed that. Rangers were still able to tank group content well in Kunark, but then in Velious that kinda went away. With every expansion, the game slowly goes from being an open world sand box kind of game to that of a "you will play the game our way or you will not play" style MMORPG. You had to have a plate tank. You had to have an enchanter. You had to have a main healer (well... actually.. duh).

Every expansion doubled down on this idea of having the perfect group make up, and if you didn't fit the mold, you spent the majority of your time sitting LFG and trying to put groups together with THE right classes even though THE right classes already all had groups.

Later you didn't only have to have the perfect holy trinity to do anything meaningful, but you needed the holy trinity characters to have the right number of AAs and raid gear.

Today's EQ is nothing at all like original EQ, and I am not talking about Quality of Life changes. I am talking about over all game design.

So, when we talk about a NEW EQ game coming in 2026, my question is... Which era of EQ are we saying it will be like? There are MANY vastly different eras in the history of EQ.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
For me, it's not the game client that pushes me away from EQ. While a new game client would certainly be nice, It's the content direction over the years that ruins EQ for me.

For instance, I just started my pally on the Mischief server, and while I am excited to play it, I know that what I love about EQ isn't going to be there even at the current expansion that is open on that server, and it only gets worse as it goes on.

The thing that makes EQ (original) special to me is the fact that it didn't truly matter what class you played as long as you knew how to play the game and was able to adapt to the situations. The 1 to 50 game can literally have any class tanking if they know what they are doing and not being a dipshit.

It was Kunark and then Velious that changed that. Rangers were still able to tank group content well in Kunark, but then in Velious that kinda went away. With every expansion, the game slowly goes from being an open world sand box kind of game to that of a "you will play the game our way or you will not play" style MMORPG. You had to have a plate tank. You had to have an enchanter. You had to have a main healer (well... actually.. duh).

Every expansion doubled down on this idea of having the perfect group make up, and if you didn't fit the mold, you spent the majority of your time sitting LFG and trying to put groups together with THE right classes even though THE right classes already all had groups.

Later you didn't only have to have the perfect holy trinity to do anything meaningful, but you needed the holy trinity characters to have the right number of AAs and raid gear.

Today's EQ is nothing at all like original EQ, and I am not talking about Quality of Life changes. I am talking about over all game design.

So, when we talk about a NEW EQ game coming in 2026, my question is... Which era of EQ are we saying it will be like? There are MANY vastly different eras in the history of EQ.
Man, for group content I just feel like that doesn't hold true for a lot of the early to mid expansions, at least for nominally raid geared characters. For someone who only ever groups I can see it somewhat, but if a group geared ranger or rogue can tank every single group mob in the game it trivializes it for many people.

But, honestly, do you even really like EQ if you think basically every expansion starting with Velious only gets more and more flawed?

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Man, for group content I just feel like that doesn't hold true for a lot of the early to mid expansions, at least for nominally raid geared characters. For someone who only ever groups I can see it somewhat, but if a group geared ranger or rogue can tank every single group mob in the game it trivializes it for many people.

But, honestly, do you even really like EQ if you think basically every expansion starting with Velious only gets more and more flawed?
Well I didn't mean tank every thing good lol. What I meant was that in a pinch, you could throw in a non-plate class to tank if you couldn't find one LFG.

As for your second question, there are things I like in many of the expansions. It's just the overall design pushes you to a "raid or get the fuck out" game design.

Don't get me wrong though. I do like raiding at times. I just don't want to have to raid all the time. There are weeks that I don't want to raid at all. Sometimes, I just want to login, fuck around a little, and log out. EQ is not the game for that kind of playstyle. Maybe I don't like EQ afterall. hmmm... damn it man. Fucking shit up with logic and shit.

• 1Solidarity

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Well I didn't mean tank every thing good lol. What I meant was that in a pinch, you could throw in a non-plate class to tank if you couldn't find one LFG.

As for your second question, there are things I like in many of the expansions. It's just the overall design pushes you to a "raid or get the fuck out" game design.

Don't get me wrong though. I do like raiding at times. I just don't want to have to raid all the time. There are weeks that I don't want to raid at all. Sometimes, I just want to login, fuck around a little, and log out. EQ is not the game for that kind of playstyle. Maybe I don't like EQ afterall. hmmm... damn it man. Fucking shit up with logic and shit.

I get your point in a way. Up to a point you can make any group comp - might not be the best or fastest but it could work. Like you could rock monk tank if you had a shaman Druid and cleric for major heals and debuffs etc. I used to love groups where you just grabbed what you had and made it work with roots and spamming melee heals lol.

At some point the main healer main tank slower CC Dps must have setup took over, but he’ll even through POP you could level and AA with wacky groups. I think GOd is where the cutoff was.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I was playing a group in Velks the other night where the 6 were bard cleric sk war ranger monk - it wasn’t maximum kill time but enough to make a slap together group viable when there was a lot of lfg, and xp moved. Nothing beats retard leveling while watching a show on once screen and pugging EQ when you are 40 and on edibles

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users