EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I challenge veterans like yourselves to the fuck box achievement.

if you 2 box, then you must pick the least synergetic combo possible. Cleric Druid, mage rogue, warrior warrior. Who will pull off the most useless duo

Druids wouldn't be on that list, but if it's classic then double rogue wins easily

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
"Pride month familiars" this could turn it all around for the month of June.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I challenge veterans like yourselves to the fuck box achievement.

if you 2 box, then you must pick the least synergetic combo possible. Cleric Druid, mage rogue, warrior warrior. Who will pull off the most useless duo
Mage rogue and cleric Druid are probably pretty solid duos though. Take cleric Druid. Both are excellent solos that strongly cover the weaknesses of the other. Clerics have a million stuns and druids have amazing snares.

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
Double rogue would be special, you'd fill the quota for rogues for a guild all by yourself and you can RP a little bandit cadre

Bard Bard you'd have to box yourself in different groups ?

Last edited:
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I genuinely don't know how people can keep playing this every single year.

• 5Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 6 users

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Nostalgia is a hell of a drug. Also

Autism%20Speaks%20New%20Logo.png

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I genuinely don't know how people can keep playing this every single year.

It's like joining a bowling league year after year even if you know it's going to be the all the same fat old drunks down at the lanes. EverQuest at least has elf booba and krono to go with the booze and repetition.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, a local bowling league is honestly a great example. The competition might exist but it's not anything super serious (except to a few tryhards) and I think for a lot of people the skill/gameplay aspect of their abilities probably has plateaued, so it's not really new or even evolving much. Then you're left with hanging out with friends (and making new ones as people come and go) and occasionally having an occasional new great memory (wow, Bob got a 300!) and maybe some bragging rights if you win.

I've definitely had my fill and for me I really wouldn't have an interest in playing again, but for those who are genuinely into the social aspect, I can see why it would continue to be appealing.

Of course, there's also the no life antisocial krono farmers, but that's really a whole different aspect.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's a social game at heart and plenty of people are happy shooting the shit with their guild and doing content that is only moderately challenging at best. I personally just do not enjoy the some of the later raids (in both EQ and WoW) where there's tons of things you have to keep track of, do-this-now-or-you-wipe mechanics or where you just do whatever the UI prompt tells you to do. Feels like busywork to me and it's just not what I want out of an evening of gaming that's supposed to be fun and relaxing.

I get that some players want that challenge where you have to do everything right and it feels great when you finally beat it. Maybe it means I'm old and boring but it's just not what I enjoy anymore. it's a game, if at the end of the night I haven't had fun because it's just a bunch of stressed out people trying to shift blame for the 4th wipe, I stop playing.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
It's part nostalgia and partly because they haven't found any other game out there that scratches the itch they have for the game.

It took me many, many years to finally find another game that fills that for me. That being said, I have always liked the classic era of EverQeust, so I will be there day one at least through Velious.

Pharone the Gnome Wizard will be there to port you assholes to your raids. Don't forget to tip me bitches.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This last round of servers really killed it for me. Usually all my friends get hyped and come back for at least the first few expansions. Barely anyone came back this time for Yelinak and Vaniki. The gimmick servers are the only thing interesting now. Especially if they keep it up with achievement rewards.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Server Predictions:
1: Vanilla TLP with Relaxed Truebox starting in omens.
2: Special ruleset using one of the following gimmicks: FV Loot, PvP, Selo Unlocks (double loot instead of half lockouts) or something entirely off the wall.
I kinda hope they ditch the AB testing they do with a vanilla TLP mixed with an experimental TLP. It dillutes the playerbase too much.
I suspect Vaniki, in terms of revenue, punched above it's player number for all those early months. People were buying a fucking mountain of shit from the Daybreak store to be/stay competitive. It very well might be regarded as enough of a success to continue experimenting with more event servers. There's also some merit in taking chances given Mischief's success. If we get something like just one vanilla server or just one Mischief clone this year that'll say a lot.
Yeah. Just having hard content that motivates people to spend $$$ has to be a motivator for DPG to continue to play with level locking or something that makes stuff optionally challenging.

Whatever ruleset they go with I hope they try something ambitious AND discuss it with known members of the playerbase throughout the design/implementation process to avoid super obvious mistakes. Ex: on Vaniki how a large portion of the challenges were immediately predicted as impossible, and ended up being unfinished.

Los_Necros

Trakanon Raider
I kinda hope they ditch the AB testing they do with a vanilla TLP mixed with an experimental TLP. It dillutes the playerbase too much.

Yeah. Just having hard content that motivates people to spend $$$ has to be a motivator for DPG to continue to play with level locking or something that makes stuff optionally challenging.

Whatever ruleset they go with I hope they try something ambitious AND discuss it with known members of the playerbase throughout the design/implementation process to avoid super obvious mistakes. Ex: on Vaniki how a large portion of the challenges were immediately predicted as impossible, and ended up being unfinished.
They literally consulted with the officers/leadership of the "top" vaniki guild. They only started talking about how impossible things were after signing off on the list as being okay and looking good.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They literally consulted with the officers/leadership of the "top" vaniki guild. They only started talking about how impossible things were after signing off on the list as being okay and looking good.
Ah, ok. Good that they made an attempt and shame on the Vaniki leaders for trying to sandbag or whatever. Which people, specifically, did they talk to?

Zaide

TLP Idealist
They asked a number of community members from different guilds but they also folded and used shit ideas from the forums. So the guild leaders give you a list of possible targets with the understanding that gear will be tradeable, level reqs will be removed, open world will be viable for achievements, and spells will be enhanced (no one knew how much enhancement). But then level requirements remained, achievements were limited to DZ, spell strength was nerfed, keying requirements were changed semi randomly, and tons of AA remained level locked and thus useless.

Brael

Golden Knight of the Realm
I mean they also took until this last patch to change how corruption cures worked on Vaniki and I had seen it discussed multiple times on this and official forums as an issue before the server even launched.

They had a good idea with it, but they took too long to implement the changes to keep the server strong, and then people got discouraged and left because they were bored that certain challenges were impossible (with numbers available and strategies available). Following the launch of Vaniki and seeing people push things for a challenge was most fun I've had in terms of watching/raiding in ages.

If they had followed to the advice and suggestions from members like those Zaide mentioned above (required levels and AA locking specifically) it would've had a better chance. Not saying it would've been hugely popular by any means.

• 1Like

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
None of the guilds on Vaniki are good at the game. Just because they failed at something doesn't mean it was "impossible"