EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I lothe flying into O'Hare Airport. It's a fraction of a percent better now that I don't have to see it's smug picture plastered on every wall.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Has any of the big names decided to do a guild yet?

I'm still trying to decide on a class, but I am throwing around either Wizard for the pew pew or Ranger for the plink plink lol.
Mabbu is making a guild.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I lothe flying into O'Hare Airport. It's a fraction of a percent better now that I don't have to see it's smug picture plastered on every wall.
I really hated porting into Misty Thicket, going through Rivervale and seeing her mug, too.

1678383080761.png

• 1Worf

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Mabbu is making a guild.

Guy bailed on Bind Rush at the first sign of any difficulties on Vaniki. Not sure if I want to join another of his guilds. Thraka and Elaida did way more to hold that guild together.

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Mabbu is making a guild.

I didn't get back into EQ 1 until Mischief, but I have heard this name several times. Did a quick forum search. Sounds sketch. lol

Someone should document all the major EQ guild history / drama for posterity. I'd love to read some of that shit.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I didn't get back into EQ 1 until Mischief, but I have heard this name several times. Did a quick forum search. Sounds sketch. lol

Someone should document all the major EQ guild history / drama for posterity. I'd love to read some of that shit.
Its literally all documented on these forum posts.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Jasper

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I feel like there's a good Michael Lewis book in there somewhere.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
That guild still going? We don't get much Vaniki news at all anymore. Does everyone have to farm millions of AA to max glyph every fight?
Died like 8 months ago. Rusty was the only guild doing real shit after the early stuff.

• 1Like

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Died like 8 months ago. Rusty was the only guild doing real shit after the early stuff.
You staying on Mischief?

I've thought many times about starting a new character over there, but... I honestly find Lotro fits my "solo, play whenever and where ever I want" playstyle more than EQ ever did in later expansions. I think that's what I like about EQ up through Velious. It's just no that difficult to level up and go on raids in the early part of EQ. The game doesn't have to be your second job.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
You staying on Mischief?

I've thought many times about starting a new character over there, but... I honestly find Lotro fits my "solo, play whenever and where ever I want" playstyle more than EQ ever did in later expansions. I think that's what I like about EQ up through Velious. It's just no that difficult to level up and go on raids in the early part of EQ. The game doesn't have to be your second job.
I will remain on Mischief.

Dr4goonDirk

Potato del Grande
Is that Foaming?

Terrible name. If you're doing Qeynos militia, it's gotta be Kane Bayle. Unless that was used and I think it was. Maybe Corporal Lancot. Or Guard Gehnus, that one always got a chuckle.

Typically these server names often invoke their ruleset in some way though. Like a Kunark start could be the Kurn or Kaesora server.

We need more monk races for sure. Vah'shir would be a no-brainer. Can frog be a monk? I seem to know nothing about frog classes. Frog and cat should both be able to monk though. Barbarian and wood elf would also make sense. Mark my words, more combinations going live the same time as a new server would give that server population a boost.
Guard Dayblaze is a wandering Kelethin guard.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I assume this NPC pre-dates anyone knowing who the real person was?

I bet this hobbit would be a way better mayor, at least.
I just renamed Meeka Diggs in Rivervale for a meme screenshot.

But Praetorian Ligma is real:

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
Rusty died about 1.5 months ago? We got a few bosses away from Lethar. Stitch was the last boss we killed. I have been goofing in Vaniki a bit but ya no guild anymore actually pushing progression.

• 1Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Rusty died about 1.5 months ago? We got a few bosses away from Lethar. Stitch was the last boss we killed. I have been goofing in Vaniki a bit but ya no guild anymore actually pushing progression.

That's too bad. The ruleset needs another pass but the server wasn't ever successful enough to justify doing another one.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm curious, If DPG made another "hard-mode" TLP ruleset in a couple years, what would you recommend to increase popularity?

I didn't play on Vaniki but the it seems like a -5 level cap instead of -10, some changes around resist/charm and a change in the level req/rec system wouldn't be a terrible standard ruleset to apply (like mitigation of the mighty is). Not something to base an entire server around, but something to increase the difficulty in a frankly trivial game. It should encourage grouping and krono sales when the BiS gear requires a bit more lethality from a group to get.

Last edited:

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I'm curious, If DPG made another "hard-mode" TLP ruleset in a couple years, what would you recommend to increase popularity?

I didn't play on Vaniki but the it seems like a -5 level cap instead of -10, some changes around resist/charm and a change in the level req/rec system wouldn't be a terrible standard ruleset to apply (like mitigation of the mighty is). Not something to base an entire server around, but something to increase the difficulty in a frankly trivial game. It should encourage grouping and krono sales when the BiS gear requires a bit more lethality from a group to get.
Here’s the secret:
Launch in classic. Add new level ranges/expacs every 8 weeks.

Casual players will not try servers that don’t launch in classic/Kunark. Time after time we see it. If they’re having fun they will play long past Luclin and PoP, but they will not even start a character on a server that starts on or past them.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

All it needs IMO is to follow the normal tlp patterns but combine releasing entire level brackets together with NOT raising the level cap right away. When 70s release, players are still stuck at 65 for a bit. Having it way lower like 10 but then shoving in resist/charm changes, meh.

People playing on a hard, fast, or competitive server are more likely to be people autistic about their bis. Having the server enter a farm mode status at least some of the time so these folks can find their pixels would probably help. People get frustrated at ALWAYS playing at a high level.

Here’s the secret:
Launch in classic. Add new level ranges/expacs every 8 weeks.

Casual players will not try servers that don’t launch in classic/Kunark. Time after time we see it. If they’re having fun they will play long past Luclin and PoP, but they will not even start a character on a server that starts on or past them.

I am willing to wager that kunark or even velious starts wouldn't scare off people. Luclin is a scary conceptual expansion that lots hate on, even if personally its ideal to start in, but I really don't think the trilogy is scary to the folks you mean; they'd start pre-luclin I think.