EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Wow, they made a ruleset that is worse than any of everyone's "I know a guys" rulesets on this thread.

Both of these are EQ2 features (max levels on accounts, encounter locking) and in the former, I've always thought it should be an inverse - gain an exp bonus until you're at the previous cap, then stop gaining the bonus.

Can't wait to be purposefully trained by someone while I'm fighting a raid target with an NPC I haven't actively engaged, but since I have PBAOEs and other AE spells that are active like heals, I'll accidentally engage the mob or the mob will beat on me until I run it off and have it reset mid-combat - just like how raid guilds train each other in EQ2.

This is tonedeaf as fuck. I've tried encounter locking on emu and it doesn't work for a reason.
Instancing basically negates the need for locking.

Locking turns contested camps into a spam AEs pre-spawn fest. Arguably worse than DPS racing.

I can't believe they wasted a whole year, and this is the best ruleset they could come up with.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow, they made a ruleset that is worse than any of everyone's "I know a guys" rulesets on this thread.

Any pvp ruleset would have been far worse...

This server will be more popular than Yelinak but less than Mischief. I suspect the event locking may be scraped before launch BUT I get the sense they are really happy about it and want to try it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

Bruh, what? After you level a character to fifty your next one (on that account) gets a 10% exp bonus! That exp bonus goes away the second Kunark launches until you grind everyone back up but man, 10%! Then in Kunark everything has a little bit more loot! A little bit is more than usual! You stick it out to Planes of Power and look the fuck out.

1680734581857.png

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Bruh, what? After you level a character to fifty your next one (on that account) gets a 10% exp bonus! That exp bonus goes away the second Kunark launches until you grind everyone back up but man, 10%! Then in Kunark everything has a little bit more loot! A little bit is more than usual! You stick it out to Planes of Power and look the fuck out.

View attachment 467565
Instead of 6p from most random planes trash now I'll be getting 6p 6g, bitches! This server fucking SMACKS!

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Any pvp ruleset would have been far worse...

This server will be more popular than Yelinak but less than Mischief. I suspect the event locking may be scraped before launch BUT I get the sense they are really happy about it and want to try it.
They only want to try it because EQ2 makes more money than EQ1, and they want to see if their gameplay contributes to ARPU increases for EQ1.

The reality is that EQ1 is likely going to see the direction that EQ2 is being taken in with monetization, and these TLPs will get stuff like stat familiars, stat mounts, LoN lootboxes, etc earlier than the expansion they're intended for to boost revenues and the year-to-year server changes on TLP will be minimal at most.

As for locking, I would have rather seen personal loot w/ loot lockouts per account and mischief loot rules instead of encounter locking - as it took maybe a 30 minute dialogue, another week of letting it sit mentally, and then changing from encounter locks to personal loot to really hammer in the reasons why it wouldn't work.

Daybreak took a year and said, "Fuck yeah. There's no way this could go wrong. Let's do what we do in EQ2, because it works there and they haven't had issues." - except EQ2 was designed with fixed encounter sizes and EQ1 has absurd levels of raid parties.

The only thing this is going to do is make it easier for MQNext bot farms and other third party automation tools like AutoIT be able to get engages first over legitimate players.

There's a solid mechanic (Agent of Change) that even fixed and addressed this issue already. Just make timers shorter (24 hrs or so?) for Naggy/Vox.

It's 23 year old content. No one is going to give a fuck if someone gets a Cloak of Flames every 24 hours for a period of 3 months.

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
In theory I think its intended to appeal to the casual players that don't want to deal with toxic shit like training, dps racing, PLers pulling zones that people are trying to xp in, I just don't think it's going to work out the way they think it will. Server gonna be just as toxic, if not more than any other TLP but in different ways.

Insta click items like flux staff or PoFear wands gonna be the winning move.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Aggro management / manipulation is such a core part of the classic "EQ" experience, that this would be a fundamental changing of nature of the game.

• 1Like

Zish

Trakanon Raider
Mischief was the most fun I've ever had playing EQ. I feel like it's a goldmine they are just sitting on. Really was hoping they'd realize how popular it was.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yeah instead of agro lock lets have built in lists. Instead of waiting until god to relax truebox lets have enforced onebox. Yeah man, great fucking idea. We also get like 90% of the most autistic eq posters of other forum sections. Woo boy. Hard pass.

Truebox is a lot like gun control: Makes life harder for the people who follow the rules, has no effect on the people who don't follow the rules. Needs to be done away with.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 4 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
What are the chances that their original plan was the whole EQ2 personal loot shit and they had to pivot last minute so only took shitty EQ2 xp bonuses and encounter tagging?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
My plan to run an SK/Shaman/Bard or Paladin/Shaman/Bard CRPG/RTS trio is pretty much scuppered now. I guess I'll run a solo Bard if I play at all, since Bards are gonna dominate open world raid boss grabs.

...that is, if anyone's racing. But that would require more than one guild to give a shit.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Can't wait to be purposefully trained by someone while I'm fighting a raid target with an NPC I haven't actively engaged, but since I have PBAOEs and other AE spells that are active like heals, I'll accidentally engage the mob or the mob will beat on me until I run it off and have it reset mid-combat - just like how raid guilds train each other in EQ2.

This is like one of the few possible benefits of the rule. Your PBAoE's shouldn't hit the mobs unless they FD.... for 15 seconds based off what Niente.

"Additionally, this server will be our first attempt at encounter locking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. "