EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If they're looking to experiment how about combine bonus exp per max level character with raid lockouts attached to each character rather than each account. If this was the first server with per character raid lockouts PLUS bonus exp for having alts with some of the extra shit on top people might be interested.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I get the feeling they really really want to try the system they announced though since they put a lot of effort into it already.

If they just change the server to FV loot and left the encounter locking I think most people would just accept it at that point.
This has been the case when Daybreak introduced any controversial system - they already plan on shipping it (likely months in advance) and they'll concede on some mechanics within the system, but ultimately, they'll follow through with it on schedule as the people handling financing want to see deliverables.

In a smaller company like Daybreak, they may have more autonomy - but ultimately, they cannot break away from deploying key deliverables.

If I had to guess, the best case scenario this year that everyone is getting is Mischief or a standard loot rules server with the accountwide XP bonus applied to every server (no one gives a fuck about that mechanic, it just serves the purpose of introducing something they were going to do anyway that existed in other games) and the encounter locking is scrapped permanently. The extra bonuses stay on each unlock like they planned.

Don't expect Daybreak to come up with a new system by May, basically.

Also, expect encounter locking to be tried outside of TLP on live servers, but be disabled on TLP and enabled in GoD or something like that when it doesn't matter anymore.

Zapan

Lord Nagafen Raider
This has been the case when Daybreak introduced any controversial system - they already plan on shipping it (likely months in advance) and they'll concede on some mechanics within the system, but ultimately, they'll follow through with it on schedule as the people handling financing want to see deliverables.

In a smaller company like Daybreak, they may have more autonomy - but ultimately, they cannot break away from deploying key deliverables.

If I had to guess, the best case scenario this year that everyone is getting is Mischief or a standard loot rules server with the accountwide XP bonus applied to every server (no one gives a fuck about that mechanic, it just serves the purpose of introducing something they were going to do anyway that existed in other games) and the encounter locking is scrapped permanently. The extra bonuses stay on each unlock like they planned.

Don't expect Daybreak to come up with a new system by May, basically.

Also, expect encounter locking to be tried outside of TLP on live servers, but be disabled on TLP and enabled in GoD or something like that when it doesn't matter anymore.
I would say that taking a hard left turn on short notice wouldn’t happen if we were in any other period of time. When profitable growth and cost efficiency are the top two priorities for 99% of CEO’s right now, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did a cost benefit analyses with the feedback they’re getting, pulled the plug and cookie cut something they know is proven, ie mischief. A “we hear you”, would go a long way with a shrinking player base.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They are trying hard to put out a cool TLP for the 25th but I bet it will be awful.

It might actually be the case that the 25th will be the TLP(s) that they put everything into / take everything they've learned from the others and make one or two super-TLPs that combine the best of the good servers into one big idea. Mischief + slightly slower Selo + no boxing restrictions + all classes available from the start.

And this year is just kinda their big experimental year before they do the super-TLP.

I mean, let's hope.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Is this FTE thing solving a problem on Live or something? Seems like a lot of effort for a fix on something that's not even broken on TLPs with DZ's

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It might actually be the case that the 25th will be the TLP(s) that they put everything into / take everything they've learned from the others and make one or two super-TLPs that combine the best of the good servers into one big idea. Mischief + slightly slower Selo + no boxing restrictions + all classes available from the start.

And this year is just kinda their big experimental year before they do the super-TLP.

I mean, let's hope.
Wouldn't that have been what they did last year? Isn't this supposed to be the year we actually get a good TLP? I thought these TLP's rolled with the fun stuff every other year? That was why I was actually paying attention to this more than last year, because it was assumed that the year after Mischief would be a ho-hum year.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I have 35 accounts ready to go. Let the kronos rain!

I'm thinking about running a Paladin with 17 Monks as backup.

But seriously, someone said "blue balls" and that's true, I was all ready to come back and try a Paladin. Hopefully they change things up substantially.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
I think the main reason this ruleset is a swing and a miss with the more hardcore crowd is because it's an attempt (not saying it's a good attempt) at appeasing the casual crowd.

Casuals that play one account with a bunch of alts (they exist) would like this.

Casuals sick of camping a named only to have it KS'd by an Ebolt think FTE is a good thing even if they don't realize the ramifications of insta clicky spam, or that people can be massive dicks and lock down named indefinitely, at least till it stops being fun and they move on.

Casuals that want to PuG a lot and hate PLers like this server because they believe there will be a lot more PuGs since people can't PL as easily, and that more people will be leveling alts for another 10% bonus on their account.

Casuals have been crying for a server with less cancer, Daybreak are like here you go, here's a server with less cancer, but with the side effect of a lot more AIDS.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I think the main reason this ruleset is a swing and a miss with the more hardcore crowd is because it's an attempt (not saying it's a good attempt) at appeasing the casual crowd.

Casuals that play one account with a bunch of alts (they exist) would like this.

Casuals sick of camping a named only to have it KS'd by an Ebolt think FTE is a good thing even if they don't realize the ramifications of insta clicky spam, or that people can be massive dicks and lock down named indefinitely, at least till it stops being fun and they move on.

Casuals that want to PuG a lot and hate PLers like this server because they believe there will be a lot more PuGs since people can't PL as easily, and that more people will be leveling alts for another 10% bonus on their account.

Casuals have been crying for a server with less cancer, Daybreak are like here you go, here's a server with less cancer, but with the side effect of a lot more AIDS.

That's a very tiny niche crowd that this doesn't even address. PLing will still exist and instead of shaman/necros taking everything it will be a bard instead.

Keystone

Lord Nagafen Raider
Maybe I’m dumb but why are bards going to win tap offs? I don’t see any natural progression besides flux staves and autoclickers into eventual mq for congested mobs/camps.

Opimo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Well this is disappointing, especially when I was getting the itch to play again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Maybe I’m dumb but why are bards going to win tap offs? I don’t see any natural progression besides flux staves and autoclickers into eventual mq for congested mobs/camps.

Bards have the runspeed and kite ability to run things around and tie down zones. As far as instas go, Bellow is very insta and range. Whenever that is (not classic AFAIK).

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
In a group you're going to want instant clicks. In raid you'll see Monks, Bards and SKs kiting stuff forever and ever until their guilds show up. With rooted targets one pet is enough to keep it encounter locked forever so that should definitely blow. Does Blob 1 have a warder associated with it? I assume that perma locking it will count as zone disruption and get you booted but there are going to be nights where you can't do open world Vex Thal because someone is being a fuckhead and there's no GM staff online.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

Bards are for the powerlevelers, not so much people trying to lock down a specific spawn.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

These are good points. The people who think boxers and plvlers are the reason they can't find groups are never going to change their behavior or playstyle to actually fix the problem; they're going to cheer a hard nerf to plvling while truebox is in until after pop (when they quit anyway), and when they still eventually fall out of the group scene they will just find scapegoats to blame. They will cheer this server. The bads who hate camp competition think the dps race meta is the problem and cheer what seems to be a return to the pnp meta with fte coming. They can't bring themselves to accept the truth that monopolized camps and bullying were worse originally and the only reason they didnt get trampled in the golden years was their own ignorance of where the optimal places were. No, they will cheer fte, and if/when it fails, blame the nerds for ruining it.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>

And now, what many of you have been waiting for, our brand-new Progression Server named Oakwynd will launch in May as an Evolving Ruleset Progression Server.

"What does that mean?" you ask. As mentioned in passing before, this will be a truly experimental year. It starts out at launch with something we call Legacy characters and encounter locking. Then at each expansion unlock, an additional bonus will be added to the server. Note: the details of these rules are under development and may change before release.

Legacy characters allow your characters on the same account on the server to receive a semi-permanent experience bonus.

• When players reach max level (for the current era) with a character, their account receives an experience bonus for all characters on that server.
  • e.g., When a player has 1 max level character, their account receives a 10% bonus EXP buff.
  • When a player has 2 max-level characters, the buff stacks. They now get 20% bonus EXP.
    • This bonus caps at a 100% bonus.
    • When the server's level cap increases, players will lose the buff until they get one of their characters to max level again, and the bonus starts again at 10%.
Additionally, this server will be our first attempt at encounter locking. In short, once an NPC is engaged, it will be locked to that character, group, or raid. Characters not part of the lock cannot contribute damage. Spells from outside characters will not land on the NPC. If an actively locked NPC loses aggro for a short time period, the NPC will go home, reset, then unlock.

Now onto the Evolving part. For each expansion unlock, we're planning on adding the following benefits to the server. Each benefit will add to the existing instead of replacing the benefits active on the server (unless it's a higher value of an existing benefit). For example, using the list below, when The Scars of Velious unlocks, Legacy Characters, Encounter Locking, and a 125% modifier to the normal loot rate will already be unlocked and with the unlock a 125% modifier to the normal faction changes will be added. These are currently what we have planned for the unlocks:

• Classic - Legacy Characters and Encounter Locking
  • The Ruins of Kunark - Loot Modifier - 125%
  • The Scars of Velious - Faction Modifier - 125%
  • The Shadows of Luclin - AA EXP Modifier - 125%
  • The Planes of Power - Coin Drop Modifier - 150%
  • The Legacy of Ykesha - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 85%
  • Lost Dungeons of Norrath - Alternate Currency Modifier - 150%
  • Gates of Discord - Tribute Donation Modifier - 200% - Relax Truebox to 3
  • Omens of War - Rare Spawn Modifier - 200%
  • Dragons of Norrath - Faction Modifier - 200%
  • Depths of Darkhollow - Evolving Item EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Prophecy of Ro – Chance to Increase Skills Modifier (includes Tradeskills) - 200%
  • The Serpent's Spine - Loot Modifier - 200% - Remove Truebox
  • The Buried Sea - Alternate Currency Modifier - 200%
  • Secrets of Faydwer - Faction Modifier - 300%
  • Seeds of Destruction - EXP Modifier - 125%
  • Underfoot - Tribute Use Reduction - 75%
  • House of Thule - AA EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Veil of Alaris - Alternate Currency Modifier - 250%
  • Rain of Fear - Collection Spawn Time Modifier - 75%
  • Call of the Forsaken - Mercenary AA EXP Modifier - 200%
  • The Darkened Sea - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 70%
  • The Broken Mirror - EXP Modifier - 150%
  • Empires of Kunark - Rare Spawn Modifier - 300%
  • Ring of Scale - AA EXP Modifier - 175%
  • The Burning Lands - Luck Modifier - 125%
  • Torment of Velious - Evolving Item EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Claws of Veeshan - AA EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Terror of Luclin - EXP Modifier - 200%
  • Night of Shadows - Rare Spawn Modifier - 400%
Oakwynd will have the "Standard Unlock" schedule as many other progression servers. This is where new expansions unlock automatically every 8-12 weeks with the early expansions unlocking faster.

Unlock Schedule:

• Eight weeks after launch: Ruins of Kunark
  • Eight weeks later: Scars of Velious
  • Eight weeks later: Shadows of Luclin
  • Eight weeks later: Planes for Power and Legacy of Ykesha
  • Twelve weeks later: Lost Dungeons of Norrath
  • Four weeks later: Gates of Discord
  • At this point the schedule becomes consistent. Enjoy expansions for twelve weeks when a new level cap is unlocked, and eight weeks in expansions where the level cap stays the same.
True Box:

• This server starts with standard True Box. Only one EverQuest client may be run per computer.
  • When Omens of War unlocks, we will move to a Relaxed True Box. You may have up to 3 clients per computer logged into the server at the same time.
  • When The Buried Sea unlocks, True Box will be removed.
Told you bros this was coming soon and would be BIG changes. Y’all didn’t trust me..

• 1Faggotry
  • 1Repost
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I am a little uncertain about this "encounter locking" mechanic. Initially it sounded pretty good - the first person/group/raid to tag something get's first shot at it. It also sounds like training will also no longer be a thing if the mob has to go all the way back to their spawn point and reset before it re-agroes, it doesn't have the possibility of training a group/person on the way back.

Thinking it through, it may be a little annoying having to group/raid with a person to do anything to a mob that is already engaged. No out of group slowing or de-buffing. No helping people finish off a mob they are about to die to if you are not in their group. Last, the super PLing using an out of group high level character with a damage shield will no longer be a thing (I guess unless the high level is in the group then zones when all the mobs are at low health and the low levels must finish them off).

That said the trade-off seems to be preventative measures of training/KSing while PLing will take a hit and helping others outside of group with mobs will not be possible. Finally no more DPS races, which I guess depending on your stance will either love or hate.
The exploits this will bring are magnificent. Especially with the MQ2 scripts I am cooking up.

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
Server is DOA for sure, foler you should have told them its wrong bro, SO SO WRONG BRO
Bro I tried to, trust me but you know how many women they got working there? Logic and reason doesn’t work.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

The_Black_Log Foler

<Gold Donor>
I never beat off by any Navy Seals, but close enough: I got beaten off by one Navy sergeant once. A female one. I think she was Puerto Rican. I knew better than to fight back due to her Puerto Rican ness. I actually kinda wanted to fight back by the end when she was going "bawk bawk bawk" at me but you really have nothing whatsoever to gain from fighting a tough chick. If you win you're an asshole and nobody likes you, and if you lose, then you lost to a chick and nobody respects you.

TLDR: I got my ass kicked by a regular garden-variety Navy woman
Weird