EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Or speed up spawn times on a per expansion/zone basis. They complained in the past that picks were very resource intensive but I'm not sure if that's still the case since they gave everyone AoCs.
Dropping the respawn time to 25% in a handful of zones and 50% in some other zones would be extremely positive and not that much work (Presumably...). I still like my "Monster Tide" idea though that's more ambitious and experimental. What's your favorite idea to handle Resource Contention you'd like to see tried in a TLP? | Page 3 | EverQuest Forums

So, my favorite idea is dynamic respawn rates. I'd actually love to see the paradigm of players spreading out invert and instead motivate players to funnel together, lag be damed. Here's some thoughts I had in Patch Notes format.

TLP 2024: Monster Tide

• Each NPC spawn now has an "NPC heat" level. This heat level is increased when players kill that NPC spawn quickly, and decreases when it is not killed. It provides more difficult encounters and greater rewards
    • Heat level changes as follows:
      • It is a moving average based on the lifetime of of the last hour of spawns, allowing players to "warm up" camps if they are able to kill the NPCs quickly for multiple spawns
      • In order to apply maximum heat for an NPC spawn, it must be killed within 30 seconds of spawning
      • NPCs with a respawn greater than one hour are not affected
    • Heat level makes the spawn more dangerous in the following ways. At max-heat level:
      • NPCs will respawn 4x faster
      • NPCs will have 50% higher damage and HP. This buff is not retained if the NPC is charmed
      • NPCs will be 2x more resistant to crowd control spells like mez, stun, charm, fear, snare, root, blind
      • NPCs will have a 2x higher aggro and social radius
      • NPCs with rare spawns will be 2x more likely to spawn as a rare
    • Heat level makes the spawn more rewarding in the following ways. At max-heat level:
      • NPCs will reward 2x more experience
      • NPCs will reward 2x more loot
    • Maximum heat levels are intended to only be achievable in raids or over-leveled groups. It's intended that a normal group fighting mobs near their level will achieve a heat level that provides half the above difficulty and rewards
    • The values above will be examined each expansion release and tweaked as necessary to ensure the proper amount of loot is entering the system.
  • Calculations for loot / experience claiming have been adjusted
    • The bug allowing some abilities (Especially DoTs) to overestimate their damage contribution has been fixed. Now only damage actually done to the mob will count
    • Damage shields will now correctly attribute damage, such that a mob injured by a damage shield will count that damage to the owner of the damage shield
  • The experience penalty for being in a raid has been removed
  • Experience bonuses will now be extended to 12 person raids. The bonus for a 6 person group or raid is still 2.56, this scales linearly to 4x for 12 person raids. Raids with higher than 12 people will retain the 4x bonus
It'd be great to see players group together to try and hang on to increasingly difficult waves of mobs in order to sustain maximum rewards with increasing risk. Outside of fighting difficult camps, this would totally break open bottlenecks like Lord Bergurgle, who, once it's been killed a few times would spawn 4x faster, be 2x more likely to be a named and drop 2x crowns, effectively generating 16x more crowns.

The configuration, as stated, might turn everything into a raid swarm loot pinata session and trivializes the entire thing, maybe the 50% hp/dmg/resists makes it too hard, maybe the raid bonuses will work out poorly, I don't know. Making NPCs have a base heat level that actually reduced the spawn rate, difficulty and rewards is interesting and would open up harder areas to less capable groups. Something like this system could be fun but would need tweaking once players tried it out.

And of course, it doesn't solve all the problems that FTE is intended to solve. It'd actually increase trains where a raid would wipe and one dodgy bard drags a super-hot raid of 2x social radius through to the zone-lines. The changes to damage attribution would improve small-scale DPS races and incidentally change power-leveling.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah dude imagine if they did that.

The Legacy of Ykesha - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 85%
The Darkened Sea - Lowered spawn timers on all NPCs - 70%
Nobody who matters will be playing at that point.

• 2Like
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 2 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Dropping the respawn time to 25% in a handful of zones and 50% in some other zones would be extremely positive and not that much work (Presumably...). I still like my "Monster Tide" idea though that's more ambitious and experimental. What's your favorite idea to handle Resource Contention you'd like to see tried in a TLP? | Page 3 | EverQuest Forums

So, my favorite idea is dynamic respawn rates. I'd actually love to see the paradigm of players spreading out invert and instead motivate players to funnel together, lag be damed. Here's some thoughts I had in Patch Notes format.

TLP 2024: Monster Tide

• Each NPC spawn now has an "NPC heat" level. This heat level is increased when players kill that NPC spawn quickly, and decreases when it is not killed. It provides more difficult encounters and greater rewards
    • Heat level changes as follows:
      • It is a moving average based on the lifetime of of the last hour of spawns, allowing players to "warm up" camps if they are able to kill the NPCs quickly for multiple spawns
      • In order to apply maximum heat for an NPC spawn, it must be killed within 30 seconds of spawning
      • NPCs with a respawn greater than one hour are not affected
    • Heat level makes the spawn more dangerous in the following ways. At max-heat level:
      • NPCs will respawn 4x faster
      • NPCs will have 50% higher damage and HP. This buff is not retained if the NPC is charmed
      • NPCs will be 2x more resistant to crowd control spells like mez, stun, charm, fear, snare, root, blind
      • NPCs will have a 2x higher aggro and social radius
      • NPCs with rare spawns will be 2x more likely to spawn as a rare
    • Heat level makes the spawn more rewarding in the following ways. At max-heat level:
      • NPCs will reward 2x more experience
      • NPCs will reward 2x more loot
    • Maximum heat levels are intended to only be achievable in raids or over-leveled groups. It's intended that a normal group fighting mobs near their level will achieve a heat level that provides half the above difficulty and rewards
    • The values above will be examined each expansion release and tweaked as necessary to ensure the proper amount of loot is entering the system.
  • Calculations for loot / experience claiming have been adjusted
    • The bug allowing some abilities (Especially DoTs) to overestimate their damage contribution has been fixed. Now only damage actually done to the mob will count
    • Damage shields will now correctly attribute damage, such that a mob injured by a damage shield will count that damage to the owner of the damage shield
  • The experience penalty for being in a raid has been removed
  • Experience bonuses will now be extended to 12 person raids. The bonus for a 6 person group or raid is still 2.56, this scales linearly to 4x for 12 person raids. Raids with higher than 12 people will retain the 4x bonus
It'd be great to see players group together to try and hang on to increasingly difficult waves of mobs in order to sustain maximum rewards with increasing risk. Outside of fighting difficult camps, this would totally break open bottlenecks like Lord Bergurgle, who, once it's been killed a few times would spawn 4x faster, be 2x more likely to be a named and drop 2x crowns, effectively generating 16x more crowns.

The configuration, as stated, might turn everything into a raid swarm loot pinata session and trivializes the entire thing, maybe the 50% hp/dmg/resists makes it too hard, maybe the raid bonuses will work out poorly, I don't know. Making NPCs have a base heat level that actually reduced the spawn rate, difficulty and rewards is interesting and would open up harder areas to less capable groups. Something like this system could be fun but would need tweaking once players tried it out.

And of course, it doesn't solve all the problems that FTE is intended to solve. It'd actually increase trains where a raid would wipe and one dodgy bard drags a super-hot raid of 2x social radius through to the zone-lines. The changes to damage attribution would improve small-scale DPS races and incidentally change power-leveling.
Imagine them trying to code this, though.

RonTheDude

Silver Squire
Did anyone, at any point, ask for any of this? Was there any real demand for FTE? Were DPS races that big of a problem for anyone, really?

Nuts how the first single-server TLP in years also happens to be the worst TLP idea yet.

Mob locking doesn't solve the issue though it just moves it "back". Now instead of DPS races, it turns into who locks/taps first. If anything it adds more ways of screwing over people. Qoidjfks now just locks mobs before they're visible.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Mob locking doesn't solve the issue though it just moves it "back". Now instead of DPS races, it turns into who locks/taps first. If anything it adds more ways of screwing over people. Qoidjfks now just locks mobs before they're visible.

Alright, you lost the tag race. Unfortunate. Guess you have to have one of your Enchanters chain-rune the enemy main tank or your Clerics heal him until the encounter soft unlocks from them stealing aggro.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
If the assumed problem is bitching about mob stealing and dps race drama, fixes after ldon don't really matter. Who cares at that point. I can't imagine they get any real petition spam after what, goats at the latest? Are people crying about their dreadspire ac aug being sniped? Increasing spawns is also unlikely to help as this just means the good camp gets even better, without providing the same opportunity to whoever is bitching about the group on the camp.

I'd like to see dynamic loot and zem where zones that don't see much excitement get increased chance of rares and maybe just % increases to xp and coin drops. This has always been the real solution to crowding and drama - fucking spread out - but while that was viable in 2001 when nobody knew better, it won't fly now when people know they want that frenzy or efreeti camp. They should just do away with their bullshit and outdated mud-era thinking of "lol you have to discover it" and just say what the fucking zone experience modifier is when you zone in. Have it go up if nobody likes killing there. Maybe level it off a bit if nobody seems to go anywhere else (eg griegs).

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Someone high up has a buttplug with "encounter locking" engraved on it and refuses to pull it out. Almost feel sorry for the devs that are probably getting yelled at passive aggressive emails daily and told to make it happen.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Someone high up has a buttplug with "encounter locking" engraved on it and refuses to pull it out. Almost feel sorry for the devs that are probably getting yelled at passive aggressive emails daily and told to make it happen.

Completely agree. This has someone's ego tied to it who won't budge. No other explanation imo.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If this is to decrease usage of customer service resources I've got bad news for them. Invulnerable mobs and people using high aggro beneficial spells to soft unlock targets will generate a lot of fucking petitions. You just know that some of this shit is going to bug out in the locked position and make areas unusable.

A couple cycles ago with Aradune and Rizlona they were advertising dedicated GM support as a feature

1683948971366.png

and now they're making the opposite a feature.

• 1Like

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Completely agree. This has someone's ego tied to it who won't budge. No other explanation imo.

I think FTE could be ok if done right. But they really shot themselves in the foot by puting it on test server 6 days before it was to be released. A major mechanic like this needed a month or so a at a minimum to work the small little details out and even then there would be issues that would need to be quickly addressed once it went live.

I am not sure how this is all coded but I suspect its not something they can hotfix so I really hope they get going with the fixes here. So far I have not seen any fixes posted and we are 2 business days away from the patch.

FTE might end up being ok..... but I would be extremely worried about what state its going to launch on the new TLP in.

• 1Like

Rucket

Golden Knight of the Realm
So basically every guild on the server, just came out against FTE. At least as it stands currently.

That letter was deleted (or removed) from the discord. Not sure if the original poster deleted it or DPG did. Anyway they reposted here:

Also, after the letter was put on the Discord Meeko said this lol:

9f7ffa10e330a76e02f5817bed1d8319.png

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Has Meeko been around long? He better have some PTO saved up because I doubt he wants any part of this launch.

• 1Like

RonTheDude

Silver Squire
Has Meeko been around long? He better have some PTO saved up because I doubt he wants any part of this launch.

Imagining these are devs are mostly gen z kids who WFH and managed to convince Daybreak that their 4 hours a week are actually 40+.

Daybreak leader: "The forums are in an uproar about our strategic FTE feature not working...have you completed your testing?"

Gen Z dev: "These boomer gamers are just whining because they just learned to use a mouse lol."

Daybreak leader: "I like your pizazz kid, keep up the hard work.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Meeko's had some interesting references before:

I think actively working to prevent and punish cheating is always good. I wish DPG was more consistent and forceful in how they did this.

There can be downsides however specifically when it comes to devs who play the game and are active in top live/tlp guilds.

As a thought experiment let’s imagine that Niente was actually Sirene from Twisted Legion and was also an active raider in Silent Redemption which is a top 5 retail EQ guild. Imagine that in this scenario Niente was the developer who specifically on her own agenda put in suspension wave tickets to get a mass number of MQ players suspended.

On the surface it’s not a big deal but what if she started doing this specifically before every big live content release and she forewarned her EQ guild leader that this was going to happen?

Let’s make the scenario just totally crazy and imagine that Meeko was also in that same guild and would give the guild leader of SR lists of who in the guild had used Macroquest in the last X months. Imagine if the GL then had the power to warn those members to stop or remove those members from their launch raid plans entirely before the suspension waves even hit.

That would be a huge tactical advantage over other live guilds. Again if Niente and Meeko were in Silent Redemption and forewarned their GL that suspensions would occur the day before content drops which would then disproportionately impact their competition but not their own guild.

Anyway, thats just a thought experiment and I am sure Niente, Meeko, Narwhal and co are not in this guild or TLP guilds because that would just be crazy.

EQ developers revel in their little fiefdom.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Imagining these are devs are mostly gen z kids who WFH and managed to convince Daybreak that their 4 hours a week are actually 40+.

Daybreak leader: "The forums are in an uproar about our strategic FTE feature not working...have you completed your testing?"

Gen Z dev: "These boomer gamers are just whining because they just learned to use a mouse lol."

Daybreak leader: "I like your pizazz kid, keep up the hard work.
lmao this is such a retarded take but go off king