EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I am fine with that but no bullshit we have ALOT Of people in here just playing "get on the bus" to just shit on Oakwynd without even playing on it. I have tried to about face and have discussion in regards to "the meta" on topic of Heirloom character meta but we get people unhinged here over losing OW content ON THE SERVER then it just spirals out of control from there. I've asked multiple times if certain people play on the server and its just crickets so is that fair to the topic at hand which is:

EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)​

It's EQ, of course it's going to be shit on. That was the #1 thing to do back in the day by everyone who played the damn game. No longer being a masochist doesn't mean they can't continue to do so.

JinxedChoker

Golden Squire
It's EQ, of course it's going to be shit on. That was the #1 thing to do back in the day by everyone who played the damn game. No longer being a masochist doesn't mean they can't continue to do so.
Will I still be allowed to put out media without talking? At the very least the shitposting can be confined to the YT comments.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Will I still be allowed to put out media without talking? At the very least the shitposting can be confined to the YT comments.
There's honestly not a very high bar here. If you check out the Pantheon thread Mr. Sox Mr. Sox diarrhea vomits constantly but the game is also shit so it doesn't matter. EQ is only slightly above that.

However, you're the #3 poster in this entire thread and most of that is in the last week or two, so that's probably where any complaints are coming from. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I guess some do. Just treat it more like a forum and less like Discord.

JinxedChoker

Golden Squire
There's honestly not a very high bar here. If you check out the Pantheon thread Mr. Sox Mr. Sox diarrhea vomits constantly but the game is also shit so it doesn't matter. EQ is only slightly above that.

However, you're the #3 poster in this entire thread and most of that is in the last week or two, so that's probably where any complaints are coming from. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I guess some do.
At least you seem genuine that you don't give a shit but if MODS need to get involved then I guess this thread is dead...sorry boys and girls, tried my best to carry it as long as I could. See ya Next TLP. Hopefully the 25th is a Banger!

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
The drama is always entertaining to read to some extent, but the non-stop use of gifs on like every other reply by the same person is fucking annoying.

Use a meme to make a point once in a while, but don't put one on like almost every single fucking reply.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
The mental picture that I have is a doughy middle aged white guy trying to show off his dunks on a driveway hoop at his parents house that's been lowered all the way down. He's trying to get the attention of all the kids walking by and everyone is just calling him a retard - but in his mind he's Michael Fucking Jordan.

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I feel the pangs of sadness that I get every time we lose an autist here. There’s a hole in the forum now- honestly it was always the shitshow worst of the forum that created the best content.

I say Shaw it and keep it going! Lol

Name: autistic Olympics: a new challenger emerges- is it jinxedchoker or EverQuest in general?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Excuse my lack of knowledge of the Oakwynd server and the FTE mechanids surrounding it, but how is an OW raid boss like naggy even contested? Person says in guild chat that it is contested. Wouldn't it just come down to whichever tracker tags it first then runs in a circle preventing naggy from moving, locking it to him for whichever guild they are from to come secure the kill? Don't understand why any raid boss on oakwynd would be contested past the initial trackers who are calling the batphones.

You can break the FTE lock trivially, all it takes it basically getting on the mobs aggro list via healing/buffing whoever has the initial lock. For regular ass XP mobs and stuff usually it takes long enough that whoever tagged it first will have enough damage in already to win the resulting DPS race, but on OW raid targets like naggy the ~30-60s it might take to get added to lock is not a big deal.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
If open world continues to be a thing we're going to see the meta advance to pullers having a row of key binds that block every single beneficial spell and then be blocking/clearing the blocks as they pull, get healed and get rebuffed. Even then you're still going to have to actually tank the fucking thing which is going to give the other guild all the time in the world to break the lock. It's not like the main tank can just block heals and buffs.

I guess Daybreak could add a flag along the lines of "only my group, raid or guild can land beneficial spells on me" to preserve the locking mechanism but I don't think anyone's going to give enough of a fuck given the level of competition. It's more likely this only matters a handful of times and everyone gets fucking blindsided by it when the 25th Anniversary Server Presents Free Tunare Paizuri launches next May and it's wall to wall hyper aggressive competitive weirdos.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I am fine with that but no bullshit we have ALOT Of people in here just playing "get on the bus" to just shit on Oakwynd without even playing on it. I have tried to about face and have discussion in regards to "the meta" on topic of Heirloom character meta but we get people unhinged here over losing OW content ON THE SERVER then it just spirals out of control from there. I've asked multiple times if certain people play on the server and its just crickets so is that fair to the topic at hand which is:

Man, you're such a victim. You're just trying to talk about Oakwynd on the Oakwynd thread!

So which is it, you're mad that people here are unhinged over "losing OW content on the server" (lol wat), or you're mad that people here don't play on the server?

Go back to the rainbow party or whatever it is that RI does in their spare time on uncontested servers.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If open world continues to be a thing we're going to see the meta advance to pullers having a row of key binds that block every single beneficial spell and then be blocking/clearing the blocks as they pull, get healed and get rebuffed. Even then you're still going to have to actually tank the fucking thing which is going to give the other guild all the time in the world to break the lock. It's not like the main tank can just block heals and buffs.

TBH Oakwynd's design could open up a whole new realm of tricks (some would say tryharding) for people who have the base game all figured out. The problem is...

I don't think anyone's going to give enough of a fuck given the level of competition.

...that with the level of competition on here, I don't think there'll be much impetus for the best of the best to spend the time learning this system and breaking it wide open.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm sure there's some fancy things to be done by having a group of pullers outside of the raid using /yell as a splitting mechanism but Classic is not an era that requires anything like that. Trash skips in open world VT should be super easy? You drop everyone from the raid and make one group of double DA classes. They run in first down the entire wing, everyone follows behind, drag whoever dies. Bam. Entire wing skipped.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I'm sure there's some fancy things to be done by having a group of pullers outside of the raid using /yell as a splitting mechanism but Classic is not an era that requires anything like that. Trash skips in open world VT should be super easy? You drop everyone from the raid and make one group of double DA classes. They run in first down the entire wing, everyone follows behind, drag whoever dies. Bam. Entire wing skipped.

I messed with this a bit on a CT deathball and it sure looks like it would work like you think it would - outside group/raid puller tags the deathball or whatever and just runs away and dies, mobs enter that weird grey name/locked state as they slowly walk back home and you can pretty indiscriminately tag them for free in that state.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I am really curious to see if they patch the FTE breaking. One on hand it preserves the apparent intent behind encounter locking. On the other hand it sends us down a much worse road potentially where the arms race ends at automated MQ2 Far Taunt bots snipe FTE the moment the 5 second lock is up, before a human can tag it. I think the “break fte” meta will be more interesting than the game of who’s bots have less latency.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I am really curious to see if they patch the FTE breaking. One on hand it preserves the apparent intent behind encounter locking. On the other hand it sends us down a much worse road potentially where the arms race ends at automated MQ2 Far Taunt bots snipe FTE the moment the 5 second lock is up, before a human can tag it. I think the “break fte” meta will be more interesting than the game of who’s bots have less latency.

In Kunark we're going to have people running around with every single beneficial spell in the game blocked far taunting key mobs. If I was out by myself at Rotting Skeleton I'd block everything. Anyone playing right probably needs a hotbar of blocking technology.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
The issue with FTE is that every 'solution' has a possible exploit. Just taking the encounter lock breaking for example.

If you make it so you can't break the FTE encounter, then you have to ensure that you cannot get aggro from an encounter locked mob at all, otherwise you will end up with grey mobs on you that you cannot respond to. As an anecdote, I've had this happen exactly once during Oakwynd, where my main was oog buffing my box group, the puller died and the mob was on my main but grey to both the box group and my main. It was low level, but even that 'felt' really bad.
The problem is, if you cannot get aggro on mobs that are encounter locked, that would lead to things such as leaving 100% of the clerics / support outside of the raid so they could heal with impunity. The solution to that is what, not allowing people to heal people who are locked in an encounter? The cure just becomes worse than the disease at some point.

As mentioned above, for XP mobs you gotta be on your shit to both a) break the encounter and b) win the dps race. I would imagine for any OW raid target, the encounter will be guaranteed broken within the first few minutes, meaning it just devolves back to DPS races. I think a good compromise would be for them to just say FTE is for grouping and not raiding. Mobs flagged as raid mobs ignore the mechanic and are always FFA. This could also have them tag entire zones as FFA (ntov, VT, VP, etc) to prevent the inevitable training exploits/skips.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The problem is, if you cannot get aggro on mobs that are encounter locked, that would lead to things such as leaving 100% of the clerics / support outside of the raid so they could heal with impunity
Based on the positive responses on Oakwynd I think the EQ population that likes FTE would be ok with it. Anything that makes EQ easier and less risky is positive. Just pay your sub, buy a bag and get your gerbil pellet of fun in a safe, non-triggering way.

I hope next year they release another, even easier version of FTE and then a hard-mode server that mixes some Vaniki in along with 50% respawn times. All the gerbils get their fun pellets and I get a challenge worth overcoming.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
The issue with FTE is that every 'solution' has a possible exploit. Just taking the encounter lock breaking for example.

If you make it so you can't break the FTE encounter, then you have to ensure that you cannot get aggro from an encounter locked mob at all, otherwise you will end up with grey mobs on you that you cannot respond to. As an anecdote, I've had this happen exactly once during Oakwynd, where my main was oog buffing my box group, the puller died and the mob was on my main but grey to both the box group and my main. It was low level, but even that 'felt' really bad.
The problem is, if you cannot get aggro on mobs that are encounter locked, that would lead to things such as leaving 100% of the clerics / support outside of the raid so they could heal with impunity. The solution to that is what, not allowing people to heal people who are locked in an encounter? The cure just becomes worse than the disease at some point.

As mentioned above, for XP mobs you gotta be on your shit to both a) break the encounter and b) win the dps race. I would imagine for any OW raid target, the encounter will be guaranteed broken within the first few minutes, meaning it just devolves back to DPS races. I think a good compromise would be for them to just say FTE is for grouping and not raiding. Mobs flagged as raid mobs ignore the mechanic and are always FFA. This could also have them tag entire zones as FFA (ntov, VT, VP, etc) to prevent the inevitable training exploits/skips.
What happens if you drop someone from raid mid fight? Does the name grey out for them? If dots are on a mob and you drop them from raid do the dots still tick? Does the dot tick damage count for the raid you were in when you cast it or you personally once you’re kicked?

Just kind of spitballing all the dumb things you could do with the system.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

We talking hard skips or soft skips?

Based on the positive responses on Oakwynd I think the EQ population that likes FTE would be ok with it. Anything that makes EQ easier and less risky is positive. Just pay your sub, buy a bag and get your gerbil pellet of fun in a safe, non-triggering way.

I hope next year they release another, even easier version of FTE and then a hard-mode server that mixes some Vaniki in along with 50% respawn times. All the gerbils get their fun pellets and I get a challenge worth overcoming.

My main worry about the 25th servers is that they'll finally do something worthwhile...twice over, so everyone will be split on what to do. Like a Selo-Vaniki challenge server plus Mischief 2. Rather they just combine those two ideas but yeah, I'd be totally torn on which to play. Well, better to get two really nice servers than zero I guess.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Reminds me of Agnarr Chokidai prods in Lake of Ill Omen. Some mage, maybe one of your Faceless bois, I can't remember. Charming maybe? He had the timer on SEQ and had 5 mages and they'd just start casting AoE rains 3 seconds before it popped and sniped every spawn that we couldn't double HT first. It was pretty dumb, but the dude did only take like 2-3 and then let people have the next few before he came back.

• 1Like