EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Any metric, once it becomes the sole standard to judge things, becomes a bad metric. The parse culture is a shining example of this. People waste 10 minutes in prep because Timmy the ranger wants every single shaman buff so the raid can kill the boss 10 seconds quicker.

As a tank, I wouldn't show up to a raid with empty slots though, that's just laziness. Even some banded or bronze fill pieces will suffice for anything in classic. Takes like 10 minutes to do.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
Any metric, once it becomes the sole standard to judge things, becomes a bad metric. The parse culture is a shining example of this. People waste 10 minutes in prep because Timmy the ranger wants every single shaman buff so the raid can kill the boss 10 seconds quicker.

As a tank, I wouldn't show up to a raid with empty slots though, that's just laziness. Even some banded or bronze fill pieces will suffice for anything in classic. Takes like 10 minutes to do.

Exactly. I've seen too many instances in which a guild focuses so much on one aspect of raiding or judging things by one generalized metric that they fail to take a wholistic approach and look at the dozen + other factors that are causing their raids to slow down or fail entirely.

I harped on the gear thing because that's the one I've seen the most often in terms of focusing too hard on one factor, and since others were bringing gear up. Parse culture is probably the second biggest thing people focus on too much. Focusing too much on parses is usually bad simply because the vast majority of people don't even know how to correctly judge and look at parses in the context of their own raids and efficiency.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Exactly. I've seen too many instances in which a guild focuses so much on one aspect of raiding or judging things by one generalized metric that they fail to take a wholistic approach and look at the dozen + other factors that are causing their raids to slow down or fail entirely.

I harped on the gear thing because that's the one I've seen the most often in terms of focusing too hard on one factor, and since others were bringing gear up. Parse culture is probably the second biggest thing people focus on too much. Focusing too much on parses is usually bad simply because the vast majority of people don't even know how to correctly judge and look at parses in the context of their own raids and efficiency.

Gear on a free trade server is the easily measured downstream of effort and desire. If your character has shit for gear on mischief it implies that you don't actually care about your character. It's more than just catching krono leaches, it's catching people that are just along for the ride and don't give a shit too.

Meanwhile, didn't gig have astral as a leader? Are you really suggesting that a guy in roi and amtrak leadership who even opponents would nod to, lacked knowledge? And krim too right, a guy doing tlp leading on like every tlp? These guys are ignorant? Fucking come on man. I don't know any decent eq player who would shit on astral. He's probably the most decorated leader in all of eq.

As for ch rots, a 10 cleric rot is completely fine and normal. If you do a 5 cleric rot all 5 of those clerics are now doing fuck all except ch rot shit. If you double it, you now add dozens of seconds between casts for clerics to better maximize their yaulps and also do shit like group or spot healing in between. Assuming they don't suck and miss their buttons. I set up massive rots like that on both combine and selo when I did rot setups and they worked fine. On fights like xegony you just need it, but on a fight like rz it means you can splash the add tanks or whatever. You can write another novel length reply on the passive aggressive need to fuck up a rot but at the end of the day nobody is going to see you missing calls in a good way no matter how much or what you say.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
Gear on a free trade server is the easily measured downstream of effort and desire. If your character has shit for gear on mischief it implies that you don't actually care about your character. It's more than just catching krono leaches, it's catching people that are just along for the ride and don't give a shit too.

Meanwhile, didn't gig have astral as a leader? Are you really suggesting that a guy in roi and amtrak leadership who even opponents would nod to, lacked knowledge? And krim too right, a guy doing tlp leading on like every tlp? These guys are ignorant? Fucking come on man. I don't know any decent eq player who would shit on astral. He's probably the most decorated leader in all of eq.

As for ch rots, a 10 cleric rot is completely fine and normal. If you do a 5 cleric rot all 5 of those clerics are now doing fuck all except ch rot shit. If you double it, you now add dozens of seconds between casts for clerics to better maximize their yaulps and also do shit like group or spot healing in between. Assuming they don't suck and miss their buttons. I set up massive rots like that on both combine and selo when I did rot setups and they worked fine. On fights like xegony you just need it, but on a fight like rz it means you can splash the add tanks or whatever. You can write another novel length reply on the passive aggressive need to fuck up a rot but at the end of the day nobody is going to see you missing calls in a good way no matter how much or what you say.

Astral was one of the raid leaders in GIG to my understanding, yes. Krim was also a raid leader in GIG yes, I was only in a couple raids of his as he was mostly a DZ raid leader to my understanding, and I really only ever did OW raids.

Yes Astral is a very knowledgeable raid leader in general, and I loved being in his raids on selos. However, Astral is more knowledgeable when it comes to later era raids and live raids. As were I assume several of the other raid leaders in GIG who were from guilds like ROI/Amtrak/AoS. Doing the raids with GIG in velious/luclin really opened my eyes to how large the gap is between the raid leaders from those guilds and people like Astral who is super knowledgeable in later EQ, when compared to the raid leaders of top guilds who have done the classic-pop progression every year for a long time now. Astral, as well as those other leaders had not led those era raids outside of a brief stint in luclin/pop since probably what, Phinny? And it showed, as raiding with GIG literally felt like raiding on phinny again. It is not shitting on Astral or those leaders to point out that their level of knowledge and knowing what is important in early era raiding is in no way close to the level of knowledge of the people who have led raids for the classic-pop era on every server over the years. Players ability to become incredibly efficient in raiding classic-pop increases every year, and I"ve seen mid-tier guilds on recent servers with more know how when it comes to early era raiding than them. It wouldn't even be logical to assume that the level of knowledge would be the same. It's the same thing if Astral was to come on here and say that Atabishi has no clue about how to lead raids in anything past Omens. That wouldn't be Astral shitting on me, that would literally be a fact. It wouldn't even be logical to assume based on my raid leading credentials of classic-omens in some way makes me magically knowledgeable in leading raids past omens. If you want a top raid leader for later era EQ, you go to the people who have done it the most like Astral. If you want a raid leader who knows classic-omens like the back of their hand, you go to people like me or other top leaders who have done these era's over and over and over and over and over.

As far as Krim, yes he has done raid leading on like every tlp, but it always been small man raids. leading raids with super low numbers is not the same as leading raids with 50-100+.

As far as CH rots, I can't believe you are even saying a 10 cleric rot is completely fine and normal. Maybe you are ONLY referring to pop as those were the examples you gave? I can maybe see how having more than 5 clerics in a CH rot is fine in some instances in PoP even though I wouldn't do it, but still understandable if some want to. But NEVER is that ok in classic-luclin as I even made SURE to only list classic-luclin when making that statement, but you are now referring to pop examples. Just because saying you did those kind of rots and it worked fine, doesn't make it right or the most efficient. If you have 10 clerics and are about to do a long raid zone with a ton of trash and bosses, never in any world would putting all those 10 clerics in the rot be more efficient and promote faster raiding clear time than if you just did 5 in the rot 5 out.

yerm

Ch rots are mostly used velious to pop. They're of minor importance before and after. I don't care which expac you pick, its true regardless, a 5 cleric ch rot is 5 clerics only casting ch and maybe yaulps if luclin+ and slow enough. A 10 cleric rot is perfectly fine and normal because it lets you fuck around in between and now have zero clerics unable to group heal or whatever. It works great.

Your problem sounds to have been that clerics weren't even complete healing. You said everyone was ducking shit because everyone else was spamming to oom to parse up and then needing breaks. That's not a rot problem, that's a fucksticks wasting mana and not letting the rot do its job problem. It's fixed by not taking breaks and forcing everyone to fucking die once or twice until they learn to not shit their mana away. What exactly is the downside to every cleric in the rot? If its huge enough you can even squeeze epic clicks in between your turns. It literally frees every single cleric to do whatever between casts, rather than having 5 people useless except for ch so the others can fuck about more. Again, fine and normal.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
Ch rots are mostly used velious to pop. They're of minor importance before and after. I don't care which expac you pick, its true regardless, a 5 cleric ch rot is 5 clerics only casting ch and maybe yaulps if luclin+ and slow enough. A 10 cleric rot is perfectly fine and normal because it lets you fuck around in between and now have zero clerics unable to group heal or whatever. It works great.

Your problem sounds to have been that clerics weren't even complete healing. You said everyone was ducking shit because everyone else was spamming to oom to parse up and then needing breaks. That's not a rot problem, that's a fucksticks wasting mana and not letting the rot do its job problem. It's fixed by not taking breaks and forcing everyone to fucking die once or twice until they learn to not shit their mana away. What exactly is the downside to every cleric in the rot? If its huge enough you can even squeeze epic clicks in between your turns. It literally frees every single cleric to do whatever between casts, rather than having 5 people useless except for ch so the others can fuck about more. Again, fine and normal.

CH rots can be used prior to velious and should be used to promote higher levels of efficiency and speed. For example Plane of Sky in Classic and Veeshans Peak in Kunark. If you were to race two raids of 72 doing a full clear in those zones, everything else being the same except one not using a CH rot, and one raid using a CH rot, the one not using it on bosses will lose that race 100 times out of 100 times. The entire purpose of a CH rot is that your raid never stops moving. It goes from one boss to the next without a break. The only time you would use a CH rot for a single boss with nothing to kill after, would be if the fight lasts so long that splashing would cause clerics to go OOM prior to the boss dieing, which I would agree doesn't happen much in classic and not at all in kunark.

Yes, I agree. What was going on wasn't 100% a problem caused by a 10 cleric rot, and could have been mostly fixed by not allowing med breaks and just overall having a better understanding of how to judge heal parses, but the 10 cleric rot still played a factor in what was going on.

The problem with a 10 cleric rot vs a 5 cleric rot with 5 splashers is that in a 10 cleric rot you are putting every cleric in a possible situation to expend more mana than they otherwise should. They are now thinking ok, if I'm not in a current cast of CH, I can throw in splashes. If you are to do a 5 cleric rot, those clerics will ALWAYS have enough mana. Doesn't matter if you are pulling in another boss as the current one is dieing, they will have the mana for it. It is a guarantee. It is a way of setting up the clerics to where you don't even need to do cleric mana checks or keep them on extended target to keep track of their mana. I guess a better way of putting it is a more efficient means of organization that takes away a lot of the ability for individual clerics to fuck up and slow down a raid by minimizing the amount of individual agency each cleric has.

There isn't any fight in classic-luclin that requires more than 5 clerics, not even AoW. Therefore, any cleric you have past that 5 is there as a bonus. It is irrelevant to the speed of your raid if the clerics outside the rot are oom or not. The job of the 5 CH clerics is to only CH on bosses, and during the trash clear to the next boss they are medding back to full if needed, and if full they can help heal during trash. Any cleric outside the rot does everything else. This is how you keep your raid non-stop moving. Could you do the same thing by putting all 10 clerics in the rot? Maybe in some instances, but not consistently. The individual agency allowed would ultimately cause a fuck up somewhere. Would a 10 cleric rot work if you were properly managing it? Sure, it would work. Would it be more efficient and faster than a raid doing it the other way? I don't think so, not consistently. Is managing your clerics to be the most efficient as possible the only thing you need to be doing? Of course not, there are a dozen other factors. Focusing on the rot topic is only marginal in terms of increasing efficiency and speed unless you are just completely fucking it up like in the example I gave of GIG. The CH rot issue was just one of many things that I saw that would have significantly increased their speed if fixed. Probably the biggest issue though, more than the CH rot, was the refusal to do things the fast way by saying "i don't trust our raid to do that." There were so many instances where other people brought up "why don't we do it this way or why don't we go this way instead?" but it was met with "this raid/guild is too retarded to pull that off" when it was all just stuff that is literally just the common way guilds do it these days, even casual guilds. They always seem to want to do everything the "phinny" way.

I don't want to keep bringing up issues with them as that was not even the purpose of the original point I brought up. I only brought up GIG as an example because that was the last time I experienced a place that had so many issues relevant to the context of the conversation. And like i said in my original post, I'm not shitting on their leadership, I know that they hadn't raided those era's in a very long time and had little experience when it came to early era's relative to the level of experience people are used to these days. I do think things could have improved a lot faster for them though if they would have dropped the attitude and ego when people would suggest things that were clearly far more correct than what they were doing.

Last edited:

yerm

Why would a 10 cleric rot cause more mana waste than a 5? So you end up with 10 clerics at 80% instead of 5 at 60% by your argument or something? Because a 10 rot the clerics are tempted to give into sin and splash to oom but in a 5 rot they are pidgeon holed out of mana waste? Sounds like the clerics need to stop wasting their fucking mana, full stop.

This entire rot argument sounds like a bunch of shitty clerics and/or cleric class leader(s) deliberately kneecapping the cleric masses to bandaid poor performance. A ch costs 400 mana per cast no matter how you spread it out. If you have 12 clerics and cast 200 ch casts between 5 of them or 10 of them its the same mana spent. Everything else is pure retardation man.

As for it not being of prime importance... bruh, come on, its what YOU brought up as more important than gear checking!

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
Why would a 10 cleric rot cause more mana waste than a 5? So you end up with 10 clerics at 80% instead of 5 at 60% by your argument or something? Because a 10 rot the clerics are tempted to give into sin and splash to oom but in a 5 rot they are pidgeon holed out of mana waste? Sounds like the clerics need to stop wasting their fucking mana, full stop.

This entire rot argument sounds like a bunch of shitty clerics and/or cleric class leader(s) deliberately kneecapping the cleric masses to bandaid poor performance. A ch costs 400 mana per cast no matter how you spread it out. If you have 12 clerics and cast 200 ch casts between 5 of them or 10 of them its the same mana spent. Everything else is pure retardation man.

As for it not being of prime importance... bruh, come on, its what YOU brought up as more important than gear checking!

Ok if the 10 clerics in the rot are also splashing, what is the point of the CH rot then to begin with? The people casting CH's and actually letting them land would be letting them land at a health that is inefficient. You can use the old tired argument of "sounds like the players are just bad" all you want, it's a pretty common thing to say from the people of your guild background which is pretty ironic and leads to a lot of the inside the box and narrow thinking that holds you back, but it doesn't change the fact that one way is more consistently efficient than the other.

Yes, I did bring it up as something more important than gear checking, but I also said that there are a ton of things more important than gear checking.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills even having this conversation and has taken things in to the completely wrong direction of the original post. I don't even know any raid leader or guild leader worth their salt that has done the early era grind over and over and over who believes that running a 10 cleric rot if you have 10 clerics in a raid is a good thing. When I was playing on mischief and even mentioned that they were running 10+ cleric rots in OW raids to many of the people I know that run super fast raids, we all laughed.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
tl;dr - Gear is tertiary to strategy and leadership. It wasn't your fault when you were a bad healer.

Big brain stuff, thank you for these gems.

yerm

Ok if the 10 clerics in the rot are also splashing, what is the point of the CH rot then to begin with? The people casting CH's and actually letting them land would be letting them land at a health that is inefficient. You can use the old tired argument of "sounds like the players are just bad" all you want, it's a pretty common thing to say from the people of your guild background which is pretty ironic and leads to a lot of the inside the box and narrow thinking that holds you back, but it doesn't change the fact that one way is more consistently efficient than the other.

Yes, I did bring it up as something more important than gear checking, but I also said that there are a ton of things more important than gear checking.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills even having this conversation and has taken things in to the completely wrong direction of the original post. I don't even know any raid leader or guild leader worth their salt that has done the early era grind over and over and over who believes that running a 10 cleric rot if you have 10 clerics in a raid is a good thing. When I was playing on mischief and even mentioned that they were running 10+ cleric rots in OW raids to many of the people I know that run super fast raids, we all laughed.

They're splashing people that aren't the tank, or the tank IF he's super low or if someone fucks up aka their python script is bad. They don't HAVE to heal the tank though. Like why is this needing an explanation? ANYTHING that a 5 cleric rot can do can be done by a 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... whatever. What even should be the difference? The more clerics you put into the rot, the more space each cleric has to do whatever else they need to do - group heal, yaulp, splash someone, ramp spotting, rez, whatever. Whatever advantage a 5 rot has is not lost in any way by adding more except if those clerics do things that they shouldn't and therefore a tight rot is literally leashing them out of bad behavior. There is no technical loss to adding more. Literally none.

Wanna know the REAL truth thought? I didn't just make thicc rots because I wanted to be able to click my kael legs or epic between turns. I did it because clerics in the rot HAVE to pay attention or they get exposed as garbage. I know you like to call me out for being elitist given my background (roi/tl/faceless mostly) but I don't care. It really does sound like you're bad. I don't care if I offend someone calling them bad. If you're a cleric who dumps your mana because you have ADHD and can't not cast you're bad, just like enchanters who think charming wasn't a thing back in the day, or monks who refuse to buff block mana song and blame bards for their trains, or dps who buff block cleric merc spells and die to damage shields. All bads.

yerm

To get back to your original point though... gear checking IS useful. Gear checking is not for the gear, it's to determine who doesn't give a shit, because not giving a shit is the #1 cause of slow raids.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Korillo

Molten Core Raider
Your CH rot should only have the number of clerics needed to fit the time spacing that you think is necessary. Every group should have a healer who's job is to keep the group alive. Ideally your best geared clerics are not in the rotation at all so they can duck heal/spot heal as needed. The primary benefit of the CH chain is the mana efficiency.

I would argue that adding more clerics then needed to the rot is bad. You run into too many situations where the rot gets delayed because someone is mid cast when their turn comes up, or can't manage watching the group/tank hp & watching the CH rot. These are EQ players we are talking about remember. You minimize the people in the CH rot, their job is easy. Cast CH - watch your cast bar, recast it pretty much immediately or close to it.

Tank deaths are also a disaster if every cleric is in the rot. Clerics panic, forget the order and all start spamming the tank with the ch chain taking too long to start back up. Let the healers outside the chain spam the next tank in line while the ch rot just keeps on chugging.

Edit: As a side note, heal parses are worthless. The only valuable thing to be looking at are the # of casts & ducks. CH chains should never duck their cast as it defeats the entire point of the chain. The healers outside the CH chain are responsible for fast casting not the CH clerics. The only time you should really be ducking a CH chain cast is if the fight is trivial and the tank is barely taking damage.

Last edited:

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
They're splashing people that aren't the tank, or the tank IF he's super low or if someone fucks up aka their python script is bad. They don't HAVE to heal the tank though. Like why is this needing an explanation? ANYTHING that a 5 cleric rot can do can be done by a 6, 7, 8, 9, 10... whatever. What even should be the difference? The more clerics you put into the rot, the more space each cleric has to do whatever else they need to do - group heal, yaulp, splash someone, ramp spotting, rez, whatever. Whatever advantage a 5 rot has is not lost in any way by adding more except if those clerics do things that they shouldn't and therefore a tight rot is literally leashing them out of bad behavior. There is no technical loss to adding more. Literally none.

Wanna know the REAL truth thought? I didn't just make thicc rots because I wanted to be able to click my kael legs or epic between turns. I did it because clerics in the rot HAVE to pay attention or they get exposed as garbage. I know you like to call me out for being elitist given my background (roi/tl/faceless mostly) but I don't care. It really does sound like you're bad. I don't care if I offend someone calling them bad. If you're a cleric who dumps your mana because you have ADHD and can't not cast you're bad, just like enchanters who think charming wasn't a thing back in the day, or monks who refuse to buff block mana song and blame bards for their trains, or dps who buff block cleric merc spells and die to damage shields. All bads.

I mean you can call me bad if you want, and you can also stick to your systems of how you do things all you want if you believe them to be better. I'll continue using my systems, the systems that have been PROVEN to facilitate splits that consistently finish raids faster than any other guilds ever have in any of the early era expansions. That's the funny part, you're arguing about efficiency and speed with a person who has PROVEN to know what they are talking about classic-pop in terms of raid speed and efficiency. You won't be able to even give me an example of guild that could consistently finish DZ raid nights or OW raids at even close to the speed. Maybe one day you will take your systems and way of doing things and theories and see if you can do DZ raid nights faster, I'll wait until then.

yerm

I mean you can call me bad if you want, and you can also stick to your systems of how you do things all you want if you believe them to be better. I'll continue using my systems, the systems that have been PROVEN to facilitate splits that consistently finish raids faster than any other guilds ever have in any of the early era expansions. That's the funny part, you're arguing about efficiency and speed with a person who has PROVEN to know what they are talking about classic-pop in terms of raid speed and efficiency. You won't be able to even give me an example of guild that could consistently finish DZ raid nights or OW raids at even close to the speed. Maybe one day you will take your systems and way of doing things and theories and see if you can do DZ raid nights faster, I'll wait until then.

Aradune splits were fast as fuck because you had the least number of boxes making up your numbers. Jesus christ come ON man.

edit - I'll put money that siirx led rizlona splits were faster still.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
I can't wade into all the autism here but I do tend to agree w/Bishi, as a long time TLP Cleric and someone who has made and managed CH rotations for all TLP content and managed the rot for a almost naked-guild Emperor Ssra kill, I just don't know of any realistic situation where 10 Clerics in the rot makes sense. On our Selo Emperor kill at server launch I don't remember our exact # of Clerics in the rot but it was likely 6 or so, we also had a floating Cleric spot healing (timing heals to land right after the Emperor big DD.) A lot of content in the early eras can actually be done with a 4 CLR rot running like a pause 30. There's a bit of having a feel for it though, you need to know what tanks are there for the kill and how geared they are, and have a good idea of how your raid usually performs. A fight that Guild A can get away with a 4 CLR rot on may genuinely require 6 CLR in another guild. But 10 just seems way too high for me, that was something you saw back in the super old school days of Velious with early AoW kills and things like that.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
Aradune splits were fast as fuck because you had the least number of boxes making up your numbers. Jesus christ come ON man.

edit - I'll put money that siirx led rizlona splits were faster still.

Yeah, sure, ok. boxes are the culprit!....ok lol.

You'd lose your money.

AtabishiRetired

Peasant
But 10 just seems way too high for me, that was something you saw back in the super old school days of Velious with early AoW kills and things like that.

Yeah I can remember some of OGC's first AoW kills and the CH rots were super big. Now days I think most guilds can do it with 5 in the rot and any others outside splashing.
For the last half of velious on Aradune, there were a lot of early am hour AoW kills that we only used me playing 5 clerics at the same time as our only clerics there. The last month of velious for ToV dz's, my split for clerics would just be 1 real cleric, and then me playing 5 clerics.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Fun fact, in the original days, Afterlife didn't use CH rotations until avatar of war, other than the Donals chain (that got the Donals nerfed) we used to kill Tormax in early velious.

yerm

I can't wade into all the autism here but I do tend to agree w/Bishi, as a long time TLP Cleric and someone who has made and managed CH rotations for all TLP content and managed the rot for a almost naked-guild Emperor Ssra kill, I just don't know of any realistic situation where 10 Clerics in the rot makes sense. On our Selo Emperor kill at server launch I don't remember our exact # of Clerics in the rot but it was likely 6 or so, we also had a floating Cleric spot healing (timing heals to land right after the Emperor big DD.) A lot of content in the early eras can actually be done with a 4 CLR rot running like a pause 30. There's a bit of having a feel for it though, you need to know what tanks are there for the kill and how geared they are, and have a good idea of how your raid usually performs. A fight that Guild A can get away with a 4 CLR rot on may genuinely require 6 CLR in another guild. But 10 just seems way too high for me, that was something you saw back in the super old school days of Velious with early AoW kills and things like that.

It's a lot to read so I won't fault you, you're completely right but it's diverged from what he was saying in the first place. He was arguing that too many clerics in the rot caused excessive downtime for med breaks which caused hours of split time to be wasted.

I was arguing that there is absolutely nothing about adding clerics to a rotation that causes LESS mana efficiency. Nothing about going from 6 to 7 causes your clerics to come out the end with less mana. That's just ridiculous. The whole thing about ducking heals and spamming spot heals to try to top the heal parse was nothing to fault the rot for either. I then presented a counterargument for why you can (and a couple times I did) run a really long rot. The real reason was to keep people at their keyboards, honestly, but besides that it was so EVERY cleric could potentially cast a group heal. If your rot does not have any slack in it then your rot is fucked if a cleric dies, disconnects, or sucks. If your rot has too many clerics in it... nothing, you just have a lot of clerics in the rot, what's the harm?