EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
aint nobody got time for that GIF

Most decent raid guilds should keep those lists on their discords somewhere

The server is nowhere near sweaty enough for these mechanics to really get pushed. The strategy around encounter locking is still first order - use big clicks to break locks and if someone is bind rushing spam some shit and sit down. We're not even at the second order strat of buff blocking Cure Disease and Rune IV. No one's doing that. I bet there's not a single player on the entire server with a curated list for every class ready to go on a hotbar. The onion almost certainly has more layers and we're just never going to get there. If the 25th Anniversary server brings everyone out they'll 100% find a bunch more shit.

The endgame of this is really simple. You put a checkbox in the options menu that blocks by default every single beneficial spell that is cast on you from someone that is not in your raid, group or guild. Period. I don't want you casting anything on me ever unless I know your name and you've bought me dinner first [X].

This is an option, but it really isn’t. Because you need to get anyone that’s going to be on threat onboard with this and there are glaring spell coverage gaps being limited to 40.

The move isn’t target the puller or main tank to get on the mobs threat table, target the rando dps that you see autoing with something to get swords, then spam your threat building bene spells on yourself. With sitting+low health it’s guaranteed in early xpac.

Three paths I see, assuming FTE exists.

1. an option that beneficial spells enabled or disabled with the same granularity that corpse consent has
2. Treat engaged mobs locked to you identical to how you would in a dps race
3. Disable FTE on MotM, keep the dps race as it has been without the extra steps.

Sorta? Probably? It's pretty easy to have everyone block what is known to be the best of the best threat generators during open world raiding. Cure Disease from Shield of the Immaculate, Bladestopper for Rune IV and it's going to take a lot more work to get to the top of the threat meter. The longer it takes the longer you have to get an insurmountable lead in the dps race. Even so during the pull it's going to be really hard to keep a lock intact. A couple casts of basically any beneficial spell will be enough to break a lock if that puller dies or FDs. That's a ton of fucking pressure.

The entire thing is just so fucking clunky. Most of the time it doesn't matter even a little bit but when it does it feels really bad and the solutions to try and protect yourself and make the lock actually a lock aren't enough.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
The server is nowhere near sweaty enough for these mechanics to really get pushed. The strategy around encounter locking is still first order - use big clicks to break locks and if someone is bind rushing spam some shit and sit down. We're not even at the second order strat of buff blocking Cure Disease and Rune IV. No one's doing that. I bet there's not a single player on the entire server with a curated list for every class ready to go on a hotbar. The onion almost certainly has more layers and we're just never going to get there. If the 25th Anniversary server brings everyone out they'll 100% find a bunch more shit.

The endgame of this is really simple. You put a checkbox in the options menu that blocks by default every single beneficial spell that is cast on you from someone that is not in your raid, group or guild. Period. I don't want you casting anything on me ever unless I know your name and you've bought me dinner first [X].

Sorta? Probably? It's pretty easy to have everyone block what is known to be the best of the best threat generators during open world raiding. Cure Disease from Shield of the Immaculate, Bladestopper for Rune IV and it's going to take a lot more work to get to the top of the threat meter. The longer it takes the longer you have to get an insurmountable lead in the dps race. Even so during the pull it's going to be really hard to keep a lock intact. A couple casts of basically any beneficial spell will be enough to break a lock if that puller dies or FDs. That's a ton of fucking pressure.

The entire thing is just so fucking clunky. Most of the time it doesn't matter even a little bit but when it does it feels really bad and the solutions to try and protect yourself and make the lock actually a lock aren't enough.

My bad for not quote replying, was intended for the guy asking about port blocking lists.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The other fix they can go with is take a second pass on item click threat generation and gut all the ones with beneficial clicks that slipped through. If more pop up in other expansions trash them as well. If you're just trying to break a lock with Superior Heal spam on the enemy tank that's actually trying to hold aggro that shit ain't gonna work. It's the clicks that are fucking up the math.

Mini

Lord Nagafen Raider
Once you are on the threat list at all you can now spam yourself with the beneficial shit to build hate. You really aren't going to block everything unless its like a 1v1 against a wizard or something dumb. A better use of time is adapting to the meta by having more of your tanks building agro or timing soft taunts to get a bunch of 2nd place so a tank death isn't a threat loss. Or just don't lose the dps race because fte is dumb.

As for blocked spells, there are a lot of good times for that. I recommend having on and off hotkeys for whatever you set up. I grew to really look down on pullers for example who bitched about bard spells or yelled for all bard songs off. No moron, block manasong on your monk, are you a retard? But these guys were your typical I know best types and do you wanna pull huh faggot you gonna pull thought not types. Don't be them. Learn to buff block. As a wiz or druid get really comfortable with blocking and unblocking your own ports to punt groups, and as a paladin with da management, for example. Don't be a shitter. Let the p99ers cover that; buff block like a pro.
100%. Defensive approaches never have been the winning strat when trying to jump metas through EQ. If you’re racing just treat it like a dps race and move on with it.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
If a guild already can't successfully mobilize to win a traditional dps race, it certainly isn't going to have an entire team with curated buff block lists. Besides, you're going to have your tanks block every single cleric heal? Once anyone gets on the aggro list, they no longer have to worry about block buff lists. Pullers should def be maintaining a list of common spammable encounter breaking spells, but really it's moot since almost every motm encounter will be broken while it's still in dps race range.

Is anyone really a winner when you race for Yael?
The only reason it's entertaining to race Yael is because of FTE. It adds an additional fuck you to your opponent that not only did you mobilize better than them, you non-consensually removed the mob from their encounter and violated it. It's peak EQ.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
The only reason it's entertaining to race Yael is because of FTE. It adds an additional fuck you to your opponent that not only did you mobilize better than them, you non-consensually removed the mob from their encounter and violated it. It's peak EQ.

Not really the DT mechanic is what removed FTE. They didn't really "mobilize" better then had like 5x as many people and got their second. I can't imagine the other raid was even an official raid, probably just some guild pug because someones XP group saw Yael on track. Yael takes like 2 groups to kill, with DZs there is much better things to be doing with your time in game. Burning Hoop charges and other clickies for Yael is like peak retardation.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Vicious guilds specialize in peak retardation, though.

In their defense, they're not really doing it for the gear.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
Not only do you get to have your own uncontested raid target every single week on TLPs via AoC, but on Oakwynd you can have as many of those targets as you want each week by having everyone level up more than one of the same class on the same account.

Each character gets it's own DZ timer and the gear is heirloom.

If for some crazy ass reason you want 5 shots at the best in slot gear on your warrior, create 5 warriors on the same account, and hit that raid target via AoC 5 times a week. Pass the gear to your main warrior on the account.

You literally don't have to race a single target on this server to be the best geared raid force.

Why someone would put that much effort in to it is beyond me, but its there if you want it.

*edited to add*
Just realized you don't even need more than 1 set of gear. Just pass your shit between your characters on the same account for each raid hit. Jesus is this even EverQuest anymore?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Not only do you get to have your own uncontested raid target every single week on TLPs via AoC, but on Oakwynd you can have as many of those targets as you want each week by having everyone level up more than one of the same class on the same account.

If for some crazy ass reason you want 5 shots at the best in slot gear on your warrior, create 5 warriors on the same account, and hit that raid target via AoC 5 times a week. Pass the gear to your main warrior on the account.

You literally don't have to race a single target on this server to be the best geared raid force.

Why someone would put that much effort in to it is beyond me, but its there if you want it.

*edited to add*
Just realized you don't even need more than 1 set of gear. Just pass your shit between your characters on the same account for each raid hit. Jesus is this even EverQuest anymore?

Yea this is all fine in theory, but it's not actually happening.

What's happening is everyone is whining and bitching about wanting to loot gear for their 'alts' that are level 7 and will never amount to anything but vanity projects.

The system on paper is a way to just have any many DZ lockouts as your guild wants, but no one is really doing that at all because guilds are made up of like 80% useless loot goblins.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

kinadin

<Gold Donor>

*edited to add*
A lot of people do that on Mischief and I constantly hear how it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Once you get into AAs and 2.0s it gets even worse. It's just not sustainable beyond maybe 1 other character of the same class after a certain point unless you've really been touched by the 'tism.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
A lot of people do that on Mischief and I constantly hear how it's kind of annoying and time consuming. Once you get into AAs and 2.0s it gets even worse. It's just not sustainable beyond maybe 1 other character of the same class after a certain point unless you've really been touched by the 'tism.

Yea realistically this system kinda boils down to the same rules as Selo with the shorter DZ lockouts, but just requires double or triple your time investment to level all the stupid alts to do it.

Server is gonna mega die once Velious hits and the raid content really camps up, and then just actually die when the 25th server hits.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah those extra characters are going to feel really bad when you need to do 8 shaman 2.0s and the new expansion drops 800 new AA and a pita quest chain for flagging.

• 1Rustled
  • 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

With the ability to move around almost every piece of gear between characters plus the experience bonus for having max level characters plus the AA exp bonus that comes with Luclin and scales over time plus bonus loot starting with Kunark PLUS THE GENERAL EXP BONUS THAT EVENTUALLY UNLOCKS AS WELL people should be able to maintain multiple characters. At the least you'd be able to have a copy or two of your main so you can help with doing Zlandicar splits or whatever. It still sounds like Selo with extra steps to me. Half unlock timers sounded great until you realized it meant doing everything twice as much. If the sweaties are doing three Time clears a week on three copies of their main with three copies of their favorite boxes I'd rather do anything else.

Yea this is all fine in theory, but it's not actually happening.

What's happening is everyone is whining and bitching about wanting to loot gear for their 'alts' that are level 7 and will never amount to anything but vanity projects.

The system on paper is a way to just have any many DZ lockouts as your guild wants, but no one is really doing that at all because guilds are made up of like 80% useless loot goblins.

I don't hate the encounter locking mechanism. It adds an extra wrinkle or two and it's got some upsides. The heirloom system is kinda neat and the little perks and bonuses baked in with each expansion seem alright. Seeing the loot/heirloom system play out in game rather than reading about it on the FAQ I think I hate it? It encourages people to be greedy fucks and it gets old fast. People squabble over garbage. You haven't lived until you've seen two people tear in to each other over some Ethereal Mist boots like two hobos battling over a half eaten pizza. For their alts. Their level 1 alts. Someone is always always always rolling need even if they've just been instructed not to and someone's bitching at them and they're bitching back. If I had a nickel for every time someone selfishly did the wrong thing knowing it was the wrong thing and then got indignant about it when the person they cheated out of an item brought it up I'd have a shitload of nickels. Watching the rolls at all puts you in danger of giving a fuck and giving a fuck is not the play. It's bad. Everyone has their hand out all the time because everyone has half a dozen little side projects they *might* need gear for. People scoop up multiple copies of the same item for their same class alts. It's the tragedy of the commons playing out every single day in Hate, Fear and Sky.

If everything was free trade than everything would have a price and it would all be transactional. Because it's hierloom but still no drop everyone's trying to grab as much as they can. It's loot it or lose it. There's a bonus for each max level character so a lot of people are telling themselves they're going to level and maintain a bunch of max level characters each expansion. For every person that will there are ten that won't but they're still all eye fucking each piece of trash in the loot window.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The loot system really does just bring out the fucking worst in people. I've had to just wear blinders for the last two weeks and ignore all of it I'll have a rage stroke and just eject half the raid for being useless goblins.

A month in now and generally in an awkward spot. It's pretty obvious at this point FTE (the guild) doesn't have what it takes or the right member base to actually contest big OW targets, so it's just gonna basically be a DZ guild with some delusions of grandeur over taking a few OW things here or there that they know won't get contested.

Calling a 'batphone' at 8m CST and getting ~40 people counting boxes is pretty damning, so now I'm in a spot of do I just stick it out here and be a DZ casual, or do I go talk to RI and attempt to put up with there nonsense to actually kill more dragons etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
It was nice leveling toons without people being able to train you.

Then you realize there is not really much else going on to hook you.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I don't miss trains one tiny bit. Someone pulls like an idiot all they can hurt is themselves and anyone stupid enough to group with them.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I am told that the guy who stole the Faceless guild bank on Agnarr is an officer in FTE. Rip.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like