EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I think selo had the right idea with launching in a later expansion.

Killing emp with naked toons at 60 was good fun.

I don't think any specific tweaks they can make to the game itself to make it harder will really do anything. The game has been solved many times over.

I think they only way they can make an actual fun TLP in the future would be to flat out drop the no drop tag and after playing on vaniki get rid of all level requirements.

Start the server in TSS.
Free Trade FV or Mischief random, really dont care though mischief allows many more areas to open up for play
Just no truebox anything. Ban the people openly mq2ing. Play 6 like a normal person.
DOUBLE LOOT. Dont ever screw with the lockout timers or give people more chances to murder themselves raiding each week, just double the goddamn loot.

That's really all they need to do, TSS launch so you can play where you want. Free Trade, No Truebox. No gear level requirements. Double Loot. Thanks now get on it.

Then if you want specific hard mode achievements just set them up with hard capped level requirements or raid size etc. I think trying to build the server around the challenges just isn't the right idea.
Still having required and recommended levels was one of the biggest missteps they did on Vaniki. Outside of the achievements, it makes a decreasing incentive to actually see how far you could push.

It could have also been cool if some of the higher level spells/abilities that were beyond your current level could be put on certain encounters as a reward for beating them.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Well they did remove the required level on gear for vaniki. They just had recommended levels and really the stat lowering isnt too bad at all.

I ran this 55 monk for the achievement raids the other day and he's a little beast. Mainhand from HH Crushbone and offhand is a HoT droppable scaled down for a 55.

Screenshot (407).png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Well they did remove the required level on gear for vaniki. They just had recommended levels and really the stat lowering isnt too bad at all.

I ran this 55 monk for the achievement raids the other day and he's a little beast. Mainhand from HH Crushbone and offhand is a HoT droppable scaled down for a 55.

View attachment 482459
My bad there. I guess I just remember some of the louder people complaining about there still being required levels but maybe they just meant the recommended. The scaling there is pretty reasonable and it certainly explains why people can hop on and do these achievement raids without a ton of hassle.

Frenzic

Lord Nagafen Raider
The funny thing is that all the regular players on the official forums will be baffled as to why they made it easier to deal with FTE when power leveling rather than making it harder on the power levelers.

It's so fucking obvious and people truly just refuse to see it.
  • Bots run 24 hours a day 365 days a year with out being shut down by GMs
  • Doing anything near one of these farming crews that in any way hampers them will usually get you a suspension and not them
  • Posting screen shots, videos, or simply mentioning the name of these characters on the forums gets you in trouble and the thread locked
  • And, the real kicker... you never see a GM around until you piss off just the right person in game, and then they are all over your ass accusing you of shit
  • MQ and programs like it are used rampidly on every server and have been for literally ever
  • There's not a single hardcore raid guild that doesn't have at least one person using eyes, and it's done on every server and always has been
Getting suspensions boils down to who you piss off and whether they have a pocket GM or not.

What is it going to take to get the normal average player to realize that the rules are there for the corrupt employees to keep the paying customers from interfering with their black market second income? I don't think they ever will.

Where and who are you referring to? Pocket gm? You're paranoid. Bot crews rarely petition :cool:

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
It's amazing that people are even more toxic than when first playing decades ago. Just a simple thing like farming Quill in S Karana for the stupid mage epic, and even at 6 am on a weekend there's drama. A bard charming and high sunning the placeholder, then a wizard that can warp around with magical tracking complaining about it lol.

Best epic quest ever.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's amazing that people are even more toxic than when first playing decades ago. Just a simple thing like farming Quill in S Karana for the stupid mage epic, and even at 6 am on a weekend there's drama. A bard charming and high sunning the placeholder, then a wizard that can warp around with magical tracking complaining about it lol.

Best epic quest ever.
I think there's just a lot of people that don't actually enjoy playing the game, they are just addicted to some kind of dopamine rush from "progress". So anything that interrupts that addiction is an attack on their entire life.

• 4Like
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 5 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The toxic bullshit was there way back when. Most people just didn't know or care. If you play eq today like the typical person had done in era - not racing to max, barely if ever going on a raid, camping who cares where - no drama!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
The toxic bullshit was there way back when. Most people just didn't know or care. If you play eq today like the typical person had done in era - not racing to max, barely if ever going on a raid, camping who cares where - no drama!
I think they ruined that part of the game nerfing some aspects of solo, or alternatively buffing other parts. Some of the tinkering should be undone imo

• 1Solidarity

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 482459

Whoa, that's pretty much SoF level gear (with TSS ratios) at level 55.

Needless

Toe Sucker
is it kunark or velious when an abundance of resist gear starts appearing? must be velious? i remember doing lguk on my bard on mischief having like 180 MR and not having to worry about root shit when pulling, but my monk only has like 70 tops

DickTrickle

is it kunark or velious when an abundance of resist gear starts appearing? must be velious? i remember doing lguk on my bard on mischief having like 180 MR and not having to worry about root shit when pulling, but my monk only has like 70 tops
Velious has much more resist gear.

That said, with a drum (especially Naggy drum) you could twist two songs with MR components so I'm sure that's the largest part of the difference.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

View attachment 482459

The challenges really lose all meaning when you're that many expansions ahead gearwise

• 1Truth!

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
The challenges really lose all meaning when you're that many expansions ahead gearwise

Yeah you can't really say the ten level gap or the raid challenges ain't shit when you're doing these things well after the fact with more expansions open.

I always thought it was mean on the part of the devs how LGuk has this great HP ring that's easy to get... and it has -10 MR on it which is huge at that point and ruins it.

• 1Like

Cukernaut

Sharpie Markers Aren't Pens
<Gold Donor>
I got to about 115 on my necro self buffed no pots and it was great for fucking toads in fear

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah you can't really say the ten level gap or the raid challenges ain't shit when you're doing these things well after the fact with more expansions open.

I always thought it was mean on the part of the devs how LGuk has this great HP ring that's easy to get... and it has -10 MR on it which is huge at that point and ruins it.

Its for your charm pets to wear. S tier leveling item!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I don't think any specific tweaks they can make to the game itself to make it harder will really do anything. The game has been solved many times over.
Then if you want specific hard mode achievements just set them up with hard capped level requirements or raid size etc. I think trying to build the server around the challenges just isn't the right idea.

I don't feel like the mechanics of the game are worthy of being a lot harder. Like, the current game design every time you make something objectively harder you quite easily risk it being simply more tedious as well. Not to mention the repetitive nature of playing an MMO exacerbate any tedium, in my opinion.
Agreed, for the most part. Raid-wise we were able to roll a lot of content that we were ten levels short on. Kunark/Velious/Luclin at 50 isn't nearly as bad as one would think. The problems came with things like GoD at 55, DoDH at 60, TSS at 65. The latter had more to do with available cures and so on.

Group content by and large isn't hard with a ten level deficit. We had zero trouble farming group content in PoR (the highest 70 expansion) at 60 even with deficient numbers. The raids are where any difficulty crops up on that server, and even then it varies wildly.

The most fun I had raid-wise was PoP at 55. Was more challenging than the earlier expansions at 50, by a good margin, while not going into the "practically unwinnable" level of some of the later stuff. Without PoP gear yet, that first run of PoP fights at 55 could be absolutely blistering and a good rush. Emperor Ssra was also a lot of fun.
I didn't play on Vaniki so I'm kinda ignorant on how it works out, but what I'm mostly looking for in a TLP ruleset is something that:

* Reduces time spent waiting on respawn or running around the zone pulling ridiculous amounts of rooms
* Increases player collaboration by making the content less of a loot pinata and more of a challenge to overcome
* Makes the content hard enough that players are motivated to properly gear up ahead of the next expansion

Maybe I'm alone in this and making EQ harder just isn't interesting to people, but it feels like holding player-level back a bit for part of an expansion and increasing spawn rate back is straight forward way to do that.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Its for your charm pets to wear. S tier leveling item!

Yeah it's great for that. IIRC I gave two of them to my Alizewsaur on whichever server that was (Aradune probably) and had it like that from 47-50. Or maybe it was one? Do rings double up on charmed pets?

There are so many little enchanter tricks that make a big difference. It's in my 3 favorite classes with Monk and SK. I like FD a lot, but man enchanters are interesting.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah it's great for that. IIRC I gave two of them to my Alizewsaur on whichever server that was (Aradune probably) and had it like that from 47-50. Or maybe it was one? Do rings double up on charmed pets?

There are so many little enchanter tricks that make a big difference. It's in my 3 favorite classes with Monk and SK. I like FD a lot, but man enchanters are interesting.
Would love if EQ embraced enchanter charm throughout EQ up to live. It's one of the few truly high-risk, high-reward gameplay styles in MMO gaming.