EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean even prior to this EQ hasn't been a real game for some time. There was a window back they introduced the first 'true box' TLPs or whatever the term is where they seemed to actually care a bit and things were looking decent, but that era is long gone.

The level of outright cheating and fully automated 60 man raid armies that exist on Oakwynd is laughable. If anything this plat dupe will actually help the server as it means the automated farm crews no longer have a purpose as plat is worthless and there won't be 20 picks of Siren's Grotto 24/7 anymore.

I have 0 faith that they can actually launch a 25th anniversary TLP that is worth half a shit at this point. Even if they manage to come up with some kind of actually compelling ruleset, their complete lack of ability or willingness to deal with the automation that happens in the game will torpedo it entirely.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Yeah, acting like the issue is some amorphous vague "diversity hire" problem is to ignore most of the history of EQ management.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
Yes. Lets fucking go. My idea with this would be rares and raids dropping their whole table on kill, so you get everything/anything you want to hunt for reasonably easily if you camp it once. Pipe dream idea though, since the devs and former devs who are friends with current devs making fortunes don't make money there.

I wonder how much "side money" the Devs pocket in EQ. Probably well over 6 figures / year.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
Probably well over 6 figures / year.
J Jonah Jameson Laughing GIF

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm sure it's just a way overly chill office where hardly any work gets done. The shit runs itself for the most part, customer service is a waste of money in the grand scheme of things but then you get this kind of event you really can drop the ball on autopilot.

They still churn out expansions every year so I'm sure that's where the entire focus is.

Nobody worth a shit is working for this company when so much more money can be made doing the same job elsewhere. Last I saw they weren't paying enough of a wage to even afford a studio apartment. It's really a miracle that the game hasn't been jacked by hackers and deleted by now.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Remember nothing is wrong, posting the names of cheaters is against the rules, spreading false information is harmful, and more new 40 slot bags are on sale. Thanks!

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 7 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I never thought I'd say this but bring back Holly plz. JChan is so invisible she may as well not even be there. I'd take some casuals not fighting Nagafen about right now instead of poses with toys and stupid hats.

DickTrickle

I'm sure it's just a way overly chill office where hardly any work gets done. The shit runs itself for the most part, customer service is a waste of money in the grand scheme of things but then you get this kind of event you really can drop the ball on autopilot.

They still churn out expansions every year so I'm sure that's where the entire focus is.

Nobody worth a shit is working for this company when so much more money can be made doing the same job elsewhere. Last I saw they weren't paying enough of a wage to even afford a studio apartment. It's really a miracle that the game hasn't been jacked by hackers and deleted by now.
Based on discord interactions it definitely feels like an overly chill office manned by people who, even if they aren't geniuses or anything, are still underpaid. They also seem incredibly siloed in their responsibilities, which I can understand to some degree given the age of the game (it's a lot harder to build up a knowledge foundation in legacy code). None of that excusesp leadership decisions, whether by JChan or the higher level executives' mandates.

After dreamweaver, they've also hired some of the biggest asshole community moderators who bring zero value (maybe by design). Ngreth is better at community interaction than those jokers and he gets offended too easily.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah, acting like the issue is some amorphous vague "diversity hire" problem is to ignore most of the history of EQ management.

Yeah I’m sure they are immune to the cancer that has toppled companies 5 times larger in the last couple years. Somehow Daybreak is the only audio that hasn’t been brought down by checking boxes.

Bungie is revenue is 50 percent lower than projected because they have spent more time on Trans days of inclusion lately than they have addressing PVP, Gambit, or pve issues outside of raids. But yeah small ass shitty daybreak is immune.

DickTrickle

Yeah I’m sure they are immune to the cancer that has toppled companies 5 times larger in the last couple years. Somehow Daybreak is the only audio that hasn’t been brought down by checking boxes.

Bungie is revenue is 50 percent lower than projected because they have spent more time on Trans days of inclusion lately than they have addressing PVP, Gambit, or pve issues outside of raids. But yeah small ass shitty daybreak is immune.
Way to miss the point (and still provide no actual specifics -- EQ revenue has been largely consistent since EG7). You can't be brought down if you're already down to the bare minimum. EQ management has long been pretty fucking terrible and that started long before any blue hair crazes. Just the amount of EQ revenue that was used to develop and support other games without reinvesting into EQ itself is pretty awful.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The entire culture of the game has become corrupted at the top. You have numerous literal daybreak employees running mass box schemes. Like what does it tell you when a guy who worked there now posts here at times and is a giant rmter? Maybe it's not a racket where all the devs get kickbacks. Maybe it's just a dev lets a friend from years back go because who cares everyone rmts anyway this guy is cool.

The whole punishment process is also so obviously designed to avoid financial downfall and any litigation. Vigilante exposure of cheaters risks bullying tactics or worse. Better to let 1000 obvious cheaters go than to risk 1 innocent person exposed on a forum and take it to court. Same deal for bans; they are suspensions as it keeps the money around.

Feel free to go ahead and hear former devs talk here about their giant rmting, or zaide podcast about how devs had giant bot armies and used their position for personal advantage or cover, and see that NOTHING has ever been done to stop this... and think it doesn't still happen.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

hory

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Jchan was a good programmer and developer. She's a very poor manager and leader.

• 1Like

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Now don't get all negative, we did get mischief.

Mischief era also had it's duping issues which nobody really believed for months and for the most part we all still had fun in spite of it.

Yelinak and oakwynd have been really lackluster in my opinion, so I'll chalk that up to poor decision making.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Now don't get all negative, we did get mischief.

Mischief era also had it's duping issues which nobody really believed for months and for the most part we all still had fun in spite of it.

Yelinak and oakwynd have been really lackluster in my opinion, so I'll chalk that up to poor decision making.

I'm sure people still don't believe it today, which shows how much of a smaller scale it was than this. Krono prices would randomly double overnight every once in a while, but it didn't go full Zimbabwe

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm sure people still don't believe it today, which shows how much of a smaller scale it was than this. Krono prices would randomly double overnight every once in a while, but it didn't go full Zimbabwe
It’s definitely gotten worse and worse with each new server the past few years.

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I ask you... if DBG was to shut its doors and disappear, would the industry really give two shits? The players would care, but only because they have nostalgia for EQ. Beyond that, nobody would even notice if the company vanished one day.

DBG literally exists because of a product created over two and a half decades ago. It's sad that they have their fingers in other titles like Lord of The Rings Online, but thank God they are not the development house for that game.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
I ask you... if DBG was to shut its doors and disappear, would the industry really give two shits? The players would care, but only because they have nostalgia for EQ. Beyond that, nobody would even notice if the company vanished one day.

DBG literally exists because of a product created over two and a half decades ago. It's sad that they have their fingers in other titles like Lord of The Rings Online, but thank God they are not the development house for that game.

It would resonate more with MTGO going away then with EQ. DBG have actually been doing really good things there and the platform has been the best it has been in many years since they took over.

Juvarisx

Florida

If Quarm could get a better client for camera reasons (unless its been fixed in the past couple weeks) NOONE would care about TLP if Quarm recycled every couple years

• 1Picard

Pharone

Trakanon Raider
I just replied to this thread, and in less than a minute, my reply vanished from that thread.

I said "This company is pure evil, and they will continue getting away with it as long as you keep giving them your money." Apparently, that's an instant deleted reply LOL. Wow. These fucks are beyond help.

• 1Moron
  • 1Picard