EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
King and Queen in rss suck only because it is purely an OW fight with no AoC

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
1658280680053.png

Emp pet illusion reward model.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
On Yelinak, so standard TLP experience rates what's the going time to go 50-60 in a hardcore static? Like not server first time, but pretty fast?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Lethar 2.0 without corruption cures seems close to impossible. I have zero faith the dev even thought of this aspect.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
King and Queen in rss suck only because it is purely an OW fight with no AoC

That sounds great, some real competition over that one.

That's the first reward that's an eye catcher.

Bad news, it's a single-claim. I claimed it on my SK and now have an Emp Ssra pet, but I immediately felt dirty because someday I'll have an actual pet class and wish I hadn't claimed this.

Lethar 2.0 without corruption cures seems close to impossible. I have zero faith the dev even thought of this aspect.

Ya there are a lot of holes in this concept. Here's what I'd do:

-Change all fun-item claims to 999, like titles are (obviously I'd leave currency alone)

-Add Innoruuk to the classic cheevos

All four 60 cheevos have issues. The OOW one is for open world only mobs, and the cheevos only pop in DZs as I understand it? So....yeah

-Change RSS King/Queen to Ture

-Change Vish to Yar'Lir (I think Vish is beatable, most people don't)

-Change Sendaii to Matriarch Shyra

-Change Deathknell 1 to "defeat all of the Theater of Blood bosses"

-Change Lethar to Vergalid

-Change Meldrath to Big Bynn

-Change Cazic to Tick Tock

-Change VOA Resplendent Temple raid to Sarith raid

-Change Defense of the City to a level 95 cheevo instead of 90

-Change Balance of Power to the Overthere cactus raid

I think sticking to an early or mid-tier fight for each expansion is a good idea, some of the cheevos having super-late fights probably won't go well.

As far as non-achievement changes go, Cragbeast Queen's regen is obscene and might need to be tweaked to be killable at 55.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I posted all that on the board with some added rationalizations. Maybe it'll get some dev attention:

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
On Yelinak, so standard TLP experience rates what's the going time to go 50-60 in a hardcore static? Like not server first time, but pretty fast?
Had a guildie who was among server first 60s on Aradune. That took about 17 hours with a break and some server fuckery mixed in. Think they had like 2-3 charm pets and OOG box support.

So maybe around 20-25 hours? I wanna say that's around when you'll start seeing level 60s.

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Yeah 20-25 might be typical depending on group comp, pot usage etc.

Chardok is the place to do it, with 2 or 3 charm pets. Ideally you want a Chanter, but Necro's are also very stronk here with the undead pets. Druids can charm the doges, even before the recent patch, but those can be annoying because they rabies everything, but DPS is DPS I guess, all 3 classes can charm to 53 relatively early in the expac and all their pets have the same max hit which IIRC was mid 200's, but might be lower 200's now due to charm nerf.

Seb juggs is where you go at 60 or high 50's to get spells, chardok is generally superior xp wise but much much lower spell drop rate aside from a couple of niche ones that only drop there.

TairyGreene

Silver Knight of the Realm
Right, I forgot to mention they were at Chardok Kennels, which is one of the best xp camps in Kunark.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just don't see how Meldrath is doable at 70. SOF is a pretty big spike in difficulty after the TSS/TBS era. Meldrath himself is pretty tough, but even just getting to him is gonna be a shit show. Krond? Brenda? Tactical Prototype? Breakneck even? And its not like you can do it OW either and bring 200 people its capped at 54. These mobs hit for like 15k lol

• 1Like

Ikkan

Molten Core Raider
I just don't see how Meldrath is doable at 70. SOF is a pretty big spike in difficulty after the TSS/TBS era. Meldrath himself is pretty tough, but even just getting to him is gonna be a shit show. Krond? Brenda? Tactical Prototype? Breakneck even? And its not like you can do it OW either and bring 200 people its capped at 54. These mobs hit for like 15k lol
I think this is one of the issues with how they laid out the level locked TLP. Sure you can zerg and bind rush shit early on, or find ways around mechanics easily. But when you get to 54 max in later expansions, you're just not going to be able to do it 10 levels below imo.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I don't believe they really 100% thought out things like what spells / zones / etc people would have access to. Charm pets have been a big boon, for example, but from 55-60 we don't get a new spell, so we are stuck at 63 max charm level through all of the 60 unlock. Certain things like the Imbue line for Planar crafted armor and certain 1.5s unlock post 60, so even though the xpac / zones are open, you can't obtain them since we'll be stuck at 60 for 3 months. We also lucked out with the VT unlock happening without needing Emp. We were able to wring so much loot out of VT for the tanks that was required for targets, but VT being level unlocked was definitely not part of their thinking when choosing targets. 55 range feels tight with Emp/SolRo/DeepGuk/CBQ, but when they set the original schedule, only Cragbeast Queen was an achievement target and they didn't revisit the schedule when adding new targets.

This is a similar problem with SolRo. We had 4 weeks to do Sol Ro, and he's probably doable at 55 in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it also involves fully flagging a raid up through Sol Ro and downing targets like LMM and RZ at 55, which they may not have considered. With only a month to get all of that done, plus Emp, plus Guk, plus CBQ, we've basically been raiding every single night to make sure we can keep up.

I'd imagine most people joined this server as a 'side challenge server' that would be limited content because of the level lock. So far it's required more time than most other TLPs I've played on. I will say, this server is the closest I've felt to the original EQ gameplay of all the TLPs. Doing things like Sewers/Ferubi/Elemental Planes while severely underleveled gives back that feeling of danger and crawling through a dungeon, where any bad CC break or pull can fully wipe you.

• 1Truth!

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I don't believe they really 100% thought out things like what spells / zones / etc people would have access to. Charm pets have been a big boon, for example, but from 55-60 we don't get a new spell, so we are stuck at 63 max charm level through all of the 60 unlock. Certain things like the Imbue line for Planar crafted armor and certain 1.5s unlock post 60, so even though the xpac / zones are open, you can't obtain them since we'll be stuck at 60 for 3 months. We also lucked out with the VT unlock happening without needing Emp. We were able to wring so much loot out of VT for the tanks that was required for targets, but VT being level unlocked was definitely not part of their thinking when choosing targets. 55 range feels tight with Emp/SolRo/DeepGuk/CBQ, but when they set the original schedule, only Cragbeast Queen was an achievement target and they didn't revisit the schedule when adding new targets.

This is a similar problem with SolRo. We had 4 weeks to do Sol Ro, and he's probably doable at 55 in a vacuum. Unfortunately, it also involves fully flagging a raid up through Sol Ro and downing targets like LMM and RZ at 55, which they may not have considered. With only a month to get all of that done, plus Emp, plus Guk, plus CBQ, we've basically been raiding every single night to make sure we can keep up.

I'd imagine most people joined this server as a 'side challenge server' that would be limited content because of the level lock. So far it's required more time than most other TLPs I've played on. I will say, this server is the closest I've felt to the original EQ gameplay of all the TLPs. Doing things like Sewers/Ferubi/Elemental Planes while severely underleveled gives back that feeling of danger and crawling through a dungeon, where any bad CC break or pull can fully wipe you.
Definitely feels like doing a timed unlock + requiring *someone* beat the encounter to unlock the next level increase would dramatically improve the server, especially if they backed it with changing the raid targets if the server was stuck for too long on a boss.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Vaniki is actually a lot of fun. Leveling is fast and the charm/fear/mez/stun changes are great. You can really get in over your head charming some absolute crazy bullshit. Double loot is A+. More raid loot is great of course but you also get to do big quests two at a time. Twice as many tradeskill mats drop. I'm not ever going to be able to play again without some kind of Mischief or Vaniki loot juice.

Spending a month at level 40 sucked the root. A bunch of classes are missing basic abilities, you're mostly kiting or charming to get anywhere and raid encounters take a long ass time to kill. Bind rushing Kael at 40 is an awful slog. It's still an awful slog at 50. Unclear flagging/keying rules/unlocks caused a whole lot of people to waste a whole lot of time on things that turned out to be irrelevant. The initial achievement list was wack.

BUT

While level 50 was better doing really fucking crazy hard shit at 55 is a hoot. When something big goes down it feels like an accomplishment rather than a checkbox. The server is fun.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

Yeah, it probably isn't. Anyone who has done the level 80 era knows how insanely steep that fight's damage output is even at 80 and geared-up.

Guy on the EQ board replied to my post that I want to make Vaniki "easy".

No, not easy, just actually doable

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I havent done expansions past OoW, but I’ve underestimated the sheer autism that neckbeards have enough times to where I won’t say anything is impossible.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I havent done expansions past OoW, but I’ve underestimated the sheer autism that neckbeards have enough times to where I won’t say anything is impossible.

Good point.

Unrelated, Amod Amod Can we change this thread title to "EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)" since there's a specific Yelinak thread now, for neatness

• 1Like