EQ TLP - Vaniki (Level-Locked Progression)

Xeris

Trakanon Raider
X Xeris alright how many achievos are we looking at locking down before the next content release? Ten? Fifteen?

We require an update on the situation and a prognostication on whether the next batch are doable.

I have 0 clue about anything beyond where we are right now, so I couldn't say. I know we attempted Vish once. Have been busy with work so didn't play the past week, not sure if we did another attempt. I don't think we will get the other lvl 60 achievements.

My guess is: if we could only get 1 of the lvl 60 ones, not sure if the 65 ones are doable... I've def heard on forums people explaining why they can't be done but I never played this far into EQ so I'm learning as things come up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Swarws

Silver Squire
New levels, new expansions, new funs!

<Rusty Dagger> still going strong, recruiting most classes that want to experience a challenge rather than the same old boring faceroll servers.
Raid Days M-Tue-Thur @ 5:30pm PST. Message Swarws, Gooplink, Kraidem, or Devastation in game! Always happy to help new folks to the server level and gear up.

Raid 1 (Vergalid) in TSS dead!

unknown.png

Also went and did Vishimtar for that sweet 1% spell resist.

unknown.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
So...I was right that Sendaii and Deathknell weren't happening at 60? What about Vish?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
If Vish didn't happen at 60, very little chance Lethar is happening at 65 or Meldrath at 70. I thought Vish would be doable since it's mostly execution.

I hope we see a Vaniki 2.0 next year (or the year after) with better thought-out objectives and clearer structure (in terms of unlocks). There is a solid blueprint of what to do / what not to do now.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Vish is mostly execution at 70 but I'm guessing the damage/ae output at 60 is nearly impossible to deal with it.

I don't think we'll see a Vaniki 2.0. Low engagement and probably more Dev investment than they want to give. You think they could have at least one dedicated TLP person when it's supposedly close to half their revenue but no.

• 1Like

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I am pretty sure the Devs mostly resent TLP and wish they could focus solely on live content but alas someone has to pay for the 5 new zones each year.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I keep saying this but it's too bad Vaniki had shit implementation because it was a lot of fun. The low population for the duration is going to keep us from getting anything experimental again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I keep saying this but it's too bad Vaniki had shit implementation because it was a lot of fun. The low population for the duration is going to keep us from getting anything experimental again.
They really just needed a classic launch to get the masses hooked. GoD start meant 90% of the TLP userbase and P99ers were not going to show up period.

Mrniceguy

Trakanon Raider
Too much of Everquests playerbase is dad gamers for these "hard" servers too ever work. Even the guilds on Vaniki don't really put in enough effort to ever really test the limits of what is possible.

• 1Like

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Vaniki wasnt even hard, just a light player base. Most guilds couldnt do the content because they lacked players once the server got into PoP content.

They really just needed a classic launch to get the masses hooked.
I think they should have enough people who have skin in the nostalgia, that some kind "fast acting" 2-month original-PoP tlp, where the selling point would be the ability to quickly launch a character (quick exp, etc.) and have it basically geared so that PoP is when guilds and players have to work hard. I suspect this means nerfing some of the access blocks in pre-PoP expansions so that access to pre-PoP gear does not scare off the dad base. Point would be to sell a different and fast ride to PoP.

This is sellable, no? It's all about how they can get a current or former player to click on a message. "Fast to PoP, fast to 60, and fast boss access. Ready to take off?"

edit: if the retort is, great you've just described a server that will last for a bit over 2 months, then the game itself has to eat some of that blame.

Last edited:

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
They really just needed a classic launch

Yeah. Wouldn't even have to change much. Start at level 40 again, but in classic. Raise it to 50 for Kunark, keep it there until PoP which goes to 55.

Yeah. Wouldn't even have to change much. Start at level 40 again, but in classic. Raise it to 50 for Kunark, keep it there until PoP which goes to 55.
Assuming experimental tlp's for their own sake are not the answer, starting at 40 has very little nostalgia appeal. Give people a speed classic-PoP experience with loot bottlenecks greatly eased. It will be fun for the avg gamer, b/c every few days will be some accomplishment. Then, at PoP, dial back to a normal expansion schedule and loot/exp access.

I'm suggesting people only have 4-6 months of energy in them. Standard tlp schedule satisfies that by PoP. You have to "excite" the players up to (say) PoP, not by simply dropping them at expansion X at level Y. So many people enjoy the character building part of the game. Being given Ding! chips is not the rush they will enjoy. Eliminating 1-30 wastes a journey of major mnemonic added-value of this IP.

Therefore if later expansions are something DPG wants to see people enjoy, heavily front launch them with enticing versions of "speed run" original-release TLP's, that take maybe 2 months to get to PoP. Everyone is fat and happy and not bored yet.

My contention is, DPG should be able to push the tlp "drop off expansion" back once each iteration of this model thus lengthening the IP profit tail and opening up new opportunities to monetize or create access/other TLP's to post-PoP expansions.

If you could get the playerbase to go just one more expansion as the norm, that is some serious $$$ in the generic tlp model you just created. Instead of tricks, just give us a "Cocaine is a hell of a drug" 2 month classic-PoP, then keep us fluffed through PoP, and hope a fire catches. Because you want people to *need* that GoD. And you want this to become the norm.

Last edited:

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I always wanted sort of the opposite. Release in batches, but catch up to normal level/power before releasing more. So when pop-god comes out, you stay 60 a bit, then can be 65. Then when the 70s release, you stay 65 a bit, then later can get 70. Being perpetually behind in levels seemed to scare away a lot of friends, who found it tedious, as the game was always hard mode. What I'm suggesting is instead having a race/challenge period followed by the farm period.

Id like a tss launch personally but I wouldnt expect big pops there. I also think a ton of people would hilariously skip it and do luclin and dodh type shit to 75.